PDA

View Full Version : Come in and leave a message for Lindsay Davenport.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:33 PM
It's been made official this evening that Lindsay is indeed pregnant and is expecting her first child sometime this summer. I think it's pretty safe to say we won't see her playing on the WTA tour again - 2006 was her final season on tour. :)

Mary Pierce recently had a thread similar to this after her career-threatening knee injury. I thought it would be nice for everyone to come in a leave and message - share your thoughts/opinions on the news, why you'll miss her, what she'll leave behind, etc. etc. Maybe she'll read it some day. :p

Let's go!

égalité
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I had a bet that you would retire after the 2006 season so thank you for vastly increasing my chances of winning! :hearts:

And congratulations on your baby! You were (are) one of my favorites and I'm happy for you :)

vw.
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Congratulations Lindsay!

I'm really really sad to see you go, :sad: , but happy that you'll be living a happy life after tennis. :D

The Daviator
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Good idea! :D Maybe someone can compile all the comments and send them to her :)

Anyway, Lindsay, I started following tennis at Wimbledon in 2000, and from that point onwards I've been an avid fan of yours, one of my earliest memories was being absolutely livid that you lost the Zurich final that year to Hingis :p But you made up for it in Linz a week later ending Venus' hot streak that year :angel:

Even though you didn't win a major in the time that I backed you (maybe I was a curse :lol: ) you supplied many amazing, memorable moments, possibly my favourite being the Wimbledon '05 run, final loss and all :worship: And it was a treat to support you as the world #1 for so long, I loved your game, but equally your warm and charming personality, and you'll be greatly missed...

Good luck with your pregnancy, all the best :hug: A fan in Ireland :wavey:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Lindsay,
Thank you for the memories and the tennis. You will be missed by not only your very devoted fanbase but by tennis fans everywhere for your play and your grace.
I wish you good health and happiness.
And if, after you have the baby,and think that you want to comeback for a last hurrah, we'll be here for you.;)

I didn't start following you until 2003, when you had your foot injury, but I always loved you and your game. I could never turn away from you, win or lose.
You'll always be my favorite player. And the a gracious champion at that.
We'll miss you and hope you become involved in some way in tennis again in the future. Because tennis isn't the same without you.

Sincerely,
Jean Marie.

Crazy_Fool
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I was happy for Lindsay to hear this news, but also a little saddened. It just dawned on me that I would never see her on the tennis court again.

Its been an honour and pleasure to watch her play tennis throughout all these years. Some of my greatest tennis memories have included her. I will never forget all those great matches in the early 2000s with Martina Hingis, Venus and Serena. Not too mention her GS wins.

She has given us all a great deal of joy and will be missed, but I'm glad she's gone out on her own terms.

UDACHi
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:03 PM
she's such a lovely person and a one of a kind player. sad to see her leave this way, would have been nice to have it be based more on her own terms. anyway, good luck to her in the future. i'm sure she'll make a great mommy.

jimbo mack
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Lindsay, I started following your career in 1996 and after you won the gold medal olympics in atlanta I immediately became a fan. Throughout your career I had so much respect for you because you let your tennis do the talking and you worked so hard to come back successfully from numerous injuries. I have watched all the grandslam finals you have won and remember jumping for joy when you captured your first one, the US Open in 1998. Your rivalries with hingis, venus, serena and steffi were rememerable and there were many high quality, classy matches you played and won against them. I am very sad that I will never see you play again, and wimbledon will definitely not be the same without you, but I grant you my best wishes for the future and hope you have a very happy life in your new family. Thankyou so much for the memories.

James Mackintosh (UK)

Ben.
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Lindsay, congratulations on your expecting child & may you enjoy life outside of tennis in the future to the fullest. Your a great person not just on the court but of the off court which is a great testiment to the person that you are. I've enjoyed watching you play over the last few years and you shall be greatly missed.

From Ben :wavey: a fan from Australia

!<blocparty>!
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:24 PM
I'm going to miss the sound the ball made with her racquet during contact. The perfectly timed laserbeam groundsrokes. The lasso forehand cross court winners. The huge shoulder sweep before cross-court backhands. The classy handshakes. The superb interviews. The comments about other players. The articulacy. The game set match Davenports.

I know I haven't said the nicest things about Lindsay this year (it's been hard with all the bullshit she puts though ;)) but I'm genuinly really happy that she's finally going to settle down and do what she's been wanting to for a couple of years now. She'll be able to look back on her career and be really proud of what she managed to achieve. Who'd have predicted in 1994/5 she'd be one of the best players in the world for a decade, win 51 titles, become world's number one in both singles and doubles?

She's given me some great memories, and I hope her life after tennis will be just as rewarding. ;)

Justin
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I remember watching Lindsay on TV playing Sabatini at the 1993 US Open on the grandstand court. I loved her right away.

I always said that I would stop paying such close attention to tennis after Monica retired, but Lindsay kept me interested.

My favorite matches of hers are: 1996 Olympics vs Sanchez, 1996 Los Angeles vs Graf, 1999 Wimbledon vs Graf, 1998 Masters vs Graf, 1999 US Open vs Pierce, 2000 US Open vs Serena, 2001 Masters vs Kim, 2004 Stanford vs Venus, 2004 Masters vs Serena, and 2005 French and Wimbledon vs Kim. And, her matches with Kimiko Date were :eek: .

She has had such a remarkable career and she was such a breath of fresh air with her intelligence. If this is the end for her, I will miss her tremendously.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and thanks for the memories, Linds! :kiss:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I'm going to miss the sound the ball made with her racquet during contact. The perfectly timed laserbeam groundsrokes. The lasso forehand cross court winners. The huge shoulder sweep before cross-court backhands. The classy handshakes. The superb interviews. The comments about other players. The articulacy. The game set match Davenports.

I know I haven't said the nicest things about Lindsay this year (it's been hard with all the bullshit she puts though ;)) but I'm genuinly really happy that she's finally going to settle down and do what she's been wanting to for a couple of years now. She'll be able to look back on her career and be really proud of what she managed to achieve. Who'd have predicted in 1994/5 she'd be one of the best players in the world for a decade, win 51 titles, become world's number one in both singles and doubles?

She's given me some great memories, and I hope her life after tennis will be just as rewarding. ;)

I'm gonna miss the same things, the simple things. Her name in the draw, her name on scoreboards. Getting up 2 am to livescore a semifinal match half way around the world.
And what I consider the most beautiful sound in the world:
"Game, Set, Match, Miss Davenport" :sad:
Thanks Lindsay.

Viktymise
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Good Luck with the rest of your life Lindsay and thanks for all the great tennis memories, i feel a bit teary eyed :awww: just so many memories :sad:

new-york
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:46 PM

basically.:worship:

:hug:

LeRoy.
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Lindsay - You had a GREAT tennis career :worship: :hearts: .
Good luck on your new life and i can just feel that she is going to be a great mom :yeah:

Also to her fans :hug:

klok
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Congrats and best of luck and thanks for all the years of great tennis matches.

stevos
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Lindsay, everytime I heard you speak in an interview, everytime I watched you strike the ball with such beautiful sound, and everytime I saw you win, I enjoyed every minute of it. I took it for granted that you were still around, and never thought much of it, but now that you're leaving I will miss you so much.

Thanks so much for your amazing tennis, great personality and exciting matches. And if it's a boy, name him Steve!

AJZ.
Dec 14th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I respect your game, it was really nice to watch. Have a nice life, Lindsay! :hug:

cometz9
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Congrats to Lindsay and her husband :clap2: :baby: :awww:

i'm gonna miss her a lot :sobbing: but i'm happy for her, she is finally settling down and starting her family. Best of luck in the future and you'll always be in my sig :hearts: :hug: I do hope they have a retirement ceremony for her at the USO or anywhere for that matter.

trivfun
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Probably your milestone match was against Steffi Graf when you won Wimbledon. The 1998 U.S. Open over Hingis was dominating. The best match that you played was against Venus in 2005 at Wimbledon. Your movement was excellent as well as your power, and groundstrokes.

LadyLil
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Congratulations to you and your husband. Thank you for all the tennis you've given us.

lindsayno1
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Is she actually gonna get this?!!

Lindsay you are cool! You made me realise after i dislocated my knee - which resulted in screwed up ligaments and surgery that I could get back to the level of sport i was playing at! Hell you got back to no1 in the world!!!

You are a true champion and my idol! I loved how you were so normal - yet so deadly on court! I saw you play a couple of times and the sound of the ball on your racquet was immense! Oh and the double bagelling of Sharapova! *loves it*

Good luck with the baby and everything! Dont disappear forever!

jacs
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:23 AM
I want to kick your husband where the sun don't shine :mad:... and :sad: Lindsay, I'll miss you :sad:

LoveFifteen
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Lindsay :bigcry:

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!! :sobbing:

I will miss you so much. Oh my God, I have to go grieve now. :sad:

Thank you for so many years of great memories. I will never forgot you, Lindsay. You are a legend, and the game is worse without you. :hug:

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:31 AM
I'm not even a big Lindsay fan and this is hitting me pretty hard. Its not gonna be the same without her name in draws.

I'm gonna miss you Lindsay. Purest ballstriker ever.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:34 AM
You are a legend, and the game is worse without you. :hug:

What??? :lol:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I want to kick your husband where the sun don't shine :mad:... and :sad: Lindsay, I'll miss you :sad:

LMAO. I'm sure Jon will be put thru the paces. He knocked up the moodiest woman on earth.

And I agree, Lindsay please don't disappear forever. That would be too much to bear.

wateva
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:41 AM
:sad: i was going to hong kong to see you live...
guess not now...
have a great life after tennis! :awww:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Lindsay,

Well, everyone has retire some time or another. But the WTA will sorely miss you, especially your loyal fans on this Board.

You have achieved much in your career, and you should be proud of yourself. For the titles and tournaments that you've failed to win (especially Roland Garros), don't miss them too much. In a few months time, you'll have the greatest "gift" or "title" of all, and it's all that matters. It will cure you of the sorrows and pains of losing the matches that you should have won, or the titles that falls out from your grasp.

So, enjoy your retirement, Lindsay. We will always miss you. :hug:

kittyking
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Very successful career, pity that you couldnt win any other Grand Slams.
Hopefully you'll get involved with coaching soon, you definately understand how to win tough matches when the pressures on.

Best of luck
Kittyking

P.S. You managed to defeat heaps of quality players in your career but not Marina Erakovic, Sacha Jones, Ellen Barry or Kathie Westbury - better come back in a few years time to beat them :p

Wannabeknowitall
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:49 AM
I've watched you play tennis for more than half of my life and it's hard to fathom women's tennis without you.
I remember watching you play at the US Open in 1992 listening to the commentators basically call you a joke.
I don't know where they are but you've proved so many people wrong during your career while inspiring so many others.
You sneaked you way into the spotlight of tennis without really wanting it and now you're riding off in the sunset with everything you've wanted.
You still ended the year with a title (in doubles) and the top American ranking.
I will miss you dearly but it's time to start a new stage of your life.

ShockSpin
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Congratulations to her!:D
I'm gonna miss her so much. She's so lovely and talented player.
Good luck :wavey:

Cat's Pajamas
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Although she was never my biggest fav, she was always in my top 10. She was everything a tennis player should be, beautiful groundstrokes, penetrationg serve, and most importantly, a class act and good sportswoman, a trait missing in so many young players. You were such a joy to watch and unfortunately I never got to see you in your prime, but seeing you dominate 2004 was quite a joy. I'm sad you never got to win that next slam but you played some great matches, and will surely go down as one of the best in history! :worship:

This avatar is in honor of you Lindsay! :kiss:

Wannabeknowitall
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Is she actually gonna get this?!!

It's worth a try.
Well technically there isn't an official Lindsay Davenport website.
She was playing years before Al Gore invented the internet. :tape:

hurricanejeanne
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:16 AM
maybe we get it to an espn commentator at a tournament or something, like Mary Joe, she's close friends with Lindsay. She could pass it along.

Lefty.
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Lindsay, i've only started seriously following tennis since last year, but you've brought so many great memories for me, in all the matches i've watched of you, whether it was the first round of the AO or the final of Wimbledon. You've been so incredible to watch, one of the cleanest ball strikers the world has ever seen. You are one of the best in history, and you can end your career knowing that. Enjoy your retirement with your new baby Lindsay, and thanks for all the memories, on and off court. :hug: :sad: :hug:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:34 AM
I've watched you play tennis for more than half of my life and it's hard to fathom women's tennis without you.
I remember watching you play at the US Open in 1992 listening to the commentators basically call you a joke.
I don't know where they are but you've proved so many people wrong during your career while inspiring so many others.
You sneaked you way into the spotlight of tennis without really wanting it and now you're riding off in the sunset with everything you've wanted.
You still ended the year with a title (in doubles) and the top American ranking.
I will miss you dearly but it's time to start a new stage of your life.

Aww, one of the best posts in here. :worship:

Great thread so far guys. :yeah: Keep the messages coming. It's a shame Lindsay never created a website with a fan section :ras:... if anyone is able to get close to any famous tennis players/commentators, it's always worth a try printing the messages out and asking if they'd pass them on. Or maybe I'll do it myself when I move to Laguna Beach. :lol::angel::p

XaDavK_Kapri
Dec 14th, 2006, 04:48 AM
I'm feeling kinda nostalgic right now. The way I see it though, it's time to slowly walk out of the present tennis world and take a little step into the legend :) I always admired Lindsay Davenport for how she combined results and personality throughout the years. I have always enjoyed watching her play as much as listening to her speak. Which cannot be said for many players out there. I've always admired her spontaneity and clearness in her interviews. She always said things like they were and I loved her sense of humour.

Lindsay Davenport did a lot for her sport. Very quietly. She is a calm warrior. They're the toughest and most remarkable ones. She's one of those who achieve great things while never looking for the spotlight. Those are the ones I look up to. Good luck Lindsay :)

MisterQ
Dec 14th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Will we ever see ballstriking quite like that again? Lindsay, you are something else. :worship:

It was inspiring to see you continue to work the past few years and keep adding to your already amazing resume. You gave the fans so many amazing matches to remember.

But what I will miss just as much is your overall decency, your articulate and thoughtful interviews, the grounded outlook that kept you from needing to hog the spotlight, and your ability to be fiercely critical when something needed to be said while simultaneously remaining considerate and kind. You spoke for the players better than anyone -- I wonder who, if anyone, will take your place.

darrinbaker00
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Cheating on me is bad enough, Linds, but with YOUR HUSBAND? :mad:

Ceze
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Congrats Lindsay :D

LUIS9
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Congrats Mrs. Leach for your pregnancy. You will be missed dearly in the tennis community, your tennis and talent will be irreplaceable. I wish you many blessings and that this new stage in your life brings you all the happiness you and and your family deserve.

Si_Hi
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:09 AM
i hope you will be happy...
enjoy being a mum...
enjou being a housewife...
we will always love you and stand by ur side...!

ViennaCalling
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Bye Lindsay! :wavey: I'll miss you! Enjoy being a mum :hearts:

Ceri
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Congratulations on a great career Lindsay, you helped to make women's tennis something to shout about in the late 90s and 00s. You'll always be remembered for your warm, friendly persona and the deadly accurate magic you could work with a tennis racquet. All the best for the future and this next chapter in your life - enjoy every minute! thanks for the memories. :)

Andy.
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Lindsay When I began watching Tennis in 97 you were one of the first players I ever saw play and from then on you have been apart of Tennis for me. You have been a truley wonderful player and have achieved some remarkable things that you can be very proud of. Tennis will not be the same without you and you will be greatly missed. Congratulations on becoming pregnant, I wish you and Jon all the best. Thanks for the memories.

Elldee
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Best way to go, Lindsay D. Verrrrrrry happy for her.

Farina Elia Fan
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I am going to miss her so much, its been horrible this season not watching you play often. Good luck with the pregnancy and I hope you get everything you want. Thank you for speaking up against the tour and having the courage of your convictions. Such an assest to the tour and shows you dont have to athletic to play tennis and every bigger people can play tennis. You have done yourself proud! :)

http://external.cache.el-mundo.net/elmundodeporte/imagenes/2005/08/27/1125170341_0.jpg

Porcupine
Dec 14th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Lindsay, although I'm not your fan, but I'll miss you much. You're a great champ and a great person. You're on your way to become a great mother as well. Thanks for what you've done to women tennis, thanks for all the matches you've dedicated, thanks for everything.

alfonsojose
Dec 14th, 2006, 01:13 PM
You horny b*tch :mad: ;)

Seriously, i'm going to miss u so badly. i hit flat on both sides 'coz of you. i try to hit like u all the time. And if John wants to go bi, call me :kiss:

God bless u, John and your baby :wavey: :tears:

Miss Pat
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Just want to make a suggestion.
Lindsay, if you actually read these, I think
it would be great if you would start your
own blog. Your fans could keep up with
you - in your own words.

tennisfan2480
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Hey Lindsay, I'm a 26 yr. old male who thinks your tennis is awesome. I try to emulate your service motion, your powerful, flattish forehand, and your keen sense of return-of-serve. I have a one-handed backhand, but have always appreciated the precision of your two-hander. I think you were/are the perfect representative of American female tennis. Calm, cool, collected, graceful, dignified, respected on and off the court.

SO many people will miss your presence on the court. If you ever make a comeback in a year, two, or three. You would be welcomed with open arms. If you don't come back, congratulations on so many amazing titles and legendary matches. Enjoy being a mom and wife!

With much respect, John

John.
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hi Lindsay

I became a fan in 1994 when I watched you beat Mary Jo in the 4th Round of the Australian Open.

I just want to thank you for all the wonderful memories you have given me over the years, and I hope you have no regrets when you look back on your tennis career.

I wish you, Jon and the baby all the happiness in the world.

Best wishes

John xx

tterb
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I've been a fan since the '96 Olympics, and it's going to be difficult to adapt to tennis without you, Lindsay.

I'll miss those clean, crisp groundstrokes, some of the best the game has ever seen. I'll miss your insightful interviews, and your no-nonsense attitude.

I selfishly wish you could stay around for a bit longer to add to your GS collection, but I'm thankful for all the memories you've given us. You've worked so hard to become the champion you are, and fought back impressively from injury time and time again. And through it all, you've always remained humble and grounded.

I wish you the best of luck with the upcoming addition to your family, and I hope that someday, if you see fit, you'll grace the commentary booth with your presence (please, please, please? :) ). I'll miss you, Lindsay.

tterb
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:13 PM

I know I haven't said the nicest things about Lindsay this year (it's been hard with all the bullshit she puts though ) but I'm genuinly really happy that she's finally going to settle down and do what she's been wanting to for a couple of years now. She'll be able to look back on her career and be really proud of what she managed to achieve. Who'd have predicted in 1994/5 she'd be one of the best players in the world for a decade, win 51 titles, become world's number one in both singles and doubles?

She's given me some great memories, and I hope her life after tennis will be just as rewarding.
Great post, blocparty. And thanks for the thread (even though I missed it the first time around). :)