PDA

View Full Version : Whats your opinion of Martina Hingis after her comeback?

JCF
Dec 11th, 2006, 01:20 PM
For me she has become quite boring. I mean when she first came on to the scene in 1997, she was such an interesting personality and her rivals with the William sisters and Davenport are some of my greatest tennis memories. But since she's comeback she's been very quiet and just played within herself without any excitment.

Anyone else have these views?

RJWCapriati
Dec 11th, 2006, 01:22 PM
The 1st half of the year was very interesting and she had great results....then after the Wimbledon loss to Sugiyama.......downhill. She is always fun to watch in Australia though....expect at least a QF from Martina.

Keaka
Dec 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM
:worship:

Princeza
Dec 11th, 2006, 01:29 PM
For me she has become quite boring. I mean when she first came on to the scene in 1997, she was such an interesting personality and her rivals with the William sisters and Davenport are some of my greatest tennis memories. But since she's comeback she's been very quiet and just played within herself without any excitment.

she's n7 after only 1 year, the rivalry u are talking about was a teenage one ,which i agree was the best but now she's more mature, she's not 16 so i guess the excitement is different , still she love the game that's why she's been back so strongly

Fantastic
Dec 11th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I think Martina has a more heightened maturity about her that suddenly endears her to almost everyone she encounters these days. Even her former detractors who once loathed every move she made have forgiven her for her youthful indiscretions. Martina has made a decent return to professional tennis, perhaps a much better one than what was expected of her in her first full year back. She wasn't able to top Monica Seles' return after her 2 and a half years off the tour, but Martina plays a different game, one that takes more time to shape itself again. However, winning tournaments again was probably something nobody expected so soon, and definitely not being able to qualify for the season-ending championships in Madrid. She's Top 10 again and finds herself amongst the contenders for Grand Slam championships. Her personality is a little different, but you'd expect that with a growing maturity. She's still great to watch and brings another dimension to the WTA Tour. The power-hitters are plentiful and Martina Hingis stands out because she doesn't play with the most powerful shots, but boy, she can still put most of them in their place. That not only takes real talent, but a determination and a passion to succeed. But that's Martina Hingis! She's back, baby, and she will never be forgotten.

barmaid
Dec 11th, 2006, 01:47 PM
One can't ever refer to Martina as "boring":hearts: ....neither is her game "boring" with its great variety :worship: to me her comeback has been "exciting" and her presence on the court has been a real asset to the WTAtour which had been lacking the star quality of a "Martina Hingis":bounce: Yes, she's matured and not as "outspoken":p as she was once but her sparkling personality is still there and her charisma remains intact:kiss::hearts: Bring it on Marti in 2007!:worship:

barmaid:wavey:

goldenlox
Dec 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I thought Martina had a Nadia-type year, where she didn't threaten to win a major, but played a lot and is solidly in the top 10.

spencercarlos
Dec 11th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I think Martina has a more heightened maturity about her that suddenly endears her to almost everyone she encounters these days. Even her former detractors who once loathed every move she made have forgiven her for her youthful indiscretions. Martina has made a decent return to professional tennis, perhaps a much better one than what was expected of her in her first full year back. She wasn't able to top Monica Seles' return after her 2 and a half years off the tour, but Martina plays a different game, one that takes more time to shape itself again. However, winning tournaments again was probably something nobody expected so soon, and definitely not being able to qualify for the season-ending championships in Madrid. She's Top 10 again and finds herself amongst the contenders for Grand Slam championships. Her personality is a little different, but you'd expect that with a growing maturity. She's still great to watch and brings another dimension to the WTA Tour. The power-hitters are plentiful and Martina Hingis stands out because she doesn't play with the most powerful shots, but boy, she can still put most of them in their place. That not only takes real talent, but a determination and a passion to succeed. But that's Martina Hingis! She's back, baby, and she will never be forgotten.
Decent return?
A more than three year retired player to comeback in the first year and already being a top 7? She had a great comeback, won a Tier I event, finals in two other Tier I events, some consistent results, aside Wimbledon and the Usopen.
Plus she beat a lot of great players and challenged everyone in the top ten.
All of this with her non poweful and quoted by many outdated game, that should not hurt.

As for the thread starter i think the only one boring here is you, Hingis may not outhit the other players brings to the game a sense of strategy and variety that lacks tremendously in today´s game. Hingis has proven that you can be competitive without hitting strong powerful shots or without having a big serve.

You being form spain (at least the flag) made me remmember again Conchita´s prediction of Hingis not being able to deal with today´s game and have enough results to make her a top ten ever again.. Lots of people were proved wrong?

Does Hingis have a shot at a slam? Hmm does not seem possible at this point, but i would love to see her try.

spencercarlos
Dec 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM
The 1st half of the year was very interesting and she had great results....then after the Wimbledon loss to Sugiyama.......downhill. She is always fun to watch in Australia though....expect at least a QF from Martina.
Downhil?
After Wimbledon Hingis made Final of a Tier I event, won a Tier III, QF in 2 Tier I events, and won a match in the Masters and almost made the semis.
Yeah still two 2r defeats at the Usopen and Seoul were bad especially the one at the Usopen, but overall was more inconsistent than at the first half of the year but still pretty good results here and there and finishing very well at the masters facing 3 top 5 players in succesion, beating one, taking world number one Amelie to three sets, the taking the year end number one Henin to three sets as well, so very good ending, once again proving a lot of haters wrong who expected her to be trashed in straight sets in every match.

miffedmax
Dec 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Much as I love to hate on Martina, I've had to eat my words. She has done very well. I am very impressed by her efforts.

I think some of the snippiness will return as she continues to win.

GoDominique
Dec 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM
She can only get more boring in 2007 so ...

hingis2002cn
Dec 11th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Decent return?
A more than three year retired player to comeback in the first year and already being a top 7? She had a great comeback, won a Tier I event, finals in two other Tier I events, some consistent results, aside Wimbledon and the Usopen.
Plus she beat a lot of great players and challenged everyone in the top ten.
All of this with her non poweful and quoted by many outdated game, that should not hurt.

As for the thread starter i think the only one boring here is you, Hingis may not outhit the other players brings to the game a sense of strategy and variety that lacks tremendously in today´s game. Hingis has proven that you can be competitive without hitting strong powerful shots or without having a big serve.

You being form spain (at least the flag) made me remmember again Conchita´s prediction of Hingis not being able to deal with today´s game and have enough results to make her a top ten ever again.. Lots of people were proved wrong?

Does Hingis have a shot at a slam? Hmm does not seem possible at this point, but i would love to see her try.

spencercarlos: you have said what I want to say.
Hingis always makes me surprise. Even for me, a big fan of hers, I did not think she can play so well. She brings so much to women's tennis. It is really great to watch such a player to play tennis.She does have big serve and powerful ground shots, she is a very different player from other girls. she still can challeng every player. :lol:

Pasta-Na
Dec 11th, 2006, 03:26 PM
i like her games :)

Nicolás89
Dec 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM
i think she is great:wavey: :lol:

2007 will be an even better year for you marti:bounce:

Dementieva_Dude
Dec 11th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I loved Martina in her "first" career, and I love her even more now! Her game is unique, her personality is anything but boring, and she has added some much needed star power to a tour that was starting to falter.

PLUS she has a social life that's worth gossiping about! I know she'll have an even better 2007!

senorgato
Dec 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Much as I love to hate on Martina, I've had to eat my words. She has done very well. I am very impressed by her efforts.

I think some of the snippiness will return as she continues to win.

LOL, at least you're honest.

I think Hingis had a great comeback. The disappoints for me were that she lost early at Wimbledon to a woman she should have beaten, her early exit from the USO where she's always done well, and the final she lost against Ivanovic (I think). Her ranking may have been slightly higher had she done better in those three situations.

At the same time I'm very frustrated with her because she still hasn't learned the lesson she should have learned during her first career: fitness is paramount. Martina has the ability to beat anyone on any given day. But it's hard for her because she has to work extra hard against these women and it wipes her out. Just like back in the old days. She would beat Venus one day, then get beaten the next because the previous match took so much out of her.

There's no question that Hingis is still one of the greatest strikers of the ball. But until she increases her fitness level and strength, she'll continue to be "just a top10 player".

LoveFifteen
Dec 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Hingis discovered she had an iron deficiency problem towards the end of this year, and she's now taking iron supplements. I am hoping that this will improve her fitness and stamina.

She is not boring. I loved watching her matches at the YEC.

vwfan
Dec 11th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Martina has had a great comeback year, better than anyone would have expected. I've been impressed.

I loved the Martina-Venus rivalry. It was one of the best and I hope they can play some more great matches together (Venus getting and staying injury free will be critical). Could only help the WTA, if they were both playing top flight tennis again.

LoveFifteen
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Martina has had a great comeback year, better than anyone would have expected. I've been impressed.

I loved the Martina-Venus rivalry. It was one of the best and I hope they can play some more great matches together (Venus getting and staying injury free will be critical). Could only help the WTA, if they were both playing top flight tennis again.

Yes, I hope the tennis gods are kind to us and grant us a few more matches like the 99 US Open SF, 00 US Open SF, 00 Wimbledon QF, etc.

Oh, who am I kidding? I just want more 01 Australian Open SFs. :devil: jk

Stamp Paid
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Still a bitch.
But gives you more to laugh at now than before.

Steffica Greles
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Martina surprised me greatly initially because I had been led to believe that she was physically incapable of returning to the tour. It did not surprise me that she had lost none of her skills because she is a natural talent and will always have that dexterity in her hands.

I think Martina has done extremely well to reach as high as 7th, and may go higher next year. But I do think there are players ranked below her (Venus, Serena, Ivanovic, Vaidisova) with the ability to hit her off the court.

Her title in Kolkata was a ludicrous addition to her CV, and a cynical attempt to by-pass the rest of the top ten without facing them, Pennetta style.

LoveFifteen
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Her title in Kolkata was a ludicrous addition to her CV, and a cynical attempt to by-pass the rest of the top ten without facing them, Pennetta style.

Or it was one friend doing another friend (and AO mixed doubles partner) a favor by promoting tennis in India?! :rolleyes:

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Personally I love her even more now. In her first career she was always beating up on my faves like Seles, Kournikova, etc. :p And I'm usually not one who cheers for the dominating type unless their game is really my favorite style and truly captivates me... not that Martina wasnt fun to watch, but she wasnt my favorite.

Now shes the underdog and people dont expect her to win against any big hitters. I'm a sucker for underdogs and comeback stories. I love seeing her do well these days. :)

G~Playa
Dec 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM
its gonna be interesting to see how she backs up next season after such a successful comeback year

Steffica Greles
Dec 12th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Or it was one friend doing another friend (and AO mixed doubles partner) a favor by promoting tennis in India?! :rolleyes:

No, it wasn't.

frenchie
Dec 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Martina was my sunshine in a very boring year!

her different game compared to other players like Sharapova is very attractive and creative which is a good thing.

Let's go Martina and reach the very top again!!

MyskinaManiac
Dec 12th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Martina was my sunshine in a very boring year!

her different game compared to other players like Sharapova is very attractive and creative which is a good thing.

Let's go Martina and reach the very top again!!

I agree Frenchie! I think the world of tennis will be turned upsidedown when Nastya and Martina begin their duopoly of the slams. Let the beautiful tennis take over!

Shimizu Amon
Dec 12th, 2006, 04:52 PM
She still has a nice game, but to me it's a style that doesn't belong in modern tennis no more.

StarDuvallGrant
Dec 12th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Glad she came back. Added something interesting to the women's game and I appreciated that.

spencercarlos
Dec 12th, 2006, 10:17 PM
No, it wasn't.
Hingis started playing big tournaments in the first place, and it was not like she was entering in a alot of events in the second half of the year to suppose she was just buying cheap points everywhere, your assumption does not make sense.
In fact Hingis played 12 events from January to June and just 7 the rest of the year, in fact she made a poor schedule in my opinion because she put herself in a position to lose her masters spot, instead of playing the bunch Tier II events played during this time and also skiped Tier I Moscow.

hingisGOAT
Dec 13th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I give Steffica's trolling in this thread a 2/10.

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/9864/ownedtwicexy012a95b8akq1.jpg

LeRoy.
Dec 13th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I think if i were a Hingis fan i'd be proud of her achievements this year but i would want to see her go deep into the second week at the AO and RG next year and even win one (the RG title would be a fairytale given all that has happened)

iWill
Dec 13th, 2006, 03:42 AM

I honestly have to say that she surprised me but when i thought back to how smart she plays on the court its not hard to see her bouncing back so fast i think next year she'll have a better second half of the year then this one and contend for some slams even more (and this is good coming from me cuz i cant stand her lol)

LUIS9
Dec 13th, 2006, 03:44 AM
LOL, at least you're honest.

I think Hingis had a great comeback. The disappoints for me were that she lost early at Wimbledon to a woman she should have beaten, her early exit from the USO where she's always done well, and the final she lost against Ivanovic (I think). Her ranking may have been slightly higher had she done better in those three situations.

At the same time I'm very frustrated with her because she still hasn't learned the lesson she should have learned during her first career: fitness is paramount. Martina has the ability to beat anyone on any given day. But it's hard for her because she has to work extra hard against these women and it wipes her out. Just like back in the old days. She would beat Venus one day, then get beaten the next because the previous match took so much out of her.

There's no question that Hingis is still one of the greatest strikers of the ball. But until she increases her fitness level and strength, she'll continue to be "just a top10 player".

I totally agree, her fitness and stamina has not impressed me one bit. At times she looked a lot older than her age, looking so sluggish and rigid at times with her movement. I guess one can't blame her she did not play professionally for over three years. Nonetheless, I'd expect her to be fitter and have her stamina issues well under control by this new years upcoming aussie open.

A'DAM
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I think she is an amazing personality :worship:

Hagar
Dec 13th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I always thought of her as a spoiled brat, apart from being a very good tennisplayer of course. But since her comeback, I have really come to like her. She has matured a lot and I have huge respect for the fact that she came back, despite knowing that she would most probably lose against the power players. That is what indeed happened but at the same time she gave the tour a big extra value. Martina plays a wonderful, smart tennis, technically very sound. It's a joy to watch for the audience, and I think the young players should be obliged to watch her play because she shows how tennis should be played.
Coming back after 3 years, making it to the top 10, qualify for the YEC, winning Rome, this is simply an awesome achievement. The best thing is that Martina seems to really enjoy tennis, despite not winning Slams and being number 1.
I hope she continues to play for some more years.