PDA

View Full Version : What's the purpose of being so hostile here?

Geertvg
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Maybe it's because I am kinda new here, but something I've noticed and can't understand is fans who need to bash every other player just to convince people their idol is the one and only number 1... I mean, you can be a fan and still accept your idol is not perfect, you can be a fan without being plain arrogant. No player is perfect, and instead of bashing others, some really should be less bitter and should enjoy the tennis more than obsessively proove to the world their idol is THE BEST EVER1111!!!!111

Just felt liek asking why people do this, I really don't get the point. When I see fan bases do that, it has the opposite effect on me (though it shouldn't, I know)... :confused:

James
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Nice to see that there are still reasonable posters here. I sometimes have the feeling posters who can argue their point and still see the other side of the argument are becoming more and more scarce. Nowadays people just bite your head off, if you dare to disagree. Don't ask me why it happens, cause I do not understand either.

pooh14
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:07 PM
agreed.
some people bash other players just to justify their idol.

and some members bash other players because of their hatred towards another member who admires the player

James
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:09 PM
agreed.
some people bash other players just to justify their idol.

and some members bash other players because of their hatred towards another member who admires the player

Which is the main reason why some people avoid GM mostly, cause it's at its worst there. No matter how articulate and careful you are, you will get bashed no matter what, or at least that's how it appears.

Geertvg
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:13 PM
At least I'm not alone who's annoyed by that (grammar? :() ... And I'm only new here, I can only imagine what it is like during on season... It's only off season now, no matches are played now and it already annoys me to death :(

James
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:17 PM
At least I'm not alone who's annoyed by that (grammar? :() ... And I'm only new here, I can only imagine what it is like during on season... It's only off season now, no matches are played now and it already annoys me to death :(

Imagine what happens when there is some kind of incident, like for instance the hand incident with Justine (random example). Things are like a madhouse at those times and reason is far from here.

SpankMe
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Welcome to the forum :bigwave:
It's good to have a reasonable poster :yeah: they are unfortunately rare! The GM is unpleasent and bizarre at the best of times, I think most true fans stick to their favourite players forums, others like to "troll" they are most strange creatures :tape: :lol:

PS If you don't like the GM I suggest that you don't go anywhere near the non-tennis section :ignore: :eek:

Gnaag
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I think explaining the hatred that goes around the General Messages section is easy. Many posters hate any player they perceive to be a threat (present or future) to their favourite player. They would never admit to it, but why else would you put so much energy to hating someone?

The best way to deal with hostile posters is to simply ignore them. Don't give them any ammunition and they won't stick around to fight.

PLP
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM
At least we're not boring! :wavey:

vogus
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM
the squabbling on this board now is nothing compared to what it was back in the day. You should have been here three or four years ago. Now THAT was hostility.

James
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:56 PM
At least we're not boring! :wavey:

That is a matter of opinion. All that fighting can get boring very quickly. :p

Neptune
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Maybe it's because I am kinda new here, but something I've noticed and can't understand is fans who need to bash every other player just to convince people their idol is the one and only number 1... I mean, you can be a fan and still accept your idol is not perfect, you can be a fan without being plain arrogant. No player is perfect, and instead of bashing others, some really should be less bitter and should enjoy the tennis more than obsessively proove to the world their idol is THE BEST EVER1111!!!!111

Just felt liek asking why people do this, I really don't get the point. When I see fan bases do that, it has the opposite effect on me (though it shouldn't, I know)... :confused:

Agree. :)

PLP
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:01 PM
That is a matter of opinion. All that fighting can get boring very quickly. :p

That's why it's great to have so many petty threads...as soon as you're bored with one, move on to the next ;) ...

Seriously though, I usually don't take others' hostility to heart, or that would be boring, agreed. There have only been a few times I have let people get to me on this board and isn't worth my time so I have learned...

PS...as long as players are winning and losing GS's, there will be hostility here...Most of it stems from good old healthy competition. :)

Sefo
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I don't think there are true haters here. But they are a bit over protective at times to their favs. That including me, of course. :angel:
The real trolls usually get punished or deleted.

James
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I don't think there are true haters here. But they are a bit over protective at times to their favs. That including me, of course.

I would disagree. Some of the more regular haters are not trolls at all, but long time posters. I doubt you are one of the haters though.

SpankMe
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I don't think there are true haters here. But they are a bit over protective at times to their favs. That including me, of course. :angel:

I would disagree. Some of the more regular haters are not trolls at all, but long time posters. I doubt you are one of the haters though.
I'm agreeing with you hear James:) Some of the "characters":weirdo: I have encountered are long time posters, which is why they are so boring!
They constantly spue out their bile time and time again.
It's extremely repetitive which rapidly becomes boring and eventually stagnant. :yawn:
They never seem to evolve or grow up beyond their petty hatreds.
It's the same old misogyny, rascism, homophobia, size-ism and stereo typing over and over again. It's like the progress made by people over the last 56+ years has passed them by. I suppose they are just repeating what their parents/adult role models did but it would be healthier if they could learn to think things through for themselves. :rolleyes:

The result is that this forum has become a venue for them to vent their problems rather than allowing others to discuss womens tennis without them butting in all the time.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM
the squabbling on this board now is nothing compared to what it was back in the day. You should have been here three or four years ago. Now THAT was hostility.

Which is why I don't understand the grandious grandstanding today. If its such a bad place to be, then they should leave and not come back. In many ways, its much better than it was one year ago in terms of animosity.

There is a lot of useful tennis information you will find in GM that you won't ever see in the players forums.

I begin getting uncomfortable when the "morality police" begins telling others how to act, how to speak, what to say and how to say it. I mean, wasn't it enough when King Larry pounded his gavel and decided that early entry lists couldn't be posted here, that we now have the "thought police" running amoc telling us how to act????

In society, there will always be disagreements. And it is very rare in this forum that someone posts an article that truly constructively criticizes players other than their fav. Rarely. So get over it.

However, when you start telling people what they can and can't say (within reason), you will kill this forum. And the "thought Gestapo" will be the blame. And you know who you are in this thread.

alwayshingis
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM
The arguing doesn't really bother me, I think it's kind of fun. When it gets super rude, then it becomes a problem, but otherwise it is just good old argument.

I don't like the Williams sisters, or Justine, so I have fun arguing with their fans about their game on occasion. It is not as though we think this argument will lead to any truth or conclusion, but it is fun to go at each other sometimes.

I think it is a shame that people get scared away from GM rather than trying to change it for the better (or what they think is better). You can pretty much tell how a thread is going to go by the title, so don't read the one's you won't like. If you see a thread called "Serena is fat and will never win a match again!" just stay away because we all know where it is going. GM still has some very redeemable threads going on and is the best way to get people's input on a discussion because the most people are there. I think staying in your fan's forum is sad because you don't get the other viewpoints of the other fans and you become insulated in your own fans world.

James
Dec 18th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Which is why I don't understand the grandious grandstanding today. If its such a bad place to be, then they should leave and not come back. In many ways, its much better than it was one year ago in terms of animosity.

There is a lot of useful tennis information you will find in GM that you won't ever see in the players forums.

I begin getting uncomfortable when the "morality police" begins telling others how to act, how to speak, what to say and how to say it. I mean, wasn't it enough when King Larry pounded his gavel and decided that early entry lists couldn't be posted here, that we now have the "thought police" running amoc telling us how to act????

In society, there will always be disagreements. And it is very rare in this forum that someone posts an article that truly constructively criticizes players other than their fav. Rarely. So get over it.

However, when you start telling people what they can and can't say (within reason), you will kill this forum. And the "thought Gestapo" will be the blame. And you know who you are in this thread.

Yes, it is much better than it was fortunately. Nobody has to agree with anybody here, but simple respect for the other would be nice, and that is sadly missed out there sometimes. It has nothing to do with thought Gestapo or what ever dramatical term you want to use.

Sefo
Dec 18th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Still not convinced there are many player-haters on this board.

In my understanding, you can't become a hater of a player, unless that player interacted in a bad way with you or with something belonging to you, and apparently without a good reason.

Apart from the very improbable things (like she spit me, killed my mom, stole my car for no reason), you can become a hater if that player say something bad about your country for no reason, wouldn't sign you an autograph when she had plenty of time to do it but shows arrogance instead etc.

But the most common reason to become a hater IMO is "her bad interaction to my fave". She has beaten my fave by cheating, by being coached, by eating a banana when she should've drank water instead. Or "the umpire and ballboys hold on her part because she's pretty and won't call many of her outs".

But this kind of haters are only a few IMO. Much more are the user oriented haters. As I observed, goldenlox is pretty much hated by the Sharapova fans, but I have to read a post by her where she said something untrue about Maria.

SelesFan70
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Just STFU and post about your favorite player(s). :rolleyes:

:haha:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:15 PM
The animocity is harsh and unnecessary, but arguments are a part of life, and when you have people all over the world, from different backgrounds, different cultures, and different faves, it gets tricky. But like James said, the main thing is respect. There's a respectful way to say everything.

Most posters try to push the envelope, in terms of offending fans (Serena's a fat monkey, no offense...and then they throw one of these :lol: in, and they think it's ok). We don't personally know these players and, it's really rude to insult someone without knowing (in most cases) purely perfunctory info. And personal attacks on posters are just uncalled for. They really have NO need. I understand that you want to correct someone if someone is making ignorant statments, but there's no need to insult them, their family, or make threats.....does that make you much better? :scratch:

The best way, IMO to avoid getting caught up in the drama is to just have thick skin when someone says something that gets to you. Just be the bigger person and try not to get involved in SERIOUS, hostile arguments.

Like almosthingis said, playful arguments among fan groups are fun, but only when there's mutual respect there. That's the way to keep things peaceful around here. I mean Swami was right, everyone won't agree, but people should be more respectful with their comments, on their own terms, and then we wouldn't need a morality Gestapo.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Just STFU and post about your favorite player(s). :rolleyes:

:haha:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kangaroo Court now in session.

Judge Mother Marjorie presiding.

"Weighing the benefits vs the risk of limiting participants opinions in a general forum designed to discuss subject matters pertaining to tennis, it is my judgement that limiting such opinions, even when speech is not always politically correct, should not be abridged, unless the rights of others are curtailed."

Kangaroo Court is adjourned.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Here is an example of what Mother Marjorie would call, "Baby Cakes, Baby My Ass"

"Ouch! Someone hurt my feelings on an internet discussion board. They should have more respect for me as a human being, even though they don't know me personally and have never met me in real life. The foul language and disrepect is just wrong."

Note from Mother Marjorie: Grow up, people! You aren't in high school anymore and people aren't always going to agree with you or be nice to you. You think life is hard here, try the real world.

pigam
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:38 PM
they shouldn't be "nice" all the time at all.
just don't flat out insult people based on the colour of their skin, sexuality, religion, ... . But reject their opinion with hard fact proven discussions. that's great! and that's what makes GM great sometimes, but noone can deny that alot of it is just plain p"ersonal attacks" at players and fans and that's imho just silly wether you're in highschool or in a retirement home.

pav
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:54 PM
If some bugger could find the answer to that question they would win the nobel peace prize, the answer is Human Beings, it is just in us. Fight You Bastards!:) Do what I do, if you've had a bugger of a day go out just on dark and listen to the bellbirds singing for a quarter of an hour, better than sex (almost)

SpankMe
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM
The problem is there are very rarely any proper discussions (arguments for and against an idea) instead it comes out as bile and infantile bickering which is exactly why so may real tennis fans rather than tennis groupies take one look at this board and leave. :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to see what would happen if a rival forum was set up and actively enforced it's behaviour protocol. There would still be the handbag-ing and occasional spat but I doubt there would be the peurile messages which currently litter this forum. :tape:

James
Dec 18th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Here is an example of what Mother Marjorie would call, "Baby Cakes, Baby My Ass"

"Ouch! Someone hurt my feelings on an internet discussion board. They should have more respect for me as a human being, even though they don't know me personally and have never met me in real life. The foul language and disrepect is just wrong."

Note from Mother Marjorie: Grow up, people! You aren't in high school anymore and people aren't always going to agree with you or be nice to you. You think life is hard here, try the real world.

As much as you try and ridicule it, it isn't all that hard to have some respect for other people, whether in real life or an internet board. It doesn't mean you can't say anything harsh or outspoken. And yes, the real world is hard, and so is this board, everyone is aware of that. It does not stop me for one in trying to keep a positive outlook on things.

James
Dec 18th, 2006, 07:52 PM
The problem is there are very rarely any proper discussions (arguments for and against an idea) instead it comes out as bile and infantile bickering which is exactly why so may real tennis fans rather than tennis groupies take one look at this board and leave. :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to see what would happen if a rival forum was set up and actively enforced it's behaviour protocol. There would still be the handbag-ing and occasional spat but I doubt there would be the peurile messages which currently litter this forum. :tape:

That would be censorship and I am not in favour of that much. Marjorie has a valid point there. It would not be the answer. A little respect would not hurt, but in the end it's best to simply ignore those that remain negative.

Jakeev
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Frankly, I think the worst time was at the old WTA board where it seemed like bashing everyone but Mother Theresa was a free-for-all.

Yeah it has been bad at times around here and there are still posters that are allowed to roam freely that cause lots of problems on here.

But I still enjoy coming on this board and posting and I am not so bothered by a lot of the crap anymore.

The moderators for the most part are doing their job. If I don't want to get involved in arguments I don't. And if I want to, well I can argue with the best (or worst) of them.

Helen Lawson
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I love tension and drama, if this place was polite and civilized, I would have left a long time ago.

Nohting better than a good flame-war between:
Justine fans v. Serena fans
Anyone's fans v. Big Masha fans
Venus haters and her defenders were THE BEST feuds, but sadly, she hasn't played enough lately so those are all but dead.

matthias
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:04 PM
good thread :)

sweetpeas
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Just felt liek asking why people do this, I really don't get the point. When I see fan bases do that, so true.Most of the time,it"s sicking!

miffedmax
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I'm not being hostile. I'm using facts and logic to persuade every single person who posts on this board that Lena D. is the greatest tennis player in the history of the world. If the rest of you would just give up, admit I'm right and become Lena D. fans, then there wouldn't be any dissension on this board at all.

eugreene2
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Actually, this is a good site. It's not for the sensitive. I love WTA world even with the idiots. LOL

goldenlox
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:20 PM
There are some, like love fifteen, who go into a thread just to insult a player's looks. That ruins the good mood of the thread.
But the worst is Pierce, who will start threads that insult players like Nadia, a lot of times with bogus news as the insult.

matthias
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:23 PM
There are some, like love fifteen, who go into a thread just to insult a player's looks. That ruins the good mood of the thread.
But the worst is Pierce, who will start threads that insult players like Nadia, a lot of times with bogus news as the insult.

thats may the reason why pierce is bannend

goldenlox
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I think it's okay to criticise. I criticise some plsyers.
But don't start threads saying Nadia's website is canceled when it's not true.

Justine Fan
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:35 PM
thats may the reason why pierce is bannend

He's banned? :eek: :tape: :tape:

How long for?

Denise4925
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:38 PM
The arguing doesn't really bother me, I think it's kind of fun. When it gets super rude, then it becomes a problem, but otherwise it is just good old argument.

I don't like the Williams sisters, or Justine, so I have fun arguing with their fans about their game on occasion. It is not as though we think this argument will lead to any truth or conclusion, but it is fun to go at each other sometimes.

I think it is a shame that people get scared away from GM rather than trying to change it for the better (or what they think is better). You can pretty much tell how a thread is going to go by the title, so don't read the one's you won't like. If you see a thread called "Serena is fat and will never win a match again!" just stay away because we all know where it is going. GM still has some very redeemable threads going on and is the best way to get people's input on a discussion because the most people are there. I think staying in your fan's forum is sad because you don't get the other viewpoints of the other fans and you become insulated in your own fans world.

Agree and by the same token, if you see a thread entitled "Martina Hingis opponent blinded by her big white forehead and teeth", don't go in, cause it's going to be bad. :)

alwayshingis
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Agree and by the same token, if you see a thread entitled "Martina Hingis opponent blinded by her big white forehead and teeth", don't go in, cause it's going to be bad. :)

Big white forehead and teeth is a legitimate weapon. Why do you think that opponents have so much trouble with Martina the first time they play her? They have to adjust to being blinded by the light.

Joana
Now it's not nearly as bad as it was a couple of years ago. Anything that happens now is only talked about for a couple of days (even the discussion about the infamous AO final died out after about a week), back in the day bitter arguments over the same thing would last for 6 months at least.

tard~tard
Imho, I believe "we" have become accustomed to verbal aggression.
This is a big problem in my opinion.
"We" don't consider it as something unacceptable anymore,
it has become a part of "our" lives and "we" acquiesce in it,
believing/accepting (?) that this is the norm in human communication
nowadays.
The unacceptable slowly became acceptable.
It's a very sad evolution in human communication.

Messageboards often are the perfect example of anti-communication.

It's shocking, (at least it is to me), to see the language often used
on this board, the tone in which "we" express ourselves at moments,
how "we" don't really listen to one another and how "we" hurt
without even realizing or being able to empathise with the feelings
of the other.

I just stay away from topics/threads I don't like, which is about 75%
of what is posted in GM (I'm honest about that :lol: ).
Some posters are out to provoke, to see how far they can get you
emotionaly. When people can't back up their posts/insults with facts
and solid arguments, it's a waste of time to try to argue with them.
It's better to ignore, than to let them have their twisted moment of
fun. (they just love it when you fall into their verbal traps)

To me, everything can be discussed, no taboes here, I'm all for
freedom of speech, but I do appreciate a little bit of 'netiquette'.
It's not always what "we" say, but how "we" say it that often leaves
the biggest impression on people.

This is a good thread! Props for having the courage to start it.

But!
This is also a great board for tennislovers. So much information to
be found here, day in day out. Which is only possible thanks to the
contribution of the people who come over here to post!

goldenlox
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:28 PM
But!
This is also a great board for tennislovers. So much information to
be found here, day in day out. Which is only possible thanks to the
contribution of the people who come over here to post!
It is a great messageboard, I agree. And sometimes I can learn from someone who has a different viewpoint.

As long as the player bashing has some truth to it, I'm fine with it.