PDA

View Full Version : Tennis becomes less interesting

Whatzup
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM
With Lindsay Davenport, Kim Clijsters and maybe the Williams sisters who are going to retire I think that tennis become less interesting.
I'm going to miss all those classic matches at Wimbledon and the US Open.
I think tennis was at it highest points some years ago, with Clijsters, Henin, Capriati, Davenport, Williams Sisters, Hingis, Kournikova..
Off courese there are some good new players out there like Sharapova, but the rest is not as interesting as these players were.
Some years ago I watched the Grand Slams, these days I don't watch tennis anymore, too many boring matches and too many players from East Europe that I don't know.

Lindsay congrats with your amazing career, and have a great time with your family! :D

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Hopefully Vee and Ree will stay put for a few more years...:tears: but yeah..that's a lot of GOOD people we're losing :sad:

Andy.
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah we are losing the real personalities, now we just seem to get these production line type players that are like robots. But we still for many years will Have Masha ( the huge star & Glamour girl) and Jankovic (The Diva) , Tati ( A bit of a Diva and Fashionista), Ana( the extreamly beautiful girl next door type) and Nicole (the slightly bratish divaish but very entertaining) all big personalites on the tour as well as Venus and Serena hopefully, but we definatly need an American who will step up, its not the same without them.

Ben.
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:08 AM
yeah, be sad once some of these big names go like lindsay & kim :sad:

but we'll get some up & comers that will make this game become interesting for sure. plus players like ivanovic & others might start to make things interesting you know. but the state of women's tennis at the moment i reckon is still in great tact.

MisterMan
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Tennis is basically all about Maria right now, anyway !
I see her winning 2 or 3 slams this upcoming year. She sees the opening and she's gonna pounce on it !

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Tennis is basically all about Maria right now, anyway !
I see her winning 2 or 3 slams this upcoming year. She sees the opening and she's gonna pounce on it !I don't see it that way.
Sharapova had her chance to be YE #1 at the YEC, and Justine beat her.
Justine beat her at the AO. Mauresmo beat her at Wimbledon.

Maria hasn't shown herself to be #1, unless this year's USO is all that matters.

The sport should be about rivalries at the top.
But the USTA wants to pretend Justine and Amelie don't exist.

MyskinaManiac
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I like seeing new personalities moving up the ranks. If the wtatour promotes the ladies right, we could have five more Maria's and Serena's to a lesser extent. I see a lot of new players that are going to dominate the game. Right now the tour is going through a rough spot, but give it two years, it'll be brilliant.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I don't see it that way.
Sharapova had her chance to be YE #1 at the YEC, and Justine beat her.
Justine beat her at the AO. Mauresmo beat her at Wimbledon.

Maria hasn't shown herself to be #1, unless this year's USO is all that matters.

The sport should be about rivalries at the top.
But the USTA wants to pretend Justine and Amelie don't exist.

God, you're annoying. I guess how Maria dominated the tour after Wimbledon didn't really matter to you, either!

But yeah... it's sad to see Lindsay's generation finally stepping aside and making way for the younger one. 1998-2003 was a great period for the WTA, I'm going to miss that. :sad:

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:09 PM
For US tennis, it's going to be a rough spot for a long time.
But to me, the sport of tennis is great now.
There is nothing in sports more fun than a major. So many matches going on.
I can't wait to see who wins them in 2007.

Sharapova didn't beat Justine or Amelie all year, except at the USO. There was no domination by her.
Nadia beat Justine and Amelie in finals, and won 23 of 24 this spring. No one said she was dominating.

MyskinaManiac
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:15 PM
That's because Myskina was busy dominating.

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM
People throw around the word dominating. Sharapova withdrew from Moscow and beat a Tier III field in Zurich.
She beat 1 YEC player between the USO and the YEC, which she lost.
And she lost to Lena D, lost to Sveta, Dinara, Jackson. Those don't count.
Only Sharapova's wins count.

mashamaniac
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah,though We All Miss Them All,but Instead There Are Still Lots Of Players To Entertain Fans As Well As Them!!:)

Ben.
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Yeah,though We All Miss Them All,but Instead There Are Still Lots Of Players To Entertain Fans As Well As Them!!:)

i agree :D

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:31 PM
It's the way sports is. Players all retire at some point. There are hungry young players who want the money and recognition. And the current stars want to keep winning.

gumoll
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:31 PM
People throw around the word dominating. Sharapova withdrew from Moscow and beat a Tier III field in Zurich.

I really like you :dance:!!!

gumoll
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:33 PM
It's the way sports is. Player retire. There are hungry young players who want the money and recognition. And the current stars want to keep winning.

so it's sport...

Wozniacki, Wozniak, Radwanska sisters, Rezai, Cornet, Russians and many new will show for sure good tennis ;)

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I'm just being realistic. To dominate, she would have to beat Justine and Amelie most of the time.

gumoll
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I'm just being realistic. To dominate, she would have to beat Justine and Amelie most of the time.

you can say only that Federe is dominating

;)

MyskinaManiac
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I think tennis is more interesting with fresher faces. God help me if I had to look at another old sun damaged face. I think 08 will see the Russians stepping up one last time and then the flood-gates will open in 09.

BUBI
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I disagree with the title of this thread...

Sharapova
Hingis
Dementieva
Vaidisova
Chakvetadze
Ivanovic
Myskina
Hantuchova

Future looks good :hearts:

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:48 PM
so it's sport...

Wozniacki, Wozniak, Radwanska sisters, Rezai, Cornet, Russians and many new will show for sure good tennis ;)There are a lot of players who are on the way up. The future looks great and the present is great. :)

MyskinaManiac
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Strike Myskina off that list... she isn't the future, you'll be lucky to get three more years out her.

BUBI
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Strike Myskina off that list... she isn't the future, you'll be lucky to get three more years out her.
You never know... and I wasn't talking about very distant future, those players are top already :)

MyskinaManiac
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:55 PM
You never know... and I wasn't talking about very distant future, those players are top already :)

We're talking about two different futures are we now? You did say "the furture looks good" - implying... whateva.

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I disagree with the title of this thread...

Sharapova
Hingis
Dementieva
Vaidisova
Chakvetadze
Ivanovic
Myskina
Hantuchova

Future looks good :hearts:I know what you mean. The future is 2007.
I want to see if Nadia and Lena can win a major. Among many other players I want to follow.

Crazy_Fool
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:12 PM
i don't find many of these young players very interesting. their games are all the same as well, baseline bashing. would rather henin dominates, but then i am biased.

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM
It seems that all the young kids are being taught baseline bashing.
But as long as Justine and Amelie play all court games, other players will figure out that they have to do more to win.

I think Nadia and Sveta should come to net more. They are excellent doubles players.

miffedmax
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Well, I thought I'd lose interest in the women's side of the game when Martina and Chrissie called it quits.

Not so. It takes some adjustment, but if you continue to follow the sport you'll soon encounter players who charm you for whatever reason and will make you want to follow them.

Personally, I like to follow both the men's and women's game because they both offer a lot. There are times when I follow the women's game more closely, and times I follow the men (for example, Todd Martin's eventual decline and retirement is what allowed my Lena-mania to blossum). But it's always worth paying attention because always an endless supply of villains, prima donnas, girl/boy-next-door types, etc. to capture your attention.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM
God, you're annoying. I guess how Maria dominated the tour after Wimbledon didn't really matter to you, either!

But yeah... it's sad to see Lindsay's generation finally stepping aside and making way for the younger one. 1998-2003 was a great period for the WTA, I'm going to miss that. :sad:

Yeah. It's the an of an era. That generation, the 1997/98-2003 era is pretty much gone now. All that's left is Hingis and the sisters. Mary might not make it all the way back.
We've been in this transistion for a couple of years now, and with Lindsay gone, who less than a better phrase, has been a rock of the women's tour for so long, it just seems to almost if not completely close the curtain on it. :sad:

But like MiffedMax said, it takes time. And while I know in my heart no one can replace Lindsay as my ultimate fave, I'm sure I'll keep kicking around the sport in hopes that someone can fill a second-in-command role.

But then again, there's always video of old classic matches from years gone by. :worship:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:14 PM
For US tennis, it's going to be a rough spot for a long time.
But to me, the sport of tennis is great now.
There is nothing in sports more fun than a major. So many matches going on.
I can't wait to see who wins them in 2007.

Sharapova didn't beat Justine or Amelie all year, except at the USO. There was no domination by her.
Nadia beat Justine and Amelie in finals, and won 23 of 24 this spring. No one said she was dominating.

Tennis sucks now. The quality is hideous, even at the majors. Mauresmo winning two slams in one year should tell you that.

After Wimbledon, she was the best player on tour for the rest of the year. Dominant or not, that doesn't matter; the point I was trying to make was Maria has a great chance at three of the slams next year. If she's playing well, then Mauresmo is toast on anything other than clay. The USO final was a very important match for me - I think Maria will go into their slam matches next year the favourite (except RG, for obvious reasons).

Nadia beat Justine and Amelie in finals, and won 23 of 24 this spring. No one said she was dominating

Of course they did - Nadia dominated the clay season up until RG. She won pretty much everything - all tier I and II events.

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:24 PM
"the point I was trying to make was Maria has a great chance at three of the slams next year"

I think Justine, Amelie and Kim all have around as much of a shot at the AO as Sharapova.
That's what makes it interesting.
But I'm hoping none of them win it. And I think that's possible.

As far as the level of play now, everyone has their opinion.
I enjoy what's out there in today's game.

Sefo
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM
You make it sound as if Sharapova was "helped" a lot this year, goldenlox.

Craigy
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM
The Williams Sisters won't retire any time soon!

Viktymise
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:02 PM
:sad: its very sad the way the older era with Davenport, Capriati, Pierce and Seles is slowly being ushered out with the only exception being Mary, only Hingis, Venus and Serena left really, i think we have a few more yrs with them though ;) plus there are a few exciting youngsters around and coming up, next yr will be interesting, hopefully :D

Viktymise
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM
The Williams Sisters won't retire any time soon!

Exactly, neither have expressed any desire to retire whatsoever, they have a couple of yrs ahead of them me thinks :D

serenafan08
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I think that Serena and Venus will be around for a few more years. The desire hasn't left them yet and they're still pretty young - they're not near 30 yet, so they have some time to hit a late-career stride. But it's sad to see Lindsay go. She will definitely be missed!

pav
Dec 14th, 2006, 05:14 PM
It's like I've said before it is the same with dogs, pig dogs, sheep dogs, cattle dogs, the best one gets killed by a pig, has to be shot, or sometimes gets old and retires and you think it is the end of the world:sad: but always a younger one seems to step up and take it's place.
The old one lives on in memories and stories for a while, like the time it lifted its leg and pissed on the grumpy old head shepherd's shirt when he'd thrown it down against a post one day, but what the present lot are doing right or wrong takes over your mind, and I think it is the same with players

Uranus
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I agree :sad:

It'll be annoying with Sharapova vs. Henin-Hardenne vs. Mauresmo, like it was this year...

!<blocparty>!
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:01 PM
"the point I was trying to make was Maria has a great chance at three of the slams next year"

I think Justine, Amelie and Kim all have around as much of a shot at the AO as Sharapova.
That's what makes it interesting.
But I'm hoping none of them win it. And I think that's possible.

As far as the level of play now, everyone has their opinion.
I enjoy what's out there in today's game.

Amelie and KIM?! :unsure: Justine and Maria are the clear favorites.

LoveFifteen
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Kim Clijsters is done for.

PLP
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:24 PM
With Lindsay Davenport, Kim Clijsters and maybe the Williams sisters who are going to retire I think that tennis become less interesting.
I'm going to miss all those classic matches at Wimbledon and the US Open.
I think tennis was at it highest points some years ago, with Clijsters, Henin, Capriati, Davenport, Williams Sisters, Hingis, Kournikova..
Off course there are some good new players out there like Sharapova, but the rest is not as interesting as these players were.
Some years ago I watched the Grand Slams, these days I don't watch tennis anymore, too many boring matches and too many players from East Europe that I don't know.

Lindsay congrats with your amazing career, and have a great time with your family! :D

I know what you're saying and I agree but it's not all bad news:

Martina Hingis is back and playing well, Serena and Venus will not be retiring anytime soon IMO...I really see the 3 of them having a resurgent year and adding more to the tour this year. The Henin/Momo Wimbledon final was a terrific match, hopefully there will be more greatness from them to come!
Masha played like she meant it in the 2nd half of the year. Nikki, Anna C., Tati, Jelena J., and Ana I. all have very interesting games and personalities, as well as other young players. We have Kim for another year. Not to mention, Nadia, Elena, Patty, etc.,...2007 could be an incredible year! :wavey:

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:25 PM
It's Kim's last year. I think she'll give it a good shot.
Amelie won the AO this year, but Kim retired in her semi. Kim likes that surface.

WIMBLY2004
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:28 PM

wow, you are fudging facts again! You should be a politician:eek:

How about she won Linz beating two top 10 players and a top 20. How about she beat all players in her group in YEC. You must be thinking "Oh, no, that would make Maria look good, I have to omit it."

How about she met only 1 YEC player in match between the USO and the YEC as many of those players were not playing, and good on her for beating the one she met handily.

And when you were talking about Maria's performance in fall, why did you suddenly change topic to list players she lost earlier the year? Is that because you could't find any Russian players that beat her in fall? Who said Maria dominated when she lost to those players? Those losses don't count because those did not happen in fall.

As Maria lost to Justine in YEC, I don't think she dominated in fall either, but the way you put things together in a twisted way to put down Maria is just disgusting.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Kim Clijsters is done for.

Yup. Oh well.

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM
As Maria lost to Justine in YEC, I don't think she dominated in fall either...Okay

WIMBLY2004
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Okay

So you agree the way you were fudging facts to put down Maria was disgusting then ;)

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:39 PM
No, I think to dominate, you have to beat the best players most of the time. Maria didn't against Justine and Amelie.

WIMBLY2004
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:48 PM
No, I think to dominate, you have to beat the best players most of the time. Maria didn't against Justine and Amelie.

Then you could've simply said that instead of making nonsense like the players she lost earlier this year or withdrawing from Moscow. But maybe by saying this only you wouldn't feel enough to put down Maria, so...

And by the way, Maria didn't lost to Mauresmo in fall, her loss happened earlier, so it should not be counted in this discussion.

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Maria had no claim to being the best player leaving Wimbledon. None. She had won 1 tournament this year.
Then she had better results, but only beat Justine and Amelie in NY.
Amelie and Justine both did more this year, and weren't consistently getting beat by Sharapova after Wimbledon. They both had injury problems, and missed most of the USO series and most of the indoor season.

WIMBLY2004
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Maria had no claim to being the best player leaving Wimbledon. None. She had won 1 tournament this year.

Wow, how original of you to say that:eek: Has anyone ever said anything close to Maria being the best player before US hard court season? :weirdo:

What a figher of you, fighting agaist of nobody:rolleyes:

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I'm not fighting. People like to rewrite history.
Amelie and Justine were fighting injuries the whole second half of the year.
What Justine did was amazing. She wouldn't have played the YEC except for how important it was.
Amelie also only played it because of it's importance.
And they both made the finals, just like the AO and Wimbledon.

WIMBLY2004
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I'm not fighting. People like to rewrite history.

You mean like what you do all the time? Arranging facts in a twisted way to give false impression?;)

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:37 PM
It might seem twisted to you, but you can believe anything you want.

WIMBLY2004
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM
It might seem twisted to you, but you can believe anything you want.

Well, either it was twisted or you had a distorted logic, only you know the answer:lol:

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM
It's twisted to you, a mashabator. You talk like you have no bias in this conversation.

Neptune
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM

Yes,I agree with yours statements. :)

saki
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I'm really looking forward to 2007. Unless you're an American tennis fan, it's looking very good. Maria/Justine could become a very compelling rivalry. Then there are lots of interesting questions - Will Amelie win more Slams? Will Kim have a good final year? Will Venus and/or Serena return to the top? Will Hingis become a GS contender? Will Petrova keep her head together? Will Sveta continue to improve? There are a lot of rising stars that are interesting to watch - Anna C, Jankovic, Radwanska - with different game styles.

adam_ads_n
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I cannot agree it will become less interesting. Maybe for some American people - it will. But you should see that we will have a lot of new stars who may have their breakthrough season next year. They are mostly 17-22 y.o. (Krajicek, Golovin, Chakvetadze etc. - they all can reach top 10)

I wonder why everyone mention Maria. She is not the only one to look at. Next season can be good for others like Petrova, Mauresmo, Henin, Dementieva, Kuznetsova (yes she is STILL young), also Peer, Na Li etc. There are so many to mention.

Sefo
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:55 PM
No, Sharapova hasn't dominate this year, but nor did Justine or Amelie. There's no such thing like 'Federer of the WTA' yet. but why I bring out Federer? There's no such thing like Graf yet. The reason people tend to believe Sharapova dominate the season is because she was seen playing most of the time, she's very popular due to endorsements and because of her attitude on court, fighting spirit, guts, noise, a winner's attitude.

frenchie
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I agree with you sooo much
2006 was horrible

Ben.
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:13 PM
2006 wasn't horrible. I thought it was exciting & top notch :yeah:

WIMBLY2004
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:14 PM
It's twisted to you, a mashabator. You talk like you have no bias in this conversation.

Have to go down to personal attack now?:lol:

Andy.
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I'm really looking forward to 2007. Unless you're an American tennis fan, it's looking very good. Maria/Justine could become a very compelling rivalry. Then there are lots of interesting questions - Will Amelie win more Slams? Will Kim have a good final year? Will Venus and/or Serena return to the top? Will Hingis become a GS contender? Will Petrova keep her head together? Will Sveta continue to improve? There are a lot of rising stars that are interesting to watch - Anna C, Jankovic, Radwanska - with different game styles.
When you put it into words like that, yeah we have an awesome few years to look foreward to. Justine v Maria could become one of the great tennis rivalries, both of them want victory more than anyone and are the best fighters in the game.

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Have to go down to personal attack now?:lol:
That's all you do. I decided to drop to your level for a second.

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I cannot agree it will become less interesting. Maybe for some American people - it will. But you should see that we will have a lot of new stars who may have their breakthrough season next year. They are mostly 17-22 y.o. (Krajicek, Golovin, Chakvetadze etc. - they all can reach top 10)

I wonder why everyone mention Maria. She is not the only one to look at. Next season can be good for others like Petrova, Mauresmo, Henin, Dementieva, Kuznetsova (yes she is STILL young), also Peer, Na Li etc. There are so many to mention.I agree. No one was predicting Amelie would win 2 majors when the year started.
There'll be plenty of surprises in 2007.

Nicolás89
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:24 PM
i think the opposite i think that now is more interesting watch new players and news rivalrys, 2006 was the first year that i watch the full season so for me its getting more interesting with every second:wavey:

UDACHi
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:01 PM
people should just accept that a new generation is on the rise. did you expect the williams sisters, seles, davenport, etc. to still be dominating after like 10 years?

Derek.
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I don't get how anyone can think tennis is becoming less interesting.

There are so many players who are just getting started...

Maria Sharapova
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Nicole Vaidisova
Dinara Safina
Jelena Jankovic
Anna Chakvetadze
Ana Ivanovic
Maria Kirilenko
Michaella Krajicek
Agnieszka Radwanska
Viktoria Azarenka
Sania Mirza
Olga Poutchkova
Caroline Wozniacki
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
Tamira Paszek
Urszula Radwanska
Dominika Cibulkova
Lauren Albanese
Sorana-Mihaela Cirstea
Anna Tatishvili
Raluca-Ioana Olaru
Tatiana Malek
Aravane Rezai
Viktoriya Kutuzova

So many young, talented players are just starting their careers. :)

star
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:52 PM
It's sad to lose some of the players, but there are still plenty of good ones around to keep tennis interesting, for me at least.

Ntour
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:18 AM

people tend to forget (especially commentators and WTA officials that, Maria beat a clearly struggling (physically) henin-hardenne in the US final and the titles after that were rather weak fields, she is nowhere near dominating.

yeah she beat lots of lower ranked players in zurich and linz no really impressive wins, and once she comes up against one of the elite guess what happens? she loses

Sharapova is far from domination, she'll lose to justine several times next year at the slams, (i think the first will be AO final)

Brooklyn90
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Seles Capriati and now Lindsay :( an era of tennis is dying out Just like Agassi ended the men of the 80's and 90's and now the women of the 90's are now almost all gone :(
oh and Clijsters

UDACHi
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:22 AM
people tend to forget (especially commentators and WTA officials that, Maria beat a clearly struggling (physically) henin-hardenne in the US final and the titles after that were rather weak fields, she is nowhere near dominating.

yeah she beat lots of lower ranked players in zurich and linz no really impressive wins, and once she comes up against one of the elite guess what happens? she loses

Sharapova is far from domination, she'll lose to justine several times next year at the slams, (i think the first will be AO final)

in the second half of the season, maria defeated clijsters twice, mauresmo, henin-hardenne, dementieva, kuznetsova, and petrova, along with various other top 20 players.

Ntour
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Sharapova came into the YEC fully prepared and in top form, justine came in off an injury and having not played since fed cup final

justine beat sharapova in straight sets

goldenlox
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:27 AM
After Wimbledon, all Justine did was win New Haven make the USOfinal, and win the YEC.
She didn't play between Wimbledon and New Haven. After the USO she tried playing Fed Cup, but couldn't finish.
She had major health problems, but still got her YE #1.
Amelie also had heath issues stopping her all summer and fall.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Tennis becomes less interesting? Nope....

You have Sharapova, Justine, Amelie, Myskina, Hingis, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, Vaidisova, Kim (until next year anyway), Daniela, Dementieva, Golovin, Kirilenko and many other talented players to choose from....

... or if you are a Patriot, there's still Serena and Venus (they're still playing).

Just that one or two players have retired, it doesn't mean that tennis is getting less interesting. I certainly don't think so :wavey:

Diediediediebark
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Hingis and Sharapova are still here. And plus, Dementieva spicies things up with her comments. And Patty Schnyder :worship:

Ntour
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:38 AM
in the second half of the season, maria defeated clijsters twice, mauresmo, henin-hardenne, dementieva, kuznetsova, and petrova, along with various other top 20 players.

my point is her zurich and linz titles were quite weak

In Zurich she beat: Peer, Bacsinszky, Srebotnik, and Hantuchova (not exactly strong for a tier 1)

and in Linz she beat : Danilidou, ivanovic, schnyder and Petrova
(not really that strong either, schnyder has never threatened sharapova and petrova has a huge mental block against her)

and justine only played 3 tournaments in the second half of the year and she beat
Kuznetsova, Davenport twice, petrova, mauresmo, Sharapova, Hingis and other top 20 players

doesn't really look like domination to me

goldenlox
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:42 AM
There is no doubt about it. Justine was still piling up great results after Wimbledon, during Wimbledon and before Wimbledon.
It's just that after Wimbledon, she wasn't healthy enough to get on the court much.

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:45 AM

Then WTF are Clijsters and Kuznetsova? Amateurs? :confused:

Ntour
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:45 AM
what are we even talking about, all these players were practically retired this season

Williams sisters hardly played, Clijsters was out with injury most of the season, Davenport hardly played therefore tennis will be pretty much as it was this season when they retire.

and this season wasn't that bad, nobody dominated clearly as an individual bat amelie justine and maria as a trio dominated most of the tour.

I think the sharapova jsutine rivalry will develop further next year...

I'm looking forward to some interesting battles between these two.
plus there are the likes of jankovic invanovic and vaidisova who are all close to top 10, and you never really know with sveta and dementieva, and of course petrova can be a force, and hingis is improving so I think tennis will be as exciting as ever!

Ntour
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Then WTF are Clijsters and Kuzetsova? Amateurs? :confused:

well this year I wouldn't class clijsters and kuznetsova as elite, normally i would put clijsters up there but this year she was injured too often

the current elite are amelie, justine, and maria they are streaks ahead of everyone else at the moment, partly due to injuries

saki
Dec 15th, 2006, 02:02 AM
In this thread, there appear to be people arguing that Maria didn't dominate but no-one is actually saying that she did. Maria won her second GS in very impressive style - beating Amelie and Justine - that will be the big thing that she will take from 2006, not a couple of weak indoor tournaments. It's promising for her future career that she managed such a long winning streak because consistency is important but it wasn't really 'domination.'