PDA

View Full Version : Future of American Tennis?

AK-DH Fan
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I'm so glad the previous thread about the Golden Era of womans tennis was started, because it got me thinking. With the demize of all these historical US WTA tournaments, and tv coverage getting less and less, let alone no up and coming American players. What is the future . I mean as far as popularity, it ranks way under football, basketball, and baseball. So basically I'm wondering what you guys think is the future? I mean, are we(tennis fans) gunna have to rely on the Tennis channel from now on to get decent coverage in the states? and if so how are we(as Americans) supposed to develope future top players without media attention? Yeah I guess there is the USTA, but I think it's really sad how this sport has gone from extreme high to low in like 2 years:sad:

Vlover
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:55 PM
The YEC on a obscure channel is a clear indication of where women's tennis is heading without prominent US players. I think due to tradition we might still see Wimbledon and the US open but all other tournaments will go to the TTC.

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:01 PM
its so sad :( lol

goldenlox
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:02 PM
The general sports media in the US doesn't cover tennis.
The US Open is in NYC. None of the NYC newspapers have a tennis writer.

I don't see how it's going to improve. The USTA will always be able to make a profit with the USO, and they seem happy.

AK-DH Fan
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:27 PM
its so sad :( lol

Yeah I guess we have to just get used to it. It's just weird to me because I got into tennis back it 2000 when it seemed to be most popular compared to now. Back when the Williams were always on Kournikova, davenport, Capriati were always on tv too. and I rememeber being able to watch all those clay tournies in Europe and all the other tournaments aswell. And if you compare then till now it's pretty crazy how it's changed. Like I said, I guess we just have to get used to it:(

goldenlox
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:39 PM
The good thing about narrowcasting is that you can always see some tennis, if you pay for it on cable or dish.
But tennis is no longer a US sport that gets any attention.

WorldWar24
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:10 PM
American tennis is dying. Pretty much like Australian tennis did and British tennis before that. Then it will be french tennis. And then we'll have China

AK-DH Fan
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:35 AM
American tennis is dying. Pretty much like Australian tennis did and British tennis before that. Then it will be french tennis. And then we'll have China

Really I thought tennis was huge in Australia.. I didn't think it was bigger than rugby or anything but that surprises me

goldenlox
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Really I thought tennis was huge in Australia.. I didn't think it was bigger than rugby or anything but that surprises meTenis doesn't have to be huge in every country.
Tennis is a worldwide sport, and plenty of countries help to pay the bills.

roarke
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:59 PM
America needs STAR power for tennis to flourish. It also needs a tennis circuit intrinsically American for it to grow, flourish and produce the world's best. It can no longer be a game that rich people play before brunch if it is to survive. In every locale in America there is a basketball, baseball and football league. Kids are introduced to these games early and they are accessible to almost everyone. That type of scenario is not there with tennis. However until this happens tennis will remain an elitist game with only a few talented kids from the lower socio-economic groups making a breakthrough. Like everything else American has no interest in developing a sport that will allow inclusion of all of it's citizens.

PLP
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:06 PM
The YEC on a obscure channel is a clear indication of where women's tennis is heading without prominent US players. I think due to tradition we might still see Wimbledon and the US open but all other tournaments will go to the TTC.

Actually though Versus isn't an obscure channel....I think most people with digital have it, but might not have realized it, like me :tape: ...

The coverage in the US isn't growing, but I don't think it's shrinking either just growing outwards of the ESPN dolldrums, which I think is good but it is still a change. The future of American tennis will be fine, but it is impossible to predict!

goldenlox
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I would love to see the YEC ratings on Versus, compared to last year on ESPN.
But I don't think those ratings are available on line.

AK-DH Fan
Dec 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Tenis doesn't have to be huge in every country.
Tennis is a worldwide sport, and plenty of countries help to pay the bills.

And I love that it's a world wide sport. I just hate that I now have to resort to the a "special channel" to watch tournaments. I guess we got a little spoiled, and now nothing.

Also I was wondering if ESPN's still covering the Australian, the French, and Wimbledon, or....?? I remember reading something about something changing at least in the next coming year or something. Anybody know anything about that?:scratch:

goldenlox
Dec 18th, 2006, 11:21 PM
I think TTC bought rights for RG

hurricanejeanne
Dec 18th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I think TTC bought rights for RG

Yes, TTC is showing Roland Garros this spring.

PatrickRyan
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I'm so glad the previous thread about the Golden Era of womans tennis was started, because it got me thinking. With the demize of all these historical US WTA tournaments, and tv coverage getting less and less, let alone no up and coming American players. What is the future . I mean as far as popularity, it ranks way under football, basketball, and baseball. So basically I'm wondering what you guys think is the future? I mean, are we(tennis fans) gunna have to rely on the Tennis channel from now on to get decent coverage in the states? and if so how are we(as Americans) supposed to develope future top players without media attention? Yeah I guess there is the USTA, but I think it's really sad how this sport has gone from extreme high to low in like 2 years:sad:

i was thinking about this today, and really in both men's and women's USA tennis there reallys isn't a good futuer. The only chance on the women's side now that Davenport retired is Serena and Venus, yes there are some solid players, and good juniors, but no Futuer grand slam champions. And no prodiges like Serena and Venus once were. When Serena, Venus, Lindsay, and Jennifer were comging up everyone knew that one day they would win grand slams, and now theirs no one like that.

goldenlox
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:47 AM
The USTA has tried to address it.
The problem is that tennis has become such a minor sport in the US, parents don't consider it for their kids.
In the US, they put their daughters in team sports like soccer, basketball or softball.

Andy.
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:52 AM
The closest thing US has to a tennis star now is Maria Sharapova, she is there sort of tsudo American untill they get a star of their own.

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Well, they still have Venus and Serena obviously just hope they can get healthy. :(

For the furture well, there is Vania King who won her first Tier III title in Bangkok this year, and Jamea Jackson who scored some good wins like over Maria Sharapova in Birmingham.

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:57 AM
The US has Venus and Serena

Lol I stated that too. Also including Vania and Jamea for the future lol. :D :wavey:

iPatty
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:59 AM
If you go around to high school's in the United States, you will find that (most) of the good female athletes are soccer players.
The USTA just needs to find a way to ignite interest in tennis amongst our schools and communities.

Because as of right now, it's not looking so good.

Seyz
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:01 AM
American Tennis is actually similar to Figure Skating. The WIlliams sisters absence is strikingly similar to how Michelle Kwan has really cut down (and maybe will retire soon). Lack of Big Stars is really the biggest issue. But then again Big Stars usually also suddenly appear out of nowhere.

goldenlox
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Lol I stated that too. Also including Vania and Jamea for the future lol. :D :wavey:You were faster than me, so I deleted. I can't see ESPN showing a lot of Vania and Jamea.
I think you'll get a lot of Roddick and Blake, and women's tennis will wind up on TTC and Versus.

.Andrew.
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:04 AM
You were faster than me, so I deleted. I can't see ESPN showing a lot of Vania and Jamea.
I think you'll get a lot of Roddick and Blake, and women's tennis will wind up on TTC and Versus.

Yeah, I agree.. It really depends on how good Vania and Jamea get over the next few years I think.

AK-DH Fan
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Yeah, I agree.. It really depends on how good Vania and Jamea get over the next few years I think.

No offence to those players, but I don't see them threatening the top, but hopefully I'm wrong.

brunof
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:13 AM
American Tennis is actually similar to Figure Skating. The WIlliams sisters absence is strikingly similar to how Michelle Kwan has really cut down (and maybe will retire soon). Lack of Big Stars is really the biggest issue. But then again Big Stars usually also suddenly appear out of nowhere.

Michelle :hearts: This is so true...although Michelle has really IMHO carried the sport for the past decade all by herself, which is so amazing. And as much as I dislike Serena and Venus, we do need them!

AK-DH Fan
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Yes, TTC is showing Roland Garros this spring.

:bounce: :bounce: Thanks... I'm so glad beacuse as we all know, ESPN SUCKS. Hopefully this meansthey'll show a better variety like USA used to, (back when the french was on that channel)

Andy.
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:21 AM
So there are no young girls 14/15/16 that are showing any promise ?

Cat's Pajamas
Dec 19th, 2006, 03:50 AM
So there are no young girls 14/15/16 that are showing any promise ?

Lauren Albanese is a good upcoming player. She's 17, which is a bit old, but she still has had some good results, like she reached the finals of the Lexilon Cup in Miami, a prestigious juniors tournament in Miami at the time of Nasdaq. She also won a 10k and won the US Girls U18's granting her a MD WC and then reached the second round of the US Open as a WC defeating Savchuk and losing to Kuznetsova 1&1. She then reached the semifinals of the junior tournament. After that she had some nice results in a few 50k and 75k tournaments. So she definetely has some potential. She has a lot of variety, a pretty game, but she lacks a lot of power. I think she could reach top 25 but I don't see her as a grand slam champion.

Of course there is Vania King, Jamea Jackson, and Shenay Perry. They all have had some promising results and Vania was playing really well before 2006 ended. So hopefully she will keep that good form up.

But the point is, I don't see any of these girls winning grandslams, which is the American standard because of Evert, Capriati, Davenport, and Williams sisters, etc.

Andy.
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:35 AM
So what they need is Venus and Serena back in action and fit

Stamp Paid
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:54 AM
After Venus and Serena, there are none. The USTA needs to do something, because American tennis will die after the Roddick/Blake/Genepri/Williams generation retires.

hingisGOAT
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:50 AM
i dont think all hope is lost

if sharapova, vaidisova, ivanovic, and golovin all rise to the top of the sport as some seem to think they will, women's tennis will be back on ESPN

jazar
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:57 AM
you know its grim when you have to start talking bout the future.
when all the american players were dominating it was like yeah this is gonna last for ages, now its like where is the next star

AK-DH Fan
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:37 AM
you know its grim when you have to start talking bout the future.
when all the american players were dominating it was like yeah this is gonna last for ages, now its like where is the next star

Yeah I know. I'm a bit of a hypocrit cuz back then I was like ugggh wtf. All we see if the Williams sisters, davenport, and Capriati. I mean I'm not even fans of them, but I mean we need someone. I really actually miss all of them

willrock
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Jamea Jackson will be a top20 one day
Vania King could be ranked a little higher.
USTA has to lead great policies towards young & tennis to bring up a champion in some years.
But who knows Sharapova might take the US nationality someday :D
In the women's side, it is clear that it seems not a great prospect for the US.
Yet, men's are more gifted with promising youngsters.

goldenlox
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Then women's tennis is doomed for US tv coverage. They'll show Roddick and Blake all the time.