PDA

View Full Version : Serena plays in India in mid-Feb

mila_mail
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM
also with mirza
hope serena takes the title

Direwolf
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM
So thats on Feb 12 Bangalore Open Tier III??
or an exibition?

thats great... more tier IIIs for the sisters .. more titles

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Serena playing Bangalore? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Vaidisova
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Serena Williams to play Bangalore Open next year 11 minutes ago

Former world number one Serena Williams will play in the WTA Bangalore Open event in February, organizers said on Monday.

The 25-year-old American winner of seven grand slam singles titles has struggled due to injury and poor form since her Australian Open triumph in 2005 and has slipped to 95th in the world rankings.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061218/sp_nm/tennis_india_dc_1&printer=1

Vaidisova
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Serena, Sania to play in Bangalore

BANGALORE, DEC 18 (PTI)
Serena Williams is set to enthrall the Indian audience with her exciting power tennis when she appears for the first time in the country in the Sony Ericsson International to be held here at the KSLTA Stadium from February 12-18 next year.

Sania Mirza would be the other star attraction in this 32-draw, USD 1,75,000 prize money tournament -- India's biggest WTA Tour event, to be co-hosted by the Karnataka Government and Karnatake State Lawn Tennis Association.

Sania said she was looking forward to playing in the event.

"Sony Ericsson, who are also the Tour title sponsors, have had a major impact on the WTA Tour. They have helped tennis broaden its appeal to new audiences. I look forward to the newly created tier-3 tournament in the New Year in my country," she said at a press conference here today.

Serena, in her message flashed on the screen at the launch, said, "I'm very excited to be playing in Bangalore. Tennis as a sport has become more and more popular in India and I hope many fans of all ages will come out and see us play. I always look forward to visiting a new country and playing in new good tournaments."

Dee Dutta, corporate vice-president and head of marketing at Sony Ericsson, said they were hopeful of a long-term association with the Bangalore chapter.

Later, taking on some volleys from the media, Sania said she was hoping for the best in the season ahead.

"I've just got back from Doha with a singles silver. I've a couple of weeks time before I leave for Australia for Hopman Cup. I'm feeling good and feeling fit," the 20-year-old said.

"I have not had any injuries in the last few of months. I'm looking forward to 2007 now," Sania said.

"Singles is my priority. But I always give equal importance to doubles. I'm a singles player and it's too early to say in my career that I will play only doubles or mixed doubles. I want to play as much as I can and as long as my body permits me to," added Sania.

http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?id=438225

Mightymirza
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Amazing!!! :yeah: hope they get more stars for indian tournies!!

Apoorv
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM
its a dream come true for me! serena coming to india!

Craigy
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:09 PM
:eek:

:inlove:
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Wow that's a shocker! :eek: :eek:
Obviously good luck Serena. :hug: :hearts: But don't forget to play Tier II/I's aswell. :lol:

StarDuvallGrant
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Cool :)

Slumpsova
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM
:help:
what's wrong with her? :o

LUXXXAS
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM
its a dream come true for me! serena coming to india!
Good Luck :unsure: :yeah::devil: :haha: ;)

Craigy
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:30 PM
:help:
what's wrong with her? :o

Nothing. She's doing what a lot of top players have done when they are trying to come back. Start off with lower tournaments, and work your way up. :)
It's better to win a few matches than to suffer an embarrasing loss.

Slumpsova
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Nothing. She's doing what a lot of top players have done when they are trying to come back. Start off with lower tournaments, and work your way up. :)
she might lose to Sania or even Tulyaganova then everything will be worse :tape: :scared:

CooCooCachoo
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:43 PM
No doubt she will be given a fat appearance fee.

Good luck to her though.

CooCooCachoo
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:43 PM
she might lose to Sania or even Tulyaganova then everything will be worse :tape: :scared:

I hope to Shikha or Sunitha ;)

Craigy
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:44 PM
she might lose to Sania :tape: :scared:
or even Tulyganova :help:

Losing to Sania wouldn't be too bad, but still I'd be upset.
But there is no way she would lose to Tulyaganova...

Modiac.
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Only god knows whether she'll withdraw at this stage.
Good luck if she plays!

!<blocparty>!
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Serena never had to do this in the past when coming back from injuries?

Anyway, is this a tier III?

Slumpsova
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Losing to Sania wouldn't be too bad, but still I'd be upset.
But there is no way she would lose to Tulyaganova...
Tuly's got a lot of confidence lately.
she keeps saying she plays like top ten :tape:

Modiac.
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:01 PM
That reminds me of Pratt kept saying she plays like a top 50 earier this year.:tape:

The Daviator
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Anyway, smart move, cheap points :yeah:

Craigy
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Serena never had to do this in the past when coming back from injuries?

Anyway, is this a tier III?

Serena isn't the same player she used to be though. She has lost her confidence and this is helping her get it back ;)

Craigy
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:15 PM

I'm sure Serena can beat her ;) Serena isn't playing as bad as people think she is. she's had some decent wins since shes came back. Beating Myskina, Ivanovic, Kirilenko, Hantuchova :p Also taking a set of Amelie 6/0 ;)
She just needs to get fitter and she'll be ok ;)

Denise4925
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I don't know what you all are talking about. Serena played very well at the US Open. She looked fit and match ready. I think this will give her some cheap points and unless she's having a really bad day, Sania nor any one else in the line up will beat her. It's her tourney to win or lose.

plantman
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Alot can happen between now and February! My hope is that she actually plays the tournament so we can see where her fitness level is at.

Tenis Srbija
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Good luck to her...
If she prepares like hell she can win it, in some other case some young talented player could beat here...

Lulu.
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Smart move

doris_hdz
Dec 18th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Good luck Serena!!!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Dec 18th, 2006, 05:46 PM
:yeah:

Mina Vagante
Dec 18th, 2006, 05:47 PM
wow shes playing a lot of low tier events, mind u she needs the matches

Uranus
Dec 18th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Serena in Bangalore? :eek:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:00 PM
It'll be good for Serena (almost an automatic tourney win, with money, points, and a trophy to boot), good for Indian tennis (a player like Serena @ their tourney can help to generate a LOT of interest in the sport), and good for the WTA.

Good Job Ree! This Title is YOURS! :yeah::hug:

alwayshingis
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I wasn't too surprised by her decision to play Hobart to get match tough against some lower players, but I am more surprised by this.

It does send a really good public relations message to those who say she is not dedicated to tennis, though. It shows that she is willing to play some non-glamorous events to get back to the top of the game.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I KNEW she was hungry for #1. She's showing everyone that she's REALLY serious about getting back to the top and she'll do it any way possible :wavey: GO GIRL!

Drake1980
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:21 PM

le bon vivant
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Lol

-Makiri-
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Wow :eek:

santhuruu
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I wasn't too surprised by her decision to play Auckland to get match tough against some lower players, but I am more surprised by this.

It does send a really good public relations message to those who say she is not dedicated to tennis, though. It shows that she is willing to play some non-glamorous events to get back to the top of the game.

I think you mean WTA Hobart:confused:

kadirelf
Dec 18th, 2006, 07:11 PM
serena please play banglorea after dubai and doha

dreamgoddess099
Dec 18th, 2006, 07:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that thought hasn't gone over her head.:lol: Besides, no doubt the tour is taking advantage of Serena's low ranking and using her as bargaining chip; "We may not be able to get you the 10 top 20 players you wanted, but at least you'll have Serena."

saniamania
Dec 18th, 2006, 07:23 PM
great to see Serena coming to India. Other than the obvious facts that she wants to ease into it after a long injury break and fat appearence fee, as a Serena fan I would also like to think that, like her recent visit to Africa, she feels for the poor in less developed countries and want to visit those countries, and maybe try to do something later for those who are not so infortunate.

kadirelf
Dec 18th, 2006, 07:39 PM
serena please play İSTANBUL CUP

alwayshingis
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I think you mean WTA Hobart:confused:

Yes.

serenafan08
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I think that it's a good sign - she's willing to play to earn her ranking - not just show up to a tournament and expect to win. She's earning her respect now. This could be a real defining period of her career. She could be the Agassi of the women's tour - fighting her way back up the rankings by playing smaller tournaments first and then moving onto some bigger ones. She's got the heart of a champion - only champions fight through all adversity to regain glory.

Andy.
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Im glad to see she is really serious about this comenack and doing it the smart way.

Ben.
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:18 PM
serena playin bangalore eh, should be interesting ;) better for her to play lower level tier tourneys (even though she is quite capable of beating the top guns at big tier tourneys) just to get the matches under her belt & to get the rhythm back with no relative trouble.

smart decision on her behalf.

PatrickRyan
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:22 PM
this just shows that she's really serious about getting on top again! She already entered two small tournaments this year.

sweetpeas
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Who care"s .Just happy Serena trying to play tennis again?

Dexter
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Interesting. :lol:

Couver
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I think this is a great idea, and hopefully helps bring more exposure to the tournament there as well. Serena was basically out for almost the whole year last year. I think it's wise for her to get match play at events like this, and then work up to the higher tier tournaments and slams. Good Luck Serena :)

thomas.chung
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I feel like I am watching "Kill Bill", it is all about Serena's revenge BABY!

"Revenge is a dish that's best served cold"

Can't wait for the bagels and sticks.

darrinbaker00
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:23 AM
wow shes playing a lot of low tier events, mind u she needs the matches
No, she's signing up for a lot of lower-tier events; she hasn't played anything yet. Such is life when you're ranked #95.

sunset
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:42 AM
also with mirza
hope serena takes the title

Yeah right! :lol: :lol:

Kunal
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM
serenaaa playing in banglore..that bodes really well for womens tennis in india...

hopefully she along with sania will inspire more women to pick up a racket in my country....with such numbers im sure great talent will be unearthed.

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Serena :yeah: I'm so proud of you! Looks like she really IS dedicated and looking to get back to the top of her game! :eek: :worship:

Vut
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:28 PM

rocksania
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
hope sania beats her ....

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:00 AM
:hug: I'm sorry....I don't see that happening ;) :lol::cool: