PDA

View Full Version : Chinese players are chokers-Chinese officials..:tape:

Mightymirza
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:11 PM
:smash: @ chinese officials..

Beijing, Dec 17: China's top tennis officials have also blasted their top ranking women's tennis players as "chokers" for the lacklustre performance at the games, especially for losing to lower-ranking players, including Sania.

"There is nothing wrong their techniques and experience. But it's terribly wrong with their minds," said furious Chinese tennis chief Sun Jinfang.

They criticised the mediocre performances from women's tennis players who lost their singles and doubles semi-finals on Tuesday, saying their was a lack of professionalism in the players.

China's Olympic champions Li Ting and Sun Tiantian lost their doubles semi-final to Chan Yung Jan and Chuang Chia Jung from Chinese Taipei in a score of 6-3, 6-2.

Moreover, Leander Paes and Sania also defeated the Chinese pair of Yu Xinyuan/Sun Tiantian 6-3, 2-6, 6-1 in the mixed doubles semi-finals.

"They (Li Na, Li Ting/Sun Tiantian) are absolutely strong enough to win gold medals. But they haven't reached a level of professionalism on which they are supported to be," said Sun, also director of the Chinese tennis administrative centre.

"It's normal to make mistakes and lag behind in the competition. But as professional players, you should never just give up. It doesn't matter if you lose a game. It matters a lot if you lose the spirit of fighting.

"You should keep level-headed when you enter a game. World rankings don't mean anything. You have to face the challenge from lower-ranked but hard-fighting rivals. These (Chinese) players are chokers when pressure is mounting."

Bureau Report

jimbo mack
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Ouch!

there are some valid points there however, but still the chinese are gradually improving

goldenlox
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:35 PM
People still call Mauresmo a choker, and she is holding 2 majors.
Players have to learn not to pay attention to those kinds of comments.

Modiac.
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Jing-Fang Sun is a bitch!

"We(CTA) considered to not allow our girls to lose in 1st round of any tournament from 2007,or it can be regareded as a big choke."

How ridiculous! :lol:
I mean they'll possibly face Justine or Maria in high tier tournaments 1r.

Piotr'ek
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I thought Jie won the gold medal :shrug:

Apoorv
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:55 PM
that chinese team could never beat leander and sania the way indians were playing that day. i think rather than choking the chinese did a good job to play a 3 setter. est. sun tian tian.

Slumpsova
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Jing-Fang Sun is a bitch!

"We(CTA) considered to not allow our girls to lose in 1st round of any tournament from 2007,or it can be regareded as a big choke."

How ridiculous! :lol:
I mean they'll possibly face Justine or Maria in high tier tournaments 1r.
:tape:
so what are they gonna do? fire them? :rolleyes:

alwayshingis
Dec 18th, 2006, 05:45 PM
It seems miserable to play under the Chinese Tennis Fed.

Maybe if your players have confidence and mental problems you should not publicly denounce them. Maybe having confidence in them will give them confidence in themselves? Just a thought, CTA. :rolleyes:

Hikari
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:21 PM
LOL, I agree. Sun Jinfang has absolutely no tennis playing experience. She was once a volleyball player on the Chinese national team. She played the position of setter. After she retired, I think she was just given this position. She just sits around, complaining how the players don't try. Gee, if the CTA takes away half of my money, and have a woman with no tennis knowledge control every aspect of my life, I would most definitely work hard and try to please her [sarcasm]. I'm waiting for the day when Li Na, or someone to tell Sun Jinfang to F*** off.

Europe rocks
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:21 PM
What a great way to inspire their confidence :rolleyes: Surely they should be thankful that they have a wealth of players and if they do have these so called 'mental problems' wouldn't it be better if they actually decided to do something about it and hire sports psychologists instead of just critcising :shrug:

CTA :smash: :weirdo:

jazar
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:12 PM
i completely misread the thread title for a moment, i thought it said they are hookers. but going in the press and saying they are chokers and poor mentally is really going to instill them with confidence for the future

Ellery
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:31 PM
that chinese team could never beat leander and sania the way indians were playing that day. i think rather than choking the chinese did a good job to play a 3 setter. est. sun tian tian.

Totally agree.

Sun Jinfang :cuckoo: You may have been one of the world's best volleyball players and :worship: for that, but tennis is not volleyball :tape:

switz
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:45 PM
i think she worded some things entirely inappropriately but at the time she does make some good points towards the end.

you'll probably find that she is under a lot of pressure to produce results as well.

Pasta-Na
Dec 18th, 2006, 11:03 PM
luckily she has her "daughter" jie zheng to save her face in AO, Wim and the Asian Games. :haha:

1star
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Sun is not that evil compared with the directors in other sports associations in China under the particular regime. The players cannot have a final say over their training and tournament schedule as well as splitting of prize money (even though Peng has made a breakthrough after some fighting.)

To make their own positions stable, some officials and coaches are likely to find some excuses for the losses. Whenever there are some breakthroughs, they are more than happy to stand in the spotlight, receiving compliments, esp. the head coach Jiang.

They are often imputing the failures to the players by complaining them of their lack of desire, weakness in mentality, injuries and things like that. Plus there is much exaggeration in the media; Iím really worrying they are exerting more pressures than help solving any problems.

I donít think it is good to for all the top players bundled up together training and traveling along together every time.

Wannabeknowitall
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I think after watching the surgeance of the Belgians in tennis in the last 6 years, many countries believe they can do the same if they invest in it.
That just isn't the case.
It is going to take time for many of these countries.
Yes there will be good results but there will be setbacks as well.

It's time for the Chinese officials to be realistic and stop sitting on their high horse considering not one of them has ever been in the upper tier of the women's tennis world before.

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:41 PM
CTA... :help: :weirdo:

rockstar
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM
the one about not losing any first rounds is just absolutely idiotic, cmon even top players lose first rounds every now and then...

drake3781
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM
CTA: Get some better methods of motivating your players and making statements about them to the public! And NOW!! :mad: :armed: