PDA

View Full Version : Davenport's departure will mean end of US tennis' golden era

goldenlox
Dec 17th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Davenport's departure will mean end of US tennis' golden era

By Matthew Cronin

DAVENPORT'S RETIREMENT SIGNALS END FOR US WOMEN'S FAB FOUR: Andre Agassi's September retirement was the definitive end to the US men's Fab Four - Agassi, Pete Sampras, Jim Courier and Michael Chang - who had combined for 25 Grand Slams titles.
With Lindsay Davenport announcement of retirement this week, the end of a terrific US women's Fab Four is already here or near here, too. All between 30 and 32 years of age, Davenport, Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati and Mary Pierce (she's certainly at least half-American) combined for 17 Slam crowns. Davenport and Seles are gone, Capriati hasn't played for two years and is near gone, if not already done, and after a horrific injury in October, the curtain has nearly closed on Pierce, too.

http://www.********************/hit_list_121506.html

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:00 AM
:sad:

A FAN OF SERENA!
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:02 AM
I half-agree with this, but none of these four players have officlally retired yet. I don't see Monica or Lindsay ever coming back, but I think that the other two might still return. if it is that none of them do never return, then sadly, yes, this is true.

Brooklyn90
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:13 AM
i guess we all know this day would come :sad:

Jessie181
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I agree, it is sad to see them all go...
However, I do believe Mary Pierce still has a chance to make a comeback.
I will miss Davenport the most though..i've always followed her throughout her career more so than the rest.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:15 AM
All of these woman are favorites of mine.
But Lindsay, the baby of the group, is my biggest favorite and the woman who got me interested into this sport.

All I can say about Lindsay's departure is that at least she made her own descision. Something Monica, Jennifer, and Mary (if she cannot comeback) didn't have the opportunity to have.

Lindsay's farewell closes a curtain on the first generation of the original Big Babes.

A FAN OF SERENA!
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Does anyone agree with me that Pierce and Capriati will still come back?

Jessie181
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:25 AM

i do.
I think Pierce can make a comeback; Capriati, on the other hand, i doubt will come back.

A FAN OF SERENA!
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:28 AM
i do.
I think Pierce can make a comeback; Capriati, on the other hand, i doubt will come back.

Why Pierce and not Capriati. Capriati is younger than Pierce. I think we can completely rule out a return from Monica, she's too old, and has been away too long.

Lindsayfan32
Dec 17th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Why Pierce and not Capriati. Capriati is younger than Pierce. I think we can completely rule out a return from Monica, she's too old, and has been away too long.

Jennifer hasn't played a match in three years and can't even play fetch with her dogs. she has also said she retired unless she can play again so add of that together and it means she won't come back and it really pains me to say that as I'm a fan of her's aswell Lindsay's.

pooh14
Dec 17th, 2006, 09:17 AM
i think jennifer, monica, lindsay, venus and serena made the golden era for the US tennis (ladies).

when serena and venus retires....i see the end.
hopefully by then we have some credible players from US

A FAN OF SERENA!
Dec 17th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Jennifer hasn't played a match in three years and can't even play fetch with her dogs. she has also said she retired unless she can play again so add of that together and it means she won't come back and it really pains me to say that as I'm a fan of her's aswell Lindsay's.

I see your point. I'm just trying to be optimistic, because at the start of 2008 the only top players we'll still have will be Serena, Venus, Mauresmo, Henin, Hingis, and Sharapova, if none of these four come back. :sad:

Imagine the tour when Clijsters, Lindsay, Capriati, Seles and Pierce are all gone!

Uranus
Dec 17th, 2006, 09:28 AM
IMO the end of US tennis' golden era it was when Capriati, Seles "quit", the Williams sisters stopped to win.
Now that's worse than that, I think :( Unfortunately I don't see any of the US newcomers reaching the top, and neither do I think both Venus & Serena will regain the top spot again, though they can do it :sad:

jfk
Dec 17th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Two years.

Tenis Srbija
Dec 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM
From Monica, Jeniffer, Serena, Venus and Lindsay in one time to Meghan Shaghnessy and Vania King :rolleyes:
Soo sad... :crying2:

.Andrew.
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:08 PM
:sad: I didn't know Pierce was American :confused:

Well, there is still Serena, Venus, and some upcoming Americans like Vania King!! :D

rockstar
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:14 PM
it's sad, i like jen and lindsay :sad:

plantman
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:47 PM

I do! We should hear something from the Jennifer camp soon. Mary's return will be awhile as her injury was later this year!

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 17th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Davenport's departure will mean end of US tennis' golden era

By Matthew Cronin

DAVENPORT'S RETIREMENT SIGNALS END FOR US WOMEN'S FAB FOUR: Andre Agassi's September retirement was the definitive end to the US men's Fab Four - Agassi, Pete Sampras, Jim Courier and Michael Chang - who had combined for 25 Grand Slams titles.

With Lindsay Davenport announcement of retirement this week, the end of a terrific US women's Fab Four is already here or near here, too. All between 30 and 32 years of age, Davenport, Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati and Mary Pierce (she's certainly at least half-American) combined for 17 Slam crowns.

Please.

Navratilova + Evert = 36 Grand Slam Singles Titles

THAT was the end of the Golden Era in US Women's tennis.

Dumbass Matt needs to learn math.

tennisrox
Dec 17th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Its hard to believe how american tennis has fallen so far so fast. In a span of just 2-3 years the whole picture has changed

RJWCapriati
Dec 17th, 2006, 05:37 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Shooter
Dec 17th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Wonder why Cronin doesn't discuss the Williams sisters? Whatever - I put them in the same boat as Capriati, Seles, and Davenport. American tennis is going the way of English tennis. I'd be very surprised to see an American woman win a grand slam title in the next few years.

Vlover
Dec 17th, 2006, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE]i think jennifer, monica, lindsay, venus and serena made the golden era for the US tennis (ladies).

when serena and venus retires....i see the end.

I feel exactly the same :yeah: I'm hoping and praying for a good 2-3 more years of V & S before they even start contemplating their retirement. :bigcry:

Vlover
Dec 17th, 2006, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE]Wonder why Cronin doesn't discuss the Williams sisters? Whatever - I put them in the same boat as Capriati, Seles, and Davenport.

I guess they are not considered "golden" in Cronin eyes. :rolleyes: Hardly a surprise!:(

AK-DH Fan
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Its hard to believe how american tennis has fallen so far so fast. In a span of just 2-3 years the whole picture has changed

I know, I mean that only leaves the williams sisters and whats worse is that there is no one comming up after them. I mean yeah there's Angela Haynes, Jamea jackson, Ashley Harkelroad, and Shennay Perry. But they aren't really phenoms unlike Capriati, Seles, and Davenport were. They don't have the star quality or the game to get to the ultimate top of the game imo. I mean, if you think about it, who's the next star if US womans tennis??

tennisIlove09
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:30 PM
He goes on to say that Davenport over-achieved in regular WTA Tour events, but under-achieved in the majors.

He noted some of her missed chances to win more majors as the 04 US Open; 05 Australian; 05 US Open.

Odd that he didnt mention the 05 Wimbledon.

powerbackhand
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:37 PM
naughty lindsay didnt use contraception and now shes up da duff

supergrunt
Dec 17th, 2006, 09:35 PM
The Golden Era will start again when Venus and Serena make it back to the top :D !

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM

There is no need to bring Hillary Duff into this :p

plantman
Dec 17th, 2006, 11:46 PM

Did I miss the quote from Davenport saying that she wasn't?:rolleyes:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Dec 18th, 2006, 12:33 AM
The Williams Sisters better get back into shape and play their tennis soon... or else it'll be "USA Who?"

cartmancop
Dec 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Venus & Serena aren't gone, yet... so hopefully there are a few more bright spots in US tennis before an extreme dropoff in results... (have to admit, we've been spoiled in the US to have so many great champions @ one time)

Brooklyn90
Dec 18th, 2006, 12:56 AM
The Williams Sisters better get back into shape and play their tennis soon... or else it'll be "USA Who?"

very true......they are the USA's last hope. Yes theres some talented upcoming players, but no futer grand slams champions. :sad:

Black Mamba.
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Team USA rests on Rena and Vee's shoulders and I know that they'll relish the opportunity and represent like they always do.

Lefty.
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:07 AM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:22 AM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

:crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :hug:

Leo_DFP
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:33 AM
US women's tennis is the lowest it's ever been in history, and sadly will probably stay that way for a few years.

Miranda
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:17 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

MatchpointPRT
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Lindsay- I think she won´t comeback but i have some hope.

Monica- She said she wouldn´t comeback if she didnt play in 2006 so she may not comeback, although i always thought Monica would have another try.

jennifer- I think she will try to comeback

Mary- I think she will also try to comeback, because it´s a bad way to finish if she finishes like this. She just won´t comeback if she really isn´t able to play.

I don´t think that if they all retire will mean the end of US tennis, maybe it will just open more space for new players.

Ryan
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Venus and Serena aren't included because they're from a different generation. Jennifer, Mary, Monica and Lindsay all started in the late 80's early 90's, while Venus and Serena didn't start playing pro until like what, 96/97?

PLP
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Wonder why Cronin doesn't discuss the Williams sisters? Whatever - I put them in the same boat as Capriati, Seles, and Davenport. American tennis is going the way of English tennis. I'd be very surprised to see an American woman win a grand slam title in the next few years.

Probably because they are in their mid-20's and not even close to retirement! ;)

PLP
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Also, who here loves Vania? I believe in her! She may not be a top 10 player, it is far to early to tell for me at least. I do however see her getting into the top 20 the next year or 2 if she continues to work hard!

Tenis Srbija
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:21 AM
She is too young to predict anything...
She didn't have some :eek: :eek: sucsess... I don't think that she can be a half of Lindsay, Jen... :(

PLP
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:18 AM
She is too young to predict anything...
She didn't have some :eek: :eek: sucsess... I don't think that she can be a half of Lindsay, Jen... :(

I agree, but the fact that 17 yr-old Vania just turned pro, officially in July 2006 I might add, won 3 titles (1 singles, 2 doubles), ending the year in the top 60, is quite impressive. I am not saying that she is going to win a GS anytime soon :lol: but she is a promising teen that has already done something most professionals never accomplish...winning a Tour singles title! :)

Dani12
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Shenay and Jamea, still have there best to come ;)

goldenlox
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:09 AM
What's strange is that there are so many former starts from the US around.
There's McEnroe, Connors, Agassi, Sampras, Courier, Chang, Evert, Navratilova, Seles, Capriati, Davenport.
None of them are on the WTA or ATP tours.

DemWilliamsGulls
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Yeah the Americans are dwindling away..right now I hardly watch half as much tennis now..because they dont play...sometimes I will watch...when an Amercian is playing..but there hasnt been many..I'm not a fan of Raymond, or other americans because their tennis is slaw (boring) I really feel for American fans when Venus and Serena leave...