PDA

View Full Version : Is Hillary Clinton too old for presidency?

GoDominique
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Just wondering.

She's 59 now. At the end of an 8-year presidency she would be 69.
For a female, this could be problematic.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Just wondering.

:lol: :tape: 69

---

i dont know; she has lost some of her vibrancy though.

LH2HBH
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:39 PM
??? What

Ellery
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I don't think it will be a problem.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I don't think it will be a problem.

i dont think it'll be a problem either. it may hurt her image slightly though, so slightly that no one is going to mention it, but not really a "problem".

i think more of a problem is her moderate stance on so many things. it may turn enough democrats sour to vote for another party. i'm non-partisan but im iffy on voting for her as president right now.

Steffica Greles
Nov 30th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Just wondering.

That's not old for a male President.

It is only problematic if voters make it problematic. The woman has more experience in politics than probably anybody in the democratic world.

In Britain our youngest PM of the 20th century was elected -- Tony Blair. He was 44 years of age.

He went on to lead us into one of the most disastrous and ill-thought-out fiascos in Britain's history.

So I hope the Americans decide wisely.

drake3781
Nov 30th, 2006, 12:09 AM
That's not old for a male President.

It is only problematic if voters make it problematic. The woman has more experience in politics than probably anybody in the democratic world.

In Britain our youngest PM of the 20th century was elected -- Tony Blair. He was 44 years of age.

He went on to lead us into one of the most disastrous and ill-thought-out fiascos in Britain's history.

So I hope the Americans decide wisely.

I agree 100%, and this is precisely the reason that while many want to see Obama run and be elected President now, I think we will have an even better Obama as president with more experience gained. I take the long view.

Sally Struthers
Nov 30th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Reagan was 69 when elected the 1st time

Steffica Greles
Nov 30th, 2006, 12:16 AM
I agree 100%, and this is precisely the reason that while many want to see Obama run and be elected President now, I think we will have an even better Obama as president with more experience gained. I take the long view.

Many of us in Britain love following American elections. Other than our own, there are none that capture as much interest. Ask the average Briton the political break-down and gossip in France or Germany and they'll give you blank stares. Actually, so would I for the most part.

I think obviously this is because America is the world's most powerful country. But I think it also shows that there is some bond still alive.

Hillary Clinton is, for the most part, very popular in Britain. She has gravitas and an air of authority.

Having said that, having read about her positionings, she is a little too savvy for my liking. Too much political manouevring and not enough real substance or convictions. That's my outside impression.

I think this Obama sounds a good candidate, although is he not a youngster?

As for the Republicans, I sincerely hope they do not get in again, but if they must, I think McCain sounds about the best choice. He's not a neo-con and nor is he an evangelist. And he does seem to take global warming seriously.

samsung101
Nov 30th, 2006, 05:22 PM
She looks better now than she did 10 years ago.
Botox is a good thing.
She's been resting for two weeks the papers say...
translation, she had some more work done.

I don't care for Hillary at all. It pains me to listen to
her speak on anything.

But, she does look better than ever right now.
In 2 years, she'll be fine.

She's taking the Nancy Pelosi route, do what you
need to do to look younger. Nancy has had too
much done, don't go that far Hillary.

But, too old? Nah.

McCain is older, and he's still a top candidate.

She'll be fine.

She's getting into fighting form. Ready to straddle that
middle ground in Congress. Neither the far left liberal
(which is her true color) or the far right conservative
(a bad word to her).

She'll look downright moderate compared to Pelosi and
Conyers.

That's her goal.

To appear middle of the road.

But, it's really middle of the road compared to San Francisco
and Berkeley.

Paneru
Nov 30th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Stupid! :rolleyes:

If she were a man, this wouldn't
even be a topic of discussion.

Rollo
Nov 30th, 2006, 08:10 PM
It's not an issue for her IMO.

The one person who might have an "age' issue is McCain-he'll be
the oldest major candidate by far.

Hagar
Nov 30th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Just wondering.

Why would age be more of a problem for a woman than for a man? Statistically, a woman of 69 is usually in better health than a man of 69. Women also live longer than men.

Helen Lawson
Nov 30th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Why would age be more of a problem for a woman than for a man? Statistically, a woman of 69 is usually in better health than a man of 69. Women also live longer than men.

Especially if the man's married to Helen!

Ryan
Nov 30th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't vote for McCain simply because he has huge freakin jowls, he looks like a turkey! As sad as it may sound, I think 'looks' should play a certain role in voting for a candidate, because they represent your country to the world. Obviously it should not prevent someone from being president if they're qualified, but I think 'appeal' like that is somewhat significant.

Scotso
Nov 30th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Why is it problematic "for a female."

Don't women generally outlive men?

I don't think 59 is old in today's society.

Wigglytuff
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:42 PM
what a completely stupid thread.

kittyking
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Hillary Clinton doesnt seem to have very strong values IMO
First she wanted to go to Iraq, then increase numbers there........

kittyking
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't vote for McCain simply because he has huge freakin jowls, he looks like a turkey! As sad as it may sound, I think 'looks' should play a certain role in voting for a candidate, because they represent your country to the world. Obviously it should not prevent someone from being president if they're qualified, but I think 'appeal' like that is somewhat significant.

I wouldnt mind being McCain being president, hes probably the most well known democrat senator here in New Zealand and he seems like a very genuine man with a very good view of the world (he doesnt make silly movies like Al Gore and he doesnt start an unwinable war in Iraq like George Bush)

GoDominique
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:52 PM
It is common knowledge that showing age is a lot less problematic for a man's image than for a woman's, whether you like it or not.
That's what I'm referring to, and not to possible health problems.

kittyking
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:53 PM
It is common knowledge that showing age is a lot less problematic for a man's image than for a woman's, whether you like it or not.

I must admit, I agree with you on that

Ryan
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I wouldnt mind being McCain being president, hes probably the most well known democrat senator here in New Zealand and he seems like a very genuine man with a very good view of the world (he doesnt make silly movies like Al Gore and he doesnt start an unwinable war in Iraq like George Bush)

He's Republican. ;)

kittyking
Nov 30th, 2006, 11:02 PM
He's Republican. ;)

Oh real! Never realised :lol:

*JR*
Nov 30th, 2006, 11:19 PM
No, but "St. John" has called for sending many more targets troops there. (And kissed Jerry Falwell's butt for a year now, looking for the fundamentalist vote).

Scotso
Dec 1st, 2006, 02:32 AM

Sorry, but I don't agree.

Porcupine
Dec 1st, 2006, 02:41 AM
Old? No I don't think so. I personally think she's the perfect one for presidency.

samsung101
Dec 1st, 2006, 05:17 PM
Barring any huge scandal, health issue, or unforseen issue,
Hillary Clinton will be President in 2008.

The GOP will lose votes to a 3rd party anti-amnesty candidate.
Not many, but, more than enough to do what Ross Perot did
in 1992 and 1996.

The GOP right now, unless something happens to change
the trend, cannot win the states of Colorado, New Mexico,
Ohio, or Pennsylvania in 2008.

Hillary is the perfect age to be President. Late 50's, early
60's is typical.

samsung101
Dec 1st, 2006, 05:22 PM
McCain's appearance is also due in part to his POW treatment.
HIs arm, stance, speech, and yes face, changed dramatically.

Look at a photo of him as a Naval officer before his POW torture
(real torture, not underwear on the head) for years, and after,
and he's a different person.

I don't care for a lot of what he does and says, and his RINO
tendencies...but, his appearance isn't something I have any issue
with.

Personally, I thought Clinton looked like W. C. Fields, and Carter looked
like Mr. Rogers with big teeth. Reagan, seriously, we know he dyed his
hair. Bush haters think he looks like a chimp or Mad magazine covers.
If you don't like the person, it's not hard to find something to dislike.
If looks mattered that much, John Edwards and Mitt Romney would be
the party candidates.

KV
Dec 1st, 2006, 05:37 PM
No!

Marcus Jordan
Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:25 PM
How could it be a problem? Males actually die a couple of years younger than females, so why would HClinton's being 69 when she leaves the White House be an issue?

timafi
Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:55 PM
ain't McCain an old rat?:rolleyes:

Lord Nelson
Dec 2nd, 2006, 01:10 PM
ain't McCain an old rat?:rolleyes:

No, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia came to power when he was 81. So 72 is young compared to him. In any case people nowadays age better. So McCain and Clinton are maybe old but they are in good shape.