PDA

View Full Version : My first, and final, Lindsay experience....

joaco
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:32 PM
As some of you may know, this year I went to the US OPEN. This was a huge deal for me, since I live in Argentina, and I've never seen any other tournament other than the ATP ones that are done here in Argentina.

When I got to NY I was so amazed by the USOPEN I was practically speechless. A couple of days had passed by and I hadn't seen Lindsay play. One night when I got back from dinner, I decided to write a letter for Lindsay in case I saw her. But... what could I write (trying not to make a book)? After all, I had been a Lindsay fan for over 5 years, done a tribute webpage, suffered zillions of matches of her playing and looked up to her so much. So I told her a little bit about myself, where I was from etc. and started talking nice about her. I wrote to her she had no idea how much influence she had had in my life, how much of an inspirational figure she was, how I genuinly admired her, not only for what she had achieved and where she'd come from but for the amazing person she was. I told her was I most liked about her was how she had stayed true to herself for all of this years. I found that a true merit.
I never wrote any demand as how great it would be if she finally won that other Slam, but did say that I was just grateful to watch her play and that she was healthy again. And that just did it for me.
I must've written something else aswell.... can't really remember, it was something like not-planned and that just came out of me.

The next day, I was about to go to court 6 to watch Calleri-Moya play when I saw Lindsay Davenport, my life time hero, hitting in one of the trainning courts. Of course I got everyone out of the way and started filming and talking all sorts of pictures. Fortunately (I'm so grateful for it) I decided to take the letter with me that day, so I went over to where she signed autographs after she ended her trainning session, MOVED everyone and stayed first behind the bars. When she got there I started shouting "This is for you Lindsay! Take it!". And she was like "For me? (Are you sure??). Thank you so much!" And gave me a warm smile, straight to my eyes. Then I gave her a ball to sign. And stared at her, as close as I'd ever been in my life, trying to enjoy that moment as much as possible. She went away with my letter between hands, I'm sure she read.
I'm so happy I got to tell her how I felt about how I felt about her. It was a once-in-a-life-time thing to do. And I did it right.

So that's it guys. Hope I did not bore you. I'd never share this before here in the forum amd I think now is a great time to do so. You can also share your 'last', 'first', 'greatest' Lindsay experience. Would love to read it!

Joaco

PS: You can see in the second pic. if you look closely she is holding my letter!

joaco
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:35 PM
ok. i cannot upload cause it exceeds that 100k limit...:o

Lindsayfan32
Dec 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I read the whole thing and no you didn't bore me. This is the kind of thing that made a life long Lindsay fan I'm sure there are many more people who have had simular experiences to yours. With me it was an after match chat years ago it wasn't for long but the fact Lindsay bothered really impressed me a lot she didn't have to go to the trouble but she did. A great tennis player has retired but also a great person as well.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the story. It's hard to believe that the USO was the last time I got to watch her play.

I never had the opportunity to see her live or meet her. My only regret is that I got into this sport too late. That I missed so much time when she was at her best in the late 90s.

I have read a ton of Lindsay stories in this forum before, and this one is no different. That's her. So sweet. I'm very happy you got to see her and tell her that. Especially at her final grand slam apperance.
I guess looking back there was a reason that she kept saying she was "trying really hard to enjoy it".

What drew me to Lindsay was always her sense of self. She never bit her tongue when she was mad on court and that she was always honest with her feelings. Looking back, she's been threatening to quit since 2003. And it's 2006. We got more out of her than any of us thought we'd get. We got a million more memories.
And even if she'd lose a match here or there, I couldn't never turn my back on her, even if she would frustrate the hell out of me. I'm not sure I would have it any other way.

I really am not sure she knows how many fans she has and how much she means to us.
She is an amazing tennis player and beyond that an amazing person. Tennis has suffered a huge blow with her bidding farewell. She will be missed by other players, fans, and tournament reps all around the world.

But she will not be forgotten.

RayRob
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I have many memories of Lindsay in tennis (I'm trying not to sound as though she's dead or anything).

I first saw her play live the first time I went to Wimbledon...I won tickets in the ballot the day I turned 21 - so it made for the best birthday present! I watched Lindsay play doubles on court 6 (it was meant to be court 13 that day but a men's match was going on forever. Me and my friend queued for ages to try and get a seat only to find that it had moved to court 6!). We moved on to the correct court and I got a good view of the match - pretty close to the players.

I started snapping away with my camera but I think my lens was in the direction of Lindsay a bit too much and she gave me a few looks. She was pretty mad at herself during that doubles match so I'm guessing my snapping was annoying her...so eventually I stopped! I was sitting on the opposite side that the players were coming off so did a runner to try and get her Autograph, but to no avail.

Two years later (and perhaps my best memory that is Lindsay playing live-related), lindsayno1 and I camped out at Wimbledon. We turned up the day before the quarter finals, not knowing if Lindsay would be in the QF's because she was facing Kim that day in R16 - we knew Lindsay always made hard work of Kim so we could have made the journey for no reason.

We sat in the car park with many other fellow campers, watching the Lindsay/Kim match on my little portable TV; you couldn't see the ball [the screen is THAT small] so you had to guess which way the ball was going by the direction the players were running. It was fun being the only people that had a visual reference for the match...but we were going through various emotions in the process...joy, excitement, frustration, nervousness - it was a great match, but Lindsay triumphed! What this meant though was that we were able to get the choice of which court to go on...which ever one Lindsay was on.

The next day, we were sure to see Lindsay on the big stage. We missed her training session as lindsayno1 asked [lovely] Adam if she had trained and where....then the lady who was with him commented on our awesome Lindsay T-shirts - lol! (I might be getting days mixed up - I think this was another day that year...prior, but never mind - we spoke to ADAM!!!)

So, Lindsay played and beat Kuzzie...but during the match, me and Lindsayno1 were cheering for Lindsay and waving the flag - Lindsay kept looking over at us (was obviously us because we were the only ones in that direction to be cheering for Lindsay)...this gave lindsayno1 a bit of a complex. LOL.

My earliest favourite moment: watching Lindsay win the Gold medal in Atlanta - I'd watched her on TV during 2 Wimbledon's prior, and this win was almost like her proving to the world that she means business!

My favourite Grand Slam moment: Watching Lindsay beat the Queen of Grass on grass at Wimbledon in the final - can not replicate that moment. That year, Lindsay beat the defending champ (Jana N) in the QF (I think) and squished Alex Stevenson as if a little ant, followed by that mighty victory in the final!

Favourite Lindsay vs Martina match: This would be a tricky one, but during 98/99/00 I loved to watch these two clash! It was almost every week they would meet in the final of whatever even they were in. I think the USO 98 was a nice one, and I think there was a Lindsay win at IW in about 2000 that was pretty spectacular!

Favourite Lindsay vs Venus: Without doubt, the one in the final of Linz 2000 or it could have been Filderstad 2001 come to think of it; where Lindsay ended Venus' 30-match winning streak! Three sets of pure classic tennis!

Favourite Match-Point down match: Lindsay vs Mary Pierce USO QF 1999. I think Lindsay saved like 5 MP's or something. I remember my stomach being so churned up for that match...it's the most to-and-fro match that I've seen Lindsay in, with a high standard of tennis through out.

Favourite double bagel: Sharapova. Enough said.

Favourite Match on Clay: Lindsay vs Kim FO 2005 (I think) R16 - Lindsay miraculously got through that one!

Funny Lindsay Moment: Lindsay in a mixed doubles match at Wimbledon. She starts walking towards her chair and puts on her jacket. Sorting out her things when she realised that the umpire didn't call "play suspended" it seems she either miss heard or over heard somewhere else - but it was a pretty funny moment.

Angry Lindsay Moment: The one that always spring to mind is the good old let cord incident in the Wimbledon Doubles final '99. Lindsay was adamant that the let cord censor wasn't working, so began hitting it to "prove" to the umpire that it wasn't. The umpire got a let cord judge out pretty quickly - don't want to be messing with the Wimbledon Champion you know!!!

Lindsay's coach moment: Rob van't Hoff walking out on Lindsay's match against Amilie AO semis 1999 - he was so disgusted with her play that he didn't want to watch it anymore. Good ol' Rob - back in the day!

FAvourite match that Lindsay didn't win: Wimbledon Final 2005 - she just put the words of Rudyard Kiplings "IF" into practice; "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, and treat those two impostors just the same...". That day, though Lindsay didn't win a nearly match, she still acted like a champion should. It was due to her reactions towards Venus, that I wasn't so down about the match. One thing I've always said about Lindsay, "Gracious in defeat, humble in victory".

Well, that's it - I can't think of any more categories. Hope they might have sparked off a few memories or ideas for yourselves to write.

-Rache

hurricanejeanne
Dec 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Favourite double bagel: Sharapova. Enough said.

Favourite Match on Clay: Lindsay vs Kim FO 2005 (I think) R16 - Lindsay miraculously got through that one!

Amen. :worship:

I remember both matches insanely well.
The Sharapova match was bumped up because the Agassi/Hewitt match was a walkover. I about died when they said that the match was being bumped up. I knew this was huge for Lindsay, she could not loose to Maria on her ground.
Lindsay came out of the blocks shutting Pova up from the get go. But, knowing Lindsay's mental issues, I expected her to give Maria a loop whole and let her back in. And I was waiting for that and it never came. I was so proud of her that day.

The Kim match was insane. They showed it on tape delay here in the states and I didn't get up to watch the livescoring. When I did get up I knew the match was over. I went to check the scores on wtatour.com, and nearly fainted when I saw that she had one.
I ran around the house as if it was Christmas morning and I was a child. I was so happy that day. I then went and watch the tape delay in sheer joy. Grinning from ear to ear. I didn't care how horrible the quality was, Lindsay beat Kim on clay!
I think that was my proudest moment that year as a Lindsay fan. :D

And yes, Rache, you just gave me at least, plenty of material to talk about!

Lindsayfan32
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Rache reading what you had written has inspired me to put my owns memories to your heading

My earliest favourite moment: Watching Lindsay play in Brisbane final in 94 she won in three sets and it been that long it a tourament that no longer exists. It was her third career title
My favourite Grand Slam moment: Winbledon 99 no body gave her chance against Graf and she never looked like losing from start to finish and it also proved she wasn't a one slam wonder.

Favourite Lindsay vs Martina match: 2000 Indian wells final Lindsay came from a set and a break in the second to win in three and won the last ten games to win the third 6-0. It was the best fighting tennis I have ever seen Lindsay play.
Favourite Lindsay vs Venus: 1998 Australian open quater final. Venus looked like she was going have Lindsay on toast at a set and a break down. But they traded a few service breaks and Lindsay won the second 7-5 and the third 6-3 to take a match she should have never won.

Favourite Match-Point down match: Lindsay vs Mary Pierce USO QF 1999. Lindsay saved 2mps and on the second one Lindsay angled shot just hit the line. A high quality match and a great fighting effort.
Favourite double bagel: Sharapova. Enough said. totally agree with you Rache

Favourite Match on Clay: Lindsay vs Kim FO 2005 (I think) R16 - Lindsay miraculously got through that one! totally agree with you on this one too Rache

Funny Lindsay Moment: Lindsay was playing mixed doubles with Grant Conell a now long retire candian. They were playing a second round match and Lindsay misfired a forehand into the back fence and she went oh shit and was given a warning for swearing. A few points later Grant hits a huge lob towards the male player on the other team and tells him to tube hit Lindsay with it. Lets just say Lindsay gave him a I can't swear at you and if a looks could kill look all at the same time.

Angry Lindsay Moment: The 2001 E style final against Monica. There were some doge service line calls at best and Monica clearly hits a ace and Lindsay walks up to the chair and goes that ball was clearly in I think you better sack the linesman for that one.
Lindsay's coach moment: Don't really have one
FAvourite match that Lindsay didn't win: Wimbledon Final 2005 - she just put the words of Rudyard Kiplings "IF" into practice; "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, and treat those two impostors just the same...". That day, though Lindsay didn't win a nearly match, she still acted like a champion should. It was due to her reactions towards Venus, that I wasn't so down about the match. One thing I've always said about Lindsay, "Gracious in defeat, humble in victory". Have to say I totally agree with you on this too Rache. I was proud to be a Lindsay fan that day, she doesn't have to win to make me proud of her.

lindsayno1
Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE]So, Lindsay played and beat Kuzzie...but during the match, me and Lindsayno1 were cheering for Lindsay and waving the flag - Lindsay kept looking over at us (was obviously us because we were the only ones in that direction to be cheering for Lindsay)...this gave lindsayno1 a bit of a complex. LOL.[QUOTE]

Hell yeah! I was like 'Why the hell is she looking at me!' She craned her neck from in her seat to see what we were doing!!!