PDA

View Full Version : Jie Zheng revealed how she tricked Mirza in Asian Games

cherseles
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Jie Zheng is a very cunning girl. She spilled out how she tricked Sania in Asian Games in a Chinese news coference. "The sunshine in Doha was dazzling bright and I tried to capitalize on it. A couple of times, when I tossed the ball I pretended that I was affected by the sunshine and I tossed again and slowed down the pace. I think this really worked and made her very impatiant and impetuous."
She also claim the injury break was a part of her schemes.
The full aritcl in Chinese is below,
(转摘)郑洁是个很有心眼的姑娘,正如网球中心主任孙晋芳说的:“其实她们俩的实力都差不多,比的就是心态 。”耍心眼儿,印度库娃显然输给了我们四川妹子。

阳光刺眼正好抛球耍你

“这里的太阳很晃眼,对发球和接高球都有很大影响。”正午的多哈,太阳毒辣得 很,而且亮晃晃让观战的人们大多戴着墨镜或手搭凉棚,而比赛中的选手也受太阳光线影响很大。相对郑洁而言, 米尔扎似乎对这样的阳光习惯得多,“感觉她不是很怕这里的阳光。”尽管如此,郑洁却巧用规则扰乱对方的心态 ,特别是第三盘,她在发球局时,总喜欢将球高高抛起却不发出,外人都以为这是郑洁受阳光侵害看不清球,但赛 后郑洁却小声地透露,“其实我是故意的,当时她心态紧张,我故意做出要发球的样子,让她产生急 躁的情绪。”

急于追分?挑起你的火来

印度库娃虽然今年战绩不佳,但这次亚运会却表现出众,表现出旺盛的斗志和对胜利的渴望,尤其当昨天淘汰 李娜后,米尔扎更想在众多粉丝面前好好表现一番。郑洁说,在第二盘米尔扎大比分领先时,“当时她眼睛都在冒 火,她太想赢得这一盘从而扳平比分了。”发现了对手急于求成的秘密,郑洁施展起战术“疗伤”的招数,虽然当 时并未马上奏效,但却让米尔扎高昂的斗志有所松懈。果然,当决胜盘郑洁突然发力,开盘就破发后,米尔扎被打 懵了,这也直接导致她在一次想用刁钻回球拿到破发点,却反而击球出界后,怒摔球拍。“当看到她摔球拍时,我 知道自己赢定了。”郑洁对自己的计谋显然非常满意。

mirzalover
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:07 AM
that is gamesmonship but it was smart on her part

backhanddtl4
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:11 AM
that's not really gamesmenship

Tripp
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:14 AM
that's not really gamesmenship

Why not? It's just tactics. Tennis is not only about hitting the ball and running around. Sometimes this kind of tricks can help you make a difference and win the match.

Junex
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:18 AM
gamesmanship it is but its part of the game and is not bad at all!

Jie still proud of your double gold performance in Doha!!!!

Junex
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:19 AM
and everyone thought your injured and in a slump... :lol:

njnetswill
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:14 AM
It's no different than Pierce's way of playing or Sharapova's screaming. :p

wubenzhimu
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:48 AM
我华丽地 Piao......

jisung
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:51 AM
我华丽地 Piao......
:lol:

1star
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Thanks for translating the news article ;)

I like Zheng for her desire and fighting spirit. She is so small and got to adopt some tactics to generate power and distract the opponets attention, which is part of tennis, about playing smart. I dont like her mannars and grunts sometimes, esp. the overuse of fist pumping though.
:wavey:

Stamp Paid
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I didnt know we had so many Chinese posters. :cool:

Ben.
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:47 AM
i don't have a prob with what she did there zheng. actually a great tactic if u ask me :worship:

pengluv
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:10 AM
so im guessing shes gona b doin the hand raising stuff and pretending to be injured tactic more often too

Modiac.
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Playing smart can save more energy,especially when you're injured.
So I' happy to see Jie plays tennis with wisdom. :)
I think that's partly why she can entered top 30 with such a small and little body.

moby
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Well, not cunning enough. She should have kept information like this to herself. :tape:

It's still gamesmanship because of the intent, but I doubt it made a difference to the outcome of the match anyway.

drake3781
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Well, not cunning enough. She should have kept information like this to herself. :tape:

It's still gamesmanship because of the intent, but I doubt it made a difference to the outcome of the match anyway.

:lol: I agree.

But I think the article seems to make much more out of it than it really was. Something about putting it in writing, then that being translated into a thread title... just blows it up a lot more than what was probably originally a simple, funny sentence somewhere in the middle of an interview.

RJWCapriati
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:49 AM
a clever girl

Jeff
Dec 16th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Zheng...what a cute little player :p

Josh.
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:08 AM
:lol: smart girl..
shouldnt have said anything tho >>tisk tisk

Slumpsova
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Sania will never forgive this :fiery:

Apoorv
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:47 AM
so i guess that injury break she took at 1-4 down in second set was to take rest only. jie played nice in third set but she was helped by mirza's errors. sania probably made so many errors in third set to finish the points fast since she was very tired. sania played good tennis in all the matches except for in singles and mixed doubles finals and she lookes sooooo tired esp in md final.

pooh14
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:10 AM
this is definitely gamesmanship.
i wonder if Maria S had said that, the replies would have been different.

Paul.
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:26 AM
i dont understand :lol:

so she tossed the ball and then caught it and then tossed the ball and did a slower serve. surely just doing a slower serve would have done the same trick :confused:

its probably me just being stupid though :lol:

EDIT: oh i get it now. she was just trying to make sania impatent. well, i guess its good to play to your opponents weaknesses especially since zhengs serve is pretty slow. but i do agree with the poster above - if it had been sharapova i think some people would have reacted a little differently ;)

kittyking
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Ive done this sometimes :lol: I also kept on asking the ref what the temperature was (if the court reaches 35 celcius we stop playing til it cools down - it barely ever reaches 30 in christchurch). It always seemed to get on my opponents nerves. Its getting them psyched out to a certain degree :lol:

1star
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM
i dont understand :lol:

so she tossed the ball and then caught it and then tossed the ball and did a slower serve. surely just doing a slower serve would have done the same trick :confused:

its probably me just being stupid though :lol:That is only part of the story. The article implies Zheng is taking advantage of the strong sunshine to dazzle Mirza:lol:even though Mirza may not be much affected by the sunshine.:cool:

jazzfuzion
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:32 PM
err theres nothing really cunning abt that? haha, its really not that scheming really. i mean who hasn't done it?

:inlove:
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I don't know why, but I am just rolling on the bloody floor with laughter :spit: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
Jie :tape: :haha: I officially love her!

Mightymirza
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Fake Injury break :tape: tossing ball 2 3 times deliberately??Whats there to be proud of??But on positive side, shes atleast admitting her tactics publicly..Unlike Pierce :tape:

MistyGrey
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:35 PM
People are still upset at how Mary swept the floor with Dementieva in the last 2 sets of the 05 USO semi. :lol::lol:

Mightymirza
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:46 PM
People are still upset at how Mary swept the floor with Dementieva in the last 2 sets of the 05 USO semi. :lol::lol:

Only to get her own ass whooped in the Final :p :lol: Reverse Karma!!!:wavey:

LH2HBH
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Hmmm... I would say it's a little bit of gamesmanship. If you have to catch your service toss it should be because you need to abort your serve, not to throw off the other player.

MistyGrey
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:52 PM
But she still wiped the floor with Elena :lol::lol:

dutchsf
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:07 PM
That's pretty pathetic

rrfnpump
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Just imagine if Sharapova had done and said this :help:
wtaworld would have gone crazy about that!!

its pure gamesmanship, there is nothing smart about it, there is nothing to be proud of.
and what goes on in your head if you tell that to a newspaper :help:

Jie :smash:

Mightymirza
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:13 PM
But she still wiped the floor with Elena :lol::lol:

yeah!! Thats sad but true..Gamesmanship or whatever but it worked well..:lol: full credit for Mary for faking injuries :yeah:

disco_rage
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Go Jie! Lol!
Come on everyone does this! If a player plays quick you slow them down. Duh!!!!!!

Mightymirza
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Go Jie! Lol!
Come on everyone does this! If a player plays quick you slow them down. Duh!!!!!!

Yeah and if the opponent is winning then you take an injury break to break their rhythm..:rolleyes: Its soo common everyone does that all the time!!!!:o :confused:

saniamania
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I don't think that mattered a bit. Everybody does this. Hingis took a break at the end of set 2 when she lost to Mirza in Seoul, and still lost.
It was simply that Jie was a better player that day. Sania lost because she was tired, and made too many unforced errors.
She has not played in many finals, and can get overawed to the situation. That maybe a reason because she did badly in both the singles and MD finals.

drake3781
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Yeah and if the opponent is winning then you take an injury break to break their rhythm..:rolleyes: Its soo common everyone does that all the time!!!!:o :confused:

What ? Where did you come up with this? :confused: :rolleyes:

iPatty
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:57 AM
What ? Where did you come up with this? :confused: :rolleyes:

He/she was being facetious, I think.

Jie, you idiot, you don't tell people these things.

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 17th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Just imagine if Sharapova had done and said this :help:
wtaworld would have gone crazy about that!!

Exactly.

up!
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:20 AM
bitch

Mightymirza
Dec 17th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Jie Zheng is a very cunning girl. She spilled out how she tricked Sania in Asian Games in a Chinese news coference. "The sunshine in Doha was dazzling bright and I tried to capitalize on it. A couple of times, when I tossed the ball I pretended that I was affected by the sunshine and I tossed again and slowed down the pace. I think this really worked and made her very impatiant and impetuous."
She also claim the injury break was a part of her schemes.
The full aritcl in Chinese is below,
(转摘)郑洁是个很有心眼的姑娘,正如网球中心主任孙晋芳说的:其实她们俩的实力都差不多,比的就是心态 。耍心眼儿,印度库娃显然输给了我们四川妹子。

阳光刺眼正好抛球耍你

这里的太阳很晃眼,对发球和接高球都有很大影响。正午的多哈,太阳毒辣得 很,而且亮晃晃让观战的人们大多戴着墨镜或手搭凉棚,而比赛中的选手也受太阳光线影响很大。相对郑洁而言, 米尔扎似乎对这样的阳光习惯得多,感觉她不是很怕这里的阳光。尽管如此,郑洁却巧用规则扰乱对方的心态 ,特别是第三盘,她在发球局时,总喜欢将球高高抛起却不发出,外人都以为这是郑洁受阳光侵害看不清球,但赛 后郑洁却小声地透露,其实我是故意的,当时她心态紧张,我故意做出要发球的样子,让她产生急 躁的情绪。

急于追分?挑起你的火来

印度库娃虽然今年战绩不佳,但这次亚运会却表现出众,表现出旺盛的斗志和对胜利的渴望,尤其当昨天淘汰 李娜后,米尔扎更想在众多粉丝面前好好表现一番。郑洁说,在第二盘米尔扎大比分领先时,当时她眼睛都在冒 火,她太想赢得这一盘从而扳平比分了。发现了对手急于求成的秘密,郑洁施展起战术疗伤的招数,虽然当 时并未马上奏效,但却让米尔扎高昂的斗志有所松懈。果然,当决胜盘郑洁突然发力,开盘就破发后,米尔扎被打 懵了,这也直接导致她在一次想用刁钻回球拿到破发点,却反而击球出界后,怒摔球拍。当看到她摔球拍时,我 知道自己赢定了。郑洁对自己的计谋显然非常满意。

Drake :wavey:

Well thats where its written ..:rolleyes: Maybe you should read the full posts before!!:wavey:

Apoorv
Dec 17th, 2006, 06:27 PM
oh i did not notice it before. this makes the things all the more worse. taking false injury breaks is a serious gamesmanship much more than tossing the balls twice.

Mightymirza
Dec 17th, 2006, 06:32 PM
oh i did not notice it before. this makes the things all the more worse. taking false injury breaks is a serious gamesmanship much more than tossing the balls twice.

Seriously!!

Paul.
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:14 PM
if the injury break was part of her scheme then i am EXTREMELY disappointed in her

i hate it when one of your favourite players does something like this :sad:

powerbackhand
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:35 PM
jie is a bitch and shes crap at tennis sania is so much better

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 17th, 2006, 08:58 PM
people aren't that mad at jie cuz she's not very successful yet and also because she did it to another player who isn't very successful yet.

thats why a lot of people get so angry at justine for her stupid gamesmanship. i never do gamesmanship what a waste lol but im glad i dont get affected when people do it to me -- only when they call balls out that are in (vice versa)

Europe rocks
Dec 17th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Tactical thinking there from Jie. Everyone does something like this at least once in their career, so hopefully this will be the only time she does something like this. If not, then she may lose a few fans in the future

Pengwin
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I don't think that's very good at all :o

I prefer 'clean' players rather than 'evil' players like Hingis, Pierce etc.

Natash.
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Ahaha, that's so funny.

Jie, that little trickster!

WorldWar24
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:57 PM
HOW IN THE WORLD IS WHAT SHE DID ACCEPTABLE? And she has the nerve to come back and gloat about it. And what is even more unacceptable is that 95% of the replies state she is very clever or a great tactician! :fiery: FOR FUCK'S SAKE if someone who got anyone near the top15 had said that she'd deserve capital punishment, but here and now it's cute.

HYPOCRITES

Goai
Dec 18th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Quite disappointing, and silly of her to brag about it. But, hey, she won the medal for China at any cost, so China should be happy. A win's a win, I guess. Players do stuff like this all the time, and how much it affected the match is disputable.

WIMBLY2004
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:29 AM
"Zheng learned that from Pova"
and there you go...;)

Desperate to make it into a Maria bashing thread?:lol:

croat123
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:53 AM
no offense guys, and i'm neither a serena nor a sharapova fan, but...

had one of those two just admitted that, all hell would break loose on this board :o

morningglory
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:19 AM
2x standards on this board, anyone? :lol:

njnetswill
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:23 AM
I highly doubt she was "gloating" about it. You can't tell since it is a translation from a language that does not translate well into English.

But God, Jie, what a stupid thing to talk about to the media. :smash:

Pasta-Na
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:28 AM
she had to do it because of mirza's fans :o

ZeroSOFInfinity
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:54 AM
:lol:

Ji Sung... who's the lady / woman in your avatar? She's darn cute and pretty!!! :hearts:

Martian Stacey
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:08 AM
no offense guys, and i'm neither a serena nor a sharapova fan, but...

had one of those two just admitted that, all hell would break loose on this board :o
Very true :lol:

I don't think she should have said that, although I'm sure she's not the only player to use such tactics.

It may come back to bite her, if other players read this maybe they'll know better next time they have to play her

WIMBLY2004
Dec 18th, 2006, 05:16 AM
2x standards on this board, anyone? :lol:

Hardly news.

WIMBLY2004
Dec 18th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Not this time, just to show how its easy;)

It's always easy as long as there are people like you taking every opportunity to provoke hatred.

Kirt12255
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:11 AM
:rolleyes: This kind of thing has been going on for years. Graf's opponents continually tried to slow her down.

I remember Novotna playing Sanchez-Vicario at the AO, Sanchez would go to serve and Novotna would turn her back to her and walk a circle.

Panova used a time out against Molik at the AO in an extended 3rd set before Molik had to serve, Molik lost concentration and was broken and lost the match.

It's hardly new, having said that, I don't like it. Then again I can't watch Zheng at all. Her constant fist pumps are the most annoying thing EVER!!
I'll never have to watch her try and employ other things appart from talent and fitness to win a tennis match again.;)

New
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Firstly, I think Mirza was tired from playing all event, thus she was rather impatient to get the match over and done with.

Secondly, Mirza should have been more patient and thus this would not have affected her. (I know of people I play with who do take their time and I try not to let that affect me.)

Thirdly, players do win other players who take injury time out (fake or real), so it was Mirza's mentality to fail to close it out.

Lastly, having said all that Zheng was not right to do all the tactics involved. Yes, it seems smart, but I think it affects the quality of how this gold was gotten.

But then again, I wasn't in both of their shoes... who would have know what I myself would have done?