PDA

View Full Version : How do you think Martina herself rates her comeback?

GoDominique
Dec 11th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Fantastic? Very good? Good? As expected? Average? Decent? Disappointing? Poor?
Encouraging or discouraging?

goodbye iowa
Dec 11th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Which Martina? :D

goldenlox
Dec 11th, 2006, 09:09 PM
"You always want more," she said. "I can always get more out of it next year. I think that I will be in a totally different position next year, as I will be in the top eight.
"Winning another grand slam? I'm back in the top 10, so there aren't that many players ahead of me, but there's a way to go. I would have to beat the best, but now I know that I can do that."

PLP
Dec 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Martina was very disappointed in her Wimbledon-US Open period, besides some great Moments in Montreal, her energy level seemed low in many matches which I thought was due to over-training at the time. The iron def. didn't help. :(

Her YEC performance was very encouraging for her though. I think this was her most important tournament of the year. In general going into 2007 she should be pleased and her upcoming year should be awesome! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GoDominique
Dec 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Which Martina? :D
Do you like Lasagna too? :)

LeRoy.
Dec 11th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I think she would be dissapointed. I am sure she expected better results at GS's

Mother_Marjorie
Dec 11th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Not a bright idea for a thread, considering Martina Hingis has already said she is pleased.

hablo
Dec 11th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I'm sure she thinks she should be ahead of Momo.

GoDominique
Dec 11th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Not a bright idea for a thread, considering Martina Hingis has already said she is pleased.
Well, people that are bright don't believe everything players say in interviews or press conferences.
Naive and/or dense people do, however. :)

go hingis
Dec 11th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Very Good with Fantastic to come in 2007

pooh14
Dec 11th, 2006, 11:04 PM
she already said it, happy with the first halve, disappointed with the second half.
she was too tired towards the end, thus she went for a medical checkup and realize she was low in iron right before zurich.

vogus
Dec 12th, 2006, 12:08 AM
it's early to ask the question, since '07 is the make or break year for Hingy's comeback. She'll have the seedings and therefore the draws to do well in the big events if her game is there. I think if she only finishes at #7-8 again next year, that would be disappointing for her.

spencercarlos
Dec 12th, 2006, 12:55 AM
it's early to ask the question, since '07 is the make or break year for Hingy's comeback. She'll have the seedings and therefore the draws to do well in the big events if her game is there. I think if she only finishes at #7-8 again next year, that would be disappointing for her.
Im pretty sure that Hingis´s goal has nothing to do with the rankings, yeah it helps because she can avoid facing tough oponnents in the early rounds, but i think she would trade another great grand slam run and being ranked around 15, than doing not so good at the big events and finish in the top 5.
That being said i think she would be very dissapointed if she gets similar results to the last two grand slams of this year, rather than having another consistent season and being in the top 7 again.

PLP
Dec 12th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Well, people that are bright don't believe everything players say in interviews or press conferences.

:lol:

:kiss:

spencercarlos
Dec 12th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Yeah GoDom :p
So Martina is really dissapointed, and she is really questioning and asking herself what´s she is doing out there playing because she really things that she looks silly out there playing just to win two events in her first year on tour after her more than three year hiatus from the game, and finishing in the top 7 really shows that she sucks.
Martina retire again please :p

Billabong
Dec 12th, 2006, 03:16 AM
As she didn't quite know what to expect at first, I'm sure she's still delighted with her year, even though there hasn't been anything extraordinary in it :). She's firmly into the top-10, won a tier-1 title and a tier-3, beat some top-10 players including Sharapova (and almost all the top-20), and beat her old rivals Davenport and Venus Williams, so she must be happy with that. But she'll definitely have greater expectations in 2007, and this is where we'll probably see what level she can still reach:).

switz
Dec 12th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Overall it was a fantastic comeback but i suspect she would be disappointed with how up and down her form got after RG. The YEC showed some good signs for her though even though she didn't make the semis. Next year was going to be the year where she'd have to prove whether she can get back to the very top of the game and compete with the best at their best.

LoveFifteen
Dec 12th, 2006, 04:59 AM
She landed another tennis-playing boyfriend, and his career has been derailed. Girl is glad to know she's still got it! Work it, Martina! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

MyskinaManiac
Dec 12th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Martina will give the AO a good rattle. Call me a lil optomistic, but the stats show that she could take anybody down. This year has just been awesome, the comeback of the last five years of any sport.

jazar
Dec 12th, 2006, 06:50 AM
she is pleased i reckon. cos she knew she would be able to compete, otherwise she wouldnt have comeback, but i think she thinks she can go further and maybe win a slam and get into the top 5.

faboozadoo15
Dec 12th, 2006, 06:56 AM
i can't imagine she's delighted. but i reckon she's proud of herself.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 12th, 2006, 07:00 AM
I agree with faboo. I'm sure she's proud of the fact that she came back and proved that she can still play with the best, beating some great players and making the YEC... but overall I couldnt imagine shes too thrilled about the season. She was pretty consistent yes, but did also have some bad losses and her Wimbledon & US Opens were just painfully disappointing for a player of her calibre.

Hopefully 2007 will bring even better things for Martina. :)

Ryan
Dec 12th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I agree with faboo. I'm sure she's proud of the fact that she came back and proved that she can still play with the best, beating some great players and making the YEC... but overall I couldnt imagine shes too thrilled about the season. She was pretty consistent yes, but did also have some bad losses and her Wimbledon & US Opens were just painfully disappointing for a player of her calibre.

Ditto. I reckon she has a certain sense of smug satisfaction at doing so well, but is dissapointed with her losses. She's a perfectionist (except when it comes to her serve), so I bet she'll try her hardest to improve for next year. 2007, year of the Hingis. :worship:

LUIS9
Dec 13th, 2006, 03:55 AM

I concur with you two, she probably considers it a pretty average year overall however, she's probably quite pleased with her effort and being able to pull off a comeback without a major injury. Which afterall was the biggest concern, how much would her frail and slowly aging body hold up?