PDA

View Full Version : After-thoughts.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Now that Lindsay is for the most part retired, and we've all had sometime to let it sink in and stuff. I wanted to get this out of my system.

I would like to believe that if Lindsay hadn't hurt her back as badly as she and/or didn't miss so much time this year, she wouldn't have lost her motivation.

She was out for so long that her ranking fell apart and she just didn't have the heart to try and comeback again. It took her about two years after knee surgery to regain her place in the rankings, it would have taken her at least a year of struggling to get back there and at her age it just wasn't worth it. That's why I think she took the risk on getting pregnant. I think she knew if she did it would give her every reason in the world to quit.
And it apparently didn't take long for her to get pregnant.

That's probably why she played less than stellar in Asia, and why she skipped the indoors.
I also am starting to think that the line of "oh I'm playing next year" was a cover incase the pregnancy didn't hold or that the tour told her to keep quiet until she was ready to speak.

As much as I would have loved to see her soldier on in 2007, I wouldn't want her too suffer a string of early round losses. I didn't want her final moments on tour to horrible matches that made her look like she lost her game.
So this is for the best in the terms of preserving her memory and her legacy to the game.

Even though I do think that her back injury caused a great deal of the final outcome, she did end this on her own terms, and that's the best any professional player in any sport can ask for.

Yet the void she leaves is irreplaceable, like most champions.
My only wish now is that I continue to be able to talk to everyone that posts regularly in this forum. I would hate to see it fade away, when her fans are still here. I enjoy talking to all of you, even the fighting. But all we can do now is look back and smile.

Thank you. :)

LindsayRulz
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I still can't believe I'll never ever see Lindsay on a tennis court again. However, I prefer a happy pregnant Lindsay than a sad Lindsay losing in early round at the Aussie Open Next Year. Tennis is going to be sooooooo boring without her :sad: (my life too :lol:)
Anyway I'm happy to know that the Tower of Power forum isn't going to be deleted.
Finaly Good luck Lindsay with your baby and your new life! :)

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I still can't believe I'll never ever see Lindsay on a tennis court again. However, I prefer a happy pregnant Lindsay than a sad Lindsay losing in early round at the Aussie Open Next Year. Tennis is going to be sooooooo boring without her :sad: (my life too :lol:)
Anyway I'm happy to know that the Tower of Power forum isn't going to be deleted.
Finaly Good luck Lindsay with your baby and your new life! :)

Yeah me too. I would shut everything else down when she was playing most of the time.
I just hope you and the rest of the crew will still around to rehash the past and discuss the good (and argue the bad :lol: ). It wouldn't be TOP without disagreements would it?

And I love your current avatar. Good memories. :)

The Daviator
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I'm still a bit all over the place actually :lol: I guess once I'm used to the fact she's done I'll feel better, it's still weird to think she ain't coming back...

Anyway, in a while we'll all be used to it and will be able to look back and celebrate :) And yes, I hope we all keep this forum going, we can maybe make a countdown to the birth thread, baby name sweepstakes thread, etc. :lol: :o

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I'm still a bit all over the place actually :lol: I guess once I'm used to the fact she's done I'll feel better, it's still weird to think she ain't coming back...

Anyway, in a while we'll all be used to it and will be able to look back and celebrate :) And yes, I hope we all keep this forum going, we can maybe make a countdown to the birth thread, baby name sweepstakes thread, etc. :lol: :o

I'm completely out of wack too. It's just so weird to come in here and realize that there won't be anymore "Lindsay in___________" threads. :sad:

I think it's going to take the first slam without her as a pro for it to totally sink in. I wonder if the wtatour site will do a tribute to her too, but they probably won't until she asks to have her name removed from the rankings. :(

I love the idea for a countdown birth thread and a baby name thread. See if anyone of us gets close the actual name and stuff, and there's always betting on the gender too. :D

LindsayRulz
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Yeah me too. I would shut everything else down when she was playing most of the time.
I just hope you and the rest of the crew will still around to rehash the past and discuss the good (and argue the bad :lol: ). It wouldn't be TOP without disagreements would it?

And I love your current avatar. Good memories. :)

Hell no! :lol:

Lindsayfan32
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:18 PM
If the TOP forum isn't being deleted I'm going no where. I totally agree with you Jeanne that there is still lot we can do here. I have to have an argument with Andrew once in while in just for old tome stake, it just wouldn't be the same if I didn't.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:28 PM
If the TOP forum isn't being deleted I'm going no where. I totally agree with you Jeanne that there is still lot we can do here. I have to have an argument with Andrew once in while in just for old tome stake, it just wouldn't be the same if I didn't.

:lol: That's what I had in mind!
You and him can have at it when rehashing slams Lindsay didn't win and stuff. Ah goodtimes. :)

LindsayRulz
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I'm completely out of wack too. It's just so weird to come in here and realize that there won't be anymore "Lindsay in___________" threads. :sad:

I think it's going to take the first slam without her as a pro for it to totally sink in. I wonder if the wtatour site will do a tribute to her too, but they probably won't until she asks to have her name removed from the rankings. :(

I love the idea for a countdown birth thread and a baby name thread. See if anyone of us gets close the actual name and stuff, and there's always betting on the gender too. :D

http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/500/NewChapter.jpg

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:17 PM
http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/500/NewChapter.jpg

:awww: :awww: :awww: precious.
Erm, I love how she hasn't "officially retired" cute, real cute.

I'm really going to miss her little dance she would do on the baseline while waiting to return serve. It's so cute.

I'll love you forever Lindsay :kiss:

Andrew..
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I think there's a reason she hasn't "officially retired".

I wouldn't be surpirsed to see her whoring up WC's into Cali events in 2008. Or at least playing doubles.

The Daviator
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:07 PM

I wouldn't be surpirsed to see her whoring up WC's into Cali events in 2008. Or at least playing doubles.

Stop getting me excited :lol:

But if you think about it, what stopped her from saying outright 'I'm retiring' :confused: ? I hadn't thought of it until now, but it's strange the way she worded it, anyway, if she comes back I'll pass out :lol:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Stop getting me excited :lol:

But if you think about it, what stopped her from saying outright 'I'm retiring' :confused: ? I hadn't thought of it until now, but it's strange the way she worded it, anyway, if she comes back I'll pass out :lol:

You beat me to it! I was going to say the same thing!

But I understand what you're saying, she did word it oddly. She keeps toying with us!
*puts the 800# back on speed dial* just to be safe. ;)

LindsayRulz
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:18 PM

no please... They will call her Lindsay Navratilova Davenport :tape:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:49 PM

:lol: You know, I think someone mentioned that earlier today.
But hey, if she plays WTT, charity exos, commentates, or takes over the WTA Tour from the inside (and over throws Larry Scott in the process) :angel:, as long as she returns in some capacity I'll be happy. I just don't want her to disappear forever.

LindsayRulz
Dec 15th, 2006, 12:07 AM
:lol: You know, I think someone mentioned that earlier today.
But hey, if she plays WTT, charity exos, commentates, or takes over the WTA Tour from the inside (and over throws Larry Scott in the process) :angel:, as long as she returns in some capacity I'll be happy. I just don't want her to disappear forever.

It's possible lol there is like 15 thread about Lindsay in GM

I would like to see Lindsay in a reality show about her life and Gwen's life :hearts: :lol:

However WTT, charity exos and commentates could be nice too... :rolleyes:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:23 AM

Navratilova retired, though.

Andrew and I were saying Linds could come back after having a kid if she wanted to. She might get insanely bored just looking after it (:p) and decide to comeback for a little while. Taking a like 2 years out and coming back after so long might be great. Hell, she won't even be 35, and could still play amazing tennis. It's not like the WTA is getting any better now.

Lindsay Davenport - 2008 US Open CHAMPION.

Andrew..
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Lindsay's game is one of the least stressful types of games on a player's body. I don't understand why she always got injured. She shouldn't have.

Anyway, with that game, it could be effective into her 40s. It's just a matter of wanting to play.

mike/topgun
Dec 15th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Lindsay's game is one of the least stressful types of games on a player's body. I don't understand why she always got injured. She shouldn't have.

Anyway, with that game, it could be effective into her 40s. It's just a matter of wanting to play.
Becouse she's tall...her coordination is perfect but the type of game- fast and hard - is also tough for anyones body, so it's not that surprising she got injured alot. But in the sense of your opiniom I totally agree.
Earlier I did mention about a possibility of Lindsay coming back just for a goodbye tour in Socal, would it be next year or whenever she's willing/ready.
Then she said she's not intending to play anymore, and that she started her "second life"(that tennis ever was 100% of her life:rolleyes: ), so I'll drop dead if she comes back to play a season, or two. Though, I still count that she's for a goodbye tour in Socal when the baby gets older:)

lindsayno1
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:34 PM
shes heavy!

LethalLindsay
Dec 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I am so all over the place I don't even know how to feel.
Happy for her......yes.

Suicidally, Manically Depressed..............yes

Happy I will never see her play again.........no

hurricanejeanne
Dec 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM
You know I have been thinking about this for some time and I really don't know if it's totally hit her, that her (for the most part) career is over. She said she "doesn't miss [tennis] yet."
It probably won't hit her until the AO.

Reguarding the injuries. I do think that as her career progressed just the wear and tear on her body got to her. I mean, the knee injury was kind of a fluke, just one wrong step and she needed surgery. The nerve thing in her foot came out of no where, I'm not even sure what causes something like that. I do think her back problems and her hip/thigh problems were caused by just wear and tear.

And I still stand by my original opinion that if she didn't hurt her back as bad as she did she would probably be heading to the AO in January. She played on to win another slam and while she won tons of tournaments, she never got that fourth major.

And yeah, I will faint and die of sudden shock if she ever, even came back. (But I would love every second of it.)

MH0861
Dec 15th, 2006, 02:59 PM
You know I have been thinking about this for some time and I really don't know if it's totally hit her, that her (for the most part) career is over. She said she "doesn't miss [tennis] yet."
It probably won't hit her until the AO.

Reguarding the injuries. I do think that as her career progressed just the wear and tear on her body got to her. I mean, the knee injury was kind of a fluke, just one wrong step and she needed surgery. The nerve thing in her foot came out of no where, I'm not even sure what causes something like that. I do think her back problems and her hip/thigh problems were caused by just wear and tear.

And I still stand by my original opinion that if she didn't hurt her back as bad as she did she would probably be heading to the AO in January. She played on to win another slam and while she won tons of tournaments, she never got that fourth major.

And yeah, I will faint and die of sudden shock if she ever, even came back. (But I would love every second of it.)

I wonder, though. It seemed like she didn't really miss the game when she was out in the Spring and through Wimbledon, and that it was her husband who really pushed her to play again in '06. I think she'll definitely miss it - it's been her life for so many years - but I think her baby will make it much, much easier.

As for her back -- you never know what would have happened. Maybe she would have won Wimbledon in '05 and stopped playing at the end of the year. Maybe she would have won the US Open in '05 if she was healthy and played a complete schedule in the summer. And maybe everything still would have worked out as it did anyways.

The Daviator
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I think following her loss to Justine in New York, she realised she was slipping/had slipped back into 2002/2003 form, I remember clearly after the AO loss to Justine in '04 (and it was by a similar scoreline), she said she didn't want to be a 'perennial quarter-finalist', and the retirement rumours surfaced, but suddenly she found form and was challenging for Slams again, and all her losses at the majors were ones she could have won, bar RG '05, I think in '06 she realised that her 'second wind' had subsided, and her chance to win that 4th Slam was gone...

She did say after all that she was only continuing to win another Slam, and since that chance was gone, there wasn't much point in going on really, her only shot was Wimbledon, and even that would have been a some ask, cos I reckon Sharpie's gonna make that event her camp in the coming years :o

hurricanejeanne
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I wonder, though. It seemed like she didn't really miss the game when she was out in the Spring and through Wimbledon, and that it was her husband who really pushed her to play again in '06. I think she'll definitely miss it - it's been her life for so many years - but I think her baby will make it much, much easier.

As for her back -- you never know what would have happened. Maybe she would have won Wimbledon in '05 and stopped playing at the end of the year. Maybe she would have won the US Open in '05 if she was healthy and played a complete schedule in the summer. And maybe everything still would have worked out as it did anyways.

Yeah, but when she did come back, she was asked in New Haven why she had comeback and she said she wasn't sure. That "when she gets home she can't wait to play again" and stuff. I do think the baby will help fill a "void" left by not playing, but even Sampras came back to play some WTT and chariety events. So I'm sure we'll see her again.
(I still want her to commentate though, she'd be so good at it!)

I think if she had won Wimbledon in 2005, and had her back get as bad as it did this season, she would have retired. I think a good chunk of the reason she cameback was to play one more US Open.
There's always going to be a lot of maybes and if she had won's though.
And that's what sucks.

And Dav, I agree, I think she knew in New York that if she wanted to comeback all the way it would take like a year or two to get back what she had lost. And at her age with how often she was getting hurt it was too much.

And if Pova takes over Wimbledon I will vomit.

dav abu
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I'm still not able to write properly about Lindsay going (:sobbing: ) so I'll just post this for now

And now, the end is near,
And so I face the final curtain.
My friends, I'll say it clear;
I'll state my case of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full -
I've travelled each and every highway.
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets? I've had a few,
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course -
Each careful step along the byway,
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew,
When I bit off more than I could chew,
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried,
I've had my fill - my share of losing.
But now, as tears subside,
I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that,
And may I say, not in a shy way -
Oh no. Oh no, not me.
I did it my way.

For what is a man? What has he got?
If not himself - Then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way.

Yes, it was my way.

Robbie.
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I think following her loss to Justine in New York, she realised she was slipping/had slipped back into 2002/2003 form, I remember clearly after the AO loss to Justine in '04 (and it was by a similar scoreline), she said she didn't want to be a 'perennial quarter-finalist', and the retirement rumours surfaced, but suddenly she found form and was challenging for Slams again, and all her losses at the majors were ones she could have won, bar RG '05, I think in '06 she realised that her 'second wind' had subsided, and her chance to win that 4th Slam was gone...

She did say after all that she was only continuing to win another Slam, and since that chance was gone, there wasn't much point in going on really, her only shot was Wimbledon, and even that would have been a some ask, cos I reckon Sharpie's gonna make that event her camp in the coming years :o

I think you are right on the money in everything you say.

It was a mighty second wind that should have delivered her atleast one more major, probably two or three.

It still infuriates me that Mauresmo won two slams this year. I can't get over it. She's no better than she has ever been.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I think you are right on the money in everything you say.

It was a mighty second wind that should have delivered her atleast one more major, probably two or three.

It still infuriates me that Mauresmo won two slams this year. I can't get over it. She's no better than she has ever been.

As it does me as well.
I have nothing against Mauresmo, but I know enough about this sport to know she isn't any better than Lindsay. And I will be uber pissed if she wins a third slam to tie Lindsay, or even a fourth to surpass her.

The state of women's tennis is in a really bad period right now in my opinion. They're changing all these rules trying to help it and I just don't see how it's going to work. I'm almost kind of happy Lindsay got her ass out of here before the shit totally hit the fan.
Also we've been in this transition period for 2 or 3 years now. As has been said only Hingis and the sisters remain of Lindsay's generation. In four years at best, they'll be gone.

Andrew..
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Hingis, if she wants to, could easily play six more years. Venus has serious injury problems - problems which after years of using completely flawed techniques spread throughout her entire game, have finally caughten up with her. I don't know what her story is. As for Serena, if she wants to, she can play, and be #1. But, she's fat, lazy and doesn't care.

Elldee
Dec 17th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Lindsay won't be back... in 2008 she'll probably announce that baby #2 is on the way.

LindsayRocks89
Dec 18th, 2006, 12:15 AM
i'm going to miss you Lindsay. I'm very happy for you, and i hope you will have a healthy baby and have an amazing life with your family.

your legacy will always be remembered Lindsay

PatrickRyan
Dec 18th, 2006, 12:35 AM
it's hard to imagine women's tennis without her. The tour won't be the same :( even thought she's not of of my fav's, i will miss her :sad:

Jessie181
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:58 AM
it's hard to imagine women's tennis without her. The tour won't be the same :( even thought she's not of of my fav's, i will miss her :sad:

Well, even if she wasn't one of my faves (which she is..her and Venus are my two faves), I think it would be hard to see her go because of the great matches she had with a lot of players. The Wimby final last year, her olympic medal win, and a lot of other matches were not only great to see because they brought out the best in Lindsay, but because Lindsay brought out the best in other players (like Venus, Serena, Martina.H, Pierce, Monica, etc.)

As a fan of Lindsay, it's gonna be hard not seeing her play Wimby or the USO..those were always my two favorite grand slams to see her play..

I hope the best for her, she seems to be happy that she's gonna be a mother.

lindsayno1
Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
i dont even care for wimbledon anymore. it was crap this year as it was!!

blumaroo
Jan 4th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Since Justine withdrawed from Aus Open, I can't help but think how this years Aus open would have been a good opportunity for a slam. But then she has a knack for missing big opportunities. :(

MH0861
Jan 4th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Since Justine withdrawed from Aus Open, I can't help but think how this years Aus open would have been a good opportunity for a slam. But then she has a knack for missing big opportunities. :(

So was Wimbledon '04, US Open '04, Australian Open '05, Wimbledon '05, US Open '05. The final slam was just never meant to materialize. :(

LindsayRulz
Jan 4th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Now that Christine is out of the AO, nobody will talk about Lindsay's retirement at the AO.