PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Dokic racially abused by mob

raquel
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Another incident to add to the saga of Jelena....

I really hope she can make some sort of comeback and just play tennis consistently again.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,20938522-23216,00.html?from=public_rss

Dokic abused by mob

By Leo Schlink
December 17, 2006
JELENA Dokic has been racially abused by a group of Croatian men in a confrontation allegedly linked to inflammatory remarks made by her estranged father, Damir.

A Croatian newspaper yesterday reported former world No4 Dokic, her boyfriend Tin Bikic and her coach Borna Bikic were surrounded by an angry gang in Zagreb after a training session.

The group allegedly jostled the Australian Olympian and made a string of anti-Serbian comments before throwing fruit juice at her.

The anti-Serbian comments were reportedly made in reprisal for one of Damir Dokic's rants against Croatia and his recent unfounded claim his daughter had been kidnapped by the Bikic brothers, who are Croatian.
Jelena was said to have been uninjured in the incident but was reportedly traumatised.

The former Sydneysider now lives in Zagreb and has a home in Monte Carlo.
Born in Belgrade, Serbia, Dokic returned to Australian colours in January after representing Serbia and Montenegro for five years. The baseliner, wallowing at No.586 in the world, has moved to sever ties with her father but is now mired in what appears to be a deliberate campaign to wreck what is left of her career.

Dokic senior emigrated with his family to Sydney in 1994 as Jelena's stellar junior career peaked with a ranking of world No.1 and acclaim as the International Tennis Federation's world junior champion.

After being involved in several unsavoury incidents, including allegations of mentally and physically intimidating Jelena, Damir Dokic returned to Europe in 2001 after falling out with the Australian tennis community.

He now lives near Belgrade, where he grows fruit and makes wine. The burly former truck driver and boxer has not been seen at grand slam tennis tournaments for several seasons after being banned in 2000 by the Women's Tennis Association for six months.

At 23, Jelena has said she intends to resurrect her game and reappeared on the circuit last month in Germany.
Sunday Mail (SA)

raquel
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:34 PM
today is december 16, tomorrow is 17
It's from an Australian website. Could be already Sunday there in the time zone it was posted on the site.

tennismaster8820
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Jelena Dokic was not born in Belgrade, she was born in Osijek, Croatia!
This is such a stupid incident, I don't undertsand it!

GoDominique
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM
The group allegedly jostled the Australian Olympian and made a string of anti-Serbian comments before throwing fruit juice at her.
Was it orange juice?

Kart
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I don't usually read stories about Jelena but for some reason I have today.

She doesn't deserve to be treated like that :fiery:.

avocadoe
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM
one docik sadness after another...just yesterday on TTc I watched her beat Anna K in Fed Cup action, even there, at 17, you could see the talent, and the deep wounds.

Leopold Stotch
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:29 PM
She was born in Yugoslavia. A country called Croatia didn't exist in the 1970s.

It is clear to everyone that she is of Serbian descent.

First time (as far as I know) that an article alludes to the serious fact that Jelena finds herself surrounded by some very nasty people.

More balanced than usual for an Australian article but they couldn't resist a poke at Damir while (as usual) failing to clarify why he is branded as "controversial".

vutt
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:59 PM
So in aussie version one young croatian coach turned into mob!

vutt
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:01 PM

lol, Jelena isn't that old ;)

*JR*
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Was it orange juice?
Ah, the similarities... :o

Leopold Stotch
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:15 PM
lol, Jelena isn't that old ;)
70/80s, whatever.

Makes no difference.

njnetswill
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:27 PM
:weirdo: I don't see how the Dokic story can get any weirder. Maybe she will marry a goat.

dexx80
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:57 PM
i am o soory for jelena, if she would be only strong to leave Europe and father and boyfriend and go back to Australia.

Just Do It
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:08 PM
leave Croatia !!! All Serbian magazines are talking (writing) about this ! :sad:

tennismaster8820
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM

It is clear to everyone that she is of Serbian descent.

First time (as far as I know) that an article alludes to the serious fact that Jelena finds herself surrounded by some very nasty people.

More balanced than usual for an Australian article but they couldn't resist a poke at Damir while (as usual) failing to clarify why he is branded as "controversial".

Croatia as country existed long before Yugoslavia! I only stated what is truth, I don't understand how can somebody have false birthplace in WTA profile! So everybody can say what they want and they don't check it!:shrug:

Just Do It
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:57 PM
http://www.kurir-info.co.yu/dnevne-vesti/SP-01-16122006.shtml

Damir Dokic interview !!! Serbian version.

Derek.
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I'm so sick of reading some new Dokic development daily. :rolleyes:

The girl should start her own daytime soap opera.

pav
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Was it orange juice?

Haha too much of that on her and she might throw a patty

tennismaster8820
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:20 PM
http://www.kurir-info.co.yu/dnevne-vesti/SP-01-16122006.shtml

Damir Dokic interview !!! Serbian version.

What a sick man!:cuckoo:

Tennace
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Jelena, Please move to Australia where the people will probably be nice to you and there will be no psycho dads or dumbtard coaches to ruin your career!

Just Do It
Dec 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM
What a sick man!:cuckoo:

the only thing that i like about that interview is when he said : Jelena, come home, you will be top100 in 6 months with me ! ;)
But the other things ... :bolt:

jazar
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:03 PM
she just looks for trouble. she probably goes round wearing a t-shirt that says "I was famous once, I deserve everyone's attention".

Just Do It
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:18 PM
she just looks for trouble. she probably goes round wearing a t-shirt that says "I was famous once, I deserve everyone's attention".

oh my God, dont talk about Jelena because you know nothing about her !!! She is training in Croatian national tennis center at 7 in the morning just because at that time the tennis courts are closed !!! she is all the time in her flat and she is not giving interviews at all !!!

tennismaster8820
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM
the only thing that i like about that interview is when he said : Jelena, come home, you will be top100 in 6 months with me ! ;)
But the other things ... :bolt:

I didn't like anything!:tape:
Although that would be true, she isn't his puppet on strings anymore!
All people here are saying please Jelena move to Australia, or move to Serbia, but that's not the solution, she needs to move things in her head first!

Just Do It
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
yes and i think she should go to Australia ... and 2nd option is Serbia... Croatia ( Bikic brothers) will destry her...

I know i know she is destroyed already but i still belive in her come back ! She is training every day in Zagreb...that is promising!

azdaja
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I didn't like anything!:tape:
Although that would be true, she isn't his puppet on strings anymore!
All people here are saying please Jelena move to Australia, or move to Serbia, but that's not the solution, she needs to move things in her head first!
dunno, i have the impression that the guys who verbally abused her need to move things in their heads first. things like this shouldn't be happening anywhere.

if it is so difficult for "mixed" couples there they should move to neutral ground.

for me this just means i will definitely never go to croatia :o

Just Do It
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:39 PM
dunno, i have the impression that the guys who verbally abused her need to move things in their heads first. things like this shouldn't be happening anywhere.

if it is so difficult for "mixed" couples there they should move to neutral ground.

In Serbia that will not happen !
I went to Croatia last year and when i asked one guy in the store give me one 'hleb' he said: we dont have 'hleb' we have only 'kruh' !!! :weirdo:

How retarded that (is) was !!!!!!!!

azdaja
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:43 PM
i doubt that :tape:

tennismaster8820
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:49 PM

This was an isolated incident, these things don't happen, the exeption always confirms normal standard! I thought you weren't so narrow minded!:o

Привет
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:05 PM
COME BACK TO AUSTRALIA JELENA!!! She should just come back here, her career has been stalling ever since she has been moving around Europe to God knows where! Munich was a step forward, going back to Croatia or Serbia is just two steps back. I'm sure these places are great! I'm not trying to offend anyone Serbian or Croatian, in fact I want to visit the Dalmatian Coast sometime, but it's not working for Jelena staying there, it hasn't been for a long time. However if she comes back to Australia, and just trains with someone smart she might be able to ressurect her flagging career. Bikic brothers don't work. Serbia doesn't work. Croatia clearly doesn't work. Munich didn't work. So what does that leave her? Um I'm not sure Jelena, maybe the COUNTRY YOU ARE REPRESENTING!!! :mad: Please come back Jelena!

azdaja
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM
This was an isolated incident, these things don't happen, the exeption always confirms normal standard! I thought you weren't so narrow minded!:o
i'm not and i believe you (except that i don't think this is that isolated because i know some serbs and croats here and meh). but there is zero chance that something like this would happen to me in spain or finland, so why should i go to croatia then? :p if i go somewhere to relax i want to relax.

i have a friend in zagreb, so i would always be welcome there, but you know what i mean.

things like this are happening in other places as well, mind. it's not that i think croatia is particularly nasty in this regard. but some people are more likely to get abuse there.

DutchieGirl
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:08 PM

:bs:

MilanDokic
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Latest pics of Dokic in Zagreb:

http://www.jutarnji.hr/EPHResources/Images/2006/12/07/dokic1.jpg

http://www.jutarnji.hr/EPHResources/Images/2006/12/07/dokic2.jpg

http://www.jutarnji.hr/ephresources/images/2006/12/07/dokic.jpg

She looks so bad :sad:

LH2HBH
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:56 PM
There is still a lot of bad blood between Croats and Serbs, unfortunately. The wounds are still fresh - I am not surprised to hear this at all.

tennismaster8820
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I went to Croatia last year and when i asked one guy in the store give me one 'hleb' he said: we dont have 'hleb' we have only 'kruh' !!! :weirdo:

How retarded that (is) was !!!!!!!!

You realy don't know why he said that to you, or you're just pretending! If he knew you are from Serbia, he wouldn't have asked you that! It's because some Serbs who live here don't respect people and country they live in, so they are provoking Croats on purpose by speaking Serbian and by doing some other worse things! Like burning the flag and making offending graffiti!
Also it's good to mention that when there was Yugoslavia, it was much more confortable to be Serb then to be Croat in Croatia, because Serbs always got better work places, better jobs! It's true, my father was just one example! I'm not saying this to justify anything, only because you don't see it like that!
There are more and more Serbs who are coming in Croatia on holiday and they don't have any problems! Why? Because nobody has problems with them! They are treated like any other tourists!
:help:

Marcus Jordan
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:09 AM
There's some really nice grapefruit juices going around these days I hope for Jelena's sake it was grapefruit , I drink that all the time its awesome!

©@®eLess
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:01 AM
There are more and more Serbs who are coming in Croatia on holiday and they don't have any problems! Why? Because nobody has problems with them! They are treated like any other tourists!
:help:

Yeah burning cars from Belgrade in Dubrovnik is treating them like any other tourist...wow there must be burning car festival held on croatian seaside...but we just don't know about it. :help:

Destroying Serbian cars in Zagreb too.... That never happened in Belgrade...because people in Belgrade are over that...and are more open minded...but that just shows where Zagreb is at the momment...just like a provincial city anywhere...

Even in old Yugoslavia there was jelously from Zagreb...cause Belgrade was the only city in country that could equaly stand shoulder by shoulder with any European capital...and that keeps going on.... In Croatian media there is enormous hate toward Serbs...u have a complex from anything Serbian or from Belgrade...U need 2 get over that...and stop thinking that same things happening in "Your lovely" happen here too.....Get over that. War ended 11 years ago!

LoveFifteen
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:12 AM
:weirdo: I don't see how the Dokic story can get any weirder. Maybe she will marry a goat.

*death*

:haha:

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 17th, 2006, 02:33 AM
She needs to base herself in Australia, all this shit she gets involved in now would never happen there, and shed be motivated to focus on tennis and always have good people around her.

It's a real shame she doesnt see that, or if she does, its sad she doesnt take action.

I'm sorry to hear Jelena got "attacked," I'm just happy she's unharmed. God, her life is really messed up.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:04 AM
this is to stupid

vutt
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:12 AM
I wonder how safe is to be in Croatia for average serb? Is it so that croat can not recognise nationality on streets by simply looking at one? It does not feel that simple like in case of arab/western, black/white. They are both slavic nations. It's even same language I've heard. Or does croat reconize serb from the moment one opens his/her mounth?

Just Do It
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:36 AM
i doubt that :tape:

My good friend is Croat and he never survive something similar !

Just Do It
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I wonder how safe is to be in Croatia for average serb? Is it so that croat can not recognise nationality on streets by simply looking at one? It does not feel that simple like in case of arab/western, black/white. They are both slavic nations. It's even same language I've heard. Or does croat reconize serb from the moment one opens his/her mounth?

Serbian and Croatian languages are similar, but not the same ! Stress is different !

Ben.
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM
this is just getting out of hand for her :rolleyes: she needs some assistance & badly. she should just go back to australia (leave croatia) & get some proper coaching there cause the bikic brothers aren't doing her any good at the moment.

but she made the decision to stay in croatia & suffer the consequences & now she has to deal with it on her own. enough said.

©@®eLess
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Or does croat reconize serb from the moment one opens his/her mounth?

Yes...manner of speaking is different...accents are different...some words are different...dialects are different...

Joana
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Or does croat reconize serb from the moment one opens his/her mounth?

Pretty much, yes. It's (almost) the same language but there's a difference in accent above all and you can immediately tell the difference between someone from Belgrade and someone from Zagreb, for example.

Joana
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM
It's because some Serbs who live here don't respect people and country they live in, so they are provoking Croats on purpose by speaking Serbian and by doing some other worse things!

As far as I know national minorities have the right to use their own language in all supposedly democratic countries in the world. If some Croats don't like that, it's only their problem.
I hope Jelena will press charges against the moron. It would be interesting to follow what would happen to him.

tennismaster8820
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Yeah burning cars from Belgrade in Dubrovnik is treating them like any other tourist...wow there must be burning car festival held on croatian seaside...but we just don't know about it. :help:

Destroying Serbian cars in Zagreb too.... That never happened in Belgrade...because people in Belgrade are over that...and are more open minded...but that just shows where Zagreb is at the momment...just like a provincial city anywhere...

Even in old Yugoslavia there was jelously from Zagreb...cause Belgrade was the only city in country that could equaly stand shoulder by shoulder with any European capital...and that keeps going on.... In Croatian media there is enormous hate toward Serbs...u have a complex from anything Serbian or from Belgrade...U need 2 get over that...and stop thinking that same things happening in "Your lovely" happen here too.....Get over that. War ended 11 years ago!

This war should have never happened! Don't tell me to get over it, because I did, but believe me some Serbs are still living in that time and are not satisfied with this outcome! My best friend is a Serb, Slaviša, he is my first neighbour and he and his family, like many others didn't have any problems here! I know it's been very hard for them during war but they were never in any danger like you are suggesting!
Your post is full of hate and with that attitude you certanly wouldn't be welcomed to Croatia! :shrug:

tennismaster8820
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:24 PM
As far as I know national minorities have the right to use their own language in all supposedly democratic countries in the world. If some Croats don't like that, it's only their problem.
I hope Jelena will press charges against the moron. It would be interesting to follow what would happen to him.

Yes they have that right, I never said that it's normal situation! I just explained why someone could be offended by it!

Just Do It
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Guys, we should talk about Jelena here !!! :wavey:

Martian Stacey
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Its sad that she is treated that way for things that her father has said

Ben.
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:47 AM

yeah it is. hope jelena plays soon.

vutt
Dec 18th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I'm not sure if "mob" remembers that, but she sent public support letter back in 2002 for ultra nationalists party! I know Damir asked her to do so, but still her signature was under that paper.
And she defended later her deccission in local serbian paper even after media condemned her actions.

Next time I think she will think more before makeing similar statements.

*JR*
Dec 18th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Hopefully more than did to Marcinko Lucic there for battering his wife and daughter. (Of course he's one of those big Ustashe types). :scared: