PDA

View Full Version : Players at a Crossroads on the verge on 2007

alwayshingis
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I'm going to take a look at some of the players who are at crossroads at the beginning of 2007 to discuss where they will go from here.

Kim Clijsters - Obviously one of the best players in the world, but if 2007 is in fact her last year it could go very different ways. She could continue her strong play and be a threat to win every tournament she plays, or this year could turn into a kind of farewell tour for her where she just plays the tournaments she feels like playing, maybe not training as hard as in the past, and does not really challenge for a high ranking or for major titles.

Anastasia Myskina - Whatever you may think about her Grand Slam win being a fluke, she is a talented player who has the game to be top 10. She is certainly suffering from some confidence issues, even making that comment that she would retire after 2006 if she did not make the Championships. It looks like he will continue in 2007, but if this year doesn't go well for her, we could see her trail off to a quick finish.

Anna-Lena Groenefeld - A player with a great serve and a lot of raw talent, but she had a horrific run at the end of 2006 that would have made Abigail Spears proud. Even with that she is ranked in the top 20, and wiwth some guidance, I think she has the game for the top ten, but she could certainly also continue this run and disappear into anonymity, so 2007 will be very crucial for ALG.

Vera Zvonareva - Good old waterworks certainly has a lot of talent as well. She has been a bit of a ping pong ball all over the rankings fro the past couple of years, though. She had a difficult start to the season, but seemed to pick it up around mid-summer to get back to the top 30. With her, it seems to be entirely mental. If she can get her head together, she can turn things around in 2007, otherwise it seems a plummet is in store.

I'll add more as they come to me, and feel free to add more as well.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I don't think Vera is at a crossroads. She won 2 Tier III's this year.
The USO doubles and Wimbledon mixed.

Kirilenko has to improve, but she's too young to be at a crossroad.

alwayshingis
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I don't think Vera is at a crossroads. She won 2 Tier III's this year.
The USO doubles and Wimbledon mixed.

Kirilenko has to improve, but she's too young to be at a crossroad.

Right, she did have strong moments on the year, but she is all too likely to go into a funk again. I think she is a better player than the 20-40 range, and 2007 could be critical for her getting to where she belongs.

vogus
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:00 PM
i think '07 is going to be another pretty soft year in the WTA, one that presents big opportunities for surprise players to step up and do well. Henin and Sharapova are going to be there at the top, but besides those two, nobody else is a sure bet. Clisters could certainly go either way. I think Myskina doesn't belong on the list. She's past the crossroads.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Vera could have been top 20 this year, but her draws at majors were terrible.
She won Birmingham, and drew Kim in round 1 of Wimbledon.
She drew Dinara in round 1 of RG.
Bad luck.

The player I will follow very closely this year is Elena Bovina. She came back from injury last fall, but didn't play well.

Thauron
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I agree with Goldenlox - Vera's 2006 was probably more of a crossroad than 2007 will be (At least I hope so) - she seems to be heading in the right direction nowadays.

I agree on the others though.

One might add both William sisters: will their career's survive another year like 2006? - I don't consider it very unlikely they'll will call it quits if things do not improve next year. This is especially true for Serena.

Maybe Hingis as well. She did remarkably well this year - but she needs to take that extra step to be a real contender for the majors. Will she make that? And - if she doesn't or if next year isn't as good as this year, will someone as talented and ambitious as her be content with a position below tha absolute top?

DavyJone96431
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Hantuchova, Hingis, and Jankovic are at crossroads too (sigh)

vogus
as much as any other player, i'd say Mauresmo is at a crossroads. Is she going to keep her momentum and win at least one GS title this year, or is she satisfied with her career already? She has little left to prove, other than at RG.

DavyJone96431
Vera could have been top 20 this year, but her draws at majors were terrible.
She won Birmingham, and drew Kim in round 1 of Wimbledon.
She drew Dinara in round 1 of RG.
Bad luck.

The player I will follow very closely this year is Elena Bovina. She came back from injury last fall, but didn't play well.

and she drew Hingis in the first round of AO :taped:

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:11 PM
and she drew Hingis in the first round of AO :taped:That's right, and Vera had made the Aukland final.
Vera might be top 20 now with some luck at the draw. Yet in doubles, she won twice at the majors.
So it was a good year.

SAEKeithSerena
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:23 PM
how is Vera at a crossroads? she picked up a lot of confidence last season.

hingisGOAT
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
kim clijsters - what a damn shame. as much as i hate those "at their best" comparisons, i'll say it: nobody can top clijsters when she's playing her best. she runs faster than anyone, hits hard, heavy groundies, and plays tennis' most immaculate defense, all of which she can do better than even that other belgian. to see her go from winning a slam and briefly dominating the tour, to piling up consecutive losses to henin, mauresmo, and sharapova, is incredibly disappointing.

there is no conceivable way that clijsters will perform better in 2007 than 2006. she does not have the same confidence and belief that she had in 2005, nor do i think she is going to expend any considerable amount of energy to regain that confidence and belief :shrug:

she will still beat most players, even most top players, but will fall short in big matches and miss chunks of the year due to insufficient training/injuries. she will not keep her top 5 rank. again, what a waste of talent.

anastasia myskina will probably retire. well, i don't know that, but here's what i do know: her match with amelie mauresmo at wimbledon was quite possibly the worst match of all time. and myskina was supposedly playing well! mentally and physically she has deteriorated, showing no signs of improvement. in her day, she was never the best player out there, BUT she hit a very hard, flat ball for her small frame... these days her shots seem to have absolutely no pace. her tumble continues.

Anna-Lena Groenfeld is just a poor man's elena bovina, and i mean poor man's when i say poor man's. what an obnoxious forehand this girl has, and an unnecessarily high-risk game which is quite the eyesore. she is too physically imposing to ever fall off the radar completely, but her career will follow the same pattern forever: when all her shots fall in, she'll make a deep run every couple of months, but otherwise, she'll rack up early round losses

vera zvonareva is not at a crossroads as others have said. i still can't believe she has fallen off for so long now, i've been waiting for her to get back to the upper echelons of women's tennis for quite a while. she is quite simply so remarkably sound technically, very strong off her back foot, and posesses such a broad variety of shots. she is going nowhere but up in 2007.

other players at crossroads are: williamsx2, but what can be said about them that hasn't been said already? ana ivanovic is at a crossroads too: she has had very few impressive results, and there is no denying that her game is explosive and has great potential, but her potential hasn't materialized and we've been waiting a long time.

2007 will be interesting, a few veterans will be leaving tennis and there are very few youngsters (vaidisova?) to take their place. this will leave the door wide open for the lower half of the top 10 to take the slams by storm, ala 2004

SpankMe
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:27 PM
2007 will be an interesting year ~ Kim's last year on tour, Lindsay's starting her new life already, Venus and Serena injured, Mary Pierce extremely doubtful for the year, Amelie and Justine carrying injuries as always :rolleyes: Hingis on the rise, Sharapova going strong.
The Grand Slams are really up for grabs this year, it could be time for some break-throughs for the younger crowd.
It's going to be interesting to watch! :wavey:

Derek.
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Hantuchova, Hingis, and Jankovic are at crossroads too (sigh)

Daniela is not at a crossroad.

Maybe for her second title though. :o

IceHock
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Daniela is not at a crossroad.

Maybe for her second title though. :o

Def. Daniela ended 2006 on a high note obviously besides the injury that forced her to retire in Linz, she was very strong in Zurich and I was impressed with her play alot. To me her form was bext at the end of the year and I expect good things next year because outside of the slams and Zurich she has almost nothing to defend.

Martian Willow
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I think Vera is at a crossroads in the sense that this year, it looked like she was getting back on track but for some bad draws, minor injuries and illnesses. Next year she needs to finally make use of her ability, or just be wasted potential forever.

AnnaK_4ever
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:01 PM
It's funny how overrated Zvonareva is. The girl has a nightmarish record vs Top 10 and never won anything worthy of attention, just bunch of Smashnova's level tournies, never even reached a single big final...

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Who is overrating her?

jfk
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Clijsters, Myskina, Zvonareva, and Groenefeld are great examples of players at a crossroads. All four have fallen from their career highs, but should be in or near the primes of their careers. 2007 will really answer a lot of questions about where they truly belong.

No way should players like Mauresmo or Jankovic, both of whom had career best years in 2006, be considered at a "crossroads." Hantuchova was in a crossroads a couple years ago...now she's clearly plateaued and will make a nice living out of being top 15-25.

vogus
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Clijsters, Myskina, Zvonareva, and Groenefeld are great examples of players at a crossroads. All four have fallen from their career highs, but should be in or near the primes of their careers. 2007 will really answer a lot of questions about where they truly belong.

how is Myskina at a "crossroads"? She has been far off her best form for two full seasons. She's a long shot to ever have another season like '04 again.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Every player wants to have a career year. For Kim, this year is it, so it's vital.
Myskina won't be around that much longer, so it's an important year.
Vera is 22 and should be around for a while. 2007 isn't an emergency for her.