PDA

View Full Version : WTA World Grand Slam of Champions (AND THE WINNER IS? - GREAT & FUNNY STUFF!)

eugreene2
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Grand Slam of Champions
Dec 18 - Dec 24
Field of 32
Surface: US Open Hard

DRAW:

1 – Margaret Smith-Court (24 Grand Slams/4 US Opens)
32 – Jennifer Capriati (3 Grand Slams/no US Opens)

16 – Louise Brough (6 Grand Slams/1 US)
17 – Margaret Osborne (6 GS/3 US)

12 – Evonne Goolagong (7 GS/0 US)
21 – Venus Williams (5 GS/2 US)

8 - Maureen Connolly (9 GS/3 US)
25 – Helen Jacobs (5 GS/4 US)

6 - Billie Jean King (12 GS/4 US)
27 – Shirley Fry (4 GS/1 US)

10 - Molla Mallory (8 GS/8 US)
23 – Pauline Betz (5 GS/4 US)

14 – Dorothea Douglass (7 GS/0 US)
19 – Althea Gibson (5 GS/2 US)

4 - Martina Navratilova (18 GS/4 US)
29 – Arantxa Sanchez Vicario (4 GS/0 US)

BOTTOM HALF

2 - Steffi Graf (22 GS/5 US)
31 – Virginia Wade (3 GS/1 US)

15 – Doris Hart (6 GS/2 US)
18 – Nancye Wynne Bolton (6 GS/ 0 US)

11 – Serena Williams (7 GS/2 US)
22 – Justine Henin-Hardenne (5 GS/1 US)

7 - Monica Seles (9 GS/2 US)
26 – Daphne Akhurst (5 GS/0 US)

5 - Chris Evert (18 GS/6 US)
28 – Hana Mandlikova (4 GS/1 US)

9 - Suzanne Lenglen (Technically only 8 GS/0 US)
24 – Alice Marble (5 GS/4 US)

13 – Maria Bueno (7 GS/4 US)
20 – Martina Hingis (5 GS/1 US)

3 - Helen Wills (19 GS/7 US)
30 – Lindsay Davenport (3 GS/1 US)

eugreene2
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:47 PM
It’s the Ultimate in Grand Slam Women’s Tennis. Thirty-two women have gathered to finally decide who is the best female tennis player of all time. No more message board debating, chat-room arguments and bar club fights. We can finally take it to the court and decide it once and for all.

Many coaches, agents and fans are upset because their favorite player was not invited to the tournament. As was stated in the press release, “to be invited a player had to have won at least 3 Grand Slam Titles – no exceptions”. To counter the argument of “my player had tougher competition” or “my player is bigger, stronger, faster”, we say, “They are obviously not strong or fast enough because they weren’t able to win more slams.” Now on to this great tournament!

There are some key opening round matches. Twenty-four time grand slam champion, Margaret Court takes on America’s “it” girl, Jennifer Capriati. What about Evonne Goolagong against powerhouse, Venus Williams. Steffi Graf looks to shut-up the always talkative Virginia Wade while Serena Williams looks for revenge against “the hand”, Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Earlier in the day, Doris Hart, Monica Seles, Chris Evert, Louise Brough, Maureen Connolly, Billie Jean King, Molla Mallory, Althea Gibson and Martina Navratilova were all winners. Despite their seeding, most people thought Hingis would take care of Maria Bueno. They failed to remember that Bueno is a 3-time Wimbledon and 4-time US Open champion. Her athleticism and power proved too much for Hingis’ midget style of play. We also got our first upset of the day. Alice Marble took out French favorite, Suzanne Lenglen 6-4, 6-7, 6-2. Lenglen, who never had any success on the US hard court, went down fighting in the decisive 3rd set. Some thought Lindsay Davenport might sneak up on the 3rd seed, Helen Wills, but the match was never really close as Wills took it 6-3, 6-3.

In the key matches, Graf’s forehand was just on fire tonight, she dusted off Wade, 6-1, 6-1. She may be headed toward a showdown with Serena Williams who after being down 1-4 in the first set, came storming back to defeat Henin-Hardenne 7-5, 6-2. Her sister, Venus, wouldn’t be out done by little sister. She powered her way to a 6-4, 3-6, 6-0 upset of Evonne Goolagong. Finally, Court blasted Capriati 6-2, 6-1.

Wednesday's matches

Steffi Graf – Doris. Hart
S. Williams – Monica Seles
Chris Evert – Alice Marble
Maria Bueno – Helen Wills

In the bottom half …

Margaret Court – Louise Brough
V. Williams – Maureen Connolly
B. J. King – Molla Mallory
Althea Gibson – M. Navratilova

What are your thoughts? We’re only looking for 1st round analysis. Round two to resume on Wednesday.

:inlove:
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Have fun with that :clap2: :help:

goldenlox
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM
What does it mean? The player with the most slam wins and weeks at #1 was being dominated when her rival was knifed.
Imagine the slam totals if an Evert fan Knifed Martina in the back.

Drake1980
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM
cool:)

eugreene2
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Goldenlox - although that's a good point. We can't play the tournament based on what-ifs. It's based on each player at their best. So far, so good - your girl Monica is in the 2nd round.

Ryan
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:58 PM
:rolleyes: What the hell is the point of this? Basically, you pick the players you like and make them "win" an imaginary tournament. Each player at their best is EXTREMELY subjective, and if it doesn't go according to the number of slams a player's one, it shows your own bias.

Jakeev
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:07 AM
It’s the Ultimate in Grand Slam Women’s Tennis. Thirty-two women have gathered to finally decide who is the best female tennis player of all time. No more message board debating, chat-room arguments and bar club fights. We can finally take it to the court and decide it once and for all.

Many coaches, agents and fans are upset because their favorite player was not invited to the tournament. As was stated in the press release, “to be invited a player had to have won at least 3 Grand Slam Titles – no exceptions”. To counter the argument of “my player had tougher competition” or “my player is bigger, stronger, faster”, we say, “They are obviously not strong or fast enough because they weren’t able to win more slams.” Now on to this great tournament!

There are some key opening round matches. Twenty-four time grand slam champion, Margaret Court takes on America’s “it” girl, Jennifer Capriati. What about Evonne Goolagong against powerhouse, Venus Williams. Steffi Graf looks to shut-up the always talkative Virginia Wade while Serena Williams looks for revenge against “the hand”, Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Earlier in the day, Doris Hart, Monica Seles, Chris Evert, Louise Brough, Maureen Connolly, Billie Jean King, Molla Mallory, Althea Gibson and Martina Navratilova were all winners. Despite their seeding, most people thought Hingis would take care of Maria Bueno. They failed to remember that Bueno is a 3-time Wimbledon and 4-time US Open champion. Her athleticism and power proved too much for Hingis’ midget style of play. We also got our first upset of the day. Alice Marble took out French favorite, Suzanne Lenglen 6-4, 6-7, 6-2. Lenglen, who never had any success on the US hard court, went down fighting in the decisive 3rd set. Some thought Lindsay Davenport might sneak up on the 3rd seed, Helen Wills, but the match was never really close as Wills took it 6-3, 6-3.

In the key matches, Graf’s forehand was just on fire tonight, she dusted off Wade, 6-1, 6-1. She may be headed toward a showdown with Serena Williams who after being down 1-4 in the first set, came storming back to defeat Henin-Hardenne 7-5, 6-2. Her sister, Venus, wouldn’t be out done by little sister. She powered her way to a 6-4, 3-6, 6-0 upset of Evonne Goolagong. Finally, Court blasted Capriati 6-2, 6-1.

Wednesday's matches

Steffi Graf – Doris. Hart
S. Williams – Monica Seles
Chris Evert – Alice Marble
Maria Bueno – Helen Wills

In the bottom half …

Margaret Court – Louise Brough
V. Williams – Maureen Connolly
B. J. King – Molla Mallory
Althea Gibson – M. Navratilova

What are your thoughts? We’re only looking for 1st round analysis. Round two to resume on Wednesday.

So what where the other "results?"

SUPER
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Arantxa has won US open in 1994, defeated top-seeded Steffi Graf 1-6, 7-6, 6-4. Also won doubles with Jana:)

29 – Arantxa Sanchez Vicario (4 GS/1 US)

MyskinaManiac
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Hingis vs Evert... mouth-watering.

Dec 19th, 2006, 03:21 PM
:rolleyes: What the hell is the point of this?

No idea :help:

LDF
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM
What are your thoughts?

I think you've gone mad.

thrust
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Yes ASV won the USO once, Court won it 5 times.

The Daviator
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM
This poor person :lol:

So much for trying something new in GM :o

Craigy
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah because this will really settle who the best player ever is :banana:
Of course a little game like this could do such a thing :rocker2:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM
What are your thoughts?

What are my thoughts? That someone here was bored but I don't know who :scratch:

Joachim1978
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:10 PM
1) Hingis would have crushed Bueno, even if Martina had been at only 50%. simply becuase of the racket technology.

2) Arantxa Sanxhez-Vicario won the US Open in 94

3) Why is the number of US titles relevant? Surely it should just be Grand Slams, unless this is the US Open (which you are claiming it isn't)

4) Davenport would have put up more of a fight haha

The Daviator
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Davenport would have killed Helen Wills 6-0 6-0, the standard of today's players is much higher, would Helen Wills have broken Lindsay's serve? :tape: Yes, they've achieved much more, but today's players are so much more powerful and athletic, it's the nature of the game, the players of 2026 will be better than the ones from 2006

Anyway, it's your game :lol:

Dec 19th, 2006, 05:48 PM
This thread is killing me.

switz
Dec 20th, 2006, 02:43 AM
yes i knew ASV won the US Open.

Where is Patty Schnyder? She has won zero grand slams and made the quarter-finals once 8 years ago beating at the US Open Graf and she still doesn't qualify :eek: :mad: :lol: :confused:

She has a winning head to head against Graf therefore she is the second best player ever logically :bounce:

Drake1980
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:04 AM
:lol: I'm confused

eugreene2
Dec 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Yep, that's the point of this thread exactly! Having fun in the off-season. I never said no one could disagree. And I'm considering all things equal. It doesn't matter when you played in the 21st century. If you won 3 or more grand slams then you are entered into the tournament. It's fun writing AND it cures my tennis boredom. LOL

jamatthews
Dec 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM
yes i knew ASV won the US Open.

Where is Patty Schnyder? She has won zero grand slams and made the quarter-finals once 8 years ago beating at the US Open Graf and she still doesn't qualify :eek: :mad: :lol: :confused:

She has a winning head to head against Graf therefore she is the second best player ever logically :bounce:

Just behind Jo Durie...:worship:

tenn_ace
Dec 20th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Anna K. was still the most beautiful. And marketable.

eugreene2
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM
First up on court today was the lovely Steffi Graf taking on Doris Hart. Graf's forehand remains on fire and her footwork was splendid - frustrating Hart the entire match. Sadly, this didn't look like a match between champions as Graf blistered Hart 6-2, 6-3. Next up was Maria Bueno vs Helen Wills. Underated by many experts and analysts, Wills seems determined to prove she deserved the 3 seed. She was all over Bueno from the start and prevailed, 6-1, 6-4. She'll meet the lovely Chris Evert, in what many expects to be Wills last match. Evert easily defeated Alice Marble, 6-2, 6-2. The final match of the afternoon session pitted Margaret Smith Court against Louise Brough with Court taking it 7-5, 6-0.

The evening session is where the action picked up. Billie Jean King started off in a dog fight against Molla Mallory. King won the 1st set 6-3 but quickly found herself down 2-5 in the second set. It appeared that King just gave up the last game to save her energy for the third set. That proved to be a vital mistake as Mallory jumped out in front again 4-1. King fought back to tie it up at 5-all, ultimately going to a 3rd set tie break. And it was Mallory taking the match on her 3 matchpoint, 11-9 in the tie break. While that match brought the drama, Serena Williams and Monica Seles were on Armstrong stadium bringing the firepower. Who would meet Graf in the quarterfinals? Stroke for stroke these young ladies showed why they are both great champions and pioneers of big-babe tennis. Ultimately what won Serena the match was her serve. We only wish Monica had been in another section of the draw. Serena takes it 7-5, 6-4.

The two nightcaps were Venus Williams vs Maureen Connolly. Venus wins it 7-5, 3-6, 6-2. It would do Venus well to stop having these 2nd set lapses because it may cost her later in the tournament. But for now, she escapes to play the 1 seed Court in the quarters. Finally, the match simply billed as "The Showdown". The smack talker, Althea Gibson against the bully, Martina Navratilova. This was one for the ages. Living totally up to its billing, these 2 women fought to the bitter end. Ultimately, it was Martina narrowly escaping with a 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 victory. We had our first controversial moment of the tournament as well. Up 6-5 in the 3rd set tie-break, Gibson went for broke on her 2nd serve. It appeared to skid off the line for a ace and game, set, match. The linesmen called it out and doublefault, giving Martina the point. With no cyclops or replay being used for the tournament, the judge refused to overturn it. This will be debated for centuries whether the ball was in but those are the breaks. For now, we'll congratulate Martina for a well played match.

Looking forward to a great quarterfinal round on friday with ...

Steffi Graf v Serena Williams
Chris Evert vs Helen Wills
Margaret Court Smith vs Venus Williams
Molla Mallory vs Martina Navratilova

LDF
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Up 6-5 in the 3rd set tie-break, Gibson went for broke on her 2nd serve. It appeared to skid off the line for a ace and game, set, match. The linesmen called it out and doublefault, giving Martina the point. With no cyclops or replay being used for the tournament, the judge refused to overturn it. This will be debated for centuries whether the ball was in but those are the breaks.

Sure. :rolls:

The Dawntreader
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I love this thread :haha:

Asif_Nawaz
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM
SERENA beatJustine? In this form?She wouldn't even beat Valeria Bondarenko!

eugreene2
Dec 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
It's not about current form. It's about each champion at their "best". But I love it when people disagree. That's what's great about this site. LOL

Ryan
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:13 PM
It's not about current form. It's about each champion at their "best". But I love it when people disagree. That's what's great about this site. LOL

We're not disagreeing about the results. We're disagreeing with the entire premise of such a stupid thread. :tape:

oliverbecken
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:38 PM
:confused:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:38 PM
:haha:

eugreene2
Dec 20th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Oh Ryan - Come on man! Hingis made the tournament. Except her diehards, no one would predict her to win this thing. I think I'm doing a very objective job of playing this thing out. Nothing stupid about this thread. It's alot of fun. Heck, ESPN just did basically the same thing with the greatest college football champions of all time. Chill out & enjoy!!!

Ryan
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
What? Seriously, nothing about this has anything to do with Hingis. :rolleyes: I think it's an idiotic idea, especially when it's done to your 'objective' standards. You're imagining all of them at their "best". Have you seen all of them play? I doubt it. Which would mean some of it is based solely on players' results, hardly an objective way of tabulating scores. Are you assuming everyone is playing with wood rackets, or modern technology? Did everyone have access to the same fitness, training, etc? Why the US Open? Do you realize that the US Open used to be played on CLAY, not hard court, which would mean some of these women's titles which, for some odd reason seem to be important, are not an advantage.

eugreene2
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Well, I thought of it so I get to play WTA Commissioner. LOL Like I said, it's the end of the year. There's nothing going on. I felt like having some fun and that's what I'm doing. I knew it would annoy some people but it's just a GAME! Like I said, ESPN just did the same thing with college football. No, there's no real way to know who would win but sometimes the imagination is better than reality. Ryan, be sure to read quaterfinal results on friday! :-)

eugreene2
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
The drama continued today in the Quarterfinals of the Grand Slam of Champions. There’s wasn’t a match today without intrigue or excitement. First up on Ashe Stadium was the surprised quarterfinalist, Molla Mallory against super serve & volleyer, Martina Navratilova. Many believed that Mallory is only here because Billie Jean King came in overconfident. That surely wouldn’t be the case today as Navratilova rolls 6-2, 6-2. Mallory was simply outplayed in every facet of the game.

Next up was Margaret Smith Court taking on the powerful Venus Williams. I guess old skool is in because the crowd was clearly on the side of Court. But in the opening set, it didn’t matter as Venus employed the weapon that could lead her to the title. She hit 5 aces in the first set and kept the unforced errors down to take it 6-3. Once again, Venus seemed to lose focus at the start of the second. All of a sudden, her first serve left the building; she missed easy returns and errors even crept into her backhand. But apparently, it was more than a lost of focus as Venus called for the trainer at 2-4 in the 2nd set. It’s a shame that Venus has been plagued by injuries throughout her career. How many more slams could this great champion have achieved? This time it would be a shoulder strain that would derail Venus. She would play out this match but clearly unable to bring her game, she falls 6-3, 3-6, 0-6.

The evening session got off to a rousing start with Chris Evert taking on Helen Wills. That’s 37 grand slams on one court. It doesn’t get any better than that and early on in the match, Wills was definitely fighting to prove that a player from the early 1900s was just as good as those from the modern era. But it just wouldn’t be. Evert’s precision game was just too much. Though a tough battle, Evert would prevail 7-6, 6-3 to advance to take on either Steffi Graf or Serena Williams.

The buzz. The excitement. The anticipation. All seemed to rise another 100 levels in expectation of this great match. Definitely worthy of a final, this match was close from beginning to end. I’ve never seen Serena Williams this focused but Graf was up to the challenge. Clearly, Serena’s strategy was to attack Graf’s serve and to get a lot of free points off her own serve. Off the ground, both players seemed pretty equal the entire match. Tooth & nail, back & forth it would go. With Serena taking the first set 6-4, and Graf taking the second set 6-3. It all came down to a critical third set, locked in at five-all. It was there where the athleticism of Serena Williams proved to be the difference. In that 12th game, she seemed to get to every ball and hit winners from all sides of the court. What a great match! Shot for shot, you couldn’t have asked for better match. But once again, it appears that Serena competes so well that even through her rough patches, she remains alive. So with this thrilling 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 victory, she moves on to face Evert in the semifinals.

So join us tomorrow for …

Margaret Smith Court v Martina Navratilova
Chris Evert v Serena Williams

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
:worship: RENA! :lol:

Sha_ra_po_va
Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:45 PM
Ha ha! Steffi at her peak isn't losing to serena any day soon!

Mina Vagante
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
lol im confued, wot is this thread even about

eugreene2
Dec 23rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
Ha ha! Steffi at her peak isn't losing to serena any day soon!

Steffi would win some but she would lose some as she did to Seles and others at her peak.

Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:15 PM
The drama continued today in the Quarterfinals of the Grand Slam of Champions. There’s wasn’t a match today without intrigue or excitement. First up on Ashe Stadium was the surprised quarterfinalist, Molla Mallory against super serve & volleyer, Martina Navratilova. Many believed that Mallory is only here because Billie Jean King came in overconfident. That surely wouldn’t be the case today as Navratilova rolls 6-2, 6-2. Mallory was simply outplayed in every facet of the game.

Next up was Margaret Smith Court taking on the powerful Venus Williams. I guess old skool is in because the crowd was clearly on the side of Court. But in the opening set, it didn’t matter as Venus employed the weapon that could lead her to the title. She hit 5 aces in the first set and kept the unforced errors down to take it 6-3. Once again, Venus seemed to lose focus at the start of the second. All of a sudden, her first serve left the building; she missed easy returns and errors even crept into her backhand. But apparently, it was more than a lost of focus as Venus called for the trainer at 2-4 in the 2nd set. It’s a shame that Venus has been plagued by injuries throughout her career. How many more slams could this great champion have achieved? This time it would be a shoulder strain that would derail Venus. She would play out this match but clearly unable to bring her game, she falls 6-3, 3-6, 0-6.

The evening session got off to a rousing start with Chris Evert taking on Helen Wills. That’s 37 grand slams on one court. It doesn’t get any better than that and early on in the match, Wills was definitely fighting to prove that a player from the early 1900s was just as good as those from the modern era. But it just wouldn’t be. Evert’s precision game was just too much. Though a tough battle, Evert would prevail 7-6, 6-3 to advance to take on either Steffi Graf or Serena Williams.

The buzz. The excitement. The anticipation. All seemed to rise another 100 levels in expectation of this great match. Definitely worthy of a final, this match was close from beginning to end. I’ve never seen Serena Williams this focused but Graf was up to the challenge. Clearly, Serena’s strategy was to attack Graf’s serve and to get a lot of free points off her own serve. Off the ground, both players seemed pretty equal the entire match. Tooth & nail, back & forth it would go. With Serena taking the first set 6-4, and Graf taking the second set 6-3. It all came down to a critical third set, locked in at five-all. It was there where the athleticism of Serena Williams proved to be the difference. In that 12th game, she seemed to get to every ball and hit winners from all sides of the court. What a great match! Shot for shot, you couldn’t have asked for better match. But once again, it appears that Serena competes so well that even through her rough patches, she remains alive. So with this thrilling 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 victory, she moves on to face Evert in the semifinals.

So join us tomorrow for …

Margaret Smith Court v Martina Navratilova
Chris Evert v Serena Williams

OMG SO EXCITING! 11111111111111111111
:bounce: :hearts:

eugreene2
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
Let the fun begin ...

Semifinal day of the Grand Slam of Champions. Alot of hype but would we see any drama. In the first match, Margaret Smith Court jumped out on Martina Navratilova 6-4, 3-0 and appeared poised for a routine win. Many recalled the 1975 match won easily by Navratilova 6-2, 6-4 and was shocked by what was happening today. But an "at her peak" Court seemed destined to prove why she has the most Grand Slams in singles with 24 and overall with 66. Then Martina started finding her groove with her beautiful serve and volley game. On the surface, Court's hard-hitting service and forehand makes her appear a complete player, but as exemplified throughout her career, these two shots (wild in her early career) have never responded sufficiently to be rock-like in crisis. They again would be her downfall as Martina roared back to take the match 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.

Sadly, in the other semifinal, there wasn't any drama at all. Serena Williams exploded to an easy 6-2, 6-1 victory over crowd favorite, Chris Evert. Evert's game never really matched up against the brute force of Williams. Serena attacked at every angle including Evert's first serve. So although Evert got in over 70% of her first serves, Serena treated the 65 mph serves as second serves. Serena played a very smart match, coupled with her power and athleticism, she easily disposed of Chris.

But there won't be anything easy about tomorrow's final. It's...

MARTINA NAVRATILOVA v SERENA WILLIAMS

Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Omg Serena In The Final!

Viktymise
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
What is this thread :confused:

spencercarlos
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:22 PM
Steffi would win some but she would lose some as she did to Seles and others at her peak.
Peak Serena (2002-2003) lost to Schnyder, Rubin, Henin (3 times), Clijsters.
Peak Steffi (mid1987-1990mid) would lose ocasionally to players like Seles, Navratilova,Sabatini, Arantxa.
I would really find hard to believe that Schnyder, Rubin, Henin and Clijsters > Navratilova, Seles, Arantxa and Sabatini :lol:

Oh well :rolleyes:

Craigy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
Omg Serena In The Final!

:haha: :haha: :haha:

*hingis_forever*
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
This is the most idiotic thread I've seen all year! :haha: This whole "game" is just about who YOU want to win and you just try and make a believable score! :rolleyes:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:51 PM
:hug: it's ok that Hingis lost :p :lol:....it's just a joke thread :lol:

if it's serious however :unsure:....

SAEKeithSerena
Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:34 PM
serena :)

Sha_ra_po_va
Dec 23rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
I agree! To say that serena has made the final, especially after all the rubbish she's been through just recently, and to beat the likes of steffi and chris at their best, really diminishes any respect people might have had for this "tournament".

Tenis Srbija
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
OMG!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is going on in mind of persone who started this... :rolleyes:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
I agree! To say that serena has made the final, especially after all the rubbish she's been through just recently, and to beat the likes of steffi and chris at their best, really diminishes any respect people might have had for this "tournament".

OMG!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is going on in mind of persone who started this... :rolleyes:

ITS.A.JOKE.:rolleyes:

But what's not funny is your inability to accept the fact that 2002-2003 Serena was one the best things that happened to tennis since the racquet ;):lol:

mauresmofan
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
The point of this is having all the players at their best and Serena at her best was a phenominal intimidating presence on the court. We might all be getting a refresher course of her talents in 07!

cometz9
Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
Go Serena!!!! :woohoo: this is the only Slam that's eluded her :rocker2:

eugreene2
Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
I still can't believe people are getting upset over my little "fun" thread. :lol:

How many times have I said, "I just thought I would have some fun" during tennis' down time.

This quote by Tenis Srbija is my favorite ...

"What is going on in mind of persone who started this..." :haha:

The Daviator
Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:40 PM
Hmmm, I wonder who's going to win the final? :p

PLP
Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:14 PM
I still can't believe people are getting upset over my little "fun" thread. :lol:

How many times have I said, "I just thought I would have some fun" during tennis' down time.

This quote by Tenis Srbija is my favorite ...

"What is going on in mind of persone who started this..." :haha:

Martina shouldn't have lost in the 1st RD :fiery: :mad: :o :mad: :fiery: :o
:( :( :(

:lol: just kidding...

eugreene2
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:38 PM
“Celebrate good times, come on!” That was the chant of the crowd today as they witnessed a match for the ages. It was a chance to be placed in WTA World history – lauded as the greatest champion of all times. Martina Navratilova! OR Serena Williams!

The greatest surprise today was the return of the cat suit. Some suggested that this was gamesmanship on the part of Serena. A little distraction for the 18-time grand slam champion, maybe? Who knows, but it didn’t work in the opening set. Navratilova chipped & charge throughout and was more solid off the ground. Serena seemed to have trouble finding passing lanes. Great plan by Martina as she took the opening set 6-4.

Then in that second set, we saw the brilliance of Serena. This is what the experts speak of when they say, Serena should have been a 15-time grand slam champion instead of the 9 that she won. She seemed to find another gear in that second set. The forehand became the blistering force of her championship years and the serve mesmerized not only the crowd but her opponent as well. Talk about roaring through a set. In only 19 minutes, Serena had bageled a legend.

But it would be the 3rd set that legions of fans will talk about forever. We knew there was no way Serena could keep up her current form. Inconsistency has always been her middle name. Plus, there was a great champion on the other side of the net who knew how to fight to the bitter end. This set demanded high quality from each player and they were both ready for the challenge. And when Martina broke serve to lead 5-4, the contest began to look over.

Almost routinely, Martina served to hold two match points. But there was no routine opposition this time as Serena underlined with an unreachable backhand down the line followed by an audacious drive-volley. Serena ran off six points in a row, each one demonstrating her commitment to the task. Soon, the third set tie break was a reality.

The Williams-Navratilova tie break is a reminder of the greatness of tennis. It would range over 22 minutes, produce 34 contested points, and from start to finish produce moment after moment of changing fortunes. Inevitably match points followed in a tantalizing sequence with Martina first reaching match points at 6-5 and 7-6. Serena, next, held and lost two match points before Navratilova, even more agonizingly, missed three match points as Williams dealt with them firmly with a sequence of a great serve, a net cord, and a backhand volley. After having saved 7 match points, Williams now stayed out in front, holding and losing four match points before capturing the title on her fifth chance. Against Navratilova’s serve, Serena's viciously flat, forehand return produced a volley error from the Czech-American - and the match was won after just over two hours on court.

Yes, there will always be debates about who our greatest women’s champion but for this moment in time (Sing Whitney) :lol: …

We crown SERENA WILLIAMS! :worship:

The only other possible winners for this tourney could be Graf, Seles or Navratilova. Reading the bios of these 4 champions, I'm now convinced of this. Since none of them are in their prime or great shape these days, we should organize an exhibition with the four. I'm sure Richard will act as Serena's manager & commit her to the exhibition. :haha:

Adal
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Ho do you change you thread's name?

SAEKeithSerena
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:44 PM
lol yay :)

eugreene2
Dec 24th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Ho do you change you thread's name?

If you started the thread, just go to advance edit.

The Daviator
Dec 24th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Wow, so it's official, Serena is the greatest ever :hearts:

LDF
Dec 24th, 2006, 06:48 PM
ZOMG, Serena won!!11

Yayz :D :bounce: :hearts:

hingis-seles
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:53 PM
yuo go babygurllzzz!!11111