PDA

View Full Version : Perth: Venus out of the Hopman Cup AD.

tennnisfannn
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:12 AM
The ads started running again this week and this time there is no clip of Venus. Wonder if this means she is not coming. I can only hope that becuase they are using the clips off the previous hopman cup matches, venus is not being featured. Prevously they have been using a clip of venus off a past AO. Any perth vieweres noticed this too?
I will hold out hope for venus in perth. Come on Venus!

~Eclipsed~
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:49 AM
oh no! :sad:

I had a bad feeling this would happen...

Cat's Pajamas
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:58 AM
:unsure: :unsure:

:o:o

Direwolf
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:28 AM
The ads started running again this week and this time there is no clip of Venus. Wonder if this means she is not coming. I can only hope that becuase they are using the clips off the previous hopman cup matches, venus is not being featured. Prevously they have been using a clip of venus off a past AO. Any perth vieweres noticed this too?
I will hold out hope for venus in perth. Come on Venus!

I wanted to ask if they showed all the players that are competing??
who did they show?

Martian Stacey
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I wouldn't read to much into it yet... I'd wait for official confirmation

Not being in an ad doesn't mean that much. As you said, they may have just been showing footage from previous years and obviously Venus won't be in those clips ;)

DutchieGirl
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Maybe you should change the title to put a question mark in it (or something)...coz it looks like you are making a statement that she is definetely out of the HC in your title...(also "AD" is a newspaper in some countries so...)

SelesFan70
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Surely no one would be surprised...I hope. :lol: Did y'all see the amount of tape on her wrists from the exhibitions? :help:

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Surely no one would be surprised...I hope. :lol: Did y'all see the amount of tape on her wrists from the exhibitions? :help:

Lisa Raymond better have call waiting :p Between Hopman and the Ausie Open begging her to accept a WC :lol: :lol: But seriously...i hope Venus plays :cool:

aussy89
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:37 AM
raymond an stosur should of been asked in th first place. but um the ads havn featured alicia molik or mark or none of the new players so i dont think u need to be alarmed of anything jus yet.

Jeff
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
All I can say is, the last thing I want is for Venus to be injured and play here and then say she can't play in Australia. However, if she is healthy to play here i hope she does.

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:04 AM
maybe they dont want to advertise her and then her pull out

thats disappointment right there

Andy.
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Please be OK Venus your the only one I really want to see at this event. But health comes first.

tennnisfannn
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I wanted to ask if they showed all the players that are competing??
who did they show?
venus is the biggest draw card, it is not as if they would just choose to leave her out. She was the face of this year's cup (06/07), she was on the wensite, the ads in the papers and in the promos on t.v too. Seems they have deliberately left her out.

:inlove:
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I can't be bothered to be dissapointed anymore. :lol:
Anyway she might still play. :angel: :unsure: Don't read too much into it.

pooh14
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:18 PM
i thik they organizers are just playing safe by not putting her on the poster since she usually pulls out

RJWCapriati
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:51 PM
:scared:

-Makiri-
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:53 PM
:sad:

Go Venus! :sad:

winone23
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I hope she plays my gut tells me she will, but then again my gut has about a 12% accuracy rate. If she doesn't play here I hope she plays some mixed doubles matches at the slams.

darrinbaker00
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM
venus is the biggest draw card, it is not as if they would just choose to leave her out. She was the face of this year's cup (06/07), she was on the wensite, the ads in the papers and in the promos on t.v too. Seems they have deliberately left her out.
Venus is my favorite player by a longshot, but I think more people in Perth would rather see a returning Alicia Molik.

cartmancop
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I hadn't heard that Fish replaced Dent until I saw it on the site...That's good news for me, I like Fish much better...

Highlandman
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I hope she plays :eek: :sad: :sad:

Cat's Pajamas
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Actually this doesn't make any sense to me. :shrug:

I mean every time she has pulled out the tournament organizers waited till the last minute to say, and kept her on their ads and such. The Hopman Cup would keep her withdrawal hush-hush if she did withdraw and keep promoting her for ticket sales.

So I doubt she has withdrawn [yet] and they are just using a different promo to maybe draw in another crowd. :shrug:

The Dawntreader
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Is there any official confirmation or are we just going on the basis that her picture isnt up?:rolleyes: :lol:

I hope she plays, was never confident about her playing this tourny:scared:

lloyders76
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM
i'm right in thinking that venus hasn't been hitting anything other than slice on her backhand since october?

and its the bedrock of her game, by and large?

why on earth are people hoping she plays in australia then?

surely she needs to heal up and not return till she's able to hit her double handed backhand

can anyone even see her getting back in the top 30 if she can't hit an offensive shot on the backhand side?

ps i know she beat serena twice on the macdonalds tour playing this way - that doesn't make me optomistic for venus, just astonished at how poorly serena must be playing

darrinbaker00
Dec 20th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Because there's another person involved in the equation, I think Venus will play, even with a bad wrist. She didn't leave Bob Bryan hanging at Wimbledon, and I don't see her leaving Mardy Fish hanging in Perth.

vw.
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Because there's another person involved in the equation, I think Venus will play, even with a bad wrist. She didn't leave Bob Bryan hanging at Wimbledon, and I don't see her leaving Mardy Fish hanging in Perth.
I think it was different at Wimbledon because it was AT WIMBLEDON and she was already into the tournament when her wrist was bad. Well, if not, she didn't know her wrist was going to end up being that bad after the tourney.

I think she definitely won't play this time if her wrist's bad, cuz she'd end up sacrificing the important start to a player's season.

switz
Dec 20th, 2006, 09:09 PM
It's not like you can judge from posters whether or not a player is coming. The normal practice of these tournaments is to promote the player's appearance even when they know full well they are going to pull out. I would suggest it is just because she hasn't played there before.

new-york
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:06 PM
:scared:

^^^.

darrinbaker00
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I think it was different at Wimbledon because it was AT WIMBLEDON and she was already into the tournament when her wrist was bad. Well, if not, she didn't know her wrist was going to end up being that bad after the tourney.

I think she definitely won't play this time if her wrist's bad, cuz she'd end up sacrificing the important start to a player's season.
If this were a singles-only event, I would agree with you, but if Venus were to pull out at the last minute, that would leave Mardy Fish without a partner and out of the tournament. Present circumstances notwithstanding, I would like to think that Venus is enough of a professional not to do that to Fish.

GracefulVenus
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:15 PM
C'mon Venus Playyyyyyyyyyyyy!

tennnisfannn
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:14 AM
we were right to be suspicious after all.

tennisbum79
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:12 AM
When will she ever be healthy (again)?

If has been months, and and her writs has not gotten better to play.
It looks like 2007 will be like 2006, with declining ranking.
And she gets older, it will be more difficult to get in optimum shape.