PDA

View Full Version : Shamil Tarpischev: we are killing American tennis

ys
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/2006/12/a_1170620.shtml

- Russia is the biggest tennis superpower rigth now, we won DC and FC twice in last 5 years. No one is even close.
- Russia has the best system of junior training, and because of that by the age of 14 we have the best juniors in the world. If they would have somehow stayed in Russia, they would have stalled the progress of the next generation, so we are happy that they are moving to train abroad and taking the precious spots in the best training pro academies.. All of them anyway will play for Russia in future.. We had 360 juniors playing in 56 countries last year.. We could not be able to handle all of them at home..

yukon145
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:26 AM
your title is really misleading

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:32 AM
yeah its not saying about us tennis

Epigone
Dec 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM
your title is really misleadingyeah its not saying about us tennisThe title of the thread refers to the title of article (Мы убиваем американский теннис), which in turn refers to this:Сейчас у нас 17 человек в мировой сотне женского тенниса. Значит, в Америке уровень женского тенниса падает – своих совсем не осталось. Мы фактически убиваем теннис в Америке.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:37 PM
The credit belongs to the parents, who push their kids, and if they show talent, take them to coaches.
In the US, parents put their daughters in team sports like soccer, basketball, softball.
There is little money in those pro sports for women.

tenn_ace
Dec 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM
yeah, when I saw this article on the Russian website (before it was posted here), I expected to see some analysis, but it was nothing more than an attempt to connect 2 completely different things.

jazar
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:45 PM
according to johnny mac the russians literally are hungrier than everyone else, cos they are playing for the lives

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:47 PM
according to johnny mac the russians literally are hungrier than everyone else, cos they are playing for the lives

johnny mac knows nothing :rolleyes: :rolleyes: just a foul mouth who thinks he knows it all and is gods gift to tennis.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:56 PM
They aren't so hungry

http://www.zvonareva.ru/diary/en/2.jpg

FrenchY52
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:04 PM
pfff :tape:

Tenis Srbija
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:28 PM

:lol: :lol:
What a load of bullshit!!!
Who ever can afford to play tennis is not playing for his "life" :rolleyes:

miffedmax
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I think the bit about many US girls doing other sports is true. From hanging out with many overly competitive soccer parents, I think there is also a difference in aspirations.

Most middle-class and upper middle-class kids pursue sports with a college scholarship, not a professional career in mind. I think this because parents have a partly true, partly overly optimisitic sense that a kid is more likely to qualify for a scholarship than be a successful pro, and the fact that rising education costs are pricing many Americans out of top-rated private and public universities unless they have some kind of scholarship.

Thanks to Title 9, many US schools have more women's scholarships for team sports like soccer and basketball. Since soccer and basketball have more members on a team, your odds of getting a scholarship are somewhat higher. Also, for a lot of kids the social advantages of being on a team are very attractive, rather than focusing on an individual sport. I think that may be more true for girls than boys--again, my not at all statistically valid sample of personal experiences tells me that a boy will eventually focus on the sport he's best at, while a girl will consider factors like if she likes the coach, her teammates, and what she enjoys most (which may not be what she does best).

Now I may be wrong, but I get the impression that in much of the rest of the world college sports are less important to people, and not as much of an avenue to pursue one's higher education. Tennis will always attract more talented girls because it's the one sport where you can make as much as a male athlete (except, of course, at Wimbledon).

So I think competition from other sports may hurt the woman's gam in the US. But I think it will also sort of sort itself out and I'm certain we'll see US women back in the Top 10 before the end of the decade.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:44 PM
There is a "I want to please daddy" element to a 9 year old girl spending hours on the tennis court.
In the US, tennis is not on the dad's radar.

TonyP
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I think miffedmax has some very valid points about the US situation.

On the women's side, I don't think a lot of American girls see themselves becoming professional athletes anyway. And today, you don't have to do much study to realize that to succeed at tennis, you pretty much have to devote your life to the sport from a very young age, as almost every tennis success story makes clear.

So, if you are interested in sports, but still want a career in some other area, plus want marriage and kids, plus want to have some fun socializing during your college years, the smart move is probably not to go for tennis, but for women's basketball or soccer or something, even though these sports do not offer much opportunity for women who want to turn pro.

In Russia and the other former soviet bloc countries, as well as in China and many other places today, there is a lot more economic incentive to try for a professional career in sports and of course, tennis is the career that really pays, at least if you get into the top ranks.

The one part I disagree with is whether this is just a short term problem for America, or whether we are seeing a major trend here.

Here's the problem, which I have also spelled out in other threads. Americans are pretty nationalistic (called it jingoistic if you want) and don't spend too much time rooting for non-Americans. And American TV has long proven that it doesn't really want to show anyone but Americans playing matches. (Which is why we've been forced to sit through every clunker delivered by Andy Roddick in the last five years.)

So if American TV finds fewer and fewer American girls to show in the second week of major tournaments, it is going to show less of those tournaments, which means tennis will fall father off the radar for the athletically talented American girl.

They may have wanted to grow up to be Billie Jean and then Chrissy and then Jennifer and then Venus and Serena, but I am not sure how many American girls will want to grow up to be the next Maria or Svetlana.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Tennis doesn't need the US.
The YEC is in Madrid, for men it's in China.
More and more Tier I's will be outside the US.
The US is a lot like the UK. If they didn't have a major, they wouldn't be too involved in the sport.

miffedmax
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Tennis, like Formula One and soccer, may not "need" the U.S. But I'd like to think my country can contribute more to the sport than a tournament and a large check.

We've produced a lot of great players and fans over the years. I'd like to think we will continue to do both.

I do think that, eventually, we'll see talented young female athletes return to tennis, because I think we're going to see more girls start to go with the boy trend of playing the sport your best at. Also, we're a nation of immigrants, and when a Monica or a Martina gets those citizenship papers many of us will embrace them as our own. I think this abilty to create "instant role models" sets us apart from Britain. Interestingly, it's also instructive that when I asked a couple of 10-year-old girls who their favorite player was, they replied "Andy Roddick."

I don't think we'll ever see the US as dominant in the women's game as it was in the past. But I stand by my prediction there will be a US woman ensconced firmly in the Top 10 by the end of the decade.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:00 PM
The end of this decade? I don't think so.

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I think US facilities should stop giving these Russians a free ride and let them stay their disrespectful asses in Russia and lets see where it gets them.

darrinbaker00
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:06 PM
The US is a lot like the UK. If they didn't have a major, they wouldn't be too involved in the sport.
If tennis doesn't need the United States, then why does every tournament except the four majors award prize money in American dollars?

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:11 PM
They give some of the top Russian juniors free everything because the management companies eventually might make a profit on them.

As far as US dollars, I have no idea. But I think Myskina skipped every California tournament in 2005, and there are a lot of them.
After the 2009 roadmap, there might be less of them.

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I just hate it when agitators like YS try to act like Russians walk on water and the US is coming apart at the seams...He lives in the US...if Russia is so great..take your ass back home...The bottom line is that these Russian tennis players are freeloaders just like YS...

darrinbaker00
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM
They give some of the top Russian juniors free everything because the management companies eventually might make a profit on them.

As far as US dollars, I have no idea. But I know Myskina skipped every California tournament in 2005, and there are a lot of them.
After the 2009 roadmap, there might be less of them.
You can talk about tennis being a "global" sport all you want, but the American dollar was, is, and always will be the driving force behind the sport. The richest tournament in the world isn't held in China or Madrid; it's held in New York City, and that is not a coincidence. Greater popularity here in the States means more money for everyone, and only the very naive would think otherwise.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM
He isn't saying anything bad about the US. I mean in GM or RR. I don't read non-tennis too much.
The discussion here is tennis.

Paneru
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I think US facilities should stop giving these Russians a free ride and let them stay their disrespectful asses in Russia and lets see where it gets them.

That would turn things in a different
direction, BIG TIME!

"Train in the country to which you
play for" would have a major impact.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:21 PM
The US has a major. So does England.
Those aren't opened up for bids to other countries.

The way Dubai spends hundreds of millions on race horses, they might have bought a major, if they had the chance.

But having a major doesn't mean your country is the best place for Tier I's.

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:26 PM

The way Dubai spends hundreds of millions on race horses, they might have bought a major, if they had the chance.

The bottom line is Russia is broke...the Tennis Federation there has no money...people have no money to attend tennis matches...Their players have to leave the country to get quality training and yet Russian officials have the nerve to bragg? And dog the US in the process? Talk about biting the f'ing hands that feeds your hungry ass...:rolleyes:

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:27 PM
The US has a lot of money that goes into sports. And that's great.
Tennis has other places around the world that also offer decent money.

Isn't it smart for them to view the whole picture?
Even though the US has been a huge part of tennis history, the world is a big place.

tenn_ace
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:29 PM
The bottom line is Russia is broke...the Tennis Federation there has no money...people have no money to attend tennis matches...Their players have to leave the country to get quality training and yet Russian officials have the nerve to bragg? And dog the US in the process? Talk about biting the f'ing had that feeds your hungry ass...:rolleyes:

Do they go to the academies for free? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. Any information? I always thought that kids usually need sponsors to get accepted into these tennis academies unless they uber talented. (like Maria)

darrinbaker00
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:33 PM

When American players are at the top of the rankings, American viewers watch. When American viewers watch, everyone in the sport--players, tournament promoters, national tennis federations--make more money. Also, as other posters have pointed out, quite a few international players live and/or train in the States. As long as tennis needs American money, tennis needs America. Period.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:33 PM
And when they are talented, IMG pays their expenses. It's an investment for IMG.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:35 PM
When American players are at the top of the rankings, American viewers watch. When American viewers watch, everyone in the sport--players, tournament promoters, national tennis federations--make more money. Also, as other posters have pointed out, quite a few international players live and/or train in the States. As long as tennis needs American money, tennis needs America. Period.I don't know the numbers. So I'm only guessing here.
I'm guessing many popular sports like soccer and cricket have huge incomes outside the US.

darrinbaker00
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:38 PM
And when they are talented, IMG pays their expenses. It's an investment for IMG.
Are you talking about the sports-management company headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, or is there another IMG out there?

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Are you talking about the sports-management company headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, or is there another IMG out there?

HELLO...American money...:tape:

And where the heck would these Russians get the money from to pay these expensive academies?

darrinbaker00
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I don't know the numbers. So I'm only guessing here.
I'm guessing many popular sports like soccer and cricket have huge incomes outside the US.
As you yourself said earlier, the discussion is about tennis. There's no question that if a football player wants to play against the best players and make some money, Europe is the place to be. Tennis, however, is not football. Tennis needs American dollars to survive.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Even if it needs American dollars, there is other money out there.
I like the idea of raising the ante to host a Tier I.
There are countries, or companies, that will pay the increased amount.
Doha and Dubai want Tier I's. China wants a WTA Tier I.
There is money in Madrid.
I'm all for the WTA looking at all the possibilities out there.

the cat
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Do they go to the academies for free? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. Any information? I always thought that kids usually need sponsors to get accepted into these tennis academies unless they uber talented. (like Maria)

This is true.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Myskina, Chakvetadze, and Dementieva have always lived in Moscow. Sveta trained in Spain. So did Dinara . Petrova trained in Russia, Egypt and Poland. And Denmark.
So the vast majority aren't US based or US trained.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Dec 20th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Yes .

No more Roddicks and Blakes . :woohoo: :woohoo:

darrinbaker00
Dec 20th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Myskina, Chakvetadze, and Dementieva have always lived in Moscow. Sveta trained in Spain. So did Dinara . Petrova trained in Russia, Egypt and Poland. And Denmark.
So the vast majority aren't US based or US trained.
I said "quite a few" international (not just Russian) players live and/or train in the States, not a "vast majority." Also, I'd be willing to bet that the endorsement checks they all cash are made out in American dollars, regardless of where they live.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I don't know about the dollars.
I know none of the Russian players are anti-American.
Most of them choose to live somewhere else.
Sveta goes back and forth from St. Petersburg and just outside Barcelona.
Dinara goes back and forth from Moscow to Monte Carlo.
Anna C, Lena D and Nastya all live in Moscow. Nadia recently bought a place in Moscow. She has(had?) a place in Demnark.

Corswandt
Dec 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
But I stand by my prediction there will be a US woman ensconced firmly in the Top 10 by the end of the decade.

Why would she need to be "ensconced"? So that the rest of the top 10 doesn't find her and whomp her 2 and 1?

Before you correct me, yes I know there's two meanings to that word. But I couldn't resist.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 07:50 PM
It's not anti-US to want the tour to be strong globally.
The NBA is trying to expand. Even the NFL is trying to make more money globally.

darrinbaker00
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:01 PM
It's not anti-US to want the tour to be strong globally.
No, but it is anti-U.S. to say that tennis doesn't need the U.S., which was your original point. If you think that professional tennis can survive without the American dollar, that's your business, but everything points to the opposite being true. No matter how much the sport grows around the world, it will still need a strong American presence to maintain its financial health. Since you conceded that point earlier, I'll not discuss it any further than this.

saki
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
If the cheques are being written in dollars, the players are losing out! The dollar is weak, they should have them written in Euros/Sterling.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:15 PM
If the cheques are being written in dollars, the players are losing out! The dollar is weak, they should have them written in Euros/Sterling.I don't know about this at all.
I think that it's in the best interest of tennis for the ATP and WTA to view tennis as a global sport, and not as a US sport that wants to expand.

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:16 PM
If the cheques are being written in dollars, the players are losing out! The dollar is weak, they should have them written in Euros/Sterling.

ATP pay out in Euros in Euro tourns.
WTA should follow suit.

King of Prussia
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
75% of Slams and 66% of Masters Series are played outside the US. And there was talk of moving Indian Wells. It doesn't need the US to survive. There is a booming market in Asia for example... Cheques are written in US dollars, who cares. They could write them in euros if they would want to.

The_Pov
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I don't know what the huge fuss is about, these girls may play for many different countries but tennis is an individual sport. Maria may have been trained by the US and may play under Russia's flag but at the end of the day Maria plays for Maria.

That's the problem with tennis on a whole, these girls don't ever promote the sport, they're always promoting themselves!

WIMBLY2004
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Well, if this happens, a lot of these US facilities may have to close as they can't make money from big time players. Many of them are private organisations, they are not there to promote US tennis, they exit because they want to make money. They live on talents, when there are not enough talents in US, they have to find them some where else. You can say foreign players became successful because the training they got in the US facilities, you can also say that the US facilities continue to be successful because they can make money from these foreign players.

tenn_ace
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Well, if this happens, a lot of these US facilities may have to close as they can't make money from big time players. Many of them are private organisations, they are not there to promote US tennis, they exit because they want to make money. They live on talents, when there are not enough talents in US, they have to find them some where else. You can say foreign players became successful because the training they got in the US facilities, you can also say that the US facilities continue to be successful because they can make money from these foreign players.

And if these US facilities stop accepting Russian/other countries talent, this talent will go to Australia, Spain and South America. :p

Corswandt
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:48 AM
Now I may be wrong, but I get the impression that in much of the rest of the world college sports are less important to people, and not as much of an avenue to pursue one's higher education.

College sports are far from a priority here, to students and to the universities alike. Some of the universities can barely afford to pay the teachers, let alone build and maintain sports facilities.

But the main reason for this is that in Europe, unlike the US, college sports aren't the main source of new talents for the professional team sports. The selection, formation and training of the future (football) pros is made by the clubs through their own canteras.

ys
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:57 AM
The thing is .. American jnior tennis system does not have a similar working ethics system.. Comparing to Russian junior training, bootcamps are vacations.
Say, take Ksenia Pervak, one of the most promising Russian junior. She is a daughter of multi-millionair.. Can you imagine
a daughter of American super-rich, say, Paris Hilton, :rolls: sweating out 6 hours of heavy physical training every day? :lol:

Florida
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:03 AM
American tennis is average folks like me playing doubles 2-3 times a week for recreation, much like golf.

I don't think Americans put that much emphasis on beating the world in tennis.

I just want to win MY next match. And I don't mind if Federer or Safin win on the pro level.

Actually I wourld rather see Safin win.

morningglory
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:57 AM
Well, The decline of American tennis has NOTHING to do with Russia anyways :lol: Nice logic, Shamil :lol:

switz
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:09 AM

no it really does need the US. I say that as someone who doesn't particular like American in general as well.

ttaM
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:30 AM
And of all the players that have come out of Russia over the years it takes just two Belgians to clobber them 90% of the time.

I don't see how Russia is killing American tennis. Lazy Americans are killing American tennis.

Russia might have at the moment a great amount of players coming up and having success in juniors, but we all know that doesn't equal success in the pros.

goldenlox
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:32 AM
Americans aren't lazy. The NFL is brutal.
The USTA has let tennis fall off the map in the US.

Any pro sport requires an insane work ethic that most people never approach.

Leopold Stotch
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
Football is doing just fine with it's Euros/GBP.

Of course any sport would be happy to take advantage of the American market but the suggestion from some posters that the sport of tennis depends on the US Dollar... :lol:

goldenlox
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Football is doing just fine with it's Euros/GBP.

Of course any sport would be happy to take advantage of the American market but the suggestion from some posters that the sport of tennis depends on the US Dollar... :lol:In the US, they only think about the US.
There's a whole world out there ..

Dementinator
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:46 PM
some good points here for both sides of the argument. As much as I love America etc ,they DO need to realise its only a small part of the planet earth ,there is a lot going on outside .

AS far as Tennis needing usa? well , I have no idea as I am no expert ,but obviously the US getting behind tennis and promoting it more ,can only be a good thing ,so it will certainly help.

slk45
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:08 PM
Can you imagine a daughter of American super-rich, say, Paris Hilton, :rolls: sweating out 6 hours of heavy physical training every day? :lol::scared: Please! Let's try to keep this discussion on a high level.

Americans aren't lazy. The NFL is brutal.
The USTA has let tennis fall off the map in the US.To rekindle a previous argument, it is the WTA that has let tennis fall off the map in the U.S. The USTA -- despite a great deal of wasteful irrelevant spending -- is doing its thing: promoting tennis at the community level and also promoting its own professional tournaments. It is the WTA that claims, and exerts, authority over women's professional tennis, including professional development.

In the US, they only think about the US.
There's a whole world out there ..While there is some truth to this, the notion is largely overdone. Whoever "they" are, the same argument could be made for France, or Slovakia, or Italy, or Russia, or Japan, or wherever. I think their fans are even more nationalistic that "we" are, in the context of tennis. As for me, I stick with my players, no matter what country they're from or where they're playing.

miffedmax
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
The thing is .. American jnior tennis system does not have a similar working ethics system.. Comparing to Russian junior training, bootcamps are vacations.
Say, take Ksenia Pervak, one of the most promising Russian junior. She is a daughter of multi-millionair.. Can you imagine
a daughter of American super-rich, say, Paris Hilton, :rolls: sweating out 6 hours of heavy physical training every day? :lol:

Please, don't use Paris as an example of the American work ethic.

Or anything else.

goldenlox
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:14 AM
To rekindle a previous argument, it is the WTA that has let tennis fall off the map in the U.S. The USTA -- despite a great deal of wasteful irrelevant spending -- is doing its thing: promoting tennis at the community level and also promoting its own professional tournaments. It is the WTA that claims, and exerts, authority over women's professional tennis, including professional development.
It's the USTA's fault. Men's tennis is in bad shape also. I read 8% of the US know who Federer is.
There is no tennis on US network tv after the USO. The networks put on all kinds of minor sports, like ironman triathlon, curling and rollerblading.
But no tennis.

slk45
Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:02 AM
It's the USTA's fault. Men's tennis is in bad shape also. I read 8% of the US know who Federer is.
Look to the ATP on that account. And who is the WTA emulating? The ATP. Same result.

There is no tennis on US network tv after the USO. The networks put on all kinds of minor sports, like ironman triathlon, curling and rollerblading.
But no tennis.I know! But that's the WTA's bailiwick, not the USTA!! The USTA has no rights to broadcast anyone else's tournaments, and is subject to WTA requirements concerning its own tournaments.

ys
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:41 AM
Money-wise, America is not goign anywhere. There are millions of people here playing the game, quite possible a number comparable to the number of people from the rest of the world regularly picking up a racquet.. They won't stop loving tennis. They won't stop watching it. They won't stop buying racquets. meaning, the money will be there regardless of whether America wins another Slam this century or not. It's also true that America does not have that many of obsessed parents, ready to rob their child of a happy and easy childhood to satify their own ambitions. People, driven by those ambitions as much as , say, Yuri Sharapov, or Richard Williams are rare here.. In Russia and Eastern Europe they are not. We are not in position to judge anyone.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:53 AM
I just hate it when agitators like YS try to act like Russians walk on water and the US is coming apart at the seams...He lives in the US...if Russia is so great..take your ass back home...The bottom line is that these Russian tennis players are freeloaders just like YS...

Holla!

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:55 AM
Money-wise, America is not goign anywhere. .
Talk about denial. :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, but I wouldn't want to be a resident in Russia, where the quality of life is far below the US's. Russia has decades to go in order to catch up to our quality of life.

Its largely why Russians like Maria prefer to live in the US.

Tell us. Why do you live in the US????

slk45
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:21 AM
It's also true that America does not have that many of obsessed parents, ready to rob their child of a happy and easy childhood to satify their own ambitions. People, driven by those ambitions as much as , say, Yuri Sharapov, or Richard Williams are rare here.. In Russia and Eastern Europe they are not. We are not in position to judge anyone.
Have you not seen Little League parents, football parents, soccer parents? Their motivation is certainly not economic, as is often the case with Russian or Eastern European parents, and in a number of cases the latter see tennis as a way out. But the American parents mentioned are no less obsessed. btw, the first 3 sentences quoted above seem to be incompatible with your last sentence.

Talk about denial. I think you misunderstood ys' comment on money.

Leopold Stotch
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Have you not seen Little League parents, football parents, soccer parents? Their motivation is certainly not economic, as is often the case with Russian or Eastern European parents, and in a number of cases the latter see tennis as a way out. But the American parents mentioned are no less obsessed. btw, the first 3 sentences quoted above seem to be incompatible with your last sentence.

I think you misunderstood ys' comment on money.
Russia has arguably the fastest growing middle class in the world right now thanks to Putin's recovery of Russian assets which were stolen during the 90s. Most of the top players come from middle class backgrounds.

goldenlox
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:20 PM

As I said earlier in this thread, Sveta, Nadia, Lena, Nastya, Dinara, and Chakvetadze are all Russians in the top 20 who don't live in the US.

Sefo
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Can you imagine coaches like Yuri S. training american kids?
Kids would sue him right away for taking 'work ethics' too seriously.
They wanna stay fat. They want sweets before meal.

the cat
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
America still produces top tennis players. But most of them are from Russia and other countries. ;)

Leopold Stotch
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
Can you imagine coaches like Yuri S. training american kids?
Kids would sue him right away for taking 'work ethics' too seriously.
They wanna stay fat. They want sweets before meal.
First your kid has to have a natural affinity and love for the sport. The work ethic is a natural progression from there. Can't be forced.

Maria is where she is because she likes the sport first and then because her family made the necessary steps to enable her to pursue a professional career.

I think even for middle class parents today it is a very expensive and risky endeavor.

Joana
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
Talk about denial. :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, but I wouldn't want to be a resident in Russia, where the quality of life is far below the US's. Russia has decades to go in order to catch up to our quality of life.

Tell us. Why do you live in the US????

Talk about missing the point. :weirdo: You obviously have no idea what he was saying, but as long as you can spout some venom it's all good.