PDA

View Full Version : Let's play "Remember when Davenport..."

Leo_DFP
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Remember when Davenport beat Nathalie Dechy in the semis of Indian Wells '04, hitting three aces in a row from 3-4, 30-40 down in the 2nd, another three consecutive aces from 4-5, 15-30 down, more big serving from 5-6, 0-40 down, and then finishing off the match on her 10th ace in the tiebreak?

Let's keep this going. :D

supergrunt
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Remember when Davenport lost a match point to Venus Williams at the 2005 Wimbledon final? :D

The Daviator
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Remember when Davenport beat Nathalie Dechy in the semis of Indian Wells '04, hitting three aces in a row from 3-4, 30-40 down in the 2nd, another three consecutive aces from 4-5, 15-30 down, more big serving from 5-6, 0-40 down, and then finishing off the match on her 10th ace in the tiebreak?

Let's keep this going. :D

You have some memory :tape: :lol:

Remember when Davenport nearly walked off the court at the YEC '05 cos she was tired of waiting for Maria to finish her celebrating? :lol:

jimbo mack
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:29 PM
remember her 6/0 6/0 win over screamapova indian wells 05? :devil: :angel:

frenchie
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Let's remember when Lindsay lost 2 times in straight sets to Myskina at the end of 2004 after dominating their previous meetings!

Craigy
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Remember when Davenport lost a match point to Venus Williams at the 2005 Wimbledon final? :D

:weirdo:

jimbo mack
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Let's remember when Lindsay lost 2 times in straight sets to Myskina at the end of 2004 after dominating their previous meetings!

i prefer to remember their last meeting ;) semis of zurich 2005, think lindsay won 6/0 6/4 :p

Ferosh
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:35 PM

:weirdo: I'm not even going to type what I was thinking.

jimbo mack
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:36 PM

mmm, let me think :rolleyes: i do remember lindsay crushing venus for the loss of 3 games in philadelphia 1999 :)

Ferosh
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Remember when she actually RAN during the final points of that match. :sad:

Leo_DFP
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:37 PM
You have some memory :tape: :lol:

Remember when Davenport nearly walked off the court at the YEC '05 cos she was tired of waiting for Maria to finish her celebrating? :lol:

I just re-watched that Dechy match again recently, but it's one of my favorite Lindsay service patches ever. :D

I also love that moment of her not waiting for Sharapova to finish her dramatics. Stupid Maria who then tanked her next match in the round robin. :rolleyes:

LH2HBH
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Remember when Lindsay came back from a set down in the 2nd round of the Australian Open 2003 to beat the talented Iroda Tulyaganova 6-7, 6-4, 7-5.

In the second set she looked so pissed off she almost walked away from the match.

Her big groundies saved the day and she walked away with a win and a big uncharacteristic scream "YES!" at the end!

frenchie
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM
i prefer to remember their last meeting ;) semis of zurich 2005, think lindsay won 6/0 6/4 :p

OK only the good memories for Lindsay;)
remember when she won everything during the summer of 2004
Stanford, LA, San Diego and Cincinnati
:worship:

Leo_DFP
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:40 PM
mmm, let me think :rolleyes: i do remember lindsay crushing venus for the loss of 3 games in philadelphia 1999 :)

And the same in Hong Kong 2006. ;)

Does anyone remember when Davenport, in the 2nd round of the '02 US Open against Petra Mandula, just sat down in her chair after the first rain drop and would not budge until the court was completely dry? She was the boss of that court, and not taking any risks after the knee surgery.

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Remember when Davenport lost to Sharapova at Wimbledon in 2004 and everyone thought she was as good as retired. It's funny because there were a lot of people on these boards who counted her out at that time. Only a few peeps could imagine her playing in another slam final. And an even smaller amount of people that could believe she could get to two slam finals. And not a single person that could believe it would happen twice in the same year. We all know she also went on to finish 2004 ranked number one. Then managed to do it again the following year. Just when you think she's no longer a major threat, she reminds you why she is!!

The Daviator
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:43 PM
OK only the good memories for Lindsay;)
remember when she won everything during the summer of 2004
Stanford, LA, San Diego and Cincinnati
:worship:

:hearts:

jimbo mack
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Does anyone remember when Davenport, in the 2nd round of the '02 US Open against Petra Mandula, just sat down in her chair after the first rain drop and would not budge until the court was completely dry? She was the boss of that court, and not taking any risks after the knee surgery.

Go lindsay! this is why i love her, she stood by what she believed in

!<blocparty>!
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Remember when Lindsay Davenport constantly showed more class than the majority of other players on tour had in their middle finger.

Remember how she credited her opponents, and hardly ever took anything away from their wins with uppity, arrogant, immature comments.

Remember how she used to be one of, if not THE most popular person with all the other players. Rememer how much respect she had from everyone and how they all spoke so positively about her.

jimbo mack
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:47 PM
i still can't believe i'm not going to see her play again :sad: (i'm still mourning! lol). wimbledon will not be the same without her, it was strange enough her not being there this year.

LeRoy.
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Remember when Lindsay defeated Kim Clijsters at RG in 2005 after coming back from 1-6 1-3 down.:eek: She had lost to Kim several times in a row before that and to come back from a huge deficit and beat such a tough opponent on red clay which is arguably Lindsays worst surface was such a big shock. :worship: :bowdown:

auntie janie
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Remember many years ago when Linds wrote a letter to TENNIS Magazine that appeared in their regular Letters column? She made fun of an article of theirs which had warned (if I recall correctly) of a sad decline US pro tennis, and which had pointed specifically to Lindsay's (slight) fall in rank the past year. This was before Lindsay became the champion we know, but she was already feisty and she jumped all over that criticism. She wrote: "Oh no, I dropped all the way down from number eight to NUMBER 12? How horrible! I might as well retire!" :lol: Maybe that was when I started to really like old Linds, writing to Tennis Magazine to call them on their crap. :hearts:

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Remember when Lindsay Davenport constantly showed more class than the majority of other players on tour had in their middle finger.

Remember how she credited her opponents, and hardly ever took anything away from their wins with uppity, arrogant, immature comments.

Remember how she used to be one of, if not THE most popular person with all the other players. Rememer how much respect she had from everyone and how they all spoke so positively about her....suddenly remembering my feelings about some of her fans- j/k :angel: (all in good fun) but fo real though!

Ben.
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:58 PM

:lol: screamapova

I remember when she beat her nemesis Kim at 2005 FO after trailing 1-6 1-3 when most ppl thought that kim would win easily. a lot of us were proven wrong :lol: a memory i don't really wanna remember but one that i thought was good to bring up :)

then lindsay beat kim again at wimbledon a few weeks later.

Ben.
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Remember when Lindsay defeated Kim Clijsters at RG in 2005 after coming back from 1-6 1-3 down.:eek: She had lost to Kim several times in a row before that and to come back from a huge deficit and beat such a tough opponent on red clay which is arguably Lindsays worst surface was such a big shock. :worship: :bowdown:

u outposted me there on that one :lol:

i remember when lindsay beat alicia molik in a 3 set thriller. great match & a match where some of us thought lindsay would break down after she had lost the 2nd set :lol: no she proved us wrong again & again like she has done so many times.

jimbo mack
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Does anyone remember lindsay's 1st title in 1993 in lucerne on clay? I wasn't old enough to remember and I only started following tennis properly 1995/1996. it's odd how lindsay won a few red clay court tournaments in the early days of her career, many would not have thought it. she beat meredith mcgrath 6/4 4/6 6/1, marianne werdel-witmeyer 6/3 6/0, helena sukova 7/5 6/2, sabine hack 6/2 6/7 6/1 and nicole bradtke 6/1 4/6 6/2

hurricanejeanne
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:50 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship:
Remember when Lindsay played 4 straight three set matches to reach her first quarterfinal at Roland Garros since 1999.
I remember her first match there against Srebotnik(I think I spelled that wrong:p ). I got up at 5 am on a Monday to watch it. All the way through to her unbelievable win against Kim in the round of 16. It was just pure bliss. I still cannot believe she pulled that one off.

Remember when Lindsay won the Olympic Gold medal in 1996 seeded 10th in the draw and beat Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario for the first time in 5 tries. :worship: :worship:

Viva Lindsay!

LindsayRulz
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Remember the net accident during the 99 Wimbledon double final :angel:

Josh.
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:35 AM
this thread is great.. sorry i dont have an memories to add :sad:

RJWCapriati
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Do you remember when Lindsay won 24 consecutive games @ the 2005 Pacific Life open?

hurricanejeanne
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Remember the net accident during the 99 Wimbledon double final :angel:

:haha:
Yes! When she kept hitting the net with her racket and demanded that an official would call let cords.

.Andrew.
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:45 AM
this thread is great.. sorry i dont have an memories to add :sad:

Yes, great thread. I can't think of any ones to add either but I do like Lindsay alot! :worship:

xr6turbo
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Do you remember when Lindsay was serving in a match, not sure when it was, but she served a ball into the net only about half way up so it wasn't even close, and she turned around and said something like "Oh that was great, perhaps next time you can even hit the court first!" :lol:

LindsayRulz
Dec 20th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Do you remember when Lindsay was serving in a match, not sure when it was, but she served a ball into the net only about half way up so it wasn't even close, and she turned around and said something like "Oh that was great, perhaps next time you can even hit the court first!" :lol:

:haha:

Josh.
Dec 20th, 2006, 02:04 AM

LMAO!! gonna miss her

tennisfan2480
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Yeah, Indian Wells 05, 24 consecutive games in a row!!! 8 with Dechy. 12 with Sharapova. 4 with Clijsters = 24. Has anyone ever done that before to top tier competitors such as they?

tennnisfannn
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Remember when the umpire robbed lindsay of matchpoint against kim at the YEC 2001. she then went on to win the match in the tie break and was so mad she hit the umpire's chair with her racket and wouldn't even shake hands at the end of the match, my she is fiesty.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Remember when the umpire robbed lindsay of matchpoint against kim at the YEC 2001. she then went on to win the match in the tie break and was so mad she hit the umpire's chair with her racket and wouldn't even shake hands at the end of the match, my she is fiesty.

Yes, because that is the match Lindsay totally screwed up her knee in too. I remember reading about this match and someone said on one of the telecasts they showed a slow motion replay of her hitting the chair umprie's chair. :lol:

Aww, that's my girl. :hearts: :worship:

goldenboi356
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:04 AM

EVERYONE will remember this for eternity whether they seen it or heard it :bounce: :bounce:

serenafann
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:05 AM
I remember when Lindsay beat Martina Hingis in that U.S. Open Final for her first Grand Slam victory[On Her Mothers birthday]hittiing a winner off of a dropshot on matchpoint.I can still see Lindsay smiling with happiness after her victory,it was a nice moment.

LudwigDvorak
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:10 AM
I remember when I first got into tennis at the US Open of '04, I heard the commentors talk about Lindsay soooooo much because she was #1 in the world I think, and of course American. And while I didn't really know or care much about her, I was rooting for her against this ugly Russian chick in the semifinal, and she lost after a big lead, so I basically condemned that braced-teethed bitch forever cuz I liked Davenport from what I saw. My first memories of her. And then of course I remember that stretch in the summer of '05, finally losing to Dementieva in the quarters of the US Open. That was a great match--my two favorite players against each other. I remember when she just started yelling some profanities early on in that match, and she wasn't even warned. It's amazing what Lindsay could get away with.

Then I remember her run to the Wimbledon final (frankly, I don't care much about the Australian, I didn't even know that final existed until Wimbledon), and the prospect of a Venus/Lindsay matchup...it was perfect. I did not care one inkling for who would win. Well, until the match started. I was rooting for Lindsay basically the entire match, but I was still happy for Venus. I still think it's the greatest match I've ever seen.

2005 was just one big Lindsay fest for me, and I'm glad I managed to witness her (more or less) final year on tour in completion. I got kinda teary-eyed for a few minutes after looking through this tread and seeing some of her match stats and some pictures of her. I'm really going to miss her.

kosmikgroove
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Remember when Lindsay crushed Sharapova 6-0 6-0

up!
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Remember the crazy match against Jelena Jankovic in 2005 Dubai final.

Lindsayfan32
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I can't think of anyone Lindsay memories to add myself but a great thread just the same. come think of it I can the 99 Wimbledon final against Steffi no one gave her a chance of beating Steffi and she did. Never looked like losing.

Also the OZ open final 2000 I had to watch the match in our local pub as we lived in the middle of nowhere and the tv reception was shot. It looked like it was going to all over in under an hour and then Martina mounted a comeback of sorts. Luckly for me i was the only one in the pub me and the person who owned the pub when got close he must have thought I had gone mad.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I remember when I first got into tennis at the US Open of '04, I heard the commentors talk about Lindsay soooooo much because she was #1 in the world I think, and of course American. And while I didn't really know or care much about her, I was rooting for her against this ugly Russian chick in the semifinal, and she lost after a big lead, so I basically condemned that braced-teethed bitch forever cuz I liked Davenport from what I saw. My first memories of her. And then of course I remember that stretch in the summer of '05, finally losing to Dementieva in the quarters of the US Open. That was a great match--my two favorite players against each other. I remember when she just started yelling some profanities early on in that match, and she wasn't even warned. It's amazing what Lindsay could get away with.

Then I remember her run to the Wimbledon final (frankly, I don't care much about the Australian, I didn't even know that final existed until Wimbledon), and the prospect of a Venus/Lindsay matchup...it was perfect. I did not care one inkling for who would win. Well, until the match started. I was rooting for Lindsay basically the entire match, but I was still happy for Venus. I still think it's the greatest match I've ever seen.

2005 was just one big Lindsay fest for me, and I'm glad I managed to witness her (more or less) final year on tour in completion. I got kinda teary-eyed for a few minutes after looking through this tread and seeing some of her match stats and some pictures of her. I'm really going to miss her.

:lol: Yup, that's her alright.
I was so nervous for this match up, mainly because I know how much trouble Dementieva can be if she's somewhere near her groove. The quality of the match sucked, particularly on Lindsay's end.
I believe middle of the first set was when she took a tennis ball, wacked it seemingly as hard as she could into the back board and screamed "I don't need this fucking shit tonight." The mircrophones that are by the linesmen picked it up and remember Tracy Austin and Ted Robinson saying to the audience that they were sorry that that was picked up or something.
She was super pissed that night.

Whenever Lindsay got pissed and started cussing herself or the umpire out always made me laugh. That's one of MANY things I'm going to miss about her.

Leo_DFP
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:26 PM
:lol: I forgot about her cursing audibly during the Dementieva QF but I think I blocked most of that awful match out of my head.

And the 24 straight games at Indian Wells 2005. :worship: She had points for 5-0, maybe it could have even gone on longer! But Kim was awesome that day after the great Lindsay start.

I was just about to mention the YEC 2001 SF against Clijsters because I re-watched it last night. I love that moment when Lindsay smacks the chair at 5-6 after the shitty call. Who knows, if Lindsay did get that call to break for 5-4, she wouldn't have had to chase down that drop shot and she might have avoided the knee injury at that time. It probably would have crept up later in her career again until she got the surgery, but mabe it could have held off until after she won the Australian Open 2002? :p Because that was probably one of the worst and most open Slams that Lindsay had to miss.

But I do love that match against Clijsters because it was so nutty and there was so much drama and emotion... and unbelievably, it clinched year-end #1 for Davenport over Capriati! Capriati could have clinched it the day before but lost in 3 sets against Sandrine Testud for the second time that fall season.

The Daviator
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:40 PM
So many great memories :hearts:

The double bagel seems to be a favourite :devil: 24 games in a row at IW was incredible, I was really pissed that she didn't get the title though :( But Kim in-form on hardcourts is too strong...

Less so on the other surfaces :angel:

Leo_DFP
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Does anyone have Davenport vs. Mauresmo Wimbledon '05 on tape and would like to trade?

The Daviator
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Does anyone have Davenport vs. Mauresmo Wimbledon '05 on tape and would like to trade?

It's all on YouTube :wavey:

jas_aussie
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:51 PM
remember when sam beat her 6-7 6-4 6-3 this year and then she beat sam in one of the best matches of the year 7-6 7-6

The Daviator
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:02 PM
remember when sam beat her 6-7 6-4 6-3 this year and then she beat sam in one of the best matches of the year 7-6 7-6

I remember Sam :fiery: :lol: One of the few players who really knew how to push Linds :)

Leo_DFP
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM
It's all on YouTube :wavey:

Thanks!

And yeah, I remember Sam even gave Lindsay a tough match in the 1st round of Wimbledon '03 when Davenport had her foot issues.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:04 AM

Good match.
Minus the part where Lindsay slipped, fell down, and in my opinion, is what set in motion the whole back problem she suffered that summer and on through this year. :sad:

But happy memories!
Remember when Lindsay won Amelia Island in 2004. It was her first clay court title of any kind since Madrid 1999.
And easily one of my favorite moments. Great match between her and Mauresmo on Easter Sunday (I gave up dinner that day to watch the match:p ) and Lindsay got up double breaks in both sets only for Amelie to come back but Lindsay kept her cool and won 6-4, 6-4!

Leo_DFP
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:36 AM
Good match.
Minus the part where Lindsay slipped, fell down, and in my opinion, is what set in motion the whole back problem she suffered that summer and on through this year. :sad:

But happy memories!
Remember when Lindsay won Amelia Island in 2004. It was her first clay court title of any kind since Madrid 1999.
And easily one of my favorite moments. Great match between her and Mauresmo on Easter Sunday (I gave up dinner that day to watch the match:p ) and Lindsay got up double breaks in both sets only for Amelie to come back but Lindsay kept her cool and won 6-4, 6-4!

I remember her AI finals in 2003 and 2004 were both on Eastern Sunday and I had to anxiously break from the family dinner table every now and then to check the score. I was SO bummed when she lost from ahead against Dementieva in '03 because I still hadn't seen her actually win a tournament on TV since 2001. And she really tanked the last two games with some awful shots. I think she just wanted to get off the court and think about her wedding to come. And then I was SO ecstatic in '04 when she beat such a great clay court player in Amelie. The 2005 AI final must not have been Easter because I watched the whole thing live, and was on the edge of my seat with nerves. What a thriller! SVE put up an incredible fight.

And remember the half-surprised look on Lindsay's face when she broke Graf for 6-5 in the Wimbledon '99 final, like "wow, hang on, I'm about to serve for a Wimbledon championship"? And I'll never forget Chris Evert's disbelief during the entire match in the commentary box. She was so sure Graf would breeze through and couldn't stop talking about Steffi's Venus Williams QF win as the final of the tournament. :lol:

Also, all of Lindsay's Slams, as well as the Olympics she won, were in straight sets all the way through. Dominant from first round to last. At Wimbledon '99, she only lost serve 7 times total.

cs0803
Dec 21st, 2006, 09:30 AM
One of my favourite Lindsay memories was her reaction to beating Venus at the US open in 2004. It was a tight match and Lindsay was so happy when she won.
Also when she beat Srebotnik at the US this year as well.
I love seeing her smile on the court!

hingis-seles
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:10 AM
Remember when Lindsay beat Anna Kournikova in Amelia Island, and when asked about Anna's comments (who basically said that Lindsay wasn't such a great player), she said, "She can say whatever she wants to say because I'm in the semifinals while she's in her hotel room packing her bags." :haha:

hingis-seles
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:11 AM
Remember when Lindsay referred to Anna as "Circus freak".

Remember when Lindsay and Martina Hingis made a pact to prevent an all-Williams final from occuring at a number of tournaments. :devil:

jenny161185
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:04 PM
(okay not 100% sure on this) but remember when Lindsay beat Dokic in the finals of 3 straight tournaments at the end of 2001 ;)

Kart
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:44 PM

With comments like that, your custom title is less surprising.

I remember when Lindsay Davenport turned up at Wimbledon 1994 with a pretty high seeding. I'd never heard of her and hoped to watch her go down to a relatively in form Gabriela Sabatini.

Davenport dismissed Sabatini fairly easily :mad: and then went on to the QF where she lost a very close match to Conchita Martinez. With Graf and ASV out the title was there to be claimed by the best of the rest and I reckon that if Lindsay had won her QF, the way she was playing uncomplicated consistent tennis, she could well have been a Wimbledon champion five years early.

Lindsay :worship:.

barmaid
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:47 PM
In saying good-bye to Lindsay I must say how much I was rooting for her at Wimbledon 2005 during that epic match against Venus....it see-sawed back and forth..Lindsay did have the winning shot on her racquet a couple of times only to lose the point to Venus who fought hard for the victory....it would have been a wonderful climax if Lindsay had of pulled through but she certainly had her chances!:worship:

Another story about Lindsay that I like was around 1998 or so when she was boarding a plane in Germany say and she was stopped by customs who told her she couldn't take her racquet bags on board...."Geeze", said Linds..."I just saw Martina Hingis ahead of me take her bags on board"....."Oh!, they replied but that was "Martina Hingis" :hearts: :kiss: Maybe thats why Lindsay still holds a 14-11 h to h over Martina!!:devil: :lol:

barmaid:wavey: (waving Good-Bye to Lindsay, thanks for the memories):worship:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM

I remember when Lindsay Davenport turned up at Wimbledon 1994 with a pretty high seeding. I'd never heard of her and hoped to watch her go down to a relatively in form Gabriela Sabatini.

Davenport dismissed Sabatini fairly easily :mad: and then went on to the QF where she lost a very close match to Conchita Martinez. With Graf and ASV out the title was there to be claimed by the best of the rest and I reckon that if Lindsay had won her QF, the way she was playing uncomplicated consistent tennis, she could well have been a Wimbledon champion five years early.

She made the QF's in 1994? :speakles: Wow. I never knew that. ;)

Mina Vagante
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM
remember when davenport completely fell apart agaisnt serena in the 2nd set AO 05

Piotr'ek
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM
Remeber when Lindsay lost to Dementieva at RG ending the match with less number of aces than Lena :D

*JR*
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:09 PM

Le Placid Parisian couldn't beat even a subpar Linzi. (Remember the '05 Oz SF). In fact "that other PP" only did in one meaningful encounter, but that was for the '02 Zurich title.

The Daviator
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM
remember when davenport completely fell apart agaisnt serena in the 2nd set AO 05

:rolleyes:

The Daviator
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM
Remeber when Lindsay lost to Dementieva at RG ending the match with less number of aces than Lena :D

Remember when Lena aced her on mp :o

Piotr'ek
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:16 PM
actually not :p

hingis-seles
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM
Remember when Martina Hingis fetched Lindsay Davenport a bottle of Evian, following Lindsay's SF win over Jennifer Capriati at the 2000 Australian Open. This was such a different reaction to the 1999 US Open, where after Lindsay lost the SF to Serena Williams, Hingis was standing with her hands on her hips and clucking in disapproval.

Remember when Lindsay was playing with her niece in the player's lounge at the 2000 US Open, and Martina approached her and told her that she had to finally beat a Williams sister because she never did it, and always left it up to Martina and Lindsay said she expected Martina to take out Venus in return. :haha:

I loved Martina's relationship with Lindsay. :hearts: :worship:

Leo_DFP
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:04 PM

Although Martina Navratilova was still in the tournament and Lindsay was not that confident yet, so I don't know if she could have won. Plus, Conchita and ASV really owned Davenport for years. It's interesting to think what would have become of Lindsay's career if she had become a GS champ in 1994!

Leo_DFP
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM

I remember thinking after that match, during which Lindsay was in some pain I believe, that she would probably retire soon and I was so sad. And then she turned everything around with her very next tournament.

Everyone talks about her great wins over the Williams sisters in the summer of '04, of course, but I think my two favorite wins were Karolina Sprem at Wimbledon and Anastasia Myskina at San Diego - absolute clobberings and just great, pure hitting from first point to last.

Does anyone remember Lindsay missing the bulk of 2006 and coming back to dominate the world #1 and double GS winner in New Haven? :D

!<blocparty>!
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:25 PM
I remember thinking after that match, during which Lindsay was in some pain I believe, that she would probably retire soon and I was so sad. And then she turned everything around with her very next tournament.

Everyone talks about her great wins over the Williams sisters in the summer of '04, of course, but I think my two favorite wins were Karolina Sprem at Wimbledon and Anastasia Myskina at San Diego - absolute clobberings and just great, pure hitting from first point to last.

Does anyone remember Lindsay missing the bulk of 2006 and coming back to dominate the world #1 and double GS winner in New Haven? :D

Kinda. ;) Lindsay played some classy tennis that day after only a couple of weeks proper training. She had that much talent.

Sigh @ the 2004 comment. Lindsay should have won Wimbledon that year. She was by far and away the hottest player going into the semi's and for a set and a bit looked like she was going to take the title with play like that - it was :speakles::speakles::speakles:. I'm not saying she'd have played that way in the final against Serena, though. Her mentality stopped her winning like 8 slams after her surgery.

IceHock
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:30 PM
Remember when Lindsay called out Larry Scott this year and totally told him off.

The Daviator
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:35 PM

That was the only memorable moment of '06 :tape:

Lindsay really deserved at least one of the following, arguably all of them - Wimbledon '04, USO '04, AO '05, Wimbledon '05 :( She won none, gutting :sad:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:38 PM
That was the only memorable moment of '06 :tape:

Lindsay really deserved at least one of the following, arguably all of them - Wimbledon '04, USO '04, AO '05, Wimbledon '05 :( She won none, gutting :sad:

USO 05 too.

She should have made all 5 slam finals in 05, actually.

The Daviator
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:42 PM
USO 05 too.

She should have made all 5 slam finals in 05, actually.

Hmm, I think Clijsters would have beaten her at the '05 Open, as for RG, that 1/4 with Pierce was really the match that was going to decide the other finalist, shame she sucked so bad, one of her worst ever matches, even by her low standards on clay :tape: :lol:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:44 PM
Hmm, I think Clijsters would have beaten her at the '05 Open, as for RG, that 1/4 with Pierce was really the match that was going to decide the other finalist, shame she sucked so bad, one of her worst ever matches, even by her low standards on clay :tape: :lol:

Clijsters would have met her in the final. Lindsay would have slaughtered her had she won Wimbledon.

Again, sucks.

Stupid Demented.
And Pierce.
And Penis.

The Daviator
Dec 21st, 2006, 11:53 PM
Clijsters would have met her in the final. Lindsay would have slaughtered her had she won Wimbledon.

Again, sucks.

Stupid Demented.
And Pierce.
And Penis.

But even if she had won Wimbledon, she still would have suffered that back injury which ruined the rest of her career, unless of course she won it when she served for it at 6-5 in the second and not if she had taken the mp in 3rd, which of course came before the back injury :p

I still think that the USO that year was Kim's Slam, she was in amazing form, and she owned Lindsay on hard courts...

A 'Sloth Slam' in 2005 :hearts: What could have been :(

!<blocparty>!
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:00 AM
Yes, but who was the last person KIM lost to after she won the USO. (cept that Chinese scrub :o:p)

Lindsay Davenport def. Serena Williams 6-2 6-4.
Lindsay Davenport def. Justine Henin-Hardenne 6-1 6-1.
Lindsay Davenport def. Venus Williams 6-4 7-5.
Lindsay Davenport def. Kim Clijsters 7-5 6-4.

SLOTH SLAM!

new-york
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:26 AM
Lindsay Davenport def. Venus Williams 6-4 7-5.

i loved that match.:hearts:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:28 AM
i loved that match.:hearts:

Stop stalking me.

Out. :ras:

Andrew..
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:34 AM
I was actually there for that match, and I remember thinking that it might be the last time I see her play like that. Sigh, how right I was.

go hingis
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:39 AM
Remember When you where sitting at home and started watching Lindsay vs Martina play the AO Final, I was rooting for Lindsay but by the end of the match became a huge Martina and Women's tennis Fan and have always enjoyed Lindsay and her game. (My personal remember when)

hurricanejeanne
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:09 AM

I remember reading in her profile that she made the quarters that year. Which always amazed me.
I mean, she was in the heart of her chubby stage, had just graduated high school and then makes the quarters of Wimbledon. And I remember reading her talk about Wimbledon a few years ago that she never thought she'd do well there, she had trouble with the low bounces and stuff. Go figure, she ends up playing some of her best tennis ever on the grass.

She played so well at Wimbledon in 2004, which suprised me in retrospect because she had tweeked her knee at Roland Garros a couple of weeks before. That semifinal, up until the now infamous rain delay was just amazing! I remember watching her serve like god. She had such an insanely high percentage of serves, it blew my mind. That loss still pissed me off like no other.

And :spit: at "Sloth Slam".

Kart
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Although Martina Navratilova was still in the tournament and Lindsay was not that confident yet, so I don't know if she could have won. Plus, Conchita and ASV really owned Davenport for years. It's interesting to think what would have become of Lindsay's career if she had become a GS champ in 1994!

Of course it was not given as Lori McNeil also was also playing amazing tennis.

That said, Conchita scraped past Lindsay so I still reckon her chances would have been better than a lot of people at the time would have suspected.

Kart
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
I remember reading in her profile that she made the quarters that year. Which always amazed me.
I mean, she was in the heart of her chubby stage, had just graduated high school and then makes the quarters of Wimbledon. And I remember reading her talk about Wimbledon a few years ago that she never thought she'd do well there, she had trouble with the low bounces and stuff. Go figure, she ends up playing some of her best tennis ever on the grass.

She was carrying a bit of excess weight but I think her success at the time was due to the fact that she was a relatively unknown newcomer not dealing with the pressure.

After all, it wasn't long after that her game slumped for ages until she came back majorly to push the likes of Graf and Seles to the limit in 1996.

By then she was practically a new player :worship:.

When I read complaints about her commitment and tanking big matches :rolleyes:, I often think people conveniently forget the drive she made early in her career in those years to become the amazing player she is.

She could so easily have disappeared into mediocrity if she chose to after 1995.

Kart
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
BTW reading so many Lindsay fans not remembering 1994 makes me feel old :mad:.

azmad_88
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Remember when Lindsay beat Amelie 3 so many times in a row in her career and amelie is the last person lindsay played before losing and retired

RayRob
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:20 AM
Remember when Davenport:

Won red clay tournaments
Won RG doubles title w/ Mary Joe
Was going to quit in '95 until Mary Joe convinced her not to
Won Olympic Gold '96 on home turf
Won USO '98
Beat Navotna and Graf en route to winning Wimbledon '99
Got angry with the umpire and demanded a let cord judge in the doubles final of Wimbledon '99 - don't mess with the champion!
Beat Pierce in the USO QF '99 saving match points in the epic battle
Beat Hingis in Philly and YEC '99
When Lindsay and Hingis almost always played each other in the finals every week in 98/99/some of 2000
Beat Hingis to win Grand Slam #3 @ Aus Open 2000
Nearly lost to Likhovtseva in the first round of Wimbledon 2000; she was down 3-6, 0-3 before she woke up and won 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
Ended Venus Williams 30-something match winning streak in 2000 (I think)...won the match in 3 sets at Filderstadt! Also it was the first match Lindsay beat Venus in a while.
Lindsay played and beat Dokic in the finals of three European events...one week Lindsay even took the opportunity to say in her winners speech, "last week I was so rude not to thank or acknowledge Jelena after our match...." so she continued to say some nice things to make up for it!
Got angry at the umpire at the end of a match vs Clijsters in YEC semi. Umpire wrongly called in favour of Kim, Lindsay won the next point and said to the umpire, "This should be my match now"...shortly after, Lindsay cacked her knee up and scraped through the match...whacking the umpires chair with her racket!
Claimed that she would retire at the end of '03
Claimed that she would retire at the end of '04
Made that very emotional speech after the Aus Open doubles final, having become runner-up with Corina Morariu...I can not watch it myself without becoming a little emotional.
gave up claiming she would retire
Beat Sharapova love & love
Beat Kim Clijsters on red clay at RG 05 & again at Wimbledon 05
Held match point in the Wimbledon final 2005, in the end losing graciously to a well deserved Venus.There are so many more, but I've already repeated some that others have already said. I tried to put the ones I have in some sort of date order...but I was probably not sucessful!

-Rache :)

hurricanejeanne
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:30 AM
She was carrying a bit of excess weight but I think her success at the time was due to the fact that she was a relatively unknown newcomer not dealing with the pressure.

After all, it wasn't long after that her game slumped for ages until she came back majorly to push the likes of Graf and Seles to the limit in 1996.

By then she was practically a new player :worship:.

When I read complaints about her commitment and tanking big matches :rolleyes:, I often think people conveniently forget the drive she made early in her career in those years to become the amazing player she is.

She could so easily have disappeared into mediocrity if she chose to after 1995.

That's part of her story that I love. She always had the potential but people never seem to give her credit. She could have quit then and went to college or something, but she wanted more.
I will always be proud of her career. No matter how you slice or dice it. Lindsay is always going to be an amazing player in my eyes. :worship:

And Rache great post, since I cannot good rep you right now!:D

RayRob
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:47 AM
And Rache great post, since I cannot good rep you right now!:D

Thanks again Jeanne...maybe you can't rep me again because you were the last person to do so from another thread. I really appreciate your comments.

Rache

hurricanejeanne
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:05 AM
Thanks again Jeanne...maybe you can't rep me again because you were the last person to do so from another thread. I really appreciate your comments.

Rache

Yeah, I have to spread some reputation around still. ;)

I am really loving all of these Lindsay memories. She certainly gave us lots to talk about.:)

Leo_DFP
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:14 AM
Remember that Jie Zheng will be Lindsay Davenport's final win on tour, 6-2, 7-6, before losing in straights to Amelie.

Great post, Rachel, although Lindsay's 3-set win over Venus in 2000 came at the Linz final and it ended up being her last win over Venus until 2004 Stanford. I believe the win-streak was up to 32 for Venus at that point. It must have been a huge relief for Lindsay, but also bitter sweet after Wimbledon and US Open.

One of my biggest regrets for Lindsay's career is her decision not to play the Olympics in 2004. :shrug:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:37 AM
Remember that Jie Zheng will be Lindsay Davenport's final win on tour, 6-2, 7-6, before losing in straights to Amelie.

Great post, Rachel, although Lindsay's 3-set win over Venus in 2000 came at the Linz final and it ended up being her last win over Venus until 2004 Stanford. I believe the win-streak was up to 32 for Venus at that point. It must have been a huge relief for Lindsay, but also bitter sweet after Wimbledon and US Open.

One of my biggest regrets for Lindsay's career is her decision not to play the Olympics in 2004. :shrug:

I think she decided not to go because she was concerned about security issues. I'm not sure though.
But considering she was playing so amazingly that summer she probably would have cleaned house in Athens.

My only regret is not getting into this sport earlier. I wish I could have watched Lindsay in her prime, when she was winning slams and stuff.

Maajken
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Remember when Lindsay beat Henin in Zurich 2002 on one foot and how Henin after the match bitched about how distracted she was by a limping Lindsay? :D

RayRob
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the correction Leo. :yeah: Linz was my first thought (I think I posted it as Linz in the TOP forum) but I had a niggling feeling that it was Fildrestadt...but it's definately Linz. Lindsay won Filderstadt in 2001, but I think she beat JHH in the final. Not too sure.

mike/topgun
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:04 PM
Remember when Lindsay beat Henin in Zurich 2002 on one foot and how Henin after the match bitched about how distracted she was by a limping Lindsay? :D
Yeah...and then the 2003 AO thriller where JHH cramped.:tape:
Too many memories that I don't know where to start...:lol:
I'll never forget how Lindsay polished Martina in Aus 2000:bounce:

SAEKeithSerena
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:36 PM

that was probably the moment in her career where she wanted to jump off a bridge. that was so painful to see:rolleyes: