PDA

View Full Version : Tennis game for the Wii

blainec
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Anyone know if theirs anything in development using real players. Could be really sick.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Do you know what the one is like on the Wii Sports game? It looks so damn cool with the Wiimote. :awww: I want one!

Craigy
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:16 PM
LOL have you heard the stories people have done with the Wii?
Someone gave themself a black eye :haha: And someone broke a really expensive flat screen TV because the controller thing smashed the TV :haha: :haha: :weirdo:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Yeah, that sounds like something I would do.... hell, I've already smashed stuff in my room with wired remotes. :tape::tape:

Drake1980
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:28 PM
:lol:

fOxYLiCiOuS
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:30 PM
LOL have you heard the stories people have done with the Wii?
Someone gave themself a black eye :haha: And someone broke a really expensive flat screen TV because the controller thing smashed the TV :haha: :haha: :weirdo:

:rolls: I read about this a few days back :lol: :help:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/12/16/470_wiistrap,0.jpg
Jaana Baker, 23, sits with the controller of her new Nintendo Wii, in front of her LCD TV, in Placentia, California. Baker cracked her LCD screen during a particularly spirited round of Wii bowling after snapping the controller's wrist strap and sending it into her screen. :tape: :awww:

Dementinator
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I own a Pc and TV repair/sales store and have had 2 LCDs in already suffering from the "Wii Syndrome" its seems to be quite a problem...

That said ,the Wii looks like quite the gadget ,and seems to have put the fun back into gaming ,its priced sensibly ( if u ignore morons on Ebay paying $45,000,000 for them) and I really hope it wipes the floor with Sonys over priced PS3 ,take some professional advice from a engineer ,Sony products are mostly total crap these days ,thats the honest truth.

My advice ,get a Wii and just HOLD ON TIGHT TO THE BLOODY REMOTE!

frenchie
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:41 PM
the tennis game looks basic...

Brett.
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Tennis Game does not looks real - its looks like its coming from the Game Boy!
I played it before and my backhand was on fire! :D

MakarovaFan
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Other than wii sports tennis there is another,called tennis masters,developed by studio sumthing or other;no info at all on it.....

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:50 AM
I'm getting a Nintendo Wii for Christmas and planning to get Wii Sports for the tennis obviously.. Hope it's going to be good! :D

égalité
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:00 AM
The Wii Sports tennis game is so much fun! It's not all that complex because the real purpose of Wii Sports is to get you used to the controller, but I played it for like... 5 hours the other day... and it never gets old. And then there are still other sports like bowling and baseball! :hearts:

If they come out with a game like Topspin, it'll be orgasmic.

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:01 AM
The Wii Sports tennis game is so much fun! It's not all that complex because the real purpose of Wii Sports is to get you used to the controller, but I played it for like... 5 hours the other day... and it never gets old. And then there are still other sports like bowling and baseball! :hearts:

Thanks! It makes me more excited to get the Wii now! :hearts: :)

SelesFan70
Dec 19th, 2006, 04:40 AM
I played the Wii tennis game. It was fun, if not basic. What I didn't like was that you have to play doubles, so if only two of you are playing you control the net guy and the back guy. It can be confusing at times.

I loved the replays, though. :D And I always laughed when "my face" kept facing forward. It also had let cords and the crowd makes noise when something happens.

And the pace of the serve was about on par with mine in real life. :tape: :help:

henree
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Other than wii sports tennis there is another,called tennis masters,developed by studio sumthing or other;no info at all on it.....
Yes this game called either "The Tennis" or "Tennis Masters" is set to be the best tennis game ever made. It was developed by the same team that made Snoopy Tennis. Snoopy Tennis is with out a doubt, the best tennis game ever. Look up Snoopy tennis on usenet or google groups, and read all the discussions about its brilliance.

jamesuk
Dec 20th, 2006, 07:12 AM
If the rumour about the next Wii tennis game being made by the makers of Snoopy Tennis is true, then we are definitely in for a treat, as I totally agree that Snoopy Tennis was one of the BEST tennis games I have ever played, especially given its limitations (released on the Gameboy Color)

The great thing about the Wii isa that tennis games will have to be about TIMING, as thins g used to be in tennis games before Virtua Tennis oversimplified things and turned it into a contest of "How long can you press a button for" type matches, with little skill needed.

Regarding Wii Tennis, which comes free with the system......well, once you get over the limitations (doubles only, player movement is controlled by computer, no full sets can be played etc) it is an absolutley BRILLIANT tennis game.

Serves are slow but if timed right you can whack a really hard one too.

To control the direction of shots, it is basically about WHEN you swing. The earlier you swing, the more angle you will get on the ball. Leave it late and the ball will go down the line.
The key is learning how to hit those down the line shots, you have to concentrate very hard to achieve them consistently AND with power.

Power is determined , obviously, by how hard you swing. The temptation when you first start to play is to swing away like you were playing real tennis, but you soon realise that shorter , quicker snaps of the wrist will cause your ball to go very fast across the net.

Spin is fun too. You can hit over the ball, cut it, slice it, or try to hit it as full on as possible (and not raise the "racket head" ) to keep it nice and low. You can even acheive this wierd spin effect by twisating the remote in a funy way, it will cause the ball to bounce and then head off in another direction, very confusing for your opponent-!

I have just mastered the volleys (imperative if you want to beat the best players)....again, you swing early to hit the ball crosscourt, leave it till the last second to cause it to drift away from the opponent. Easier said than done, you have to be VARY aware of a few things:

If the the computer shows your player preparing for a backhand, then you MUST HIT a backhand, you cannot improvisein that way, you will screw the shot up. Although this seems like a limitation, it isnt, it shows how sophistacted the console is at picking up exactly how you are holding the controller.

As stated before, let cords happen a lot, and they FEEL so right, in that they only occur when you have put a lot of spin on the ball, or have tried to hit a very low shot. It is a LOT of fun reacting to the net cords, you have to think so quickly.

In fact the game, while it may not seem dazzling to those watching, is the most immersive game of tennis I have ever played. Every single shot you do is YOUR choice, it is not now simply a question of choosing one of four buttons.

In other tennis games you hit a powerful shot by simply pressign a button, which can be done over and over. In this game, hitting a power shot needs much more effort, and after playing for a while you actually start to get a bit mentally tired, just like in real tennis, and it is the mentally tough players who will win in the end.

Try it!

Billy Moonshine
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:16 AM
So, can u play singles matches? I really am not a fan of doubles.
Cheers. :)

jamesuk
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:33 PM
It is doubles only.

I hated this decision at first, but then, after playing it, I can totally understand why they took that decision.

The game is a freebie when you buy the console and is really only designed to show you, in the easiest way possible, how the controller can be used in many diferent ways.

By forcing you to play doubles works out fine in the end for a few reasons.

Firstly you coontrol BOTH players on your team, so YOU are the one who decides strategy, not a net hogging computer controlled character.

Secondly it allows you to first concentrate on learning all the different ways you can hit the ball from the baseline. There are LOADS of opponents to get through, but at the start, the computer net player rarely ever gets involved, so it is more a case you you testing out what movements work for you etc.

As you progress volleying sort of becomes a must to beat some players. But by the time you have reached that level you should have more or lessed worked out the timing thing, and you should be able to hit some well placed volleys thanks to that.

Though it sounds strange to say it, it sometimes really does feel like you are playing a singles match, DESPITE the fact there are 4 players, and DESPITE the fact you cannot even control their movement. I never thought I would be saying this about Wii Tenis but I feel, for a game to introduce the way the controller works, there realy couldnt have been a beter way to start.

The possibilities of more complex Tennis games, where you use the nunchuck attachment to move your player, are very high, and if this is what they can come up with for a first try, the following tennis games should be outstanding

!<blocparty>!
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:37 PM
What are UK stocks like? Could I go to my local Argos tomorrow and get one or have I left it too late? :o

LDF
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:43 PM
What are UK stocks like? Could I go to my local Argos tomorrow and get one or have I left it too late? :o

If you wanted the Wii before Christmas, you really had to pre-order it. It sold out on its launch day and I don't think any of the major stores have got another batch yet.

Sorry :awww:

Dementinator
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:54 PM
you could always pay £45,000,000,000,000 for one of the many on Ebay.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM
Oh crap. :o:sad:

Mina Vagante
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:35 PM
I played the Wii tennis game. It was fun, if not basic. What I didn't like was that you have to play doubles, so if only two of you are playing you control the net guy and the back guy. It can be confusing at times.

i though u could play singles aswell?

Craigy
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:05 PM
Oh crap. :o:sad:

They'll be cheaper anyway :p I might beg my mum and dad to get me one :lol:

SpankMe
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:39 PM
I've already heard of two people who have accidentally whacked their children around the head while playing tennis on wii sports! :lol: :tape:

Drake1980
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:02 PM
OMG, I totally want one:hearts:

PatrickRyan
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM
the game is ok, it's vary basic, you can only play doubles

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:08 PM
Sounds like fun... i can't wait to buy it! :D :D :bounce:

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 21st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Sounds like fun... i can't wait to buy it! :D :D :bounce: