PDA

View Full Version : Tempers flare at Williams's trial...........

plantman
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Attorneys in Williams trial debate evidence
By Jane Musgrave

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

WEST PALM BEACH — Rancor that has punctuated much of a nearly five-week trial involving the famous Williams family bubbled up again Monday as those involved fought over what evidence could be presented to the jury.

At one point, an angry Palm Beach County Circuit Judge Jeffrey Winikoff harshly silenced an attorney representing Venus and Serena Williams. "I understand you think I'm favoring them," he told attorney F. Malcolm Cunningham Jr. "That's nonsense. I don't care who wins."

Cunningham was trying to stop Winikoff from restricting what questions could be asked of Boca Raton accountant Andrew Kramer, who was hired by attorneys representing the tennis stars' father, Richard Williams.

Kramer disputed an analysis done by another Boca Raton accountant that the doomed battle-of-the-sexes match could have netted as much as $38.7 million. The match, between Venus and Serena Williams and unnamed male tennis greats, is at the root of the breach of contract lawsuit would-be promoters Carol Clarke and Keith Rhodes filed against the Williamses.

Winikoff ruled Kramer could only say that accountant Robert Zucker failed to follow accounting principles. Kramer was not allowed to detail how he felt Zucker overestimated the amount of money the 2001 match would have generated.

Winikoff also said he didn't understand what possible use could be made of a document that involves a charity tennis match Venus and Serena Williams played in late November. Attorney John Romano, who represents Clarke and Rhodes, on Friday persuaded Winikoff to sign a court order to release the document.

Romano claimed it would help dispute repeated claims by Venus and Serena Williams that they always sign their own contracts. The basis of the family's defense is that the contract Richard Williams signed to have his daughters participate in the match was meaningless because he had no authority to commit them to do anything.

Winikoff said the document appeared to be a simple rental agreement to use an arena in the Denver area for the event that benefited Ronald McDonald House Charities. It was signed by an agent. He turned it over to Romano but said he couldn't imagine how it could be relevant.

The trial will conclude today. Closing arguments are scheduled Wednesday.

and the saga continues to become more exciting!

Paneru
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Already posted.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=274389&page=5

FaceyFacem
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:41 PM
i'm very intrigued to see how this plays out, as a person applying to law school now, and somewhat interested in contracts

plantman
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Already posted.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=274389&page=5

Sorry! I overlooked the posting......:)