PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most gracious player in defeat?

Verdasco
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:07 AM
I thought of making a poll for this but there are too many players to choose from. So in your reply just say who you think is the most gracious player in defeat.

I think Mary Pierce. She smiled and congratulated Na Li after Li beat her 4-6 6-0 6-0 at the US Open 3RD 2006 :)

Who gets your vote?

vejh
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:10 AM
There are so many. The Belgians are very good sports. Linds is a great sport. Seles. (I'm considering also the comments in the press conferences). Mary. Funny I thought there were very many but I can't think of anymore now.lol.

MikeJones
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Mary is very gracious, but Monica was the best ever. Lindsay was also very gracious.

Gooner
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Kim Clijsters is very gracious

LUIS9
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Yup I have got to agree, Monica Seles is at the top of the list when it comes to being gracious after a defeat closely follow by Lindsay Davenport. Two great ambassadors of their sport.

Berlin_Calling
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Jennifer Capriati...:haha:

LoveFifteen
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Let's be honest, the most interesting players are the ones that aren't gracious in defeat! :devil:

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Mary Pierce.

cartmancop
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Monica Seles of course, even more amazing considering her success and trials... some players who have that much success put themselves on a pedestal and refuse to give credit to an opponent who was the better player of the day

Also Mary is very good natured towards opponents...

cartmancop
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Let's be honest, the most interesting players are the ones that aren't gracious in defeat! :devil:

I agree :lol: It's much more fun to read what Martina or Serena or JHH had to say about their opponent if it's juicy :devil:

Andy.
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Mary Pierce and Venus Williams is always very gracious in defeat at the net anyway, she is always very polite and smiles at the net even after a loss.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Mary Pierce and Venus Williams is always very gracious in defeat at the net anyway, she is always very polite and smiles at the net even after a loss.

Yes, I forgot about Venus Williams. She's always very gracious after a loss, even a disappointing loss.

-sugi-
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Ai Sugiyama :)

Stamp Paid
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Venus, Pierce, Davenport.

DavyJone96431
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:02 AM
James Blake

NyCPsU
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:02 AM
mary and kim imo :)

Ben.
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Kim for sure! :aparty: :yeah: :clap2:

Ben.
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:16 AM
also Lindsay, Mary & Venus r on my list :)

hingisGOAT
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:42 AM
hingis, recently

hingis-seles
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Monica Seles and Mary Pierce.

So Disrespectful
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Pierce, she always has time to congratulate her opponent, no matter the outcome of the match.

frenchie
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Yes, I forgot about Venus Williams. She's always very gracious after a loss, even a disappointing loss.

errrr...she was not very gracious when she lost to Myskina at RG in 2004
In press conference she basically said she doesn't usually lose to this kind of player who can't hurt her and that she beat herself:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hingis-seles
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:34 AM
errrr...she was not very gracious when she lost to Myskina at RG in 2004
In press conference she basically said she doesn't usually lose to this kind of player who can't hurt her and that she beat herself:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The way everyone pissed and moaned after RG 2004 made Nastya, making her last three opponents look like chumps, even funnier. ;)

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Agreed. :D

Mauresmo Fan
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:31 PM
mary pierce

Viktymise
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Venus always jogs to the net and gives a worm smile and congradulatory word when she loses, doesnt really matter whether its been close or not either, it thinks its Vee

Tenis Srbija
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I don't like her, but it's stupid not to admitt that Amelie Mauresmo is one of the biggest sportsman's in tennis. I've heard from some Serbian players that she is very nice, and not up in sky, like big part of top 10...

Answer: Amelie no doubt!

goldenlox
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I don't think any of the high ranked Russians would be on this list.

AlonsoFx
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Mary Pierce, Lindsay, Kim :)

Marcus Jordan
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:38 PM
martina hingis! shes so gracefully even in matches she loses she moves like a ballerina! really light on her feet :P

ioni
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Kim Clijsters ;)

Mina Vagante
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:12 PM
serena (always gives a smile) and venus, kimmie is gracious in defeat so is myskina (she always kisses on both cheeks after a defeat) and occasional sharapova oh yeh and maru is nice too. i dont like the way amelie reacts when she loses

!<blocparty>!
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Davenport. Pierce.

:haha: @ the person who said Capriati. :p

dybbuk
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Clijsters. Mauresmo is good too.

CooCooCachoo
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Mary.

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Davenport, not enough superlatives to describe her graciousness in defeat:)

Venus has her moments(:lol:), but is generally quite gracious when shaking hands with her opponents. Acknowledges when someone has played well to beat her.

Momo is quite gracious as well, never see her look really negative or unwelcoming in defeat. Understands the logic of winning and losing and treating both the same:)

Vamos.
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I would have to say Amelie and Pierce, even though politeness and humility is not something I would associate with the French! Mauresmo is widely recognised as one of the most popular players on tour along with Kuzy and both of them are extremely gracious win or lose. Amelie is just absolutely incredible; a true sportswomen on and off the court, a great ambassador for our sport. Lindsay also deserves a mention I don't think I have ever seen her criticise an opponent.

thenj
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Monica and Mary

Mina Vagante
Davenport, not enough superlatives to describe her graciousness in defeat:)

Venus has her moments(:lol:), but is generally quite gracious when shaking hands with her opponents. Acknowledges when someone has played well to beat her.

Momo is quite gracious as well, never see her look really negative or unwelcoming in defeat. Understands the logic of winning and losing and treating both the same:)

lol look at serena's face when she beat momo at the YEC 04,

serenafan08
Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Mary, Kim - they're usually pretty polite when they lose.

Paneru
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Yes, even the bitter one's.

Venus wasn't pleased at Wimbledon with Jankovic
rushing the serve before Venus was set, yet at the end
Venus had a smile on her face and congratulated her nicely.

As well as that Rome SF against Hingis when it looked
like she would cruise into the finals. Really tough one,
but she smiled and shook Martina's hand.

tennisboi
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Lindsay is amazing in defeat after she lost both GS finals in 05 she hugged her opponents even though she was visibly upset at losing & Mary Pierce is also very repectful.Lindsay is gone & Mary is nearing the end of her days so gracious players are a dying breed

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:32 PM

I said 'quite' gracious :haha:

Paneru
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:39 PM

That reaction of Serena's
was hilarious and still gets me! :tape:

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM

I just watched it then :haha:

Serena was like 'bitch, you shake my hand properly' :lol:

Paneru
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I just watched it then :haha:

Serena was like 'bitch, you shake my hand properly' :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mina Vagante
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:44 PM
lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: haha its soo funny serena's reaction but apart from that all the rest of momos defeats she has been quite graceful. although i didnt like her reaction at the SF against serena at wimbledon. serena was like asking her if her back was ok and momo didnt seem to care. but when serena lost to momo at the us open 06, serena was VERY graceful in defeat

hablo
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Pierce and Clijsters.

shirley
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Lindsay Davenport

miffedmax
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I don't think any of the high ranked Russians would be on this list.

Probably not, much as I love my two faves.

But in their defence, I'll say I've never seen anyone more gracious in victory than Nasty was after pummelling poor Lena D. at RG '04 (with the exception of Momo in Australia this year, but the situation was somewhat different).

And Lena's post USO speech in '04 was one of the most gracious, moving moments the sport has seen in years.

But the expression on Lena's face when she loses to Masha is priceless.

Momo would get my vote for most gracious in defeat, as well as in victory, during changeovers, etc. She's just great.

hablo
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I don't like her, but it's stupid not to admitt that Amelie Mauresmo is one of the biggest sportsman's in tennis. I've heard from some Serbian players that she is very nice, and not up in sky, like big part of top 10...

Answer: Amelie no doubt!

:hearts:

The Daviator
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Lindsay, Venus and Serena :)

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Lindsay, Venus and Serena :)

Good god Dav, even Aga is getting preference over venus in your sig :haha:

Craigy
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Tati and Serena.

:inlove:
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Venus - Look at her expression when she's shaking hands, it's impossible to tell whether she's won or lost. :lol: :worship:

Lindsay, Kim & Monica also.

Craigy
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Me too :haha:

HiroHC
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Surely Martina Navratilova.
Especially after the Martinez match in 1994.

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:57 PM
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040125/sp2.jpg

Did Raymond really win this match? :haha:

The Daviator
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:57 PM

At least there's no Dechy :p

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:58 PM
At least there's no Dechy :p

Yes, vast improvement:D :lol:

LDF
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:01 PM

You need to edit the spelling of Radwanska in your sig, dl :secret:

backhanddtl4
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Venus is now....the old venus wasn't so much.

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM
You need to edit the spelling of Radwanska in your sig, dl :secret:

No i havent!;) :lol:

Il Primo!
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Absolutely

serenafan08
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Lindsay is amazing in defeat after she lost both GS finals in 05 she hugged her opponents even though she was visibly upset at losing & Mary Pierce is also very repectful.Lindsay is gone & Mary is nearing the end of her days so gracious players are a dying breed
Lindsay was very gracious in '05 - and those were two finals that she had a chance to win. I thought that the exchange with Serena was better than with Venus...I think Lindsay and Serena respect and like each other more. Serena even gave Lindsay great compliments in her post-match speech - whereas Venus barely said anything at all. :tape: Still, Lindsay handled it like the champion she is. I'm really going to miss her - but it's been great watching her! :yeah:

Paneru
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:22 PM

It's called, Maturation.

Although, many a great athletes never
or rarely deal well with losing, so far as
their reactions immediately afterwards
in expression or words.

Paneru
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Venus - Look at her expression when she's shaking hands, it's impossible to tell whether she's won or lost. :lol: :worship:

Yep, Venus lost in all of these matches
and you'd never know to look at these pics.

I also think, the opponenets are taken back
or whatever because looks at their expressions. :lol:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/2001/australian_open/news/2001/01/24/hingis_recap/lg_hingis2_ap-01.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/alex2215/024.jpg

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040125/sp2.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tennisfreak/vpics/zurich0410.jpg

http://www.cp.org/premium/online/commercial/tennis/050124/k012418.jpg http://img65.exs.cx/img65/1882/mel238012406lower4ps.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/889/nws5226118mx.jpg

hingisGOAT
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM
and then venus storms off to the press conference and earns her reputation as the most bitter loser in tennis

what a 180

GoDominique
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Venus has made many stupid comments in post-match press conferences which IMO is more significant than a fake smile at handshake.

rrfnpump
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I dont know who, but definitely not Venus!

The Daviator
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:50 PM

:eek:

If you didn't know it, I bet 10/10 people would say Venus won this, she looks so smug and patronising towards Maria :lol: and Sharpie looks pissed :lol:

HenryMag.
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Mary Pierce

Highlandman
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Venus,Clijsters and Pierce are very nice!

Fire_Fox
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Of course it`s MARY PIERCE:worship: :worship: :worship:
:kiss:

vanillalatte
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Lindsay and Mary (i miss them :( )

Dexter
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Mary definitely.

andrewbroad
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Monica Seles (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/) and Nicole Vaidišová (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/vaidi/).

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/vaidi/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/vaidi/)

Drake1980
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Monica

Steffica Greles
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Players that spring to mind are:

Chris Evert

Monica Seles

Lindsay Davenport

Mary Pierce (After she found God, certainly not earlier in her career, when Maleeva accused her in 1995 of making excuses.)

Kim Clijsters

Gabriela Sabatini

LH2HBH
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Venus & Serena Williams are usually gracious on court until they get into the press room!

Lindsay Davenport, Monica Seles, Mary Pierce, Kim Clijsters.

Paneru
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:16 PM
and then venus storms off to the press conference and earns her reputation as the most bitter loser in tennis

what a 180

:tape:

Yeah, sure, whatever.

Especially coming from one who has
Hingis in their avatar! :lol:

Yet, I forgot, one being "truthful",
"candid", and/or just "honest" is only
a thing reserved for certain "types" of folk.

My bad. :angel:

IceHock
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Venus is only graceful at the net, then in the press room says how her opponents did nothing, it was her and her unforced errors.

Paneru
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Venus & Serena Williams are usually gracious on court until they get into the press room!

It's rather amusing that any other player, critics, person
outside of them can say how their unforced errors and what
not cost them the match, but they say it and are "arrogant"
and everything else.

Yet, not surprised with this tennis
crew of people. Ofcourse. :cool:

Viktymise
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Venus after the Sprem match at Wimbledon 04 handled it as graciously as any player could have and few have been in that kind of situation, she never blamed anyone for losing just herself, and gave Karolina a really warm smile at the net too :)

Paneru
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Venus is only graceful at the net, then in the press room says how her opponents did nothing, it was her and her unforced errors.

Wrong!

Yet, the truth means nothing, right?

A typical venus post match comment:
"(Insert name) played well, but I feel my
errors helped and/or cost me the match".

It's something said so often of her match loses
by experts and commentators, yet Venus says it
and something is wrong.

Hingis can be "praised" for suppossed
"candor", yet Venus ridiculed for it.
Sure. :)

Paneru
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Venus after the Sprem match at Wimbledon 04 handled it as graciously as any player could have and few have been in that kind of situation, she never blamed anyone for losing just herself, and gave Karolina a really warm smile at the net too :)

Ah, but who cares about anything that can't
be put in a negative light against her. ;)

Good Times. Ain't we
lucky we got 'em. :D

IceHock
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Um well I know against Pironkova she said it about her errors and everything but if you can find me where she said she played good go for it, I really don't remember but if she did I apologize.

Viktymise
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Um well I know against Pironkova she said it about her errors and everything but if you can find me where she said she played good go for it, I really don't remember but if she did I apologize.

Interviewers always take things out of context, like remember the Dementieva - Pierce injury time out incident and in the post match interview nearly every question they asked lena was about the time out, and o all ut one lena said, its in the rules so she is allowed to do it and it was her own fault she lost concentration and then on one of the questions lena said if she feels that taking the time out was the only way to beat her then thats up to her, after that comment they made it out like it was an almighty war between the 2 and lena was furious, and like if Venus says i think that I hit alot of errors and that led to me, she usually says after it but my opponent played really well and deserved to win but they never print that comment

Im just saying that she can often be villified by the media, and yes she has been sometimes a little ungracious in the press conference but its a sport and she really really wants to win, she's obviously going to be a little upset ;) also in the interview after the tszveti match, she was very annoyed with the interviewers because the kept asking her stupid questions if i remember right

LindsayRulz
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Venus is very gracious at the net. She always smile even when she loses.

PLP
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Wrong!

Yet, the truth means nothing, right?

A typical venus post match comment:
"(Insert name) played well, but I feel my
errors helped and/or cost me the match".

It's something said so often of her match loses
by experts and commentators, yet Venus says it
and something is wrong.

Hingis can be "praised" for suppossed
"candor", yet Venus ridiculed for it.
Sure. :)

Yeah, most of the time Venus has a point ;)

LH2HBH
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Venus always says "good match" at the net whether she wins or loses.

PLP
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:55 PM

True that!

Viktymise
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Venus always says "good match" at the net whether she wins or loses.

I always say that after every one of my matches aswell :p i copied Vee, granted my matches are not as important as main tour ones :lol:

Hachiko
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:15 AM
I always thought Venus Williams and Mary Pierce were the ones who stood out.

AJZ.
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I think Ai! She appreciates the competition I think.

I don't really know for anyone else :shrug: I don't notice...

Sund7101
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Seles and Pierce

Atrixo
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:20 AM
I'd have to say Amelie, from what I've seen of her. She's an extremely classy woman. :)

Steffica Greles
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:21 AM
The Williams sisters have changed over the years. Nowadays they are among the most gracious.

But in the late 1990s, when they first came on the scene, they barely even looked at their opponents. And even now, they can both be a little narcissistic at times, such as in the 2005 Wimbledon trophy acceptance ceremony when Venus, from what I'm told (and I may be wrong) gave Lindsay no acknowledgement.

silverarrows
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:31 AM
James Blake is always gracious in defeat. ;)

SzavayFi
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Schnyder, especially when she would play Conchita. :bowdown:

clonesheep
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I thought of making a poll for this but there are too many players to choose from. So in your reply just say who you think is the most gracious player in defeat.

I think Mary Pierce. She smiled and congratulated Na Li after Li beat her 4-6 6-0 6-0 at the US Open 3RD 2006 :)

Who gets your vote?

I totally agree. I was there. Not only did Mary Pierce congratulate Na Li, but she stayed to sign autograph for the Chinese in the audience who had cheered for Na throughout the match.

Nicole Vaidisova or Maria Sharapova would have stormed off the court in a second.

cheo23
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:02 AM
:eek:
and Sharpie looks pissed :lol:

thats because Miss Maria SHARAPOVA is not buying that PHONY SMILE by VENUS....she's expecting VENUS to say in her press conference...I only LOST because I was either rusty/off my game/ALL my ERRORS. :rolleyes: :weirdo: :smash:

cheo23
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:09 AM

EXACTLY:D ....I think we're USED to her press conferences by now:lol:

Sally Struthers
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Serena, Patty, Justine, Jenn, Venus, Dokic

stefi62
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Definately Mary :worship: , but I can see noone else. Not even Kim. I remember when she lost to Mary in YEC last year, she was not gracious at all!
The difference is now Mary plays for fun, she's not playing her life, the others still seem to believe they do!

stefi62
Dec 20th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I'd have to say Amelie, from what I've seen of her. She's an extremely classy woman. :)

Are you kidding? Have you already seen Amelie defeated? She is not at all gracious, believe me! Remember Ivanovic in RG2005, Vaidisova in RG2006, Sharapova in USO2006, Schiavone in FedCup2006, Mary Pierce in USO2005.... can you really say she is sports!!!! No way!

There's a particular match, against Mara Santangelo, USO2006, in which Amelie is all but sports when Mara is leading and on the verge of scoring 3-0:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DBOQW2WF

Do you call it being gracious? :eek:

suzie
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Are you kidding? Have you already seen Amelie defeated? She is not at all gracious, believe me! Remember Ivanovic in RG2005, Vaidisova in RG2006, Sharapova in USO2006, Schiavone in FedCup2006, Mary Pierce in USO2005.... can you really say she is sports!!!! No way!
Yeah, she's a bitch for being disappointed for yet another crash at RG. Didn't she acknowledge in any of those matches that her opponent was better? So now a player is not entitled to feel disappointment when losing a match 'cause that's not 'gracious'?? please...

There's a particular match, against Mara Santangelo, USO2006, in which Amelie is all but sports when Mara is leading and on the verge of scoring 3-0:

No, I call it pressure. It wasn't antics or in anyway against Mara.

I assume you don't think Mary's over 20 secs between serves is antics or the US Open time out against Elena is not being 'gracious'... 'Cause my personal perspective on that is that it's just Mary's routines and it's in no way intented to hurt her opponent. Just don't get picky on other players if you're not ready to apply the same criteria to your own favourite.

You don't think Amélie is the most gracious player, fine. But allow others to have their (if anything else biased) opinion.

And for the record, Mary Pierce is who I think is the most gracious player in defeat.

xin_hui
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Just don't get picky on another players if you're not ready to apply the same criteria to your own favourite.

If you don't think Amélie is the most gracious player, fine. But allow others to have their (if anything else) biased opinion.

:worship:

pooh14
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
venus and serena are really nice at the net.
but they don't seem gracious at the press conference

RJWCapriati
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Seles, Pierce, Davenport, V. Williams

champion88
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I would have to say Venus and Lindsay.

Vamos.
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Serena, Patty, Justine, Jenn, Venus, Dokic

Justine? How on earth can you even fathom that Henin is one of the most gracious players in defeat? She is the outright worst player in defeat bar none. Try Wimbledon Final with Mauresmo: Amelie is hitting aces and Henin is stood there, hands on hips, "cannot believe I am losing this", then is just stood with the coldest handshake I have ever seen in a Grand Slam Final. Apparently Henin cannot bare to let Amelie have her moment, retiring due to petty injury in one Final is not enough, she has to try and ruin Mauresmo's parade even though she was unquestionably outplayed.

See other matches against Cljisters and how about this one for a treat:

Serena v Henin Roland Garros Semi-Final 2003. Serena leads 4-2, I believe, in the third and Henin practically cheats her way into the lead. She is the worst loser in the world.

dybbuk
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I do agree. Henin is a great player, but she is not a good loser. Her allez's go past pumping herself up to the point of bullying her opponent. Look at her match against Clijsters in Eastbourne. Clijsters was finding good form near the end of the match, Henin realized it, and truly was practically screaming 'ALLEZ!!!!' at the top of her lungs at Clijsters. She will do anything to win, and when that doesn't happen she is not a happy camper. People could admire that in her, maybe that's why she has any fans at all, I don't however.

vejh
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM
LOL. Henin is gracious in defeat. I fail to see what screaming Allez during the match, and being disappointed at being aced left , right, and center has to do with being a sore loser lol. No, she won't roll over and die and peacefully succumb in a match. But I'm sorry, is that what this thread is all about? I think we've identified our sore losers so far in this thread.lol

No, seriously, give me examples of Henin being ungracious in defeat, that's the best way to make an argument, no?

dybbuk
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:33 PM
LOL. Henin is gracious in defeat. I fail to see what screaming Allez during the match, and being disappointed at being aced left , right, and center has to do with being a sore loser lol. No, she won't roll over and die and peacefully succumb in a match. But I'm sorry, is that what this thread is all about? I think we've identified our sore losers so far in this thread.lol

oh, there is a huge difference between just a few allez's after a good point and screaming allez as loud as you possibly can over opponents errors. when Henin is down, she is more than willing to cheer for opponents errors. you seem to be mixing bad sportmanship with a fighting spirit. Dementieva is a fighter, as is an on Serena, along with a lot of other players. Henin however goes past the fine line of wanting to win, and doing whatever you can, even if that something makes you a bad sport to do it. her incident with Serena at the '02 French Open was not her fighting, it was her cheating. her screams of ALLEZ!!!! at Clijsters in Eastbourne when Clijsters made an UE were in very bad taste and it is something she does often. I truly don't see how anyone thinks they can make a case that Henin is as gracious a loser as Mauresmo, or Pierce, Davenport, Clijsters, ect., ect..

Vamos.
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM

No, seriously, give me examples of Henin being ungracious in defeat, that's the best way to make an argument, no?

Australian Open Final...refused to acknowledge Mauresmo.
Wimbledon Final...the coldest handshake I have ever seen in my life after a Grand Slam Final?! What? Normally there is embracing and the lot, she treated it like a first round crash, she was petty, as usual.
Roland Garros Semi-Final 2003 with Serena...4-2 down in the third, contemplating defeat so she decides to cheat.

That should be enough. They are worse examples, given the context, than any others.

vejh
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Those are not examples of a person not gracious in defeat. I saw that handshake from JHH at Wimby; whilst Amelie was celebrating she put down her racket and came back to shake her hand; It's not like Amelie was making an effort to embrace either. And you two don't be naive; this was in the midst of a tense situation between these two players that continued for a while. This was not an ordinary situation. Besides JHH doesn't go around embracing everyone.lol. A gracious approach doesn't necessarily involve embracing. And if this is the only example you have (you two tag teamers have been giving me the same examples over and over again) then you still don't have an argument.

Refuse to acknowledge Momo at the AO, are you kidding me?

As for the FO 2003, it's not worth going there because it doesn't apply to this argument at all.

Oh btw, with JHH shouting Allez for an argument, that's just ridiculous. That made me laugh out loud honestly. lol. But wait, no wonder Serena, Shara and JHH succeed, they make some of the loudest cheers on court. Oh, I see. And that makes them automatically ungracious losers because they only cheer when they lose or are losing....?? Trying to follow the logic here. Trying really hard.

You two have completely given yourselves away as having only purpose to 'hate' on JHH brining all kinds of irrelevant examples in this case.

Let me give you a taste of ungracious: "She didn't do anything special, I was just not good today", or "I played like a 90yr old on court today".

Vamos.
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Those are not examples of a person not gracious in defeat. I saw that handshake from JHH at Wimby; whilst Amelie was celebrating she put down her racket and came back to shake her hand; It's not like Amelie was making an effort to embrace either. And you two don't be naive; this was in the midst of a tense situation between these two players that continued for a while. This was not an ordinary situation. Besides JHH doesn't go around embracing everyone.lol. A gracious approach doesn't necessarily involve embracing. And if this is the only example you have (you two tag teamers have been giving me the same examples over and over again) then you still don't have an argument.

As for the FO 2003, it's not worth going there because it doesn't apply to this argument at all.

Oh btw, with JHH shouting Allez for an argument, that's just ridiculous. That made me laugh out loud honestly. lol. But wait, no wonder Serena, Shara and JHH succeed, they make some of the loudest cheers on court. Oh, I see. And that makes them automatically ungracious losers because they only cheer when they lose or are losing....?? Trying to follow the logic here. Trying really hard.

You two have completely given yourselves away as having only purpose to 'hate' on JHH brining all kinds of irrelevant examples in this case.

Let me give you a taste of ungracious: "She didn't do anything special, I was just not good today", or "I played like a 90yr old on court today".

Or even: "you must feel sorry for Mauresmo"

"No, I only think about myself right now, you know?"

Errr. Actually, no we don't know; you denied Amelie her moment!!! She could have at least just said yes and you know it.

Justine Fan
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:19 PM

:worship: :worship: They are only on here to hate, that's why I can't stop :lol: :lol: and I see you can't either.

:haha: :haha: They're funny posts arn't they vejh? :lol:

CDGS22
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Umm..JuJu...haha

dybbuk
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM

I would appreciate it is you wouldn't group me together with him. I have agreed with him once, it is not as if we are playing yes man for each other.

'You too don't have to be so naive', I never even commented on the Wimby match.

It doesn't apply? Henin fans brush over this all the time, they don't make excuses because there isn't one, instead they choose to ignore it. It does very much apply. If Henin was a gracious player in general she would have told the truth.

Second time you have misunderstood, I am trying to be good, but I am starting to think it is willful ignorance. A come on! or allez! vamos! or whatever to pump yourself up in something I don't have a problem with. it is accepted rule of thumb not to cheer for opponents errors. the only time it is accepted is when you yourself forced the error with a great shot, Henin cheers when she had nothing to do with the error. that is considered unsportsmanlike by the large percentage of people who watch tennis.

Sally Struthers
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Justine? How on earth can you even fathom that Henin is one of the most gracious players in defeat? She is the outright worst player in defeat bar none. Try Wimbledon Final with Mauresmo: Amelie is hitting aces and Henin is stood there, hands on hips, "cannot believe I am losing this", then is just stood with the coldest handshake I have ever seen in a Grand Slam Final. Apparently Henin cannot bare to let Amelie have her moment, retiring due to petty injury in one Final is not enough, she has to try and ruin Mauresmo's parade even though she was unquestionably outplayed.

See other matches against Cljisters and how about this one for a treat:

Serena v Henin Roland Garros Semi-Final 2003. Serena leads 4-2, I believe, in the third and Henin practically cheats her way into the lead. She is the worst loser in the world.

obviously the joke went right over your head. :rolleyes:

Vamos.
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:11 PM
obviously the joke went right over your head. :rolleyes:

Obviously it did...

In all honesty, I saw the word Justine in this topic and pounced. My bad.:o

Carsten
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Andrea Petkovic

AnywhereButHome
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Venus

XCoco
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Venus, she is always smiling even after a loss.

Sally Struthers
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Venus? the queen of the limp handshake? I think not :lol:

hablo
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:18 PM

She gave her the kisses after the match ? :scratch:

As for the other matches, I don't get much coverage :lol::tape:
(the mara one, I don't think she was ungracious during the handshake, it was during the match that she yelled out :haha::p )

PatM04
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Seles, Davenport, Clijsters, Mary

IMPOSSIBLE
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Ai !

rottweily
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:18 PM
Kim Clijsters is very gracious

I would rather say, she doesn't care.

pooh14
Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
i think henin is a fine. i mean she is not extremely gracious neither is she a sore loser.
she gives proper credit to her opponent. even in wimbledon final, she commented that Amelie deserve the title. Even when amelie said justine might be a little tired, Justine played down the excuse.

Both Amelie and Justine gives credits regulaly. Of course there might be some odd situations, but most of the time their are quite gracious.

I do not find Maria S that gracious though. I remember the loss against Hingis in Tokyo, she said she didn't have the fighting spirit so she lost. The in wimbledon semis, i remember her telling when she saw the video replay, she realize how bad she played.

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:03 PM
Mary Lindsay and Venus and Dokic of course

JadeFox
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
Okay so what I'm seeing is that there are few, if any, players who are gracious in defeat. Huh.

Mina Vagante
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
Okay so what I'm seeing is that there are few, if any, players who are gracious in defeat. Huh.

true, but i dont expect the loser to be all happy an 'gracious' after they just lost a match, its not exactly a happy time for them

Jakeev
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:48 AM
Of the up and comers two that I think handle themselves very well in defeat are Vania King and Jamea Jackson. If either player makes it in the game, I think they will be tremendous ambassadors for the sport.

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
ivanovic is gracious in defeat and alicia molik also

Mr.Kardashian
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
an interesting thread wud be who is least gracious in defeat.... also i think that amelie mauresmo is gracious in defeat.... a great role model for sportsmanship in my opinion

Hugo24
Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:28 AM
Amelie Mauresmo is always gracious when she is defeated .

hwanmig
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:42 AM
Uhm, well, I think I was playing decent, you know. And she started playing like really bad, and it totally threw me off. She started hitting, like, these really weird shots and short balls and, like, just weird stuff. Just like it threw my game off. Next thing I knew, I was playing as bad as she was, and she was able to recover, it seemed like; I just wasn't. I guess maybe it was a good strategy (smiling).

Who could have said this:lol:

Brett.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:46 AM
Alicia Molik was the best!

hwanmig
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:49 AM
and the most gracious player of all Amelie Mauresmo:worship:

Interview after getting killed 6-1 6-0 by Kim Clijsters in Miami

Well, what happened is very simple: She played a great game tonight, I think a great match, and making not many errors. I think, you know, I had few occasions in the, let's say, first five games, and then that was it. I think I didn't really have any other occasions later on in that match, even in the second set. I felt like she's hitting the ball better than when she stopped, and harder, hitting harder. You know, there's nothing much to say about the match. She just played unbelievable tennis. She's in huge confidence. So everything that she goes for is in. You know, I tried to come in sometimes a little bit. She just made unbelievable passing shots. All the credit to her, you know.

eck
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:49 AM
Justine Henin :yeah:

She hates to lose, but when she does, she always smiles to the one that beat her, and she gives credit where it's due :hearts:

~Eclipsed~
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:50 AM
Venus...she always smiles and congratulates her opponent when she loses to them. She is so nice.

Brett.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:51 AM
Justine Henin :yeah:

She hates to lose, but when she does, she always smiles to the one that beat her, and she gives credit where it's due :hearts:

I agreed, and she also to do cheek-to-cheek kiss, whenever she lose or win! That's very nice of her!