PDA

View Full Version : Article: Venus' Injury Issues Create Cause For Concern

tennisIlove09
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Venus' Injury Issues Create Cause For Concern
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/VenusMiami05fistSMullane.jpg
Photo By Susan Mullane By Alberto Amalfi
12/14/2006

The ever-present adhesive tape that protects Venus Williams' troublesome wrists serves as a reminder of how vulnerable the former World No. 1 can be to injury. Williams once dispensed punishment on court with the routine nature of a nurse handing out vitamin C pills, but spent much of this season seemingly playing in pain.

The two-time U.S. Open champion, who withdrew from the 2006 Flushing Meadows major citing "continuation of pain in her left wrist", was limited to just 19 matches this year due to injury and her ongoing injury issues have caused concern among some, including U.S. Fed Cup captain Zina Garrison.
The 26-year-old Williams should be entering the prime of her career, but has struggled simply to stay healthy and sustain a regular schedule. The 2005 Wimbledon winner lost to Jelena Jankovic in the third round of the grass-court Grand Slam in July then played just two matches the rest of the season. The five-time Grand Slam champion has played 50 or more matches in a season just once in the past four years.
The 46th-ranked Williams has been plagued by the lingering wrist injury, tendonitis in her knee and an abdominal injury in recent years. Williams' physical style of play and her tendency to sometimes launch herself into off-balance shots has raised health concerns in Garrison.
"I've actually been concerned about her health for some time now," Garrison said in a conference call with the media on Wednesday. "Venus is long, lanky. She looks very strong, athletic. Sometimes it can kind of wear on your body the way her body moves kind of all over the place sometimes."
Suggesting that sporadic competition can exacerbate lingering injuries or contribute to new ones, Garrison, who has known the Williams Sisters for several years, served as a coach on the 2000 U.S. Olympic team when Venus swept gold medals in both singles and doubles to join Helen Wills Moody (1924) as only the second women to strike gold in both singles and doubles in the Olympics. Williams missed the first four months of that 2000 season with tendonitis in both wrists, but bounced back to capture successive major titles at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open that year.
Garrison believes one way Williams can acclimate her body to the rigors of the WTA Tour is to play a more consistent schedule once she has fully regained her health, though traditionally neither Venus nor Serena have adhered to an extensive annual tournament schedule. "I think it's a situation where I'm a firm believer I think you have to play more to kind of keep your body going," Garrison said. "Sometimes when you have long breaks, you come back, you're playing as hard as you did when you left off, I think it brings on more possibilities to be injured." Williams is scheduled to start the 2007 season playing the Hopman Cup mixed team exhibition event with fellow Floridian Mardy Fish in Perth, Australia.

So Disrespectful
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Garrison cries out for publicity

supergrunt
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:04 AM
How are they ever going to play a good schedule if they can't be injury-free? :hysteric: What a viscious circle. :(

VeeReeDavJCap81
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:49 AM
The title is kind of misleading

Paneru
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:06 AM
The title is kind of misleading

Indeed.

It's simply Zina, as others have, expressing concern
for Venus' health and saying pretty much what other
former players such as Shriver, Fernandez, ect...have
echoed about both V&S.

It has nothing to do with how Venus' wrist actually is
and is quite frankly speculation more than anything based
upon the amount of wrist tape seen on Venus during the WS
tour. Plus the fact that she hasn't hit a two handed backhand
in public since the 1st set of her 2nd rd match in Luxembourg.
Yet, no one has seemed to ask or gotten word from Venus as
to why she was only slicing, during the WS Tour(still hurt?
simply resting?), but are nonetheless, speculating.

So, yes, the thread title is misleading because it isn't like
Zina or anyone else, or Venus even herself and given any
new info on her wrist, other than saying it "okay" in an article
a few weeks ago.

Viktymise
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I thought it was that Vee's wrist had gotten worse and she was gonna be a doubt for the start of 07 :scared: luckily its not

pooh14
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:19 AM
How are they ever going to play a good schedule if they can't be injury-free? :hysteric: What a viscious circle. :(

thats what i am wondering too...
how can they play a full schedule when they cant even play half the schedule...

TomTennis
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM
It also says that Mardy Fish will be playing with Venus, not Dent, at the Hopman Cup.

Craigy
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:09 PM
It also says that Mardy Fish will be playing with Venus, not Dent, at the Hopman Cup.

Yeah, Taylor had to pull out. He's injured again...

Chance
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I was worried too. So basically no one really knows how fit Venus is.... until probably the Hopman CUP. Interesting to see Mardy Fish play instead of Dent..

meyerpl
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Don't the Williams sisters wink every time they talk about being injured?

Steffica Greles
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I think the most important point Garrison alludes to, almost in passing, is that the Williamses played UNSUSTAINABLE tennis.

The problem is not how little or often they play. In 2005, Venus cited fatigue for missing the European clay court season, when she was losing relatively early in most tournaments and playing no more often than most of the top women. And when she hasn't been playing, the sudden bursts of activity cause injuries. What is she to do?

The reality is the Williamses both played to a level which their bodies could not sustain, and until they both accept they will never again be able to play in that style for more than a few tournaments a year, they will continue to be ranked outside of the top 20.

Justine Fan
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Don't the Williams sisters wink every time they talk about being injured?

;) ;) ;) :tape: :tape:

Or they are :baby: Good one meyerpl! :lol:

:secret: Thought I'd do the same as VeeReeFan did in a Justine thread about Justine's FedCup Injury :ras:

meyerpl
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:34 PM
It's just a joke, don't read too much into it. Next, it may be your favorite or my favorite I'm wisecracking about.

DutchieGirl
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:53 PM

Because he is. ;)

vogus
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:55 PM
the author of this article seems to have a lot of trouble distinguishing the facts from his own opinions.

vogus
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I think the most important point Garrison alludes to, almost in passing, is that the Williamses played UNSUSTAINABLE tennis.

The problem is not how little or often they play. In 2005, Venus cited fatigue for missing the European clay court season, when she was losing relatively early in most tournaments and playing no more often than most of the top women. And when she hasn't been playing, the sudden bursts of activity cause injuries. What is she to do?

The reality is the Williamses both played to a level which their bodies could not sustain, and until they both accept they will never again be able to play in that style for more than a few tournaments a year, they will continue to be ranked outside of the top 20.

Maybe so, but their minds could not sustain that level either. I think that's a really important point that people often miss. There are lots of folks who are yelling that if the Williams hadn't got injured they would still be dominating today. I don't think so. They were playing tennis at a level that was unsustainable for them mentally as well as physically.

venus_rulez
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Maybe so, but their minds could not sustain that level either. I think that's a really important point that people often miss. There are lots of folks who are yelling that if the Williams hadn't got injured they would still be dominating today. I don't think so. They were playing tennis at a level that was unsustainable for them mentally as well as physically.

Interesting. But be more specific what do you mean?

meyerpl
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Yeah it's................Cracker Jack material!

Steffica Greles
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:24 AM

Well yes, but I would argue that that was a problem almost from the get go with the Williamses. When did either of them ever play a full season? How often have they competed at the Masters since 1998?

The way I would phrase it is their bodies couldn't sustain the level at which they were playing, and their minds wouldn't.

vogus
Dec 17th, 2006, 02:13 AM

The mental committment that being a champion level tennis player requires is enormous. Your whole life has to focus around all the details the job demands. If you get mentally tired of that committment day after day, year in, year out, you won't stay at the top level. After a couple of years at the top the Williams just didn't have it mentally any more to maintain their level. You can argue that this was their choice; but i'm just saying that mentally, they decreased their level of committment and effort, and that showed in their results.

Sinnet
Dec 17th, 2006, 04:57 AM
The mental committment that being a champion level tennis player requires is enormous. Your whole life has to focus around all the details the job demands. If you get mentally tired of that committment day after day, year in, year out, you won't stay at the top level. After a couple of years at the top the Williams just didn't have it mentally any more to maintain their level. You can argue that this was their choice; but i'm just saying that mentally, they decreased their level of committment and effort, and that showed in their results.

If we're arguing about mentality based on commitment, then who's to say, had they not become injured in 2003 following Wimbledon, their mentality level wouldn't have been given a chance to drop? It was the injury that impaired them both physically AND mentally, because they were given the chance to stop thinking about tennis. So I think the injuries play a part in both, unfortunately.

Jessie181
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I think that Venus might have had that Wrist surgery she was thinking about having earlier in the fall. I mean, why would her wrist be taped in all sorts of ways lately (during the WS Tour), and i believe that she's not saying anything about it. I don't think she would be using the one-handed backhand slice if she hadn't had it. Unless, of course, she wants to get the one-handed backhand slice better so that she can do better at Wimby and at other tourneys, and put less pressure on her double-hander; however, i doubt this.

A FAN OF SERENA!
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I hope Venus can do well at the Hopman Cup. At least she's guranteed of three matches at least, so can get some good practice.