PDA

View Full Version : So, how realistic is it to think.......

Crazy_Fool
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:00 AM
........that Justine will win the grand slam next year.

RG is a given, save injuries of course. AO I would say she would be the fav., best on that surface as well imo. USO is a bit of a lottery but on those hard courts I still think she'll be the favourite and is the best player.

My one concern is Wimby. She's clearly not the best player on this surface and it will take a lot of luck for her to beat the likes of Mauresmo and Sharapova on top of their games.

Injuries and her illness are obviously something that could stop her, but I'm pretty confident.

crazyroberto6767
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:12 AM
She has a great shot @ the AO and the FO (although the pressure of a 3-peat is there). She has less of a shot @ the USO (although still a favorite), and even less of a shot @ Wimbledon. I would be shocked if she didn't win a major next year, but even more shocked if she won the Grand Slam.

#1Davenport
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:35 AM
It's not gonna happen... i think the youngsters are gonna come up big this year and give Henin-Hardenne and Mauresmo some trouble.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:39 AM
For me, Maria is the fave at all three non-clay slams next season. Justine a close second. :)

I'd be really surprised if Mauresmo wins another slam. Even after two this year, she still hasn't convinced me, sorry. We're going to have a surprise winner at one of them.. I can feel it. :p Petrova, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, Clijsters. Who knows?

Stamp Paid
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:43 AM
RG is not a given. :lol:

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:49 AM
I think these majors are much more competitve than most people do.
I'm not convinced anyone has an advantage.
Mauresmo looked like a #1 for a while. Then Nadia did.
Then Justine did. Then Amelie had a big win. Then Maria did.
Other players are right there. Sveta won Miami beating Amelie and Maria in 4 sets.
Nicole is young, Jelena has talent. The Williams sisters might be heathy.
A lot can happen.

geoepee
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:49 AM
For me, Maria is the fave at all three non-clay slams next season. Justine a close second. :)

I'd be really surprised if Mauresmo wins another slam. Even after two this year, she still hasn't convinced me, sorry. We're going to have a surprise winner at one of them.. I can feel it. :p Petrova, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, Clijsters. Who knows?
I agree with your entire post, about Maria, JHH and Amelie....I think that Maria is the fave on every non-clay surface.

If anyone were to do it next year, it would be Justine, but it's not going to happen.

Oh, and add Venus to your list of surprise winners for next year...you never know ;)

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:52 AM

I misread the opening post, and thought it said how realistic is it that Justine will win A grand slam, not THE grand slam.

It's extremely unrealistic. Justine will not win all four slams. She can't even beat Amelie in a final. :tape:

Oh, and add Venus to your list of surprise winners for next year...you never know ;)

Actually, Venus will probably rise from the ashes and bullshit another Wimbledon, yes. You're right. :sad:

selyoink
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Not very realistic. Plus I don't believe that RG is a given at all.

Junex
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:23 AM
It's not gonna happen... i think the youngsters are gonna come up big this year and give Henin-Hardenne and Mauresmo some trouble.

I dnt think any of the youngster could trouble justine.

The thing is, Justine is best on her game with variety and the plus is that she likes and could handle above all other players the type of game the current yougsters are playing.

A lot of girls are playing baseline "pace-based" power play Justine loves that.

The proof of that is her defeats in 2006.........

Junex
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:27 AM
She can't even beat Amelie in a final.

YEC! :p

Rtael
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Well it's certainly not impossible...and I disagree with an earlier poster...I would be much more surprised if Justine won no majors than if she won The Grand Slam (barring injuries obviously).

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:45 AM

Anytime that Justine steps on the clay at Roland Garros, she is a favorite. Why?

Because she's won 3 of the last 4 of them.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:45 AM
YEC! :p

In straight sets.;)

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I was talking about slam finals - the ones that actually matter.

Stamp Paid
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Anytime that Justine steps on the clay at Roland Garros, she is a favorite. Why?

Because she's won 3 of the last 4 of them.

Yes she is a definite favorite. But to say that her winning it is a "given" is arrogant and foolish. Even for Graf, the greatest female tennis player ever, no slam was a given.

And yes, before you start the mudslinging tonight, yes Serena is arrogant, foolish, and out of shape too.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:03 AM
........that Justine will win the grand slam next year.

RG is a given, save injuries of course. AO I would say she would be the fav., best on that surface as well imo. USO is a bit of a lottery but on those hard courts I still think she'll be the favourite and is the best player.

My one concern is Wimby. She's clearly not the best player on this surface and it will take a lot of luck for her to beat the likes of Mauresmo and Sharapova on top of their games.

Injuries and her illness are obviously something that could stop her, but I'm pretty confident.

Justine's Grand Slam success will largely depend on her schedule and if she gives her body enough time to rest.

What impressed me about this year was Team Justine's approach to her scheduling. She played the least number of tournaments in the top ten and ended the year #1. They've obviously perfected a training regimen that will maximize her abilities while not over-working her small frame.

Justine won tournaments on every surface this year. People tend to forget that she's won at least one grand slam tournament each of the past four years, something no other active player has accomplished. So, its not like Justine has to learn all over again what it takes to win a singles grand slam title.

Of any of today's current players, I feel that only Justine has the skill, talent and mental toughness to win a calendar year grand slam. Motivation has never been a problem for her and even after illness and injury, she still strives for greatness.

Maria Sharapova will likely be Justine's main competitor at the slams in 2007. We'll see the usual characters with their small spurts of greatness throughout the year, but it will be Justine and Maria that will shine at the majors, in my opinion.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Yes she is a definite favorite. But to say that her winning it is a "given" is arrogant and foolish. Even for Graf, the greatest female tennis player ever, no slam was a given.
You obviously didn't watch the 1988 tennis season and her grand slam success in the mid 1990's. Not that it surprises me. We all know when you began watching tennis.
And yes, before you start the mudslinging tonight, yes Serena is arrogant, foolish, and out of shape too.
Serena is such a non-issue in today's tennis world. Why would I say those things? She has enough to worry about in court. Especially the part about her and Richard misleading jurors and all the perjury talk.

God bless Serena Williams, and some of her retarded fans.

plantman
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I agree in that her scheduling will play a big part in her grandslam accomplishments in 2007. It's my belief that Justine will take 3 of the Slams and the Year Ending Championships in the New Year, with Sharapova winning the other.

Yes, I have a crystal ball!

Rtael
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:15 AM

Graf isn't the greatest ever. :p

Stamp Paid
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:16 AM
You obviously didn't watch the 1988 tennis season and her grand slam success in the mid 1990's. Not that it surprises me. We all know when you began watching tennis.

Serena is such a non-issue in today's tennis world. Why would I say those things?

As irrelevant as it is, I began watching tennis when I was 14.

But lets go back to Relevant Land, shall we? I have watched all 3 of Justine's successful Roland Garros campaigns. She is a virtuoso on the surface. But there are players who can beat her on clay and I'm sure they'll try even harder next year. :):) End.

tennisIlove09
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Extremely unrealistic.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:42 AM
As irrelevant as it is, I began watching tennis when I was 14.

But lets go back to Relevant Land, shall we?

And what are you, 22? Please.

You invoked Graf's name into this thread and had the ignorant view that Graf's winning a grand slam singles title was never a "given." It just shows your ignorance of the sport of tennis.

Speaking of relevant land, why did you once again bring Serena into a thread about Justine?

Obsessed much? You should know better than attack Mother Marjorie, because she will whip that ass.

Check yourself, boy.

plantman
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:20 AM
And what are you, 22? Please.

You invoked Graf's name into this thread and had the ignorant view that Graf's winning a grand slam singles title was never a "given." It just shows your ignorance of the sport of tennis.

Speaking of relevant land, why did you once again bring Serena into a thread about Justine?

Obsessed much? You should know better than attack Mother Marjorie, because she will whip that ass.

Check yourself, boy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: .....................:drool:

So Disrespectful
Dec 16th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Maybe next year she can win two if she's lucky. Justine is no Federer.

hingis-seles
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Justine isn't winning the Grand Slam in 2008 and she isn't winning a 3rd consecutive RG. Even Evert couldn't manage three consecutive RG's so what's Justine in comparison? And please. Justine's no Monica. Maybe a Hilde. :p

:inlove:
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:31 AM
RG is a given

:haha: :help: :weirdo: :scratch:

faboozadoo15
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Well it's certainly not impossible...and I disagree with an earlier poster...I would be much more surprised if Justine won no majors than if she won The Grand Slam (barring injuries obviously).

This is just nonsense.... She only won 1 major this year and it was maybe her best year ever. Assuming she has played 1 bad match in Paris, she could very easily have won 0 slams. I can easily see this happening, as RG is never "a lock".

Anyway, if I had to give my guess, I'd say a slam or 2. 3 is too much, 4 is ridiculous.

pooh14
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:21 AM
i don't know if I would be suprise if she wins all the 4 slams...

with her talent, it is not impossible, at the same time, with the current depth, it would be quite hard to be dominant these days. besides we should not forget about injuries.

anyway RG technically is hers, unless she is injured or screws up herself.

Dexter
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:27 AM
RG is not a given. :lol:YESSSSSSSSSS! SERRENA WILLL WIN... BEWARRE B*TCHES!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

:tape:

:inlove:
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:23 AM
YESSSSSSSSSS! SERRENA WILLL WIN... BEWARRE B*TCHES!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

He didn't say that. :scratch:
It is in no way agiven that Henin will win Roland Garros. :lol:

Crazy_Fool
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Oh please. I mean nothing is certain in this life, but barring injuries who exactly do you think is gonna beat her. Because I cannot think of one player who has more than half a chance.

Crazy_Fool
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:40 PM

What justification do you base that on? Playing a half fit Justine in the final of the US Open, do you really think she would have won that easily otherwise. Justine when fit has the measure of Sharapova, on any surface. Thats a fact.

Mauresmo I believe is the best player on grass, so to say she won't win another slam is quite naive. She stands a real chance there, if nowhere else.

ioni
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM
she can win one or two Grand slams but not THE GRAND SLAM ! :)

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:50 PM
What justification do you base that on? Playing a half fit Justine in the final of the US Open, do you really think she would have won that easily otherwise. Justine when fit has the measure of Sharapova, on any surface. Thats a fact.

:weirdo: And what justification do you base that on. No way in hell is that a fact. Lolz @ Justine being half fit in the USO final. We all know what happens when she's half fit and getting her ass kicked - she quits! After the USO final she said herself that she was fine, just outplayed. You think a fit Justine has the measure of Sharapova on a grass court? :lol: That's just ridiculous.

Mauresmo I believe is the best player on grass, so to say she won't win another slam is quite naive. She stands a real chance there, if nowhere else.

Justine, Venus and Serena playing anywhere near their best could beat Mauresmo down on a grass court. Grass is her best surface, yes, but she's absolutely not the best player on the stuff. :awww:

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:20 PM
We all know what happens when she's half fit and getting her ass kicked - she quits!

In Justine's 8 year career, she's retired during a match a whopping total of 5 times, out of over 500 matches played.

Would you now like to rescend that train of thought, before Mother Marjorie has to correct you again?

Crazy_Fool
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:37 PM
:weirdo: And what justification do you base that on. No way in hell is that a fact. Lolz @ Justine being half fit in the USO final. We all know what happens when she's half fit and getting her ass kicked - she quits! After the USO final she said herself that she was fine, just outplayed. You think a fit Justine has the measure of Sharapova on a grass court? :lol: That's just ridiculous.
Yeah, yeah. We all know she was limited in the USO final, just because she wants to say she was ok, doesn't mean she was. Yeah I do think Justine would beat Sharapova on grass, just you see.

Justine, Venus and Serena playing anywhere near their best could beat Mauresmo down on a grass court. Grass is her best surface, yes, but she's absolutely not the best player on the stuff. :awww:

We're not living in 2002/03. Sorry.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:53 PM
In Justine's 8 year career, she's retired during a match a whopping total of 5 times, out of over 500 matches played.

Would you now like to rescend that train of thought, before Mother Marjorie has to correct you again?

Tongue-in-cheek. Australian Open final.

Mother Marjorie can fuck off. Thanks.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Yeah, yeah. We all know she was limited in the USO final

We do? How was this.

Kart
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:03 PM

You are of course right but having said that, apart from the Sveta match last year, Justine's barely looked like losing at RG when she's fit for ages. Even when Sveta was on the verge of winning it still looked like Justine would come through.

I don't see any of the top players mounting any more resistance than they did this year (which was not much.)

I guess the biggest threat to her losing would come from some unknown fearless youngster rather than her current peers.

new-york
Dec 16th, 2006, 02:08 PM
great shots everywhere, as usual. RG is her best chance, as usual.

but repeating 2006 & winning the finals she lost last year will hard.
kinda feel like she lost the big opportunity this season.
she would need to reach her 9th consecutive major final.

sounds big to me.
wait & see though.

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Tongue-in-cheek. Australian Open final.

Why so? Just because you weren't factual?

It must be hell to go through life with such thin-skin.

Mother Marjorie thinks you need to toughen up a little leprechaun, and research a little better before making outlandish statements.

That "tongue-in-ass" thing you do is of no business of mine. Mother Marjorie suggests keeping your business private.

Apoleb
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:50 PM

:haha:

Well she wasn't far away this year. She should've gotten Wimbledon. At the USO, she was outplayed and needed to be at her total best, which she wasn't. It's a low probability thing but it's possible. I wouldn't bet money on it though. She needs to approach matches better, and to organize herself better so she can be fit for the finals.

Il Primo!
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Considering the fact that Maria S. is likely to win all three non-clay GS, it will be difficult for Justine to realise the GS. Plus we all know that Amélie has her number, when matches really count (The YEC is NOT a GS)

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Considering the fact that Maria S. is likely to win all three non-clay GS...In what bizarro world is that a fact?

<Sven>
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I think Justine has got the best chance of winning the Grand Slam compared to all other active players
That said, I would still be really surprised if she did. Come on, not even Roger Federer has succeeded in doing that, and look at how he is dominating the atp...
RG also isn't a given, but of course probably her best shot at another GS victory.
I just hope Kim manages to win another GS before she retires, and I think it's very likely that Sharapova will win her third this year.
So, it's not impossible that she will manage it, but it's far from likely.

cecilija
Dec 16th, 2006, 06:27 PM
She had her chance this year, but failed.

It is hard to get to all grand slam finals, let alone win all of them, so yes it is pretty unrealistic.

And since when the YEC matches are meaningless?

Just because Justine won it? :lol:

IceHock
Dec 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Justine is the best player on the tour when she is fit and playing her game, she dismantled Sharapova in the YEC along with Amelie in the final. She is the favorite for the AO, a HUGE favorite for RG. Maybe not the fave for wimbledon but still a contender and same for the USO. Depens on what shape she is in.

KishG
Dec 16th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Justine is the best player on the tour when she is fit and playing her game, she dismantled Sharapova in the YEC along with Amelie in the final. She is the favorite for the AO, a HUGE favorite for RG. Maybe not the fave for wimbledon but still a contender and same for the USO. Depens on what shape she is in.

Serena's the best player on tour when fit. Hence the "Serena slam". She is also the mentally toughest with Justine coming in joint second with Venus.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Serena's the best player on tour when fit.Not now, she's not. Serena won 1 major since 2003, and Justine and Kim weren't in the draw. Sharapova was 17 then.
She has to prove she's the best player in today's game.

KishG
Dec 16th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Not now, she's not. Serena won 1 major since 2003, and Justine and Kim weren't in the draw. Sharapova was 17 then.
She has to prove she's the best player in today's game.

Well it's hard to win majors when you don't enter them/ when you're unfit.

She is the best player, when fit, purely because of the fact that her tennis back in 2002/2003 is the best I've seen this millenium. If she was as fit as she was back then, then she would have won most slams this year. Not only that, but she wasn't in her prime when she won all those slams in a row. You play your "prime tennis" when you're going into your late 20's. She still had room for improvement but instead of spending her time bettering her game, she chose to spend her time on other outside activites which in turn did not make her maintain her fitness. She still has a chance to become the best. She's only 25.

People say that "this sin't 2002 etc etc" and that the game has "moved on": It just means that the quality of tennis has decreased; not increased as they are suggesting. And I hate it when people say "in todays game" it's not like it has been fifty years since the Williams has domintated! For fucks sake! It's only been three/four years and I seriously doubt that the game has improved so much that either Williams Sister needs to prove themselves again to be a true champion. Hell even both of them won slams last year. Thats proof enough.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I'm not arguing about how good Serena was.
But she's been on the court in 2004, 2005 and 2006, and she's not the best player on the tour.

KishG
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I'm not arguing about how good Serena was.
But she's been on the court in 2004, 2005 and 2006, and she's not the best player on the tour.

Thats because she's not fit! Did you seriously think that Serena 2005/2006 was a fit Serena?

The only reason why Serena didn't win a single slam in 2004 was because she just recently came off injury, on her worst surface [Roland Garros: clay], manage to get to the Wimbledon final but got beat by a better player on the day. She was being too stupid to realise that she needed to be focused even though she was playing a teenager that she beat a month before. And lets not forget what happened at the US Open:mad:

She was fit a the Australian Open and manged to win that but from then on, her fitness just went downhill as did her game.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:12 PM
It's not just fitness. It's hard to separate how much is fitness, how much is mental.
For her to be the best player on the tour, she has to win almost every time she plays the other top players.
She hasn't done that in over 3 years.

KishG
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:15 PM
It's not just fitness. It's hard to separate how much is fitness, how much is mental.
For her to be the best player on the tour, she has to win almost every time she plays the other top players.
She hasn't done that in over 3 years.

And Justine has? Justine has never done this wheras Serena has. Thats the difference. And thats why I hold this opinion that, when fit, Serena is the best on the tour. And fitness includes mental toughness too. It's hard to play your best when only five months earlier someone shot your sister dead in the head. Thats probably why both Williams Sisters' total domination had ended.

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Justine has won about 37 of her last 40.
Sharapova has won 19 of her last 20.

SAEKeithSerena
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:22 PM
not very, at all.

the australian-with serena healthy and playing the week before, she will be a factor. i'd say the favorites to win
1)sharapova
2)mauresmo
3)jhh
4)serena
this one will go to sharapova or serena.

the french open
this is either serena's or justine's. a final between the two would be grand.

wimbledon
no fucking way.

the us open
the way maria played this year was tremendous. if maria is healthy, justine won't win this.

her best bed is absolutely at the french.

KishG
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Justine has won about 37 of her last 40.
Sharapova has won 19 of her last 20.

So!? Still doesnt trump the grand prestigue of winning all slams in a row. Neither Sharapova or Justine has done that. Thats why Serena is something, and someone special.

As for Justine, she might have won 37 of her last 40 matches, but all she has to show for it is one slam title and the Year ending championships. Considering, she's been in all slams finals this year it isn't really impressive if she is supposedly the "best".

jazar
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:27 PM
although it is possible, i think that given the strength in depth in the women's game it is highly unlikely that she will repeat her achievements from this year-cos 8 slam finals in a row is pretty difficult with such good competition

SAEKeithSerena
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
So!? Still doesnt trump the grand prestigue of winning all slams in a row. Neither Sharapova or Justine has done that. Thats why Serena is something, and someone special.

As for Justine, she might have won 37 of her last 40 matches, but all she has to show for it is one slam title and the Year ending championships. Considering, she's been in all slams finals this year it isn't really impressive if she is supposedly the "best".

:worship: :worship: :worship:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
not very, at all.

the australian-with serena healthy and playing the week before, she will be a factor. i'd say the favorites to win
1)sharapova
2)mauresmo
3)jhh
4)serena
this one will go to sharapova or serena.

the french open
this is either serena's or justine's. a final between the two would be grand.

wimbledon
no fucking way.

the us open
the way maria played this year was tremendous. if maria is healthy, justine won't win this.

her best bed is absolutely at the french.

Serena has more of a chance than Justine does!

Stamp Paid
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:02 PM
YESSSSSSSSSS! SERRENA WILLL WIN... BEWARRE B*TCHES!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

THATS RIGHT BITCH, CUZ FEARLUSS SERENA WILLYUMS RULLLLLLLLLZ!!!!!!!!!!!#3!!!!!!!!!!!!#311111

:rolleyes:

IceHock
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Serena's the best player on tour when fit. Hence the "Serena slam". She is also the mentally toughest with Justine coming in joint second with Venus.

That was 2002, this is soon to be 2007, Henin is now the best when fit.

KishG
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM
That was 2002, this is soon to be 2007, Henin is now the best when fit.

Please refer to my previous comments and THEN get back to me. Thank You.

DavidEllul
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Serena has more of a chance than Justine does!

Serena :tape: :lol:

Ntour
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:48 PM
This is just nonsense.... She only won 1 major this year and it was maybe her best year ever. Assuming she has played 1 bad match in Paris, she could very easily have won 0 slams. I can easily see this happening, as RG is never "a lock".

Anyway, if I had to give my guess, I'd say a slam or 2. 3 is too much, 4 is ridiculous.

justine didn't play wel at all in 05 at rg and still won

and you must remember that justine was only three match win from the grand slam this year, and as carlos put it this year is just a 'transitional' year

I think justine will be a bigger force than ever on tour next year

meyerpl
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:50 PM
She's an amazing player but I think the WTA is too deep with talent now.

Ntour
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:52 PM
She had her chance this year, but failed.

It is hard to get to all grand slam finals, let alone win all of them, so yes it is pretty unrealistic.

And since when the YEC matches are meaningless?

Just because Justine won it? :lol:

just imagine if maria had won it

it would be "she won the yec final, therefore she will win the grandslam"

Ntour
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:01 AM
And Justine has? Justine has never done this wheras Serena has. Thats the difference. And thats why I hold this opinion that, when fit, Serena is the best on the tour. And fitness includes mental toughness too. It's hard to play your best when only five months earlier someone shot your sister dead in the head. Thats probably why both Williams Sisters' total domination had ended.

stop living in the past, seriously the williams sisers are finished. I can understand that your still cliging to their past glory, but to come out and say when she is fit, she is the best on tour currently, there is absolutely no way you can back that statement up she hasn't played or been fit for ages. and of course for her to prove it she would have to become fit which is obviously not going to happen.

goldenlox
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:04 AM
just imagine if maria had won it

it would be "she won the yec final, therefore she will win the grandslam"Sharapova got beat at the YEC, just like she got beat at the AO, RG, and Wimbledon.
But people still think she's going to dominate. They only count her wins.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:06 AM
stop living in the past, seriously the williams sisers are finished. I can understand that your still cliging to their past glory, but to come out and say when she is fit, she is the best on tour currently, there is absolutely no way you can back that statement up she hasn't played or been fit for ages. and of course for her to prove it she would have to become fit which is obviously not going to happen.
the fact that she came back from a 6 month injury break and in 3 tournaments beat 3 top 20 players shows that she's not "OVER" :rolleyes: but you know what, I'm tired of defending Serena to you. Like Venus said in Australia, there will always be naysayers, and so I guess, you're one of them.

It's ok, :wavey: we'll see in 2007

goldenlox
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:10 AM
It's going to be a great year. There are a lot of slam winners playing in 2007.
Going back to Hingis in '96.

Ryan
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Wow, nice discussion here guys! I think of the players on tour, she has the best chance. Will she do it? I honestly do not think she will - for several reasons.

I think at Wimbledon and US Open, right now, Maria has to be the favorite. Obviously things will change over the course of the year, but since this thread is being made now, year end form is relevant. I think a fit Justine will beat Maria more than she'll lose, but Justine was hardly "limited" in the US Open final from what I could see. Maria just played out of her mind, and Justine was a little mentally down.

I think the biggest factor in Justine winning a slam is her draw. Playing Kuznetsova in the QF of the French Open is much more difficult than playing her in the Finals - simply because Justine is more mentally tough and a better player. However, if Justine faces good clay players earlier on I think she may lose. Clijsters, as much as I want her to win another slam, is no competition for Justine in the latter stages of a slam. I hope I'm getting my point across, because I think I'm rambling. ;)

What I mean is, RG is not a "given", although she is the overwhelming favorite. I think that winning 3 RG's in a row is tough, and she'll probably suffer a letdown and lose to someone in the QF's. If she makes the Finals I cant see her losing. AO - she's the second favorite behind Maria for me, but the slower hardcourts obviously favors Justine so we'll have to see how the draw plays out. Wimbledon: I don't see Justine winning it, simply because if Venus, Serena, or another good fast court player has an on day they could overwhelm Justine, and her draw this year was pretty easy. US Open - I always thought she sucked on hardcourts, but she's obviously adapted and played really well in 06. She should make the SF's, but could lose.

Ok, so although I hate Justine, I think she could definately win 2 slams next year. Most likely RG, possibly AO or USO. But she wont win a calendar slam.

Ryan
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Sharapova got beat at the YEC, just like she got beat at the AO, RG, and Wimbledon.
But people still think she's going to dominate. They only count her wins.

They do that with a lot of players too. However, I think Maria will always be considered a favorite at the 3 non-clay slams simply because she's always been a SF presence since winning Wimby in 04. I think she'll probably win a slam next year, but I think it's safe to say she's a favorite to 'dominate' the hardcourts again.