PDA

View Full Version : Funny how even after this year people still dont take Mauresmo seriously...

floco
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I was reading the thread about JHH's shot at the Grand Slam next year, and was shocked to read so many posts saying that Amelie will most probably not win another Slam...
I mean the girl won 2 out of 4 last year, and even after a bad fall season and despite injury, she made it to the finals of the YEC.
So I know I might not be totally unbiased here, but I think her results at the BIG events speak for themselves.... so I wouldnt exactly count her off.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I'm surprised by it too. Amelie wom Wimbledon fair and square.
She was in the toughest section of the draw.
And after she won the AO, she won 2 more tournaments.

Derek.
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Because outside of the slams, she didn't really do much. She only won two titles outside of the slams.

skanky~skanketta
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM
maybe it's because of her lack of consistency at the smaller tournaments. but from history, we know u can never count out a champion. everyone though capriati was done after 01, but she shocked everyone by winning the AO the following year.

sapir1434
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah, funny. But that's ok, she will prove them wrong. :)

Kart
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

In that Justine thread there are posts not taking other slam winners seriously as well ;).

As long as Amelie takes her chances seriously, that's what matters.

.Andrew.
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

In that Justine thread there are posts not taking other slam winners seriously as well ;).

As long as Amelie takes her chances seriously, that's what matters.

I agree. :)

Slumpsova
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:34 PM
she is still inconsistent. i don't see her as a potentially winner in every tournies she enters, unlike Maria or Justine :shrug:

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:45 PM
she is still inconsistent. i don't see her as a potentially winner in every tournies she enters, unlike Maria or Justine :shrug:
Sharapova has never made any clay tournament final. Justine has only won a major on clay(2x), going back to January 2004. 3 years ago.
Amelie is the only player holding 2 majors.

supergrunt
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:54 PM
does anyone know how to use upfile?

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I was reading the thread about JHH's shot at the Grand Slam next year, and was shocked to read so many posts saying that Amelie will most probably not win another Slam...
I mean the girl won 2 out of 4 last year, and even after a bad fall season and despite injury, she made it to the finals of the YEC.
So I know I might not be totally unbiased here, but I think her results at the BIG events speak for themselves.... so I wouldnt exactly count her off.

So many posts? Like, two people said it, including me.

I'm sorry but Mauresmo's slam victories were totally unconvincing for me. To win another one she's going to have to get lucky. Without that luck she's going to struggle. [/imo]

:shrug:

Monica_Rules
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:09 PM
How was her wimbledon win unconvincing? I thought once Sharapova had won that 2dn set it was curtains for amelie but she came back. And she came back from a set down in the final playing some brilliant grass court tennis.

Have to say this years wimbleodn final was the most enjoyable in a while for, seeing two playing using classic grass court skills. And i'm not a fan of JHH but that final:worship:

jimbo mack
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:14 PM
mauresmo cannot be counted out next year except maybe at the french

no-one will ever know what would have happened if kim or justine hadn't retired from their matches at the aus open, but tennis is also the case of the last one standing aswell as the last one winning

and mauresmo played great grass court tennis to win wimbledon this year defeating 3 in-form players: myskina, sharapova and henin.

she is a worthy champion!

Tenis Srbija
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:16 PM
She will not be a GS winner in future... I can guarntee that...
Sorry guys, but the fact is that in the moment when all girls are healthy, Amelie is weaker than Justine, Kim, Maria, even Nadia...

jimbo mack
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:18 PM
She will not be a GS winner in future... I can guarntee that...
Sorry guys, but the fact is that in the moment when all girls are healthy, Amelie is weaker than Justine, Kim, Maria, even Nadia...

justine, kim and maria were all match fit in the semis at wimbledon and it was amelie who came out the winner

nadia comparison is ridicilous, she has not reached a slam final.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Her Wimbledon win was real. She beat JHH, Sharapova and Myskina. She also beat Ivanovic and Stosur. Not an easy road to a title.

Nicolás89
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM
when all girls are healthy, Amelie is weaker than Justine, Kim, Maria, even Nadia...
:scared:
i will change it for kuzzy, a healthy martina coulnt beat a healthy momo (tired though) but a healthy nadia couldnt beat a healthy martina and justine, she just can beat a rusty and tired momo (at YEC and doha).

a healthy momo won against a healthy justine and maria at wimby and a healthy kim at YEC so your stament is pointless

i agree with every one else saying that outside the AO and Wimby and the two tier II that she won she still the same chokomomo that we the haters love:wavey:

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:27 PM
In that Justine thread there are posts not taking other slam winners seriously as well ;)..
"...that Justine thread" was about Justine's chances at the slams.

But since you mention it, Amelie and Maria are the only serious challengers of the former GS winners.

The rest are just so questionable all the time that its difficult to take their chances seriously these days. Committment to tennis is the gauge.

blumaroo
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Amelie will always be a contender at Wimbledon because she attacks on grass. She doesn't rely on outrunning/outlasting people or waiting for her opponent to make the error. She serves bombs and attacks the net.
That is not the case on other surfaces, which is why she often appears incredibly passive and not in control of the match. She can really get dominated by a power player on a good day. You don't see that with Maria, Justine, Serena, Lindsay etc. Still, her ability to outlast her opponents will always get her deep in any slam. And with Lindsay gone, Clijsters not motivated, Williams Sisters injured/unfit there's only Maria and Justine that can stop her most of the time. Amelie is so incredibly fit. If there's any player who can benefit from mediocre play by their opponent it's Amelie.

sapir1434
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:41 PM
:scared:
i will change it for kuzzy, a healthy martina coulnt beat a healthy momo (tired though) but a healthy nadia couldnt beat a healthy martina and justine, she just can beat a rusty and tired momo (at YEC and doha).

a healthy momo won against a healthy justine and maria at wimby and a healthy kim at YEC so your stament is pointless

i agree with every one else saying that outside the AO and Wimby and the two tier II that she won she still the same chokomomo that we the haters love:wavey:

Sorry, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you called her chokomomo because of the slams, didn't you?
So I don't get the point of saying that outside AO and Wimbledon she is still a chocker. :rolleyes:

That's ridiculous. I mean, what does she need to do anymore to shut these comments up? :rolleyes: :confused:
She doesn't have to prove anything more to anybody. She is a slam champion, and she held the number 1 ranking for most of the year, so I think it is a bit unfair to say that.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:42 PM
How many titles has Amelie won, 23? and 2 majors?
How can people call her a choke.
Justine is the only top 30 player with more titles.

moby
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Amelie will always be a contender at Wimbledon because she attacks on grass. She doesn't rely on outrunning/outlasting people or waiting for her opponent to make the error. She serves bombs and attacks the net.
That is not the case on other surfaces, which is why she often appears incredibly passive and not in control of the match. She can really get dominated by a power player on a good day. You don't see that with Maria, Justine, Serena, Lindsay etc. Still, her ability to outlast her opponents will always get her deep in any slam. And with Lindsay gone, Clijsters not motivated, Williams Sisters injured/unfit there's only Maria and Justine that can stop her most of the time. Amelie is so incredibly fit. If there's any player who can benefit from mediocre play by their opponent it's Amelie.My sentiments exactly.

pooh14
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:10 PM
ya, i still find it weird for people underestimating Amelie's abilities.

Ok, some of you'll might argue the Australian Open is lucky because a few players retired...however, Amelie was going great guns over there...

And, Wimbledon just double confirm her abilities....her final against Justine was one of the best ladies match of the year.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:25 PM
The next major for Amelie is very big, because it would tie her with Lindsay and Jennifer, and pass Mary.
Then we would have to see where Amelie belongs among the greats of this era.

Slumpsova
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Sharapova has never made any clay tournament final. Justine has only won a major on clay(2x), going back to January 2004. 3 years ago.
Amelie is the only player holding 2 majors.
my point is Amelie is the kind of player who can lose to any players in any rounds. she can play great in one tournament and possibly lose 1R in others. Maria (i hate to say this) and Justine hardly produce such poor performance.

she needs more consistency.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:35 PM
She's won 23 titles and 2 of the last 4 majors. She doesn't need consistency, she needs to keep winning majors.

pav
Dec 16th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Some people (fans and an admin.) take the completely innocent admiring things i say about the Am very seriously! I take the bugger seriously when she plays a russian that used to be my fav. (before I was overwhelmed by admin. enforced Amelieadoration) very seriously as she always delivers the CB a father of a whupping(something the aforementioned CB will need to put right at their next encounter:fiery:

hablo
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Her Wimbledon win was real. She beat JHH, Sharapova and Myskina. She also beat Ivanovic and Stosur. Not an easy road to a title.
Ditto. Calling her Wimbledon win a fluke is asinine. She won it having the toughest draw as well. :rolleyes:

alias
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:03 PM
She won AO and Wimbledon yes, but there's something about her that still seems fragile and vunerable.

I hope she's able to defend her slam titles though.

TomTennis
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:09 PM
If Venus, Serena, Clijsters, Justine, Masha (and Lindsay :sad: ) are healthy, then she wont win another slam again.

If a lot of them are injured then yes she could win another slam

SAEKeithSerena
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM
i think it's funny, too. Wimbledon was the story of the year in tennis I think and people should really watch out for her next year...

Andy.
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:33 PM
The vulnerability is still very much there an can come at anytime. Too me she really has done so well this year but she isnt intimidation, she doesnt have that Aura it feels like she could be beaten if your having a good day and you dont get that with Masha and Justine. People dont change, sure she has gotten her nerves under control but she is still fragile.

Slumpsova
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Ditto. Calling her Wimbledon win a fluke is asinine. She won it having the toughest draw as well. :rolleyes:
hablo :wavey: :ras:

Hugo24
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:50 PM
She will show everyone next year she will win more GS . She is a great player she will do well next year.

PLP
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM

No! In the current active top 30...
Martina Hingis: 42 singles, 36 doubles
Kim Clijsters: 33 singles, 11 doubles
Justine: 29 singles, 2 doubles
Momo: 23 singles, 2 doubles

I agree though that Amelie shouldn't be counted out of the slams next year. She has a great shot at Wimbledon and in Australia IMO!

jazar
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM
she has every chance of doing as well or better next year. i think people don't take her seriously because the mental toughness is not always there and she had many instances in her pre-slam success time when she just choked and people have long memories about those kinda things

AlonsoFx
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:42 PM
the thing is just power players that hit brutally hard are the only type of players that seem to be the best for most of the people. there is no reason to bash amelie just because you don't like her style of play

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM
No! In the current active top 30...
Martina Hingis: 42 singles, 36 doubles
Kim Clijsters: 33 singles, 11 doubles
Justine: 29 singles, 2 doubles
Momo: 23 singles, 2 doubles

I agree though that Amelie shouldn't be counted out of the slams next year. She has a great shot at Wimbledon and in Australia IMO!I was wrong to put it that way, but to call her a choke with those numbers is crazy.
I wasn't even thinking about Hingis, because her best results are from a different era.
Kim only has one major, so Amelie moved ahead of her.

Nicolás89
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:23 AM
She will show everyone next year she will win more GS . She is a great player she will do well next year.

i agree that she is a great player (Hello i hate her!:wavey:) she will be a contender at wimbledon for sure (like every year) and in three or four tournaments more but thats it. not like maria and justine they are contenders in every tournament.

PLP
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:35 AM
I was wrong to put it that way, but to call her a choke with those numbers is crazy.
I wasn't even thinking about Hingis, because her best results are from a different era.
Kim only has one major, so Amelie moved ahead of her.

I agree that Momo is no Choke, and that she shouldn't be counted out, but I think Martina can still add to her titles, Ame has moved ahead of Kim though, I agree, for now! ;)

Ntour
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:37 AM
you can't take what what issaid on this board to be true
people actually think the williams sisters have a chance at a slam next year

amelie's biggest chance is at wimbledon, but hop justine FINALLY wins it instead

Ntour
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:38 AM
although the bagel thing is a bit of a problem

meyerpl
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:47 AM
You can be sure that every player on the WTA tour takes her seriously.
She even begins some sentences with, "But seriously....".

goldenlox
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I can see that Amelie has a lot of doubters. If she loses in Melbourne, I can see she's going to get bashed in GM.

PLP
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:32 AM
If Amelie breaks through and wins RG in the next few years, it would prove a lot of doubters wrong! I know it would be tough for her to do but she is fully capable...:)

LoveFifteen
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:46 AM

:spit:

goldenlox
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:49 AM
I meant in recent history, not the stone age. You know, the era after the little wooden rackets

IceHock
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Amelie will always be a contender for slams as long as she is healthy, personally with people counting her out puts so much less pressure on her to do well, I expect at least a semifinal showing in OZ because her groundstrokes will pop up on the rebound surface. People counted her out last yeat and look what she did, they counted her out after her so called fluke AO win and look what she did, yet you still have people saying that even the wimbledon win was a fluke. You will always have those people that take her down but truthfully they know she is a contender at the slams.

LoveFifteen
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:55 AM
I meant in recent history, not the stone age. You know, the era after the little wooden rackets

So, Amelie's titles from 1999-2002 count towards her total, but the titles Hingis won from 1999-2002 are relegated to the Stone Age? :rolleyes:

Barrie_Dude
Dec 17th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Momo is as talented as anyone on the tour!

goldenlox
Dec 17th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Hingis isn't quite the same now as when she was winning majors.
Besides Justine, no one has matched Amelie over the last several years except the older Americans, who all don't have high rankings.
I meant something like that.

vejh
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:06 AM
She needs consistency for me to treat her as a top top competitor ala Sharapova. Obviously the majors didn't do enough to cause some folks to take her seriously as a dominant player. She's too inconsistent especially for the year that she had.

Steffica Greles
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:12 AM
I too am 60-40 that she will not win another slam.

It's not because I don't think that she is capable. Rather, I just feel that she will not be as motivated next year. And furthermore, although I do certainly think that, in form, she is one of the major contenders for any title, she is not outstanding. I cannot place her above players like Sharapova, Henin, Clijsters (if she can be bothered), or even high above Kuznetsova -- players with more to prove than Amelie.

Hugo24
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Mauresmo is the underdog even with her 2006 year wich was amazing I think she will surprise a lot of people and win a few if not more Grand Slams next year me I hope she Finally wins the French Open she will do great next year and win in Antwerp, Rome ,Paris.......And so on.

hablo
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:47 AM
I can see that Amelie has a lot of doubters. If she loses in Melbourne, I can see she's going to get bashed in GM.

You won't have to wait till Melbourne. Trust me on that ...

selyoink
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:58 AM
You won't have to wait till Melbourne. Trust me on that ...

Mauresmo is a joke player. :p

Now to be serious I don't think Mauresmo will win another slam. Its not because I don't think she is a great player but it is hard to keep winning slams. I think she had her moments this year. She finally overcame her late round demons in the majors. She was able to stay relatively healthy as well. Would her winning a slam surprise? Not really but I don't think she wins another one.

Still a great player and will be seriously contending at a few of the slams.

hwanmig
Dec 17th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Mauresmo is a joke player. :p

Now to be serious I don't think Mauresmo will win another slam. Its not because I don't think she is a great player but it is hard to keep winning slams. I think she had her moments this year. She finally overcame her late round demons in the majors. She was able to stay relatively healthy as well. Would her winning a slam surprise? Not really but I don't think she wins another one.

Still a great player and will be seriously contending at a few of the slams.

And to think your also a fan of Anastasia. I hope you have not been under a rock and not heard off all the comments about her slam win.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 17th, 2006, 04:40 AM
So, Amelie's titles from 1999-2002 count towards her total, but the titles Hingis won from 1999-2002 are relegated to the Stone Age? :rolleyes:

Absolutely not.

That French Open finals against Steffi in 1999 I replay over, and over, and over, and over.....it is indeed a classic. One in which an all-time great sent a parting shot to her lesser-accomplished successor by cementing the demise of Martina Hingis in Grand Slam singles tennis.

Its otherwise known as "The Graf Curse" to Martina Hingis, Melanie Molitor and Hingis fans.

One that continues to this very day.:wavey:

illianna
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:24 PM
To say that the woman holding 2 slam titles at moment will FOR SURE not win another one is ridiculous!!! I'm not saying she will win more grand slams beyond any shadow of a doubt but...you can't just count her out!!!What does she have to do to change your mind?????

Flefir
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I really think that Mauresmo was really lucky at the Australian Open because her opponent had to retire in the final due to illness and in the Wimbledon final Justine didn't play her best tennis after crushing Amélie in the first set 6-2.

Lulu.
Dec 17th, 2006, 09:28 PM
The vulnerability is still very much there an can come at anytime. Too me she really has done so well this year but she isnt intimidation, she doesnt have that Aura it feels like she could be beaten if your having a good day and you dont get that with Masha and Justine. People dont change, sure she has gotten her nerves under control but she is still fragile.

Well said

Jenny.C.Fan
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I think Amelie has learnt how to peak for the big tournaments, and if that means sacrificing the results in the smaller tournaments then i think thats fair enough. Its a joke people don't take her seriously, she will win more grand slams.

goldenlox
Dec 18th, 2006, 12:32 AM
It's not easy to win slams, but I think Amelie is in the mix as much as anyone else.