PDA

View Full Version : My Philosophy on Lena's Grand Slam success

kinglear
Dec 18th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Iíve been thinking about her Grand Slam status including her success and Iíve think that Grand Slams donít necessarily define a player. For instance, just imagine if Marat Safin hadnít won the U.S. Open; he was regarded as one of the most talented, but without a Slam, he wouldnít have been validated. I guess. And it took Safin five years to win another Slam. So basically, as extraordinarily talented as Marat Safin is, heís very lucky to have won two slams.

Now as for Lena, sheís reached two Grand Slam finals and sheís arguably the most consistent player on the WTA tour. For instance, Anastasia Myskina won the French against Lena, but Myskina hasnít reached any other Slam finals. I donít even think sheís past the semis of any other Slam after she won the French. Just imagine if Lena had won the 2004 French and US Open and reached the final of the 2005 US Open. Some of the greatest players never win Slams. To mention another player, Martina Hingis is one of the most brilliant players, but sometimes I think her Slam results were a product of the period in tennis in which she played. If the 1997-1999 tennis scene was dominated by Justine, Lena, the Williams, at their best, Iím not so sure Hingis would have so many Grand Slams.

So that brings me to whether Lena can win Slam finals in 2007. I think she can. Would it be crazy to say that she could win three out of four Slams? Just think, she reached two out of four Slam finals in 2004. It just demands on if she can close out matches. And we all know she can. Lena can shut a chick down, especially when she comes from behind, which is all the more exciting.

LudwigDvorak
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Just to get it out of the way: I think it's horrific she's halted so often at the fourth round mark. The worst one, to me, was the Australian Open one in '05. She had SUCH a good chance at making the quarters, at the very least. But ah well.

As much as I love Elena, I just don't see her winning a Slam next year. Henin-Hardenne, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Mauresmo, Clijsters (only for 2007 though, at least), Petrova, her records are so shakey against these players, and she's bound to meet one when she gets to the quarters or better at a Slam. She can usually get a three set victory against a slightly rusty player, but when she makes it to the bigger stages in a tournament, she chokes. Having won six titles, defeated world number 1 players, led Russia singlehandedly to Fed Cup victory, finals of two Slams, whatever else you can name, you'd figure she wouldn't get scared in semifinals and finals. She has the talent to defeat "better" players, but it's so rare. I guess it's because of the serve (when you double fault as often as her, I guess it's inevitable you get broken). But all that's in her mind. She gets nervous, and a lot of players can take advantage of it.

Now, with that said, you can never tell with her. She's just as likely to lose in the first round or win the entire shebang. So hopefully I'm eating my foot next year, but more than likely, the same players will be winning the Slams as always. Especially if Venus and/or Serena are back in full force.