PDA

View Full Version : How come there's no women's Tour of Champions?

brent-o
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:50 AM
With the recent retirement of Davenport, I got to thinking. Has there ever been a women's senior tour? If so, why wasn't it successful? And, if not, why have they not already started one! *jumps up and down* :bounce: :bounce:

No, but seriously, I could see the likes of Graf, Capriati (if she doesn't want to return to "competitive" tennis), Seles (same thing), Davenport and Pierce eventually, and probably Navratilova participating.

Ben.
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:10 AM
yeah i wonder why there's been no women's tour of champions like the mens :confused: really dunno why?

kittyking
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Many of these woman have family committments now though, Steffi and Lindsay are examples of this

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:35 AM
I guess there are not enough players willing to participate :sad:

darrinbaker00
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Because there's no demand for it, that's why. Next topic, please.

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:30 AM
if you ever see the over 35's (never mind over 45's) at Wimbledon, you'll know why :lol: :tape:

its best avoided.

and thats only doubles :help:

brent-o
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Because there's no demand for it, that's why. Next topic, please.

How do you know there's no demand for it? Got some surveys/polls/statistics to back up that rude, ignorant comment?

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:42 PM
If one of the high profile retired players, like Evert, wanted it to happen, she could probably get a sponsor.
Several high profile retired women would have to want this to make it happen.

Dementieva Serve
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I suppose women's tennis isn't liked enough?

brent-o
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:53 PM
It could be that many women who retire from tennis want to start families, be moms, and get away from tennis. Some ATP players want the same but I suspect they have a bit of a "middle-age crisis" eventually and want to get back out there and prove to themselves that they still got it. lol

brent-o
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:57 PM
If one of the high profile retired players, like Evert, wanted it to happen, she could probably get a sponsor.
Several high profile retired women would have to want this to make it happen.

Actually, I'm surprised Billie Jean King hasn't organized a senior tour yet. Seems like something she'd be excited about.

go hingis
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:58 PM
lol, Women are just not as desperate as the men on tour. Lol most guys of the seniors tour a big personalities that just can't let the fame go.

I think if you had enough big names it would be successful, most people who actually attend tennis matches are older.

Scott_tennis
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:58 PM
There was a Virginia Slims Legends tour which appeared at several US cities in the mid- to late- 1990's and included Evert and Navratilova. As I recall, it was set up along "team" lines. I think the tour lasted for two or three years, but I am not sure if it was a box office success. Does anyone else have any details (results, etc.) from that tour?

switz
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:00 AM
no sponsorship dollars would be my best guess. Maybe when Kournikova is old enough it will happen ;)

tenn_ace
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:09 AM
everyone is scared of Martina N. She'll beat all of them.

Drake1980
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:13 AM
if you ever see the over 35's (never mind over 45's) at Wimbledon, you'll know why :lol: :tape:

its best avoided.

and thats only doubles :help:

:lol: can't be that bad!

tennisvideos
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:27 AM
There was a Virginia Slims Legends tour which appeared at several US cities in the mid- to late- 1990's and included Evert and Navratilova. As I recall, it was set up along "team" lines. I think the tour lasted for two or three years, but I am not sure if it was a box office success. Does anyone else have any details (results, etc.) from that tour?

I have a few programs and memorabillia from the Virginia Slims Legends tour which contains results but I am in the middle of packing to move to a new house so I can't access it right now. Evert & Navratilova used to play singles (just best of 3 tie-breaks - not actual sets) and then they would join in with the other girls and play sets of doubles.

The other players often changed but included: King, Casals, Goolagong, Dalton, Wade, Turnbull, Austin, Durr, Richey, Morozova, Stove amongst others.

I also have collected a few videos of the series including a 2 hour TV special when they played in Richmond, Virginia. I think Evert beat Navratilova in that clash in the 3rd tiebreak. It was lots of fun and a shame it disbanded after a few years. There is a classic moment in the Richmond footage where Virginia cracks up giggling on the court for a few minutes and literally cannot serve due to her laughing fit. All the girls seemed to be really enjoying themselves without the pressures of the tour. :)