PDA

View Full Version : Should Justine play a grass court warm up next year?

martirogi
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:05 AM
In 2005, Justine won the French Open and didn't play a grass court warm up. She lost in the first round of Wimbledon and didn't seem to have adjusted to the grass.

In 2006, Justine won the French Open and won the grass court warm up in Eastbourne. She made the finals of Wimbledon, but seemed tired in that match. Theoretically, it was from playing tennis for 5/6 weeks.

If you were making Justine's schedule for 2007, would you commit to Eastbourne?

If you think she needs a grass court warm up:
Do you think it would be better for her to play the week after Roland Garros? Would you advise her to play the smaller tournament that week?

Wannabeknowitall
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I don't think she needs to play Eastbourne.
She needs to get her first serve percentage up and work on her volleys to have herself at her best.

I think it's a good idea if she plays doubles in Birmingham.

Justine played a couple of sets of doubles at FED CUP and her approach shot for her forehand has been amazingly fluid since she's come back from injury.

spencercarlos
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:29 AM
I don't think she should.
She needs to get her first serve percentage up and work on her volleys to have herself at her best.

I think it's a good idea if she plays doubles in Birmingham.

Justine played a couple of sets of doubles at FED CUP and her approach shot for her forehand has been amazingly fluid since she's come back from injury.
Her best results at Wimbledon have come after having good showings on grass in the prior week.

Wannabeknowitall
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Her best results at Wimbledon have come after having good showings on grass in the prior week.

Well it's time for a different idea.
She definately needs to play on grass before Wimbledon.
She needs to conserve herself as well.

I think this is the best way to do so while dealing with the little kinks still left in her game.

Ben.
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:06 AM
that year when she won the FO in 2005 not playin any grass court warm-up events before wimby & then losing in the 1R there was due to playin so many clay court matches beforehand incl. the FO. she played 24 clay court matches & won them all as we all know.

this year (2006) she won the FO, played Eastbourne (a grass court warm-up event before wimby), won it & then finished runner-up at wimby due to playin less clay court matches beforehand incl. FO. compared to 2005 where she played 24 matches on clay, this time she only played 16 matches on the dirt.

so maybe if she skips one clay event on the road to FO, then maybe she can play Eastbourne or if she wants to play the usual clay schedule then maybe she should play some grass court doubles matches at eastbourne or birmingham.

but then again some players have never played a grass court warm-up event before wimby & still end up making a great result like the quarters or better there.

spencercarlos
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Well it's time for a different idea.
She definately needs to play on grass before Wimbledon.
She needs to conserve herself as well.

I think this is the best way to do so while dealing with the little kinks still left in her game.
I think fitness was not the reason why she lost against Amelie at Wimbledon, i think it was more of her game plan, or disordered game plan that made her lose.
Amelie chiped returns in play while Justine tried and missed while trying to hit them, and did not seem to know if to stay back of to follow in, while Amelie went in much more organized, while Justine looked more in doubt there.

Wannabeknowitall
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:37 AM
I think fitness was not the reason why she lost against Amelie at Wimbledon, i think it was more of her game plan, or disordered game plan that made her lose.
Amelie chiped returns in play while Justine tried and missed while trying to hit them, and did not seem to know if to stay back of to follow in, while Amelie went in much more organized, while Justine looked more in doubt there.

Which is why it's important she gets some feel on the grass in doubles so she knows when exactly is the right time to come in, when exactly is the right time to go for a return winner, why a doubles serve can be beneficial on grass, and why it's important to have a high first serve percentage on grass.

Apoleb
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Her energy level clearly seemed low in the 2nd and 3rd sets, and she started hitting a lot of errors (especially in the net) out of her ground strokes. Her first serve precentage also plummetted in that match. Her fitness had definitely something to do with her loss. She was showing signs of deterioration all along the 2nd week, and was pretty much flawless in the first week.

moby
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:25 AM
No. If she really wants to play a warm-up, I suggest Birmingham, but it's not necessary.

selyoink
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:38 AM
If she wins the French Open then it might not be the best idea to play a grass tune-up. But if she loses in the semis or earlier then she should probably play one of the tune-up events.

RJWCapriati
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:46 AM
She's had a lot of experience.....I don't think she will need a warm up tournament.

jimbo mack
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:22 AM
it depends on how well she does at the french, if she wins the french then i think she should rest before wimbledon

if she loses before the quarter-finals at the french (unlikely) or doesn't play the french (injury/illness) then she should play eastbourne for match practice

Dexter
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM
No. If she really wants to play a warm-up, I suggest Birmingham, but it's not necessary.I thought about Birmingham too... but that would mean playing 3 weeks in a row, so I'd rather say merci beaucoup and play only Wimbledon ;)

.Andrew.
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I think maybe she should play Rosmalen instead of Eastbourne. She has played there before making the finals losing to Clijsters and it's a weaker field then Eastbourne... If not, I can see her defending her title next year in Eastbourne ;)

Justine Fan
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:12 PM

OMG!!!!!!! :haha: :rolleyes:

jazar
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:27 PM
i think aclimatising to the grass courts isnt a bad idea, but i don't necessarily think a warm up tournament is a good idea. maybe she should play one of the exhibition tournaments they have before wimbledon, that she was gets grass court match practice but won't have to play a whole tournament

1star
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:38 PM
As long as she doesnt win the titles in the warm up tournaments, she will probably be able to win the GMs. lol

She doesnt have to consume too much energy before GMs for sure. Anyway it depends on the fact if she stays in good shape mentally and physically.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Whatever her and Coach Carlos decide I'm happy with. They are this generations best player-coach duo and I trust their judgement.

willrock
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Yes!!!!
to make her loosing wimbly again :lol:

thrust
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Only if she loses early at the FO. Doubles sounds like a good idea, as she could work on her serving and volleys without expending too much effort.

yicheng23
Dec 17th, 2006, 05:58 PM
depends really....as long as her claycourt campaign is shorter...but if she wins french, then mayb a smaller event than eastbourne would b great

Mightymirza
Dec 17th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Well I dunno its kinda like double edged sword!! She needs to get used to the fast surface but after long Clay season, she generally doesnt much left in her tanks and playing a lot only makes it worse!! Like it happened last year!! Back to back too many matches in short time is very punishing on her body!! Dunno whats solution for this problem!!