PDA

View Full Version : Real Poll: First Asian Woman To Win Grand Slam

pierce0415
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM
:p

AJZ.
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Realistically, Ayumi Morita probably has the best chance, although I still believe in Ai.

Mightymirza
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:52 PM
As for now I think none...:D just voted for Sania for the heck of it..:p ..Hope she improves tho..

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I really do believe Mirza has the game to seriously contend at a slam. Someone with firepower like that cannot be ignored... especially if she starts truly getting fit and straightening out that serve. If she finds a hot patch of form I think she could go far in a slam. And it wont necessarily be in the next couple years, either.

Personally I dont think any of the players on that list are going to win a slam, but I voted Sania since I think shes got the best chance.

pierce0415
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Realistically, Ayumi Morita probably has the best chance, although I still believe in Ai.

is Morita really that good :confused:

Dexter
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Neither of them. If there is ever an Asian player to win singles GS, she's to discovered yet.

Slampova
Dec 11th, 2006, 07:01 PM
None of them will win a slam.. there are too many more dominant players :p:cool:

Ferosh
Dec 11th, 2006, 07:03 PM
None of the above!

AJZ.
Dec 11th, 2006, 07:08 PM

She's young. She's got time on her side, and I think she's an interesting prospect - I think, anyways.

Iceland
Dec 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Morita has often some disappointing results.

I would bet on Albina Khabibulina

Mightymirza
Dec 11th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I really do believe Mirza has the game to seriously contend at a slam. Someone with firepower like that cannot be ignored... especially if she starts truly getting fit and straightening out that serve. If she finds a hot patch of form I think she could go far in a slam. And it wont necessarily be in the next couple years, either.

Personally I dont think any of the players on that list are going to win a slam, but I voted Sania since I think shes got the best chance.

ur avatar :hearts:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Dec 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM
None of them

pengluv
Dec 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM
i beleive peng or li na can pull a australian open muresmo and have clijsters, shrapova, venus, and serena injured. then justine can retire in the final.. but seriously they may considering the draw. To me theres no really extrodanary player they cant pull an upset against besides sharapova.

Farina Elia Fan
Dec 11th, 2006, 08:22 PM
none of them - but Iroda could make a semi final when fully fit with match practise :)

Kim's_fan_4ever
Dec 11th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Have you badrepped all the people that said none of the above won't ever win a
Slam, pierce666? :help:
If not, i'll start to think that my opinion is important for you :haha:

Wayn77
Dec 11th, 2006, 08:32 PM
None of those schoolgirls have a hope in hell. :tape:

edit: Sugi-Baby excepted

HenryMag.
Dec 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I think na Li can reach a SF as she plays like Wimbledon this year, but win a GS, it's very hard!

skumars
Dec 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM
None in the next 3-4 years. We should revisit this poll after that, if asians improve a lot by that time to seriously contend for a GS title.

I just voted Sania for the heck of it and with a lot of hope on her.

Buitenzorg
Dec 12th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Not too sure at this stage, hopefully they will be one though ;)

égalité
Dec 12th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Yung-Jan Chan!

RJWCapriati
Dec 12th, 2006, 11:18 PM
None of them.........but the best chance I say goes to Jie.

Orion
Dec 13th, 2006, 02:03 AM

She's had some very good results on the challenger circuit, especially considering this is her first half-season (12 events, I believe). She's managed to balance her juniors and pro career awfully well.

After hitting with Sugiyama earlier this year, Ai said that Morita already has pro-level groundstrokes and volleys, but her serve isn't good enough yet to be in the top 100. I'd say in two years, she cracks the top 40.

Orion
Dec 13th, 2006, 02:06 AM
ALSO, Morita tore Arvidsson a new won at Birmingham. I got to watch that match later that summer (Swedish friend taped it) and was really surprised at how level-headed she was for a 16 year old. A few points here or there against Bartoli and she would have been in the quarters of Birmingham, and Meilen Tu isn't exactly a name that inspires fear.

Mattographer
Dec 13th, 2006, 02:52 AM
I missed catch "Other / Yet To Be Discovered" :o but I already voted Tulyaganova.

miss_molik
Dec 13th, 2006, 03:16 AM
none of the above/yet to be discovered

Sharapova's_Boy
Dec 13th, 2006, 04:18 AM
From that list, Sania Mirza and Iroda Tulyaganova have the best chance.

selyoink
Dec 13th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Other. I don't think any of the current Asian players are good enough to win a slam. It will be a future talent.

Modiac.
Dec 13th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Di Zhao,who is training in Nick B. now.
She's hopeful.

tennisrox
Dec 13th, 2006, 06:08 AM

If she can sort out that service action she's a shoo-in to win slams. Its more effective now, but I really don't like her action. Her ground game is fabulous. And she's a lot quicker, so its far more effective than it used to be. She has a champions attitude as well. I wouldn't be surprised if she wins slams, but she definitely needs to improve her serve for that to happen.

tennisrox
Dec 13th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Di Zhao,who is training in Nick B. now.
She's hopeful.

What sort of game does she play? Strengths, weaknesses?

Modiac.
Dec 13th, 2006, 06:41 AM
What sort of game does she play? Strengths, weaknesses?
Di Zhao is only 14,and her game is aggressive and powerful.
Nick said she has a lot of talent,and good body shape.
She went to the States with her father,and her family is not very rich.(It sounds familiar with Sharapova,right?:tape: )
And the coincident truth is Di's coach is Sharapova's former coach in the academy.:eek: :eek:
Di Zhao is the first Chinese who got full scholarship of Nick B. academy.
She is #1 in U14 ranking of the academy now.

Her pics:
http://www.tennis.com.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2006-11/9_4115843_1.jpg
http://www.tennis.com.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2006-11/9_4115843_2.jpg

jazar
Dec 13th, 2006, 06:49 AM
the best any of them could do is the semis, but that would be difficult given that there are many players out there better than them. i don't think there will be an asian GS winner til at least 2020, so they would probably be about 4at the moment

1star
Dec 13th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I think Li Na could win WO. Grass surface suits her game.

Sassy-Na
Dec 13th, 2006, 04:33 PM
the best any of them could do is the semis, but that would be difficult given that there are many players out there better than them. i don't think there will be an asian GS winner til at least 2020, so they would probably be about 4at the moment

how about british players? 2100? :angel:

Vut
Dec 13th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Not in the near future!... but I could be Sugiyama!!! :hearts: