PDA

View Full Version : Prattasaurus not retiring just yet!!!

AUSBOY
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Pratt to try one more tour

By Paul Malone
December 14, 2006
AUSTRALIA'S No.2 ranked female player, Nicole Pratt, has reconsidered plans to make this summer her Australian farewell tour of duty.

Pratt, 33, had been eyeing retirement in the second half of 2007 to step into a new career as a travelling coach.

But the Queenslander, one of only three Australian players ranked in the top 100 of the women's and men's tours, has been re-energised by her improved results late this year and a determined off-season of training in Florida.

Pratt won through qualifying rounds for both Wimbledon and the US Open and reached her first WTA Tour tier-one quarter-final to finish the year ranked No.78.

The Australian Fed Cup team stalwart said she hoped she would be given a wildcard into her home state tournament, the Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourt titles, at the Gold Coast from December 31-January 6.

Tennis Australia director of player development Craig Tiley said yesterday that Pratt met the first of five-point wildcard criteria for Australian Open lead-up tournaments by having a ranking high enough to give her direct entry into the Australian Open from January 15-28.

Pratt said: "I am planning on playing the Gold Coast. I would hope that I am considered for a wildcard but obviously that all depends on Tennis Australia.
"I am not sure if it's my last Australian summer now. I still think I have the energy and desire needed."

AyumiMorita
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:15 PM
never a big fan of pratt's
kinda want her to retire
but hey if you are in shape (pretty good for a 33 year old) why not continue?

Martian Stacey
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I think it would be fitting for her to have the Aus Open as her last tournament

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I think it would be fitting for her to have the Aus Open as her last tournament

I have a feeling she'll retire at the AO in '08. Nicole is not going to commit to half a year. She'll see this one out and if she needs a wild card for next year's Aussie Open, she'll get one without question.

I like Nicole, but she's in for a world of disappointment. The bottom line is that her much improved ranking came off incredibly fortunate and sometimes fluky draws (Gadjosova and coming back from injury Golovin at Wimbledon, not beating a single top 100 player to reach the quarters of a Tier I, and then drawing a lucky loser at the first round of the US Open).

Luckily she's got little to defend until Wimbledon so she can build up a base, but that ranking is going to tumble once the summer season hits.

égalité
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:12 AM
She can't retire outside of the Top 50! SHE'S GOING TO WIN THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN AND GET INSIDE THE TOP 50 AND THEN RETIRE.

Wannabeknowitall
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:19 AM
She can't retire outside of the Top 50! SHE'S GOING TO WIN THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN AND GET INSIDE THE TOP 50 AND THEN RETIRE.

Shhh. She might be one of those players who actually reads this forum.
That statement could be enough for Pratty to never retire.

switz
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Pratt really just needs good draws. Most of the girls in the top 100 have a lot more ability than her but fortunately for her they don't know what to do when there not striking the ball well so a player like Pratt just puts it back as many times as possible and invariably has a shot to win against a lot of them because of that.

she would be smart to retire midway through the year because there's good chance she'll be top 50ish but i guess it's her call because she'd want to get as many good results as possible given she hasn't had that many.

AUSBOY
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:31 AM
I have a feeling she'll retire at the AO in '08. Nicole is not going to commit to half a year. She'll see this one out and if she needs a wild card for next year's Aussie Open, she'll get one without question.

I like Nicole, but she's in for a world of disappointment. The bottom line is that her much improved ranking came off incredibly fortunate and sometimes fluky draws (Gadjosova and coming back from injury Golovin at Wimbledon, not beating a single top 100 player to reach the quarters of a Tier I, and then drawing a lucky loser at the first round of the US Open).

Luckily she's got little to defend until Wimbledon so she can build up a base, but that ranking is going to tumble once the summer season hits.

Give her a break! For starters at Wimbledon she stunned a red hot Vakulenko in final round of qualies. Then at Montreal she beat 55th ranked Schruff in final round qualies. Then she was the LL into US Open, she didnt play one.

Sure she had some good draws that opened up when seeds like Na Li got beaten, but she can only beat who she's up against.

Ben.
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:32 AM
well i'm not a big fan of pratt (even though i'm aussie), but however it would be good if she could play one more year on the tour in 2007 & give it one more crack at possibly finishing in the top 50 then retire at the Aussie Open in 2008. but that's how i feel personally though.

for her to finish in the top 50 at the end of 2007 (if she wants to) she'll need to have draws going in her favour & count on opponents to make mistakes on shots that would be winners for them basically. her gamestyle is based on counterpunching & consistency by just placing the ball back in play & waiting for an UE. that's why i have never been such a big fan of her's besides other things.

Drake1980
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Keep going Nicole! Why not?

Rtael
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:45 AM
:rolleyes: at the people in this thread. Do you just get off on dissing players who are better at tennis than you ever will be?

Ben.
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:34 AM
well whatever happens, pratt has had a better career than many others who tried to make the big stages of women's tennis.

Verdasco
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Omg this is terrible news. Nicole is fat, old and slow. All she does is keep the ball in play and waits for her opponent to miss. When she beat Golovin at Wimbledon her reaction was just stupid. She acted as if she had won the tournament.

hdfb
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Well........ she had barely ever made it past the first round before... so I can understand her elation.............

However I really don't like Pratt..... so boring.... but if she wants to stay then I am more than happy to turn a blind eye.

MyskinaManiac
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:34 AM
She reminds me of a man trapped in a womens body.

rockstar
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:32 AM
She reminds me of a man trapped in a womens body.

i second that :tape:

AUSBOY
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Gees you are all so negative, when did u last see her play? Her weakness is her serve, its shit, but she can counterpunch pretty good, she's a fighter, runs everything down, and she at least dives for balls, good entertainment if you ask me!

Her win against Golovin was good for her mentally as Golovin had beaten her earlier in the year, and Pratt was excited as grass is her worst surface.

I think its great that she wants to crack the top 50 again as a 33yo! Not mainly players have been able to do that. She's doing better than Obziler at least.

hdfb
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:09 AM
good entertainment??????? did you just call pratt good entertainment???????? :eek:

i can not bash Pratt, and I won't, but she is not good entertainment!!!

Farina Elia Fan
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:25 AM
keep going Nicole - I saw her play Venus the year she won it and played great tennis!!!

She signed an autograph for me aswell even though she lost - not many do!

aussie_fan
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Omg this is terrible news. Nicole is fat, old and slow. All she does is keep the ball in play and waits for her opponent to miss. When she beat Golovin at Wimbledon her reaction was just stupid. She acted as if she had won the tournament.

after looking out of it 6 months ago before that, i don't blame her at all.

Ellery
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM
:woohoo: Great news :D

louloubelle
Dec 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Ellery :wavey:

Nicole brings out the worst in people. She's someone who dedicates herself fully to something and has gotten results far beyond what she should be capable of. The people that diss her, wish they could do the same, but don't have the heart and guts to even try. :rolleyes:

BUT Id hate for Nic to struggle through 2007. Her results haven't been flash and she really can't cut it with the top 50 anymore. Id think that finishing in the top 100 and playing your last match at a grand slam is a fitting end for such a dogged, professional and articulate person.