PDA

View Full Version : Davenport: I have "no plans to play again"

Andrew..
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:43 PM
For Davenport, pregnancy starts new chapter in life

By Bonnie DeSimone
Special to ESPN.com

Three-time Grand Slam winner Lindsay Davenport, who is expecting her first child next spring, told ESPN.com on Wednesday that her priorities will shift to family and she has "no plans to play again."
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/1213/ten_w_davenport_195.jpg

In what might have been the last Grand Slam of her career, Lindsay Davenport waves to the crowd after losing to Justine Henin-Hardenne at the 2006 U.S. Open.

"I hate the word 'retirement,' but this season was such a struggle physically for me, and I can't imagine playing again," Davenport said by phone from her home in Southern California. "I can't say there's any sadness, yet, about missing tennis. My life is with my husband and my future child.
"I feel like the second part of my life is about to begin, and I feel so lucky that if everything goes well, I'm able to go out like this. The timing couldn't be better."
Davenport, 30, missed much of the 2006 season with chronic back pain. She returned to play several late-season tournaments, reaching the final at New Haven and the U.S. Open quarterfinals, and was noncommittal about her playing future throughout the summer and fall. She finished the season as the top-ranked U.S. woman at No. 25.
On Wednesday, Davenport sounded elated about imminent motherhood and unfazed at the prospect of ending her distinguished 15-year career. She said she and her husband of three years, former USC All-American Jon Leach, weren't planning for a pregnancy but took the if-it-happens, we'll-be-happy approach.
Aside from fatigue, she said she feels great physically. "It's been wonderful," said Davenport, who said she is due in May. "I'm blessed -- both my mom and my sisters had easy pregnancies. It's just been hard not telling people."
Davenport was still keeping mum when she flew to the East Coast last week to participate in two exhibition events for charity. In Baltimore, where she played mixed doubles with Mike Bryan against Martina Navratilova and Bob Bryan at Pam Shriver's annual benefit, she reflected on the constant questions she fielded late this season.
"It's a little bit my fault," Davenport said last week. "I was probably a little bit too honest with my feelings throughout the years. There's no question after you've played so many years that you go up and down with your motivation."

"I hate the word 'retirement,' but this season was such a struggle physically for me, and I can't imagine playing again." -- Lindsay Davenport

Davenport openly talked about quitting a couple of seasons ago because of the wear and tear and her desire to start a family. She half-wishes now that she had kept her thoughts to herself.
"For the two and a half years since then, I've been dealing with it," she said. "It didn't matter how I did. … 'So if you win here, are you going to retire? If you lose here, are you going to retire?'
"But there's some truth in that I've been playing 15 years and me talking about it gives [reporters] some credibility to talk about it."
At the U.S. Open, Davenport sometimes felt she was being pushed to join Andre Agassi and Martina Navratilova, who took their final curtain calls there. "I was sitting there, like, 'This might be my last Open, it might not,'" she said. "'I'm not tricking you guys, I just have no plans.'
"I had a great time playing. I was really glad I was able to get healthy and play there. … We were talking about Mary [Pierce] and Jennifer [Capriati]. That's a position I'm very happy I'm not in."
Pierce and Capriati, whose playing futures are threatened by serious injuries, were among Davenport's top contemporaries in a pro career that began in 1993.
Davenport, a tall, good-natured Los Angeles-area native and daughter of two volleyball enthusiasts, was one of several players who ushered in an era of power tennis in the women's game of the late 1990s. Her balanced game and low-key, modest personality made her a popular and admired player on the women's tour.

She won 51 singles titles -- ninth on the all-time list -- captured the WTA's year-end championships in 1999 and finished atop the tour's year-end rankings four times, in 1998, 2001, 2004 and 2005. She also played doubles for most of her career and earned Grand Slam doubles championships on three surfaces.
She won the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open singles titles in a three-year stretch from 1998 to 2000, along with an Olympic gold medal in 1996. Injuries sidelined her for much of the 2002 season, but she came back to have sensational years in 2004 and 2005, winning 13 tournaments.
Davenport played in two Grand Slam finals in 2005 and her loss to Venus Williams at Wimbledon that summer was both the longest-ever championship match in that tournament's history and one of the most taut, exciting women's matches in recent memory.
"I'm excited for her," U.S. Fed Cup captain Zina Garrison said. "She's very family-oriented, has a great, close-knit family. I don't think she would have any regrets. She can walk away knowing she gave her all."

The Daviator
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for posting this :) Bittersweet...

Paneru
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I'd say, final conformation.
However, just because she can't imagine
playing again, doesn't mean she may not
get the itch to play again.

Yet, starting this new chapter in her life with
she and her husband having their 1st child is
something truly amazing. :D

All the best to Lindsay and the new welcomed
addition to her immediate family. :wavey:

jimbo mack
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:49 PM
well that confirms it

lindsay, as much as you may hate the retirement word, you have officially retired

hurricanejeanne
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I also posted this in TOP.

It's over. I'm just so heartbroken to have to say goodbye. I'll love her forever though. And no one is taking her place damnit.

Drake1980
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:55 PM
:eek: :sad:

PLP
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I read this earlier today and didn't have the heart to post it. :sad:

But it's bittersweet because she has wanted kids for a few years and she is going to be a fantastic mom!

Andy.
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Fantastic article thanks for posting

kittyking
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM
2 greats of tennis retiring then, both for good reasons though. Far better retiring from tennis for a family than because of injury.

pooh14
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:59 PM
i am not a great lindsay fan, but i really feel sad of the retirement :(

she is one of the best player in the generation, so it is going to be a big gap :(

AyumiMorita
she is one of the nicest tennis players of all time
never wanted the limelight, but shined with each victory
good for you lindsay!

commentator? she'd be a good one for sure!

kiwifan
I hope she writes a tell all book; she was getting pretty "feisty" with the establishment in her last year on tour. :devil:

vw.

Bittersweet indeed.. :sad:

stevos
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:01 PM
:sobbing: Lindsay, so we got the comment now. It's over.

hdfb
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Well, I wish her all the best. I am glad she has found happiness beyond tennis... And I guess we all just want to be happy with ourselves. If Davenport has found that state of bliss, I wish her the very best.

Ferosh
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:42 PM
A true pioneer in tennis calls it a career. Davenport will be missed sorely. :sobbing:

-jenks-
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Have a great life Lindsay! :D

Maybe we will see you child playing in about 15 years! ;)

mr_burns
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Thank U so much, nothing more to say

All the best and love

MisterQ
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Sad to see her leave the courts... happy to see her so excited about the future. :)

Although there were some disappointments along the way... what a career she made for herself. :worship: And she did it in a strong, intelligent, thoughtful, respectable way.

venus_rulez
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Man I'm really going to miss Lindsay. Her match with Venus at Wimbledon in 2005 will forever go down as one of the classics and she can hang her head proud that on a tour of catty, bitchy, selfish women, she always held her head high and more times than not took the personable approach. She was an outstanding role model and athlete for the WTA Tour and I'm really going to miss her. However, as so many have said, from the beginning tennis is only a part of your life for a few years and now she is moving on to enjoy her life away from the court with her family. I wish her all the best in her future and hope even more success in her private life than she had on the court during her very decorated career. To a true champion :worship:

venus_rulez
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Man I'm really going to miss Lindsay. Her match with Venus at Wimbledon in 2005 will forever go down as one of the classics and she can hold her head proud that on a tour of catty, bitchy, selfish women, she always held her head high and more times than not took the personable approach. She was an outstanding role model and athlete for the WTA Tour and I'm really going to miss her. However, as so many have said, from the beginning tennis is only a part of your life for a few years and now she is moving on to enjoy her life away from the court with her family. I wish her all the best in her future and hope even more success in her private life than she had on the court during her very decorated career. To a true champion :worship:

Sally Struthers
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:06 AM
you've had a wonderful career Lindsay! Good luck with the baby! :kiss:

hu2891601
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Awwwww......... I love Lindsay, but oh well, good luck to her in the future..

One thing i don't get.. since the child is due next May, that means she's been pregnant for 4 or even 5 months already, so how can she still played the exhibition match last week?? she needs to be careful.. i think.. or is it kinda normal for people to play when they're pregnant for 4-5 months??

blumaroo
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:24 AM
It's so painful to see my only true fave go. It's so sudden.
Sigh.
All the best Lindsay :worship:

The Daviator
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Awwwww......... I love Lindsay, but oh well, good luck to her in the future..

One thing i don't get.. since the child is due next May, that means she's been pregnant for 4 or even 5 months already, so how can she still played the exhibition match last week?? she needs to be careful.. i think.. or is it kinda normal for people to play when they're pregnant for 4-5 months??

The baby could be due in late May, so she's probably around 3 months gone now :) That's usually when it's announced too...

Mileen
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I feel sad .... that an era's gone by. I will miss Lindsay a lot! I'm happy for her she's expecting her first child and starting a family. Indeed, she can say goodbye knowing she gave her all (not true for Kim).

Lindsay, waiting for you to comment and hoping to see you again!

steffiforever
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Very sad and happy day indeed:(:)
I have been watching tennis since 1990 and remember the early days of Lindsay. She was overweight and slow on court but boy could she hit the ball harder than anyone. Its been a joy to go through her career from start to finish and "oh my" that 2005 Wimbledon final I don't think any of us will forget. What a heartbreaker of a classic match that hopefully one day Lindz can watch with a smile:)

RJWCapriati
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:38 AM
:sad: Very sad....I wish she could have had a farewell year.

brent-o
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Man, the women's tour is getting baren. Davenport "not playing again", Pierce possibly not gonna be able to play again, Seles and Capriati looking like they won't be making a return, and Kimmie after next year. And two of my faves (Agassi and Davenport) going away in the same year too. They showed a clip of Davenport slamming a forehand on the news when they were announcing the story of her retirement. I almost cried knowing I'd never see such beautifully struck strokes again. Eh well, hope she has a healthy baby and she enjoys the second phase of her life.

40-0
Dec 14th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Oh nooo I cant believe it!!! Lindsay Im gonna miss ur power strokes!!!

LadyLil
Dec 14th, 2006, 01:18 AM
She will be missed. At least her departure is a happy one for her.

pooh14
Dec 14th, 2006, 01:39 AM
2 of the nicest player are leaving, lindsay and kim :(

strictennis
Dec 14th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Linsdsay! YOU'LL BE MISSED!!
i <3 you! congrats on your baby!
thanks for bringing me joy whenever i watch you play!

x

Wannabeknowitall
Dec 14th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Part of me hoped she would give it one last go but you could tell she didn't have it anymore.
I'll always remember that match she played against Srebotnik at the US Open.
It paraelled her career and in the end she came out a winner.
She'll always be a winner and I can't wait to be in R.I. in 2011 to see her induction.

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:06 AM
I'm not a fan of Lindsay, but I'll definitely miss her playing. :sad:

Best of luck with everything in the future. :hug:

Havok
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Lindsay :sad:, you'll be missed. One of THE greatest ball strikers of all time, and I'm sure ever period because I doubt many more people in the future will be able to hit a better ball that she. I'm sure Lindsay will be an incredible mom too! All the best.

Billabong
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:31 AM
She's always been on the scene since I follow tennis, she'll be deeply missed:sad:

Miranda
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:34 AM
bye bye Lindsay, good luck to you :sad: :kiss:

Ben.
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:39 AM
lindsay, you shall be greatly missed :sad: enjoy your future life ahead of you with your husband & new born child :)

LefandePatty
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Lindsay :crying2:

rockstar
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:18 AM
bittersweet for me too.

i'm sad she's gone, but at least i'm glad she ended on a pretty high note, it's time for more rising stars to emerge.

Jeff
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Wow, I didn't see it ending this way, although it's fitting for Lindsay. She is one of those stars that has been around since I began watching tennis and it's hard imagine it without her. Wow...Lindsay is going to be a mom :eek: Congrats to her.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Part of me hoped she would give it one last go but you could tell she didn't have it anymore.
I'll always remember that match she played against Srebotnik at the US Open.
It paraelled her career and in the end she came out a winner.
She'll always be a winner and I can't wait to be in R.I. in 2011 to see her induction.

:worship:
You always speak so wonderfully about her. I love fans like you. I have always loved your posts about Lindsay. They're always though out and sweet.
I think the most important thing for us, as her fans is not let her go. She's still there, just in a different capacity.

And I can't wait either to see her there with her plaque and jacket. I'll be so proud that day. :)

Reuchlin
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:42 AM
It was a great honour to watch Lindsay Davenport play. Good luck to her in the future!

Robbie.
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Not surprising at all, once the pregnancy was confirmed. It's not her style to do things in half measures.

Haute
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Lindsay has always been one of my favorite players, so it's really sad to see her leave the game. :sad: But congratulations to her on the pregnancy and on starting a new chapter in her life that is week deserved! :yeah: :hug:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Well if she has to leave the game, at least she's not forced to do so because of an injury. Well it IS sort of an injury, and injury to her tutu....it'll never be the same again Lindsay.

MH0861
Dec 14th, 2006, 05:04 AM
She sounds really happy, and that's all I can wish for her.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Dec 14th, 2006, 05:36 AM
its a shame she couldnt go out whilst still in the top 10, she will most definetly be missed-she really is one of the greats :worship:

smiler
Dec 14th, 2006, 05:52 AM
It's a shame to see her finish her tennis career, but much rather this happy way than with some horrid injury! I wish her all the best for the future, & I'm sorry for her fans!

Good luck Dave! :hug:

hdfb
Dec 14th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Man, the women's tour is getting baren. Davenport "not playing again", Pierce possibly not gonna be able to play again, Seles and Capriati looking like they won't be making a return, and Kimmie after next year. And two of my faves (Agassi and Davenport) going away in the same year too. They showed a clip of Davenport slamming a forehand on the news when they were announcing the story of her retirement. I almost cried knowing I'd never see such beautifully struck strokes again. Eh well, hope she has a healthy baby and she enjoys the second phase of her life.

i know..... for me, this is the first time that i will see a "generation" of players leave... i'm unsure of what to expect from now.......

Lady
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:13 AM
I'm really gonna miss her.
I wish her all the best!

:hug: to all Lindsay fans!

LUIS9
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Oh wow yeah I know it will be sad to not have Davenport around, her presence in the tennis world had been so permanent and an important one the past decade. She had it all under her sleeve good for her, but sad for the tennis community. I wish her the best and that she gives birth to a healthy new born child. :sad: :) :wavey: to Lindsay.

Kunal
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:16 AM
wtf....sucks

Si_Hi
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:34 AM
will she still go to HK?

Si_Hi
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM
i just can not believe this...
she will never be back again!...
i can do nothing but to accept it....it's always sad to say goodbye.
i wish you all the best, lindsay.
thanks for bring us so mush happiness and i'll miss you for sure.

PLP
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM
she is one of the nicest tennis players of all time
never wanted the limelight, but shined with each victory
good for you lindsay!

commentator? she'd be a good one for sure!
YES! Should would be amazing, especially in the US since we have so many bad ones! :lol: Hopefully in a few years!!! :)

pigam
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:17 AM
It's sad but I see it this way:
This SUCH a perfect way to retire for Lindsay!
As someone else noted: she never does anything "half way". She might be considered a softy by some, but I thinks he's not. She has a mind of her own and didn't like the whole charade of playing a farewell year. That's a bit sad for her fans, but I'm sure they're also proud that LMindsay decides to do this her way.
A few months ago Justine called Lindsay an exemple of how she would want to plan her carreer. I would be thrilled and gutted if Justine (around 30 ;) ) one day would announce her pregnancy and leave the game, like Lindsay.
I for one think it's amazing.

Another Belgian quote I remember from Appelmans: "I'm not really scared of playing Martina Hingis. I'll probably loose to her, but I will atleast have the feeling that I will be able to make it into a real match. There's only one player in my whole carreer who could really pummle me off the court, and that's Davenport".

FrenchY52
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:30 AM
:sad:

ceiling_fan
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:05 AM
omg this is so sad.
i wish she could play one more tourney or something...
oh well .

pooh14
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:09 AM
yep, everybody is leaving, in another 2-3 years, it would be amelie, henin, hingis, elena, serena, venus.....
late 90s is when i started following tennis (1997 to be exact)...so it is quite upsetting to see the whole bunch leaving soon.

i guess we would have maria, ana c, ana i, vandisova ruling

bellascarlett
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Really sad to see someone lie Lindsay call it quits. She's been a very good role model in tennis. And I'm glad to have seen her play a few times. But at least she is going off on a good note, not because of injury but because of a baby. Yes, she's struggled with injuries the last year and it would have been better if she had played a whole season healthy this year but it's also been a while since she and her fans have realized that it might be a good time to say goodbye to tennis and enjoy her family life anyway. What better way to start the new chapter in her life than with a little baby? I wish her all the best. :)

tobe
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM
ahhh....so sad and indeed unexpected for me! I always expected her to call it quits during the last 2 years, especially after Wimbledon 05 an then this year's US Open!!! I m glad the last match i saw of her was that game against Justine in New York, cos she really played good and fought hard (though lost)!
Anyway, great that she clears it up directly and doesn't leave any doubts! This is the way to end it!! All the best

Lindsayfan32
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM
This has come as a bit of surpise but not a total one. I have been a long time Lindsay fan (since 94). While I will miss her, I'm glad its for a happy reason and Lindsay sounds like she is happy and at peace with it then I'm happy for her and hope what ever her future beyond tennis holds she happy. I'm just glad to have seen her play and say thanks for the great memories you have given me.

MistyGrey
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Lindsay :sad:
But Its a great way to retire, I agree the timing is perfect! Have a great life Lindz!

Andy T
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:25 AM
With Monica (bn 1973) and Jen (bn 1976) already absent for a while, Mary (bn 75) out with injury and Lindsay (bn 76) now calling it a day, the 70s-born stars have gone and Momo (bn79), Venus (bn 80) and Martina H (bn 80) become the grand dames of the wta.

Shuji Shuriken
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Lindsay :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:. I'll say more later...geez...i should be happy for her, but I'm so selfish :sobbing:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I am so happy for Davenport but i wished we could have known she was leaving

Farina Elia Fan
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:28 AM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

I am happy for her but I wanted her to get another Wimbledon title sooooo much!!!!! She has given so many memories to me and I love her personality so much the way she speaks her mind and is honest. Its only the last two years I have become a fan but she is one of a kind and I hope she stays in tennis!

Maryamator
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:08 PM
:hug::sad:

SelesFan70
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Lindsay! Congratulations on your family! :D

And thanks for the memories...however bittersweet they may be. :worship:

TTomek
Dec 14th, 2006, 01:04 PM
OMG I'm so sad :sad:

I will miss you so much :sobbing:

Shuji Shuriken
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I start crying everytime I read these threads. This is so fucked up. Why Linds?

vesanto
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Well, I guess her time has arrived! Congratulations for an awesome career, your tennis and fairplay will always be remembered.

Good luck for you and for your family. I am really hoping you become so sucessfull as in your tennis career.

You will be missed! :)

VenusMashaROCK
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM
good riddance

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I start crying everytime I read these threads. This is so fucked up. Why Linds?

That's what keeps happening to me too. :sad:
I just don't know how to watch tennis without her. Even when she'd be out injured I always knew she'd come back, but now, she's not coming back.

It's going to be hard, so hard watching the Australian Open knowing why she isn't there. I'm going to ball the first time I hear one of the commentators say her name and the word "retired" in the same sentence.

Farina Elia Fan
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:31 PM
good riddance

Shut the F**K up :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Crazy_Fool
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Shut the F**K up :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Don't waste your time responding to 5 year old kids. They're only after attention.

fnuf7
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:36 PM
:awww: Lindsay! :worship: :hug: :cool:

I'll miss seeing her play but then she's had so many great years that she deserves a little time off with family :) Although can I be entirely selfish and demand that she at least comes back as a commentator or something ;)

ChampLindsay
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM
tennis without Lindsay is like tennis without a ball....

hoppefully she has a nice second life with her Jon and her son...

it would be cool if we saw him in 20 years on the ATP Tour...:worship: :worship:

:worship: :worship: LINDSAY DAVENPORT:worship: :worship:
:hearts: :hearts:

Nemesis
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I was shocked to read that she was pregnant :eek:

But congrats Lindsay! You'll be great mom.

The tour will miss a great player and a a fabulous spokeswoman. Who will stand up for women now and against Larry Scott now? Venus?

Have a great life Lindsay!

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I was shocked to read that she was pregnant :eek:

But congrats Lindsay! You'll be great mom.

The tour will miss a great player and a a fabulous spokeswoman. Who will stand up for women now and against Larry Scott now? Venus?

Have a great life Lindsay!

How cool would it be in a few years if Lindsay took over the WTA Tour from the inside?:devil:

The Dawntreader
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:16 PM
What a poignant and bittersweet article about Lindsay:D :sad:

She will be missed completely by everyone, such a great servant to the game, a great mole-model for all young girls making their way up the pro ranks. Just a tennis legend, and a beautiful person.

The tour will defintely be much lessened without you Linds, a true inspiration to me and a lot of others. enjoy your great future with your family. May it be blessed :hug:

Missing you already Lindsay!:wavey:

The Daviator
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
good riddance

Bitter that Dokic will never be able to beat her now? :lol:

vwfan
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Goodbye, Lindsay! Good luck! You will surely be missed. . .:sad:

Lindsay exemplifies the best in professionalism and sportsmanship. I have always been a fan and will really miss her and Venus fighting it out on the court. :eek:

Vut
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:46 PM
:sad:

Justine Fan
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:48 PM
good riddance

To you, yes!!! Bye, bye!

Justine Fan
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Lindsay .... on the one hand I'm so happy for you for gettng what you wanted .... a pregnancy! :bounce: Congratulations to you and Jon.

On the other hand I'm really :sobbing: that I won't be seeing you play again. After Justine, you are the next player I loved and loved to watch play! I remember the first time you were at Wimbledon, you were hugely overweight and very slow, but boy could you play!!!!!!!!!! :worship: Ever since then I've routed for you and have always supported you. As I've said before, you are the rock of the WTA and the tour will not be the same without you.

By the time the USO comes around you'll be a mother and hopefully you'll bring your child to the Open for us all to see!

Congratulations and best of luck to Mr & Mrs Leach! :woohoo: :woohoo: You'll be sadly missed Lindsay, but I'm happy for you!

The Daviator
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Lindsay .... on the one hand I'm so happy for you for gettng what you wanted .... a pregnancy! :bounce: Congratulations to you and Jon.

On the other hand I'm really :sobbing: that I won't be seeing you play again. After Justine, you are the next player I loved and loved to watch play! I remember the first time you were at Wimbledon, you were hugely overweight and very slow, but boy could you play!!!!!!!!!! :worship: Ever since then I've routed for you and have always supported you. As I've said before, you are the rock of the WTA and the tour will not be the same without you.

By the time the USO comes around you'll be a mother and hopefully you'll bring your child to the Open for us all to see!

Congratulations and best of luck to Mr & Mrs Leach! :woohoo: :woohoo: You'll be sadly missed Lindsay, but I'm happy for you!

:hug: :sad:

The Dawntreader
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Oi, i said something as well!:lol:

The Daviator
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:02 PM

She will be missed completely by everyone, such a great servant to the game, a great mole-model for all young girls making their way up the pro ranks. Just a tennis legend, and a beautiful person.

The tour will defintely be much lessened without you Linds, a true inspiration to me and a lot of others. enjoy your great future with your family. May it be blessed :hug:

:p

The Dawntreader
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:03 PM
:lol:

Justine Fan
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM

:hug: :hug: :kiss:

The Daviator
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Seriously, there's so much good sentiment and kind words here, it's really :sad:

Justine Fan
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Oi, i said something as well!:lol:

:rolleyes: Oh dear .... I can't believe you still get :mad: over Dav's and my relationship. You and him are friends, him and I are :hug:, there's a difference, so no need to be jealous dl05, OK? You know he loves you as a mate ;) :p

Do you feel better now? :lol:

The Dawntreader
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:12 PM

:rolleyes: Oh dear .... I can't believe you still get :mad: over Dav's and my relationship. You and him are friends, him and I are :hug:, there's a difference, so no need to be jealous dl05, OK? You know he loves you as a mate ;) :p

Do you feel better now? :lol:

You're my rival JF:fiery: :lol:

Justine Fan
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM
You're my rival JF:fiery: :lol:

:haha: :haha:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Me too. :sad:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Seriously, there's so much good sentiment and kind words here, it's really :sad:

I know. I guess she means something special to most everyone here, and not just her hardcore fans.

But all of it's making me cry, now more because of the knowledge that so many people love her and will miss her. :sad:

:)

disco_rage
Dec 14th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Just got home from work and heard the news! I'm so happy for Lindsay!

I sure will miss her on the tour but i think the time is right for her! it's a shame she had so many injury problems over the years! Good luck Linds!

Just Do It
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I'am not a fan of, but I'm really sad :sad:

shirley
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Congrats Lindsay :)

Thank You for the memories and look forward to your wonderful future with Jon and your first born child :D

Aww!

Uranus
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I'm so sad! She'll be missed so much :sad: Enjoy your life, Lindsay :)

gmak
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:02 PM
been away for 2-3 days and then i read this :sad: :sad: :tears: :tears: :crying2:
so :) for her but at the same time so :sad: i won't see her play again

enjoy your life Lindsay and thanks for all the great memories :worship: :worship: :worship:

Dexter
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Lindsay :hug: :sad: :wavey: May all of her family-wishes come true now! :)

For all Lindsayfans :hug: x 100000000000000000.

Ingokoer
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:48 PM
I'm so sad too, I didn't really expected it now, because when all those news about her 7/8 tournament season 2007 came around I was pretty sure that I would see her at least until the US Open 2007.

It reminds me at the time when Steffi retired. I was so down, but it was Lindsay becoming my new queen of Tennis and so many great memories have to do with Lindsay.I still watch Steffi classics on DVD and so it will be with Lindsay too!

What do you think? Will there be an official goodbye cermony at a american tournament? I read that Conchita Martinez was at the WTA Champs, got flowers, gave a speech and so on. I would wish Lindsay would do the same. Please let not that telephone call to the newspaper be the last sign of Lindsay!

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I'm so sad too, I didn't really expected it now, because when all those news about her 7/8 tournament season 2007 came around I was pretty sure that I would see her at least until the US Open 2007.

It reminds me at the time when Steffi retired. I was so down, but it was Lindsay becoming my new queen of Tennis and so many great memories have to do with Lindsay.I still watch Steffi classics on DVD and so it will be with Lindsay too!

What do you think? Will there be an official goodbye cermony at a american tournament? I read that Conchita Martinez was at the WTA Champs, got flowers, gave a speech and so on. I would wish Lindsay would do the same. Please let not that telephone call to the newspaper be the last sign of Lindsay!

That's why I'm so down, I thought she'd play next year too. It was all a cover. :sad:

I don't know if we'll get a ceremony for Lindsay, I don't think she ever wanted one. But I would think if they were to do one, it wouldn't be at the USO, I think it would be at Indian Wells or one of the Southern Californian tournaments.

MH0861
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:11 PM
That's why I'm so down, I thought she'd play next year too. It was all a cover. :sad:

I don't know if we'll get a ceremony for Lindsay, I don't think she ever wanted one. But I would think if they were to do one, it wouldn't be at the USO, I think it would be at Indian Wells or one of the Southern Californian tournaments.

If she gets one, I really hope it's at the USO -- much more coverage and people, which she completely deserves. She's such a private person though, I doubt she'd agree to it!

The Daviator
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I'd love a ceremony at the US Open too, would be nice if some of her peers came out for it, but then she doesn't like to make a song and dance about things, unlike some (Mr. Agassi :p ), there'll probably be something small at IW...

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:19 PM
If she gets one, I really hope it's at the USO -- much more coverage and people, which she completely deserves. She's such a private person though, I doubt she'd agree to it!

I know she once said that there's "no retirement party" because she'd get too emotional and stuff.
I hope they have one for her anyways.

Also I think that ESPN will do one of those "tributes" to her during the AO. It'll be nice to have some more closure.

brayster87
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:27 PM
oh its so sad that she didn't leave on a high (winning her final match) but her baby will also be a champion so we don't have to worry. We're gonna have another Davenport on the court but just not in the next 15 years!!!

Lindsay, thanks for your outstanding career throughout the 15 years. You have given so much to the game and i loved watching you every time. A true champion

You will be missed

Shimizu Amon
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Well can't say: didn't see that one coming.

It's too bad but congratz to Lindsay, enjoy your pregnancy.
Best wishes to the entire family and to all Lindsay fans I'm really sorry for you guys.

No Name Face
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:31 PM
peace out lindsay. you will be missed.

star
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I was never a big fan of her, but I'm still sad about it :sad:

Lindsayfanumber1
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Lindsay I will always love you!! :)
Besto of the lucks for you baby!! :)
I will miss you a lot :sad:

Wannabeknowitall
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I'm still not sure Lindsay is ready to let it go.
She says she has no plans to play again.
She was thinking the same thing while getting over her back injury earlier this year.
Supposedly Mr. Leach coaxed her to practice some (IMO, Lindsay was probably getting a bit annoyed by her husband and probably volunteered herself to do something).
She picked up the racket and then decided I'm going to play a little.

I can easily see her getting annoyed by her husband and trying to take it out on the courts, Lindsay waking up at three in the morning to deal with a crying baby while Mr. Leach continues to go to work at 3 in the morning.
I can easily see Lindsay mumbling, "I'll be damn if I stay here and take care of our baby while he contnues to work, I'm the provider in this house".

She could easily get in shape by US Open even by Wimbledon if it happens early enough.
All she has to do is look at her celebrity friend Gwen Stefani to see that it's possible.
Many celebrities are in phenominal shape a month after having a baby, so are many female athletes.

So for all the die-hard Lindsay fans, there's nothing wrong with hoping that Mr. Leach acts like a selfish bastard the weeks after conception.
It might come in handy. ;)

moon
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM
:sad: I'm gonna miss her.
Hopefully there'll be a tribute at the USO.
Glad I have some of her matches on tape.

The Daviator
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:18 PM
She was thinking the same thing while getting over her back injury earlier this year.
Supposedly Mr. Leach coaxed her to practice some (IMO, Lindsay was probably getting a bit annoyed by her husband and probably volunteered herself to do something).

I can easily see her getting annoyed by her husband and trying to take it out on the courts.
Lindsay waking up at three in the morning to deal with a crying baby while Mr. Leach continues to go to work at 3 in the morning.
I can easily see Lindsay mumbling, "I'll be damn if I stay here and take care of our baby while he contnues to work, I'm the provider in this house".

She could easily get in shape by US Open even by Wimbledon if it happens early enough.
All she has to do is look at her celebrity friend Gwen Stefani to see that it's possible.
Many celebrities are in phenominal shape a month after having a baby.

I love your optimism :lol: And you know she hasn't stated that she's quitting, I wonder if there's any significance to that ;)

Seriously though, baby aside, she'll be 31, and the body isn't getting any fresher, this year was going to be her last anyway, at best she'll play Stanford for charity one year :lol:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:28 PM

I can easily see her getting annoyed by her husband and trying to take it out on the courts, Lindsay waking up at three in the morning to deal with a crying baby while Mr. Leach continues to go to work at 3 in the morning.

Many celebrities are in phenominal shape a month after having a baby, so are many female athletes.

So for all the die-hard Lindsay fans, there's nothing wrong with hoping that Mr. Leach acts like a selfish bastard the weeks after conception.
It might come in handy. ;)

:lol: :lol:
I will admit I love you optimism. But the odds are nearly non existant. But if it did happen....;)

And everyone is picking on Jon. I feel bad for the guy. It's bad enough it he has to deal with Lindsay, who's moody as hell to begin with, but now a pregnant, hormonal, bloated, eating all the time Lindsay.
Poor thing.

I'll be stoked if she plays WTT or something in a year or two though.

Wannabeknowitall
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I love your optimism :lol: And you know she hasn't stated that she's quitting, I wonder if there's any significance to that ;)

Seriously though, baby aside, she'll be 31, and the body isn't getting any fresher, this year was going to be her last anyway, at best she'll play Stanford for charity one year :lol:

I think it's an option she's taking just in case she gets a little bored with family life or Mr. Leach acts up.
Billie Jean King could probably have her playing a match or two for WTT this year.
If that goes well she could decide to play her limited schedule for the rest of the summer and parts of fall.

It all depends on her ranking.
If it's May and Lindsay still hasn't taken her name off the ranking list, which should still be in the top 100, I would really wonder about that.
She's not a player to just let her ranking drop down if she has a choice.

brent-o
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:46 PM
It was a great honour to watch Lindsay Davenport play. Good luck to her in the future!

I love your signature. Makes me miss her all the more.

PatrickRyan
Dec 15th, 2006, 12:13 AM
i just heard the news now, so sad that she's retireing, but im really happy that she's having a baby! :)