PDA

View Full Version : Looks like WTA / ATP want Madrid to be major warm-up event for French Open

saphir1
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:08 PM
On the German Yahoo! tennis page, the president of the German Tennis Federation says that ATP plans Madrid to be the combined event leading to the French Open. It discusses that it might be the end for the men's event in Hamburg and Monte Carlo...

What will it mean for Berlin and Rome?

To me, it shows how the sport has become more and more driven by money. I mean, Madrid already has the women's YEC and the men's Masters Series event...

goldenlox
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:47 PM
The money is out there, so the ATP and WTA should go get some of it.
Even though tennis has become a very minor sport in the US, there are many countries who will pay big money to host a Tier I

matthias
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:50 PM
i guess it will mean that Berlin will become Tier 2 (Qater will get the Tier 1 Status from Berlin - since they already own it)

Wannabeknowitall
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:53 PM
On the German Yahoo! tennis page, the president of the German Tennis Federation says that ATP plans Madrid to be the combined event leading to the French Open. It discusses that it might be the end for the men's event in Hamburg and Monte Carlo...

What will it mean for Berlin and Rome?

To me, it shows how the sport has become more and more driven by money. I mean, Madrid already has the women's YEC and the men's Masters Series event...

The end of Hamburg yes. The end of Monte Carlo? :lol: Not happening.
Berlin is always going to be in question as long as Qatar Telecom is one of the sponsers.
Rome should be fine though.

suzie
Dec 15th, 2006, 04:20 PM
There's a blog's entry in Pete Bodo's blog about that subject. It's an insight view of the portuguese journalist Miguel Seabra, who was in Shanghai for the YEC. If you're interested here's the link:

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2006/11/confusing_confu_1.html

goldenlox
Dec 15th, 2006, 04:25 PM
i guess it will mean that Berlin will become Tier 2 (Qater will get the Tier 1 Status from Berlin - since they already own it)
There won't be any more Tier II's in 2009. Qatar will have an A in Doha.
Berlin is in big trouble.

tenn_ace
Dec 15th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I don't think ATP/WTA would give a f*ck about french Open. They do not own FO so probably could careless. They do know though that most of players are in Europe at that time, theat players trying to get some matches in and that combined events are popular, so it's a good formula for financial success for the tournament.

goldenlox
Dec 15th, 2006, 04:31 PM
The WTA & ATP want to work with the ITF powers. This won't hurt the FO. It might hurt Berlin, Rome and green clay.

fufuqifuqishahah
Dec 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM
The WTA & ATP want to work with the ITF powers. This won't hurt the FO. It might hurt Berlin, Rome and green clay.

nooooooooooooo not GReeen CLaAAaAYy

goldenlox
Dec 15th, 2006, 05:54 PM
If the USTA wants to keep AI and Charleston, they can afford to.
Under the new roadmap, A tournaments have to pay up.
It could be that AI is a B and Charleston is an A.