PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay's Legacy

Lindsayfan32
Dec 9th, 2006, 10:56 AM
As much as it pains me to say it. Lindsay could be playing her last season in 2007 with a tournament schedule of 7 -8 tournaments next year the end will come soon.

I put a question on Lindsay's legacy to on the baseline Friday forum and here's the response I got.

ďLindsay Davenport looks like [she may be] retiring at the end of next year with playing 7 - 8 tournaments next - its pretty safe to say so. My question is this: what would her legacy be if she never played another match? Also, do [you] think she underachieved like most other people do?Ē

Her legacy will not hinge on the results of next season or any other matches in the future, as far as I am concerned.
Unless of course she was able to grab that elusive fourth Grand Slam title.

Lindsay Davenport is one of the few players that genuinely appears to be comfortable in her own shoes, and she has been an excellent role model and spokesperson for the game. If she was to announce her retirement tomorrow, she will be remembered for being a considerate and thoughtful person, a skilled competitor, and most of all, a true champion.

As for the underachieving issue, I think it depends on whether you look at the glass as being half-empty or half-full. We all know Lindsay has blown her several chances at another major title, by going 0-4 in her last four Grand Slam finals.

But then again, I donít know how she can be considered an underachiever with fifty-one singles titles to her credit and ninety-eight weeks at number one in the world. I do believe that she could have done more, especially at the Grand Slams, but regardless, she is still one of Americaís greatest champions and a shoe-in for the Tennis Hall of Fame.

I want to know what people on the TOP board think. I think this response is on the money and well balanced its just my personal opinion. Another thing what to you all think Lindsay's legacy will be?

Dave.
Dec 9th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Nice post Lindsayfan:)

I think Lindsay is one of the all-time greats. She is near the top for things like most titles, most weeks at no.1, that sort of stuff....

I definetely think she should have won more slams, but her consistency in the slams has been amazing. She has been in the second week of a slam nearly every time she has played. When you look at her Grand Slam titles it seems she has underachieved, but when you look at the amount of QF's and SF's etc. she has been in, it is impossible to say she has underachieved.

Lindsay is one of the few players to successfully combine singles and doubles. 51 singles titles and 36 doubles titles are legendary numbers.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Lindsay is a Hall of Famer.

I have this theory with the under/over achieving thing, which is similar to what is described in the opening post.
I have always said that it depends on how you look at it. If you look at her as a 30 year old, with everything she has accomplised, you can say that yes, she should have won more. She should have more slams.

But, if you look at her as that chubby teenager who turned pro in 1993 who no one gave a second look at to be any sort of a factor at the top of tennis; she has blown that thought out of the water.

I wish she could have won more. I do, and I do think if she was a touch faster and a touch more mentally stable on court that she would have.

Lindsay, at her core as a player will be remember as that big girl with the laser groundstrokes. The sound of her shots and their accuracy. Her balance between on court and off court throughout her career. And being a great interview for anyone.

But she'll always be a champion. Always. :)

The Daviator
Dec 9th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Lindsay is a Hall of Famer.

I have this theory with the under/over achieving thing, which is similar to what is described in the opening post.
I have always said that it depends on how you look at it. If you look at her as a 30 year old, with everything she has accomplised, you can say that yes, she should have won more. She should have more slams.

But, if you look at her as that chubby teenager who turned pro in 1993 who no one gave a second look at to be any sort of a factor at the top of tennis; she has blown that thought out of the water.

I wish she could have won more. I do, and I do think if she was a touch faster and a touch more mentally stable on court that she would have.

Lindsay, at her core as a player will be remember as that big girl with the laser groundstrokes. The sound of her shots and their accuracy. Her balance between on court and off court throughout her career. And being a great interview for anyone.

But she'll always be a champion. Always. :)

Those are pretty much my exact thoughts on the subject too :)

mike/topgun
Dec 9th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I never thought Lindsay could play for so long with all the injuries...and play with success after those devastating 2002 and 2003 seasons.
She has so much potential in her that got wasted, but still who would've thought, few years back, that this big fat girl will win majors.
She proved her talent, but didn't achieve as much as she could, mainly due to her rather poor fitness and mental collapsses=lack of motivation.
Next year will probably be her last year on tour and we should not count for major titles, though I guess we wouldn't like to see Lindsay playing like she did in Beijing Vs Momo. I hope she won't play that bad ever again.
You write a lot bout Lindsay's offcourt profile, but what I admire the most in her, is her game, that when is on seems purely unstoppable.:worship:

tennisboi
Dec 25th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Lindsay did everything in the game of the tennis we could have expected her to do. She won every big tournament except the French Open and Miami but she won everything else at least once. That’s an amazing feat which only a few players have achieved in their careers and that's why Lindsay is a true great in everyone's book and I’ll personally look back on her career with happiness and even though we had heart break over the last few years especially at Wimbledon 04 and 05, US Open 04 and OZ 05 they were seasons I thought she'd never have again especially after the 02 and 03 injury blighted seasons. Lindsay always did herself and her fans proud and for me that will be her legacy

Lindsayfan32
Dec 25th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Lindsay did everything in the game of the tennis we could have expected her to do. She won every big tournament except the French Open and Miami but she won everything else at least once. Thatís an amazing feat which only a few players have achieved in their careers and that's why Lindsay is a true great in everyone's book and Iíll personally look back on her career with happiness and even though we had heart break over the last few years especially at Wimbledon 04 and 05, US Open 04 and OZ 05 they were seasons I thought she'd never have again especially after the 02 and 03 injury blighted seasons. Lindsay always did herself and her fans proud and for me that will be her legacy

I totally agree with you tennisboi this is very well put. She may not have won that fourth slam but she still had a great career no one saw coming and this is way I will remember her.

tennisboi
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Following a player like Lindsay was interesting she never had massive highs or lows like for example Serena who held all GS at once but we never saw her slip outside the worlds top 100 or have losses to players like Craybas or TianTian she was consistent at slams and more so at tier 1's and tier 2's she never let herself down she always gave 100% and she was some one with huge respect for other's and was gracious in victory as well as in defeat

I'll miss her style of play no one could strike the ball as well as she could from side to side match in match out. Like John McEnroe said she was the best striker of a tennis ball ever man or woman and her style of play will be missed greatly and it will leave a void in woman’s tennis because styles like Lindsay's are dying out and there is no one left who comes close to her it just leaves the general game more one dimensional

harry121
Dec 30th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Hi, i'm new this forum, though having been in viewing mode for a year or so now. I know it is a very odd time to start posting in a forum about Lindsay, when she has most likely played her last professional match. But for me I couldn't let her leave without saying what i think her greatest legacy to tennis was.

And for me, it was that she made went to watch it. I actually cared about the results, i was interested in what was happening in the tour and i learnt more about tennis in the last couple years since following lindsay than i have in the previous 20.

I always loved the fact that Lindsay had a life beyond tennis. Her man, her family and friends always came first, before her career. And i think that is a great lesson to everyone.

For Lindsay, tennis was great; and for tennis, Lindsay was great.

I hope this forum continues, because i honestly don't believe this is the last we will hear of the Divine Mrs Leach ... and its all nice to chat to other fans of someone so special!

RayRob
Dec 30th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Welcome Harry! Lindsay seems to be accumulating a following from down under which is great.

For me it's the fact that Lindsay kept her family life separate from tennis. You never saw her parents and family on tour...except for now and again, and even then they took a back seat and didn't get overly excited in matches.

I respect Lindsay for that and the fact that family means everything to her...she is such a great example of how the attitudes of people not only in tennis, but in society should be.

My final word is that Lindsay's attitude towards her opponent's was always impeccable. She never really dissed them, and if someone took offence to something she said, she would apologise. Very sportsman-like and as I always say about her, "Gracious in defeat, humble in victory".

Rache

lindsayno1
Jan 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
will she actually be playing in any tournaments though?! I thought she was done! btw ive no clue whats going on - ive just got back from america!

RayRob
Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
will she actually be playing in any tournaments though?! I thought she was done! btw ive no clue whats going on - ive just got back from america!

LOL, the counrty of her residence and the media don't speak of it. :lol: I'm just kidding, I guess if you've been on hols, you don't look for these.

Hope you had a great time!!!
Rache

lindsayno1
Jan 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
LOL! I didnt even look at teh news or whatever! Well apart from knowing Saddam had been executed!

lindsayno1
Jan 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
the nearest I got to tennis whilst over there was going into the nike shop and seeing a pic of serena williams and the nike tennis clothing from the french open!!!