PDA

View Full Version : Who deserves the US WC for the AUS Open?

cartmancop
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:43 AM
The Lisa Raymond thread got me thinking about who should get the WC, and I don't really have a clue who should get it??? What about Rubin, what is her status as far as protected ranking, health, etc. She would be a fair choice. Also I'm not 100% sure of the cutoff rank:

#118 Osterloh, Lilia
#126 Mattek, Bethanie
128 Raymond, Lisa
#130 Frazier, Amy
#139 Rolle, Ahsha
#146 Spears, Abigail
#171 Haynes, Angela
#186 Gullickson, Carly
#197 Kirkland, Jessica

none of those scream "I Deserve it more than the others"..

rated_next
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:45 AM
i thought i read somewhere that Madison Brengle got the WC -- i may be wrong though

Ferosh
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Chanda Rubin!

Cat's Pajamas
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:47 AM
I didn't even know we were going to get a WC :o

Did we make a deal with Tennis Australia? Like what they do with the French Federation?

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:48 AM
i thought i read somewhere that Madison Brengle got the WC -- i may be wrong though

I read that too somewhere. :confused:

switz
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:48 AM
I don't think Chanda actually needs it because i think she can still use her injury ranking. I'm not sure though. With her history, injuries and higher profile in Australia than the others i think she would probably get one anyway from Tennis Australia - after all she's won the doubles, come within a point of making the final and played the longest women's match ever for the tournament ;)

Verdasco
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:00 AM
I didn't even know an American does get a WC? If it is true it is beyond a joke. Tennis Australia gives a wildcard to a French player, Asian player, winner of WC play-off and now a US player as well? What's the point?

Tripp
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:03 AM
I didn't even know an American does get a WC? If it is true it is beyond a joke. Tennis Australia gives a wildcard to a French player, Asian player, winner of WC play-off and now a US player as well? What's the point?

Because Tennis Australia made the deal last year so that Molik could get a WC into the US Open.

kittyking
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:05 AM
I gotta say I think Chanda will get it

RJWCapriati
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Capriati

switz
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:13 AM

err there is a very good point. We get an wildcard into the French and US in return. In regards to the Asian WC they sell the tournament as the slam of Asia pacific because huge amounts of sponsorship dollars and tourism for the tournament come from Asia. It's only right that we try to increase the number of Asian participating in the event. The WC play off is just making the young girls earn it so i don't see the problem - Molik and Dokic got it the last two years but that just means another place is free that they would have got anyway.

vogus
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:14 AM
The Lisa Raymond thread got me thinking about who should get the WC, and I don't really have a clue who should get it??? What about Rubin, what is her status as far as protected ranking, health, etc. She would be a fair choice. Also I'm not 100% sure of the cutoff rank:

#118 Osterloh, Lilia
#126 Mattek, Bethanie
128 Raymond, Lisa
#130 Frazier, Amy
#139 Rolle, Ahsha
#146 Spears, Abigail
#171 Haynes, Angela
#186 Gullickson, Carly
#197 Kirkland, Jessica

none of those scream "I Deserve it more than the others"..

Rolle, a young pro who has struggled hard for her ranking, would be a good choice. Mattek, Haynes, and Osterloh have had a LOT of USTA help already over the years.

~Eclipsed~
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:49 AM
I think Rolle is the best choice. As vogus said she did struggle for her ranking. I think another decent choice on that list would be Spears. She made the third round here a couple of years ago and is finding a decent top 50 form again.

setpoint
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:51 AM
It should definitely go to CHANDA RUBIN.

Lulu.
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Chanda Rubin

Martian Stacey
I didn't even know we were going to get a WC :o

Did we make a deal with Tennis Australia? Like what they do with the French Federation?
Correct :)

I think Rubin can get in on protected ranking? She got into Hobart right?

Verdasco
Wouldn't Chanda already be in the MD because of her protected ranking of 29 or something?

I would say Amy Frazier or Lisa Raymond deserve the WC

~Eclipsed~
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:19 AM
I really don't think Chanda Rubin deserves a maindraw WC. Because wait and see her draw a top seed like she kept doing in the fall and her being knocked out right away. I think the best thing for her would be to compete in the qualifying draw.

I don't think Raymond deserves a maindraw WC either. She's done practically nothing in the past year in singles. Doubles is a different story though.

NyCPsU
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:25 AM
im pretty sure i read that brengle got it :shrug:

jamatthews
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Brengle has gotten it. She beat Jessica Kirkland in the final.

cartmancop
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Brengle has gotten it. She beat Jessica Kirkland in the final.

I know very little about her game?? How old is she? What are her strenghths/weaknesses? Is she a 'worthy' WC recipient? (not worthy in the sense of 'hey she won the WC playoff, but worthy in the sense "does she have the ability to make a real impact in the tourney?" )

any info on her would be greatly appreciated :D

Josh.
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:01 AM
i know pratt beat her :help: albeit when she was 15

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Madison who? :o

disco_rage
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Because Tennis Australia made the deal last year so that Molik could get a WC into the US Open.

If there is one to hand out...
I'd like them to give it to Ansley Cargill (but i am biased, lol)
if not they should give to too a young player like 15 or 16-years old!