PDA

View Full Version : A Closer Look: Lindsay vs. Former #1's (Stats)

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:27 PM
AT THE TIME OF LINDSAY'S FIRST RETIREMENT:
blue= leading H2H / red= trailing H2H

TRACY AUSTIN: 1 Win / 0 Loses These two met once on clay with Davenport winning with ease 6-1,6-2. At this point Tracy was no where the player she was at her best, but Lindsay was far from her best at this point as well.

MARTINA NAVRATILOVA: 0 wins / 1 Loss (Never met in the slams) These two former number ones only met once in their pro careers. It was during the early days of Lindsay's career and the later days of Navratilova. Although Lindsay won the first set by only giving up one game, Martina came through in three 1-6,6-3,7-5. (Indoor Carpet)

STEFFI GRAF: 6 Wins / 8 Loses (1-2 in Slams) After going down to Graf in their first 4 meetings, Lindsay got her first win on her fifth try. Lindsay ended up winning 3 out of their last 4 meetings, including Steffi’s last played major (Wimbledon Final 1999). Steffi was the first person to beat Lindsay when Lindsay took over the number one spot in the rankings for the first time. 9 out of 14 of their matches included a tie-break or went three sets- so they were usually really competitive with one another.

MONICA SELES: 10 Wins / 3 Loses (1-0): As was the case with Amelie Mauresmo, it took Lindsay 3 tries to get her first win and totally dominate the H2H. Lindsay went on to win 10 out of the 11 matches that they played. Her sole lost in that stretch was at the Championships in 2002. In that particular match Lindsay had a handful of match points, but couldn’t close out a determined Seles. Personally speaking, the best two sets they’ve played were the first two sets they played at Wimbledon. Both were giving it their all and there really wasn’t much between the two. It’s unfortunate Seles couldn’t keep it up, Lindsay went on to bagel her in the third. That’s the only time these two ever met in a slam.

ARANTXA SANCHEZ-VICARIO: 5 Wins / 7 Loses (0-2 in Slams): It would take Lindsay five years to get her first win against Arantxa. Arantxa won 7 of 9 of their first encounters. Lindsay needed more time to turn this H2H around and toward the end of Vicario’s career Lindsay was the more dominate player. Lindsay went on to win 5 out 7 of the last matches that they played.

MARTINA HINGIS: 14 Wins / 11 Loses (3-1 in Slams): Of all of Lindsay’s rivals Hingis (alongside Venus) has to be one of the few that brought the best out in her. Out of all their 25 matches they’ve never met on grass and only played once on clay, with Lindsay winning 4-6,6-2,6-2 at RG-1995.

VENUS WILLIAMS: 14 Wins / 13 Loses (3-5 in Slams): Most people would probably agree that Venus was Lindsay’s main rival most of her career. They met in the finals 12 times! Lindsay won 5 of those 12 encounters. Venus ruled on gras, but Lindsay was tops on the indoor courts compiling a 4-1 lead over Vee. Of the 27 matches they’ve played only one resulted in a retirement and for two players so prone to injury that’s pretty remarkable. They had five times in their rivalry where one player would go on a stretch of 3 or more wins. Three times for Lindsay and two occasions for Venus.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: 9 Wins/ 3 Loses (3-1 in Slams) Throughout their careers Lindsay has never lost to Jenny on Clay, Grass, or Indoor Courts (5-0). All 3 of JCaps wins come on Hard Courts. Believe it or not these two have never played a complete final against one another. Their last meeting was the only time they’ve ever met in a final and after a set and a half Lindsay retired.

SERENA WILLIAMS: 4 Wins / 10 Loses (1-4 in slams): After winning their first encounter Lindsay didn’t fair too well against Serena. She lost 9 out of 10 of their next match ups. Lindsay finally turned things around in 2004, that year she was a perfect 2-0 against her. The last match they played was the 2005 Australian Open, where Lindsay lost a three setter to Serena. These two Wimbledon champs never played one another on grass. Davenport leads the rivalry on Indoor courts (2-1).

KIM CLIJSTERS: 8 wins / 9 Loses (5-1 in Slams) Interesting that in slam meetings Lindsay is ahead 5-1 over Kim. When you factor in surfaces Lindsay has a 6-1 edge over Kim on all surfaces excluding Hard-Courts (outdoor). After losing 6 straight matches to Kim between 2003 and 2005, Lindsay went on to win their last two meetings, both of which happened to be at slams (RG-2005 and Wimby-2005).

JUSTINE HARDENNE: 5 Wins / 7 Loses (2-4 in Slams) The first five matches were all won by Lindsay and the last 7 have all been won by Justine. They both bageled one another once in their careers. Lindsay bageled Justine at the US Open winning 6-0,6-4 and Justine returned the favor bageling Lindsay eight years later. Justine leads the H2H on Hard Courts (6-4) and Lindsay leads the H2H on Carpet (indoors) (2-0), they are tied on Clay (1-1) and have never met on grass.

AMELIE MAURESMO: 12 Wins / 4 Loses (1-1 in Slams): It took Lindsay a second to figure Amelie out, but after losing her first two encounters against her, she went on to totally dominate Mauresmo. Lindsay went on to win the next 12 of 13 matches they played, winning 9 straight matches between 2001 and 2006. 14 out of the 16 times they played were QF or later rounds. In the five finals they played against one another, Lindsay won all except for one, their first final in Sydney. Lindsay won ever other final they ever played.

Maria Sharapova: 1 Win / 4 Loses (0-1 in Slams): Every match that Lindsay had ever lost to Sharapova went three sets. The one match that Lindsay won was a severe beat-down where Lindsay didn’t lose a single game to Maria. We all remember the stunning 6-0,6-0 defeat, but the defeat that probably hurts the most was the one at Wimbledon in 2004. Lindsay won the first set and was handling herself fine in the second before the rain Gods interfered. After play resumed Sharapova went on to win 2-6,7-6,6-1. Although Sharapova had the H2H edge whenever they played it was really anyone’s match. They never met one another on clay.

YEAR-END #1
1. Steffi Graf (8 times)
2. Martina Navratilova (7 times)
3. Chris Evert (5 times)
4. Lindsay Davenport (4 times)
5. Martina Hingis (3 times)
6. Justine Henin-Hardenne (2 times)
6. Monica Seles (2 times)
8. Serena Williams (once)

Weeks at #1
1) Steffi Graf-377
2) Martina Navratilova-331
3) Chris Evert-262
4) Martina Hingis-209
5) Monica Seles-178
6) Lindsay Davenport-98
7) Serena Williams-57
8) Justine Henin-Hardenne-56
9) Amelie Mauresmo-39
10) Tracy Austin-22
11) Kim Clijsters-19
12) Jennifer Capriati-17
13) Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario-12
14) Venus Williams-11
15) Maria Sharapova-7

Although Lindsay didn't play a full schedule her last year on tour, she did manage to dish out more double bagels than any other player this year:
def. Elena Likhovtseva 6-0 6-0 Dubai - R16
def. Ashley Harkleroad 6-0 6-0 Indian Wells - R64
def. Jelena Kostanic 6-0 6-0 US Open - R64

Please feel free to add any other stats re: Lindsay and the other former #1's

Something that I noticed when looking at her stats was how competitive she was against the top players on her worse surface, clay. Of the top players she's played on clay she's tied or leading 7 players in her H2H, while she only trailing 3 players.

Top players she leads or is tied with on clay:

Austin:1-0
Hingis:1-0
JCap:2-0
Venus:1-0
Kim:1-0
JuJu:1-1
MoMo:1-1

These are some of best players on clay, so good for Lindsay!

Top players she trails on clay:

Graf:0-1 (3 set loss)
Sanchez-Vicario:0-3
Serena:0-1

Top players she's never played on clay:

Navratilova:0-0
Seles:0-0
Sharapova:0-0

Career win-loss percentage on each surface:
hardcourt= 80% (.808)
Indoor= 79%(.787)
Grass= 79%(.782)
Clay= 77% (.765)
Carpet= 76%(.775)

Overall she's compiled a 77% winning record on the surface. Although percentage wise it's not her best surface, she's still done better on this surace against the top players than she has on hardcourts.

If I'm inspired I'll get around to doing the same for each surface and update sometime later.

Craigy
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Its a shame she didn't get to 100 weeks at #1 :(

Lindsayfanumber1
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Great Stats LINDSAY :sad:

tennisIlove09
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I think everytime Monica beat Lindsay, Lindsay had match points. I thought I read that some where ... maybe I am wrong.

The Daviator
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:47 PM

I know :(

Thanks for the stats :wavey:

Nicolás89
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:04 PM
great stats:wavey:

she played with every former top one except with chris lindsay:worship:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I love how Lindsay was always so competitive with Steffi. She always gave Steffi all she could handle.
I love how Lindsay beat Arantxa, one of the original "retreivers" in tennis for her gold medal.

And Lindsay leads Kim 5-1 in slam matches! Holy crap. :eek:

Lindsay always put up damn good stats. And for that I love her. Hall of Fame here we come!!!:worship:

Ben.
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Great stats there :yeah: Lindsay should be proud of all these accomplishments & stats she's achieved I would say :)

pigam
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:42 PM
nice work
interesting read on a fantastic carreer.
You know it's "funny". Lindsay is seems to be soo well respected by everyone :eek: you should read the reaction on henins official site for example, or from most fans on this board. it's really nice (for a change)

Mattographer
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I think everytime Monica beat Lindsay, Lindsay had match points. I thought I read that some where ... maybe I am wrong.
That's true ;)

:eek: @ 5-1 against Kim in Slam events :lol:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:55 PM
nice work
interesting read on a fantastic carreer.
You know it's "funny". Lindsay is seems to be soo well respected by everyone :eek: you should read the reaction on henins official site for example, or from most fans on this board. it's really nice (for a change)

Can you post what Justine said? I'd like to know. :)

pigam
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Can you post what Justine said? I'd like to know. :)

I was talking about Justine's fans.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Andrew..
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I'm sure we'll hear alot from other players once the AO rolls around.

Lindsay will be missed in Melbourne. I believe she has more wins there than any other active player.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I was talking about Justine's fans.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

It's okay/ ;)

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:23 AM
I'm lovin' all these Lindsay threads, it's kinda our way of acknowledging her and her achievments. She has pretty amazing stats and along the way she has proven she can hold her own against anyone at any given time.

I guess it's because I'm from S.California, but I've seen more her matches than anyone other tennis player. I went from hating her to admiring her along the way. The best match I've seen her play personaly was when she killed my beloved Serena in Carson (Los Angeles) in 2004.

With regards to this thread, how many other players can boast they have winining records over the likes of Tracy Austin, Venus Williams, Martina Hingis, JCap, Monica Seles, and Mauresmo.... none. (I don't think Mauresmo ever played Graf so she's out).

hurricanejeanne
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:37 AM
I'm lovin' all these Lindsay threads, it's kinda our way of acknowledging her and her achievments. She has pretty amazing stats and along the way she has proven she can hold her own against anyone at any given time.

I guess it's because I'm from S.California, but I've seen more her matches than anyone other tennis player. I went from hating her to admiring her along the way. The best match I've seen her play personaly was when she killed my beloved Serena in Carson (Los Angeles) in 2004.

With regards to this thread, how many other players can boast they have winining records over the likes of Tracy Austin, Venus Williams, Martina Hingis, JCap, Monica Seles, and Mauresmo.... none. (I don't think Mauresmo ever played Graf so she's out).

I'm loving all the threads too. Part of me didn't expect this kind of outpouring of love and acknowledgement for her. But then again, she's been around for so long that I guess even if you weren't a fan, you were used to her being around. I hope she does something tennis related in her career after the baby.
It would be wonderful to see her in another tennis related capacity.

Apoorv
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:49 AM

Graf leads Mauresmo 1-0 H2H. Graf beat mauresmo 6-3 6-3 in 97 RG. 2nd or 3rd round.

tennisIlove09
Dec 15th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I think everyone is showing their respect for Lindsay, because for so long she was just a tennis player that really really good at what she did. She never really had the drama that followed other players (Venus, Serena, Jennifer, Martina, JHH). She just went out there, played her game. Won. Lost. That was it. No fuss.

Junex
Dec 16th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I used to loved Lindsay so much...i had the memory in my mind of her playing in barcelona Olympics breaking all the spanish hearts!!!!

tennisjunky
Dec 17th, 2006, 02:07 AM
thanks

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Graf leads Mauresmo 1-0 H2H. Graf beat mauresmo 6-3 6-3 in 97 RG. 2nd or 3rd round.Then I stand corrected so let me re-phrase; Lindsay is the only player, besides the greatest player of all time, Steffi Graf, that would have ended her career with winning records over the following six former number one players: Tracy Austin, Venus Williams, Martina Hingis, JCap, Monica Seles, and Mauresmo.

jas_aussie
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:43 AM
well done what a champ you are

Martian Stacey
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Yeah :(

I think its kind of weird that for all the matches Lindsay and Martina played against each other, only 4 of those were played at slams. And I never realised she has such a strong record against Kim at the slams

ZeroSOFInfinity
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:55 AM
YEAR-END #1
1. Steffi Graf (8 times)
3. Chris Evert (5 times)
4. Lindsay Davenport (4 times) :eek:
7. Serena Williams (once)

Lindsay has done more Year-End #1 than Martina, Justine and Serena??? WOW... respect!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Weeks at #1
1) Steffi Graf-377
3) Chris Evert-262
4) Martina Hingis-209
5) Monica Seles-178
6) Lindsay Davenport-98
7) Serena Williams-57
9) Amelie Mauresmo-39
10) Tracy Austin-22
11) Kim Clijsters-19
12) Jennifer Capriati-17
14) Venus Williams-11
15) Maria Sharapova-7

Seriously, 98 weeks at #1 is an amazing achievement itself... and her being longer than Serena is... unbelivable. :worship:

(P.S: Justine's just 1 week behind Serena? No way! Does it include the off-season also in the calculation of weeks at #1???)

moby
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Then I stand corrected so let me re-phrase; Lindsay is the only player, besides the greatest player of all time, Steffi Graf, that would have ended her career with winning records over the following six former number one players: Tracy Austin, Venus Williams, Martina Hingis, JCap, Monica Seles, and Mauresmo.Steffi's H2H with Tracy is tied at 1-all. ;)

Lindsayfan32
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Lindsay and Martina never played on grass it would've been an interesting match if they did. As for not getting to 100 weeks at number. Most of the so called experts never thought she spend one week at number 1 so 98 weeks is one hell of a achievement.

sweetpeas
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks!

Couver
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Amazing stats. When you see something like this you realize just how big a prescence and impact Lindsay had on the tour. Something I think we'll all miss and notice when 2007 rolls around. She was not only a great player, but she was a great spokesperson for the sport, especially in the later half of her career. I will miss her, but I am happy she's starting the family she's wanted to start for a while now. I'd love to see her in the commenting booth sometime in the future.

tard~tard
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Thank you for the stats. :)

Such a pity Lindsay and Justine never met on gras.
Wimbledon felt incomplete to me without Lindsay this summer,
and now ... oh well, the show must go on I guess.
I will miss her and her fabulous groundstrokes.
She was quite unique to me as a tennisplayer, pretty irreplaceable.

liuxuan
Dec 25th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Lindsay is just amazing, what a champion and a player im gonna miss so much!

Her 98 weeks at #1 is amazing, but i would also be interested to see how many weeks she spent as world #2 - i bet its a lot more! i think shes probably spent more time in the top 2 than Martina or Monica?

RayRob
Dec 25th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Some of these stats are nothing short of amazing! I knew Lindsay was good, especially against top players (she always gave her all) but some of these stats pleasantly surprise me!

It's nice for me as a Lindsay fan to see all of these respectful threads that honour a great champion that achieved more than most ever expected. There have been times when I have seen posts and threads that slander Lindsay (and other players), however when it all comes down to it we on this board know our tennis and people can not deny that Lindsay was one of the greats.

She may not have won the amount of slams like Steffi or Martina N, but Lindsay was never a child prodigy and deserves credit for turning her career around. She won and achieved what most people and "experts" deemed impossible.

I just hope the tennis world will publicly honor Lindsay, although it's not really the style of Lindsay herself.

Thank you again for the thread...there is a rep point on it's way to you right about now. :yeah:

Rache

gmak
Dec 25th, 2006, 06:52 PM
lindsay :worship: :worship: :worship: simply amazing!

what a champion :hatoff: :sad:

charmedRic
Dec 25th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Super Excellent :)

tennisjunky
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:39 AM
lindsay and maria on clay would have been good. think lindsay might of had a chance to win, but maria is underrated on clay just like lindsay was so you never know. its not their best surface but they're good on all surfaces.

tommystar
Dec 26th, 2006, 07:55 AM
MARTINA NAVRATILOVA: 0 wins / 1 Loss (Never met in the slams) These two former number ones only met once in their pro careers. It was during the early days of Lindsay's career and the later days of Navratilova. Although Lindsay won the first set by only giving up one game, Martina came through in three 1-6,6-3,7-5. (Indoor Carpet)

Lindsay had match point against Martina in that one.
I'd love to see that match!

Calypso
Jul 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Super stats!

And now she can add to her legacy, as a mom!

KBdoubleu
Jul 28th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Yeah thats true...
1996 SYDNEY HARD (O) F M. SELES def. L. DAVENPORT 4-6 7-6(7) 6-3
1997 LOS ANGELES HARD (O) F M. SELES def. L. DAVENPORT 5-7 7-5 6-4
2002 TOUR CHAMPIONSHIPS CARPET (I) R16 M. SELES def. L. DAVENPORT 3-6 7-6(6) 6-3

lecciones
Jul 28th, 2007, 04:53 PM
AT THE TIME OF LINDSAY'S FIRST RETIREMENT:
blue= leading H2H / red= trailing H2H

TRACY AUSTIN: 1 Win / 0 Loses These two met once on clay with Davenport winning with ease 6-1,6-2. At this point Tracy was no where the player she was at her best, but Lindsay was far from her best at this point as well.

STEFFI GRAF: 6 Wins / 8 Loses (1-2 in Slams) After going down to Graf in their first 4 meetings, Lindsay got her first win on her fifth try. Lindsay ended up winning 3 out of their last 4 meetings, including Steffi’s last played major (Wimbledon Final 1999). Steffi was the first person to beat Lindsay when Lindsay took over the number one spot in the rankings for the first time. 9 out of 14 of their matches included a tie-break or went three sets- so they were usually really competitive with one another.

MONICA SELES: 10 Wins / 3 Loses (1-0): As was the case with Amelie Mauresmo, it took Lindsay 3 tries to get her first win and totally dominate the H2H. Lindsay went on to win 10 out of the 11 matches that they played. Her sole lost in that stretch was at the Championships in 2002. In that particular match Lindsay had a handful of match points, but couldn’t close out a determined Seles. Personally speaking, the best two sets they’ve played were the first two sets they played at Wimbledon. Both were giving it their all and there really wasn’t much between the two. It’s unfortunate Seles couldn’t keep it up, Lindsay went on to bagel her in the third. That’s the only time these two ever met in a slam.

ARANTXA SANCHEZ-VICARIO: 5 Wins / 7 Loses (0-2 in Slams): It would take Lindsay five years to get her first win against Arantxa. Arantxa won 7 of 9 of their first encounters. Lindsay needed more time to turn this H2H around and toward the end of Vicario’s career Lindsay was the more dominate player. Lindsay went on to win 5 out 7 of the last matches that they played.

MARTINA HINGIS: 14 Wins / 11 Loses (3-1 in Slams): Of all of Lindsay’s rivals Hingis (alongside Venus) has to be one of the few that brought the best out in her. Out of all their 25 matches they’ve never met on grass and only played once on clay, with Lindsay winning 4-6,6-2,6-2 at RG-1995.

VENUS WILLIAMS: 14 Wins / 13 Loses (3-5 in Slams): Most people would probably agree that Venus was Lindsay’s main rival most of her career. They met in the finals 12 times! Lindsay won 5 of those 12 encounters. Venus ruled on gras, but Lindsay was tops on the indoor courts compiling a 4-1 lead over Vee. Of the 27 matches they’ve played only one resulted in a retirement and for two players so prone to injury that’s pretty remarkable. They had five times in their rivalry where one player would go on a stretch of 3 or more wins. Three times for Lindsay and two occasions for Venus.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: 9 Wins/ 3 Loses (3-1 in Slams) Throughout their careers Lindsay has never lost to Jenny on Clay, Grass, or Indoor Courts (5-0). All 3 of JCaps wins come on Hard Courts. Believe it or not these two have never played a complete final against one another. Their last meeting was the only time they’ve ever met in a final and after a set and a half Lindsay retired.

SERENA WILLIAMS: 4 Wins / 10 Loses (1-4 in slams): After winning their first encounter Lindsay didn’t fair too well against Serena. She lost 9 out of 10 of their next match ups. Lindsay finally turned things around in 2004, that year she was a perfect 2-0 against her. The last match they played was the 2005 Australian Open, where Lindsay lost a three setter to Serena. These two Wimbledon champs never played one another on grass. Davenport leads the rivalry on Indoor courts (2-1).

KIM CLIJSTERS: 8 wins / 9 Loses (5-1 in Slams) Interesting that in slam meetings Lindsay is ahead 5-1 over Kim. When you factor in surfaces Lindsay has a 6-1 edge over Kim on all surfaces excluding Hard-Courts (outdoor). After losing 6 straight matches to Kim between 2003 and 2005, Lindsay went on to win their last two meetings, both of which happened to be at slams (RG-2005 and Wimby-2005).

JUSTINE HARDENNE: 5 Wins / 7 Loses (2-4 in Slams) The first five matches were all won by Lindsay and the last 7 have all been won by Justine. They both bageled one another once in their careers. Lindsay bageled Justine at the US Open winning 6-0,6-4 and Justine returned the favor bageling Lindsay eight years later. Justine leads the H2H on Hard Courts (6-4) and Lindsay leads the H2H on Carpet (indoors) (2-0), they are tied on Clay (1-1) and have never met on grass.

AMELIE MAURESMO: 12 Wins / 4 Loses (1-1 in Slams): It took Lindsay a second to figure Amelie out, but after losing her first two encounters against her, she went on to totally dominate Mauresmo. Lindsay went on to win the next 12 of 13 matches they played, winning 9 straight matches between 2001 and 2006. 14 out of the 16 times they played were QF or later rounds. In the five finals they played against one another, Lindsay won all except for one, their first final in Sydney. Lindsay won ever other final they ever played.

Maria Sharapova: 1 Win / 4 Loses (0-1 in Slams): Every match that Lindsay had ever lost to Sharapova went three sets. The one match that Lindsay won was a severe beat-down where Lindsay didn’t lose a single game to Maria. We all remember the stunning 6-0,6-0 defeat, but the defeat that probably hurts the most was the one at Wimbledon in 2004. Lindsay won the first set and was handling herself fine in the second before the rain Gods interfered. After play resumed Sharapova went on to win 2-6,7-6,6-1. Although Sharapova had the H2H edge whenever they played it was really anyone’s match. They never met one another on clay.

YEAR-END #1
1. Steffi Graf (8 times)
3. Chris Evert (5 times)
4. Lindsay Davenport (4 times)
6. Monica Seles (2 times)
8. Serena Williams (once)

Weeks at #1
1) Steffi Graf-377
3) Chris Evert-262
4) Martina Hingis-209
5) Monica Seles-178
6) Lindsay Davenport-98
7) Serena Williams-57
9) Amelie Mauresmo-39
10) Tracy Austin-22
11) Kim Clijsters-19
12) Jennifer Capriati-17
14) Venus Williams-11
15) Maria Sharapova-7

Although Lindsay didn't play a full schedule her last year on tour, she did manage to dish out more double bagels than any other player this year:
def. Elena Likhovtseva 6-0 6-0 Dubai - R16
def. Ashley Harkleroad 6-0 6-0 Indian Wells - R64
def. Jelena Kostanic 6-0 6-0 US Open - R64

Please feel free to add any other stats re: Lindsay and the other former #1's

Something that I noticed when looking at her stats was how competitive she was against the top players on her worse surface, clay. Of the top players she's played on clay she's tied or leading 7 players in her H2H, while she only trailing 3 players.

Top players she leads or is tied with on clay:

Austin:1-0
Hingis:1-0
JCap:2-0
Venus:1-0
Kim:1-0
JuJu:1-1
MoMo:1-1

These are some of best players on clay, so good for Lindsay!

Top players she trails on clay:

Graf:0-1 (3 set loss)
Sanchez-Vicario:0-3
Serena:0-1

Top players she's never played on clay:

Navratilova:0-0
Seles:0-0
Sharapova:0-0

Career win-loss percentage on each surface:
hardcourt= 80% (.808)
Indoor= 79%(.787)
Grass= 79%(.782)
Clay= 77% (.765)
Carpet= 76%(.775)

Overall she's compiled a 77% winning record on the surface. Although percentage wise it's not her best surface, she's still done better on this surace against the top players than she has on hardcourts.

If I'm inspired I'll get around to doing the same for each surface and update sometime later.

Venus met Lindsay in only 4 finals right?

Martina met Lindsay in 10 finals.

RJWCapriati
Jul 28th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Wonderful job thanks for stats :yeah:

The Daviator
Jul 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Venus met Lindsay in only 4 finals right?

Martina met Lindsay in 10 finals.

They met in 12 finals actually :eek:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks for posting. Sometimes a player has to go away for awhile before you can really look back and appreciate what they have done. When Lindsay was playing in her 20s i basicaly took for granted her stellar success:eek:. I will be 100% behind her when she returns to the courts later this year :bounce:

Hashim.
Jul 28th, 2007, 05:46 PM
:worship:

MistyGrey
Jul 28th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Lindsay! :worship:

btw, wasnt Monica the year end #1 3 times... 91,92 and 95 (co No. 1 with Steffi)

Jakeev
Jul 29th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Would have been rather interesting how Lind's career could have been had she been more devoted to her fitness early on.

Still, her talent was undeniable prior to her first Grand Slam win. Too bad there isn't another Davenport-like player on the rise.

Andrew Laeddis
Jul 29th, 2007, 05:52 AM
can anybody tell me how many of lindsay victories over venus were before 2000 or even 1999. just wondering and the post said one of their matches ended in retirement. who won that match?

Fingernailz
Jul 29th, 2007, 06:13 AM
can anybody tell me how many of lindsay victories over venus were before 2000 or even 1999. just wondering and the post said one of their matches ended in retirement. who won that match?

Lindsay won it, 7-5 2-0. ret. Venus led that match 5-0 in the first set. That was in 2004 in the semifinals of the San Diego tournament.

Lindsay had a winning record against Venus in the 1999 season (3-2), but after that their rivalry became almost all Venus for years. Betwen Wimbledon 2000 and Wimbledon 2003, Venus went 9-1 against Lindsay, her only loss coming in Austria on indoor carpet for the 2000 Linz title. How one-sided was it? Lindsay won only two sets in her nine losses during that span.

But it was Venus' turn to get hurt and struggle after Wimbledon 2003, and Lindsay was able to recover her form enough to return to #1 in 2004 and 2005. During that span, she also turned around her head-to-head with Venus, beginning with winning a tense Stanford final in 2004, 7-6 5-7 7-6. She prevailed the following week in San Diego as I mentioned, and then beat Venus in the fourth round of the US Open in two close, well-played sets. She followed that up with a come-from-behind win in spring 2005 on the clay of Amelia Island (1-6 6-3 6-4). But her run of four straight wins over Venus came to an end in their epic Wimbledon final, the last match they've played.

So. Since the 1999 season, Lindsay is 5-10 against Venus. But as I think I've demonstrated, that record really breaks down into two distinct eras in their rivalry.

Fingernailz
Jul 29th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Would have been rather interesting how Lind's career could have been had she been more devoted to her fitness early on.

Sure. But I think it's more worthy to dwell on how her career could have been if she never suffered that knee injury at the end of 2001. It pretty much compromised the entire 2002 campaign for her, and 2003 was all about working her way back and she didn't get there until 2004. A lot of wasted time and chances there, and it's worth noting that it was a serious injury. People don't give Lindsay much credit for being a good athlete, but getting back to the top after a knee injury like that given her age at the time ... that's impressive.

Sir Stefwhit
Jul 30th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Super stats!

And now she can add to her legacy, as a mom!

Since there isn't a long list of moms that have had a lot of success on tour, Lindsay could actually set a whole new list of records being the first mom "to do this" or "to do that". It should be interesting to see how this comeback plays itself out and the next time she retires, I'll be back to update...

lecciones
Jul 30th, 2007, 12:35 PM
They met in 12 finals actually :eek:

I looked up their head to heads and could only find 4 finals? Am I looking at the wrong place?

joaco
Jul 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I would like to add something really important about those 98 weeks at #1... She was number #1 during:

1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006

This means she was #1 player in the world for at least a few weeks for 8 (eight) seasons! Talk about consistency.

Could someone tell me what other players have achieved this?? Thanks

Joaco

DA FOREHAND
Jul 30th, 2007, 01:28 PM
steffi, martina, ...

venusallday
Jul 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Davenport possesses the best strokes on both sides that the women's games has ever seen. Her power is only rivaled by Venus and Serena's. If Davenport had had their speedy movement, she would have been the best player of all-time!

Matt01
Jul 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Davenport possesses the best strokes on both sides that the women's games has ever seen. Her power is only rivaled by Venus and Serena's. If Davenport had had their speedy movement, she would have been the best player of all-time!

That is absolutely possible...and don't forget her great serve and return :drool: :bowdown:

Sir Stefwhit
Jul 30th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I looked up their head to heads and could only find 4 finals? Am I looking at the wrong place?

You must be looking in the wrong place. Here are a listing of their 12 finals:

1. 1998 Lindsay def. Venus (Stanford) 6-4,5-7,6-4
2. 1998 Lindsay def. Venus (Zurich) 7-5,6-3
3. 1999 Lindsay def. Venus (Standford) 7-6,6-2
4. 1999 Venus def. Lindsay (New Haven) 6-2,7-5
5. 2000 Venus def. Lindsay (Wimbledon) 6-3,7-6
6. 2000 Venus def. Lindsay (Stanford) 6-1,6-4
7. 2000 Venus def. Lindsay (US Open) 6-4,7-5
8. 2000 Lindsay def. Venus (Linz) 6-4,3-6,6-2
9. 2001 Venus def. Lindsay (New Haven) 7-6,6-4
10. 2002 Venus def. Lindsay (New Haven) 7-5,6-0
11. 2004 Lindsay def. Venus (Stanford) 7-6,5-7,7-6
12. 2005 Venus def. Lindsay (Wimbledon) 4-6,7-6,9-7

If Lindsay makes an official return to singles Venus will have a chance to even or pass Lindsay on their overall H2H. Venus isn't trailing too many players, it's impressive for Lindsay that she's one of them. This might be an opportunity for Venus. On the opposite side, although beit minute, Lindsay has a chance to change her H2H with both Sharapova and Justine. It's not likely, but if she squeeze out a couple of wins then you never know...

sfselesfan
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:25 PM
That Tracy stat is arguably disingenous, she was playing for a fluke. I don't really care (never liked Tracy as a player), but to be honest she'd been out for a L O N G time. Comparable to Navratilova playing Serena Williams tomorrow.

SF

LindsayRulz
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I would like to add something really important about those 98 weeks at #1... She was number #1 during:

1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006

This means she was #1 player in the world for at least a few weeks for 8 (eight) seasons! Talk about consistency.

Could someone tell me what other players have achieved this?? Thanks

Joaco

I've looked on Wikipedia and correct me if i'm wrong but I think only Evert, Navratilova and Graf have been ranked #1 in more different seasons than Lindsay.

SelesFan70
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:15 AM
If anyone has that Wimbledon match between Seles/Davenport please let me know. I heard Monica hit some amazing backhands in that match.

LUIS9
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:23 AM
That's true ;)

:eek: @ 5-1 against Kim in Slam events :lol:

This just goes to show how mentally fragile Clijsters was. I wonder what's the stat Clijsters vs Mauresmo head to head at the slams. :tape: :lol:

tennisjunky
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:08 PM
This just goes to show how mentally fragile Clijsters was. I wonder what's the stat Clijsters vs Mauresmo head to head at the slams. :tape: :lol:

lindsay must be mentally fragile too. makes no sense she only won 3 slams in her long career!

when you see these amazing stats from her it just makes you see that she is one of the tour biggest underacheivers. how could she do so many amazing things and be so consistent through the years and only manage to win 3 slams?

she's way more tallented then her number of majors won. she doesn't deserve to be lumped with capriatti, clijsters, mauresmo, and peirce. she should be with seles, hingis, serena, and justine instead.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:31 PM
In my heart, LINDSAY is the BEST player of all time!

DA FOREHAND
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:47 PM
If anyone has that Wimbledon match between Seles/Davenport please let me know. I heard Monica hit some amazing backhands in that match.

I think i have that match somewhere...i've moved a couple of times so not sure i can get my hands on it... where is the tape trading thread?

Davenselesport
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:20 PM
I believe every time Monica beat Lindsay she held off match points.

Sir Stefwhit
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:33 PM
lindsay must be mentally fragile too. makes no sense she only won 3 slams in her long career!

when you see these amazing stats from her it just makes you see that she is one of the tour biggest underacheivers. how could she do so many amazing things and be so consistent through the years and only manage to win 3 slams?

she's way more tallented then her number of majors won. she doesn't deserve to be lumped with capriatti, clijsters, mauresmo, and peirce. she should be with seles, hingis, serena, and justine instead.

I agree that Lindsay probably should have won more than 3 slams, but let's not forget she's faced some of the toughest competition out there. Having to contend with the likes of Steffi, Seles, Serena, Justine, Hingis, Aranxta, and Venus makes things a little hard. With that said, she still had enough game to get a bigger slice of the pie than she did. Lindsay had the strokes, the technique, the accuracy, and the firepower, but sometimes she lacked the heart and the fight. She could be easily overcome with negativity. We also have to remember that it was during the second half of her career that she actually got herself into great shape. Had she done that from day one, who knows...