PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best serve in women's tennis?

Dementieva Serve
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I say Elena Dementieva :lol:

Ok here is my serious order

1) Maria Sharapova
2) Nicole Vaidisova
3) Nadia Petrova

9999) Elena Dementieva

kittyking
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Move Elena down to 10000, im at number 9999 :p

My list;
1) Maria Sharapova
2) Marina Erakovic
3) Nicole Vaidisova
4) Serena Williams
5) Nadia Petrova

So Disrespectful
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:58 AM
1. Alicia Molik
2. Maria Sharapova
3. Samantha Stosur
4. Nadia Petrova

FrenchY52
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:00 AM
1- Venus
2- (Davenport)
3- Serena
4- Petrova
5- Pierce
6- Sharapova
7- Petrova

Becool
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Serena
Alexandra
Iroda
Mary
Venus
Maria Shaparova

Shoulderpova
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Elena's serve :sad: :sobbing:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Serena

tennisbear7
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Why are we still having discussions like these...

Every one knows that Serena is virtually unbeatable if her serve is working.

The rest is after her. Lindsay, Maria, Pierce, Venus, Petrova are not far off Serena, but are on the second tier.

Dementieva Serve
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Venus Williams doesn't have a bad serve either ...

GoClijsters
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I'd say Sharapova cause she can always rely on her service when she needs to. Impossible to break!
After that, Venus?

rocksania
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:34 AM
My mind says it is MARIA SHARAPOVA AND THE WILLIAMS but my HEART says it $ania mirza ..i cant think of others in front of $ania
she does need improvement to challenge the big guns but for that u have to give her more time ...

all the best $ania DARLING

$iddharth Loves $ANIA MIRZA....:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Dementieva Serve
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Krajicek and Stosur also have good serves ...

LDF
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:36 AM
it $ania mirza ..i cant think of others in front of $ania
she does need improvement to challenge the big guns but for that u have to give her more time ...

:spit:

LDF
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Lindsay has the greatest, most consistent service I have ever seen, as well as a beautiful motion.

There isn't a bad thing you can say about this remarkable woman, and I will sorely miss her.

Hi seles, davenport :rolleyes:

MyskinaManiac
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:40 AM
1. Molik
2. Petrova
3. Pierce
4. Stosur
5. Vaidisova
6. Sharapova
7. Clijsters (awesome second serve)

Yarden
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Nicole and Alicia.

Andy.
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Masha is the best and is continuing to improve, she varies the pace and placement and its just an awesome serve. I would put Ana and Nicole up there as well and of course Serena and Alicia when they get back to full flight are pretty much up there with the best servers if not the two best serves in the world.

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:54 AM
My mind says it is MARIA SHARAPOVA AND THE WILLIAMS but my HEART says it $ania mirza ..i cant think of others in front of $ania

:lol: Sania? Or are you just saying that because you are a big fan? ;) She's obviously not the best server in women's tennis for sure.

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Well for best servers, in no particular order:

Serena, Venus, Davenport, Sharapova, Molik (when healthy), Stosur (Love the kick serve)

Ben.
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Alicia has probably one of the best serves in the women's game i must say.
She has the ability to mix it up really well like hitting the big flat serves, the kicking serves & s'times some slice serves. All of these can make the opponent to guess continuously & then it i'll have them thinking bout it when they should be focusing on their own game. To me she is the best out of all of them.

Sharapova has a great serve as well too. she too also has the ability to mix it up with flat serves & slice serves to put the opponent off plus she has a great kick 2nd serve like molik has, which is great to use against players short in height. Stosur's a bit like that as well too.

Williams sisters, not bad either it's just their 2nd serves that r the problem s'times. Lindsay's not bad & has a good heavy 2nd serve & Petrova & Hantuchova have good ones as well too.

MyskinaManiac
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Hantuchova... yes. I forgot about Ivanavic too. But Hantuchova rarely gets aces, it's just her supreme placement.

eck
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Because I'm biased, I'd say Justine. =)
I mean, during her SF match @ Madrid with Sharapova, she tightened the screws when it mattered most.
And at New Haven SF vs Kuznetsova, the commentators said Sveta basically had to guess where the serve was going for most of the times.
Of course, her serve does have the double fault problems, but hey, for a woman of her height, it's a pretty darn good serve. She served the fastest at Madrid from what I recalled.

Ben.
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Hantuchova... yes. I forgot about Ivanavic too. But Hantuchova rarely gets aces, it's just her supreme placement.

true, with dani, her serve is based on placement & spin. she gets a few aces but not as many as a alicia molik or maria sharapova.

yes i also forgot bout ivanovic & vaidisova have good serves as well too. sveta doesn't have a bad one either. i think most of the women on the on the tour these days have a good 1st serve & some have not a bad 2nd serve.

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Because I'm biased, I'd say Justine. =)
I mean, during her SF match @ Madrid with Sharapova, she tightened the screws when it mattered most.
And at New Haven SF vs Kuznetsova, the commentators said Sveta basically had to guess where the serve was going for most of the times.
Of course, her serve does have the double fault problems, but hey, for a woman of her height, it's a pretty darn good serve. She served the fastest at Madrid from what I recalled.

Justine has a great serve no lie about that. :worship: She places her serves really well but also makes a lot of double faults but it's because she goes for her second serves. :worship:

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:36 PM
true, with dani, her serve is based on placement & spin. she gets a few aces but not as many as a alicia molik or maria sharapova.

yes i also forgot bout ivanovic & vaidisova have good serves as well too. sveta doesn't have a bad one either. i think most of the women on the on the tour these days have a good 1st serve & some have not a bad 2nd serve.

Yep, Daniela has a great serve. So as Ivanovic, Sveta, and Nicole but I don't think any are one of the best servers on tour.

lilimi
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM
sharapova's serve is a bit robotic in the move but it's a real lethal weapon. the most efficent. i think the best serve of history of tennis. it would b interesting to see what she could do against a male good server.
then i'd say nadia petrova.
serena
venus has a great serve but she can have problems with it
vaidisova (good effects).

Ben.
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Yep, Daniela has a great serve. So as Ivanovic, Sveta, and Nicole but I don't think any are one of the best servers on tour.

agree, they're not up there like molik, sharapova, davenport & even the williams sisters.

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:46 PM
agree, they're not up there like molik, sharapova, davenport & even the williams sisters.

Yeah, you stated all the best servers... BUT YOU FORGOT STOSUR :p LOVE THE KICK SERVE! :worship:

Ben.
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah, you stated all the best servers... BUT YOU FORGOT STOSUR :p LOVE THE KICK SERVE! :worship:

oh yeah. silly of me :silly:

justine&coria
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Serena is without a doubt the best server ever. She had everything : power, placement, all the possible paces, it's well disguised, and it's beautiful to watch.
I don't like it when a player wins lots of points with his/her serve, but Serena's serve is/was so great !!

Then, but far behind Serena : Sharapova, Venus, Amelie.

And as a fan of Justine, I have to add that Justine probably has the best second serve !! ;)

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Serena is without a doubt the best server ever. She had everything : power, placement, all the possible paces, it's well disguised, and it's beautiful to watch.
I don't like it when a player wins lots of points with his/her serve, but Serena's serve is/was so great !

Then, but far behind Serena : Sharapova, Venus, Amelie.

And as a fan of Justine, I have to add that Justine probably has the best second serve !! ;)

I like Justine's first and second serve alot but she makes alot of double faults so I wouldn't put her there.

Maybe Sharapova, Davenport, Serena, Molik, and Stosur all have great second serves... Venus's second serve needs some work though :p

Carsten
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Molik, Sharapova, Serena...

Venus' serve is way overrated just because she has the world record in speed for women, in fact especially her 2nd serve isn't that good...

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
1. Serena x1000
2. Lindsay
3. venus
4. Sharapova
5. Kuznetsova

Ben.
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Venus' serve is way overrated just because she has the world record in speed for women, in fact especially her 2nd serve isn't that good...

yeah, venus' 2nd serve can go pretty funny s'times.

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Molik, Sharapova, Serena...

I think Brenda Schultz McCarthy has the record now :p

Venus still does have one of the best serves in tennis even if her second serve is lacking...

Ben.
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Venus still does have one of the best serves in tennis even if her second serve is lacking...

yeah, your right bout schultz mc carthy now owning the record.

not really a lot of players in the women's game have a good let alone a great 2nd serve. only one's i can think of that have that a great or good 2nd serve r molik, stosur, sharapova & probably maybe petrova or serena (could be wrong bout nadia & serena there though).

Carsten
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM

yeah ok but doesn't make a big difference now... ;)

Yeah it's definitely good but not one of the very best.. it's hard but there isn't that variety which others have..

ioni
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
maria sharapova
nadia petrova
nicole vaidisova

Sund7101
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM
When Serena is on she has undoubtedly one of the best serves ever.

Maria, Lindsay, and Mary fall after her IMO

Sefo
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Sharapova's triple-ace at the USO says a lot about her serve.

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I actually think venus can rely much more on placement on the serve than she did as a youngster. Even in her peak 2000-01 form, she was still going for the big flat serve down the 'T' all the time. Nowadays she can move the ball around the service box more i feel. Put a bit more slice on it so it moves away from her opponent. Although, when she's in the mood, she'll throw in those blistering 120mph serves, that you just cant get back with any sort of intent, its self-defence basically:lol:

Also i feel Venus's second serve isnt as vulnerable anymore. More often she's hitting 88-90mph second serves and with a bit more depth, so its not getting bashed away as regulary or breaking down as much. Still it can get a little:eek: at times :haha:

Slampova
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:27 PM
sharapova's serve is a bit robotic in the move but it's a real lethal weapon. the most efficent. i think the best serve of history of tennis. it would b interesting to see what she could do against a male good server.

:worship:

I agree :cool:

Lunaris
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Why are we still having discussions like these...

Every one knows that Serena is virtually unbeatable if her serve is working.

The rest is after her. Lindsay, Maria, Pierce, Venus, Petrova are not far off Serena, but are on the second tier.
The poster of this thread is a newbie, so try to be more tolerant. :)
But you are right of course.

Fire_Fox
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM
1)Schulz-MacCartey (record)
2)Petrova
3)S Williams
4)M Sharapova
5)V Williams
6)Stevenson
7)Davenport
8)Pierce
9)Mauresmo
10)Hantuchova

Craigy
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Yeah because your heart is the answer to everything :weirdo:

Craigy
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:59 PM
But anyway my answer is Serena.
5ft10 = 127 mph :D
When she's on she cannot lose serve, its scary....

Mina Vagante
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:04 PM
i's say (in order)

1. Serena (love the action)
2. Venus
3. sharapova
4. justine (not very powerful but well placed)

Mightymirza

Well how bout 5ft6=120 mph??Its pretty awesome aint it??:lol: but I dont think juju has got the best serve in the game..Her 1st serve % hardly crosses 55% mark but its a beauty to watch!!! :eek: how much she can do with her small body frame...:worship:

Mina Vagante

:worship: very true:worship:

Mina Vagante
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:05 PM
oh yeh i lvoe myskina's serve. the action is soo fluid

Craigy
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Well how bout 5ft6=120 mph??Its pretty awesome aint it??:lol: but I dont think juju has got the best serve in the game..Her 1st serve % hardly crosses 55% mark but its a beauty to watch!!! :eek: how much she can do with her small body frame...:worship:

Yes I agree it is good :p But her serve can break down. 90% of the time Serena's serve is great. But when its bad :unsure:

dybbuk
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I would say Davenport but....:(

1) Serena - when she is one she has by far the best serve
2) Sharapova - she needs to work on placement, but still it is very good
3) Ivanovic- very good
4) Venus- I hate her second serve, but her first serve is very big
5) Henin-Hardenne- her percentages should be a lot higher, but is is amazing watching her serve as big as the likes of Sharapova at her size. she needs to work on her doubles too. she never just has one, when she doubles they come in bunches

!<blocparty>!
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Venus and Serena had two of the best serves in women's tennis. Along with Davenport.

Right now: Maria, Justine, Nicole and Nadia are four of the best servers IMO. Nicole and Maria's serves could still improve a lot, too.

Kipling
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I say Elena Dementieva :lol:

9999) Elena Dementieva

No way is she in the top million...

Il Primo!
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Alicia has probably one of the best serves in the women's game i must say.
She has the ability to mix it up really well like hitting the big flat serves, the kicking serves & s'times some slice serves. All of these can make the opponent to guess continuously & then it i'll have them thinking bout it when they should be focusing on their own game. To me she is the best out of all of them.

Sharapova has a great serve as well too. she too also has the ability to mix it up with flat serves & slice serves to put the opponent off plus she has a great kick 2nd serve like molik has, which is great to use against players short in height. Stosur's a bit like that as well too.

Williams sisters, not bad either it's just their 2nd serves that r the problem s'times. Lindsay's not bad & has a good heavy 2nd serve & Petrova & Hantuchova have good ones as well too.

When Serena is on she has the best 2nd serve in the game...:wavey:

DemWilliamsGulls
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Serena- Her serve is strong and pretty versitile...even her second serve
Venus- When she can get her first serves over, they are just about unreturnable because of the speed.
Davenport-Serve is similar to Serena's sometimes not as strong but very consistent.
Sharapova-Serves very similar to Daventports but not as consistent as Davenports....

HenryMag.
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:16 PM
1. Petrova
2. Sharapova
3. Serena Williams
4. Venus Williams
5. Samantha Stosur

Escape
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:51 PM
1. Alicia Molik
2. Serena Williams
3. Lindsay Davenport
4. Samantha Stosur
5. Nadia Petrova

Neptune
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I think what makes the Nicole vaidisova's serve different is that it can go up very high.She's using an effet that I don't know.

Andrew Laeddis
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Maria Sharapova
Venus/Serena Williams (IMO when at their best their serve is unbeatable except against each other)

sweetpeas
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I will alway"s state,the person who wins slam's,has the best serve!No serve,no slam? Serena venus lindsay maria justine. These are player"s whom won slams.Believe me,their serve"s where smacking!

Kim's_fan_4ever
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Davenport, Sharapova, V.Williams

Nicolás89
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I will alway"s state,the person who wins slam's,has the best serve!No serve,no slam? Serena venus lindsay maria justine. These are player"s whom won slams.Believe me,their serve"s where smacking!

so martinas serve was the best in 97:rolleyes:

sweetpeas
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:52 PM
so martinas serve was the best in 97
The 1999 u.s opening tell"s the begin of the serve in wta.

sweetpeas
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Iam not here to dump on Martinas.But it a new day,when one "talk about the serve?1999 until NOW1

Nicolás89
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:56 PM
graf and navratilova use the serve long before that

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Serena and Lindsay by far. Venus has a better first, but the desparity between her first and second takes off the quality of her serve overall. Of course Martina N. and Steffi have great serves as well.

So Disrespectful
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:35 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't think Serena's serve is better than Alicia's. She hasn't hit many serves over 200 since 2004. Sure Serena may have a huge serve, but it hasn't consistently been up there.

bello
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Williams sisters