PDA

View Full Version : man put a 10-month-old baby girl into a freezer to try lower her temperature!

tennislover
Nov 29th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Freezer final option for girl: accused

Man faces charges of abusing infant

By Mike Carson
The Guardian

SUMMERSIDE — Claiming he had run out of options, a 21-year-old Alberton man put a 10-month-old baby girl into a refrigerator’s freezer to try and lower her temperature.

Derrick Leigh Hardy went on trial in provincial court here Thursday, charged with abandoning a child, assault, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and confinement on the baby girl.

Hardy has been living with the child’s mother in Alberton for nearly 27 months and was residing with her when the victim was born.

Hardy did not take the stand Thursday, but through a joint agreement between Crown prosecutor John Diamond and defence counsel Robert McNeill, the court viewed a one-hour and 49- minute videotaped RCMP interview with the accused recorded the day after the incident was reported to police.

Hardy told police his girlfriend had gone out around 11 p.m. the night of May 15, leaving him to look after the 10-month-old girl and her four-year-old son.

He admitted he has no real parenting skills to deal with a child in need, but both children were asleep when the mother left — the boy on the couch and the baby in a car seat on the floor of the couple’s living room. Hardy said he went to get a drink of water and when he looked in on the children the baby had slipped out of her car seat and was face down on the floor.

He said when he picked her up her face “was scalding hot.’’ He said he got a cold cloth and put it on the baby’s forehead but it didn’t lower her temperature. He said he then carried the child to the back porch stairs hoping the cool night air would help. That didn’t work.

He repeated both procedures and still there was no change in the child’s temperature.He went to the refrigerator, opened the freezer door and placed the baby, dressed in a full t-shirt, on her side inside the freezer with her head towards the hinged side of the freezer door and her feet towards the handled portion.

He said the child was in the freezer no longer than 40 seconds before the mother arrived back at their duplex. The trial continues today at 9 a.m.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/photos/stories/1124courts.jpg

:tape: :tape: :tape: :help:

!<blocparty>!
Nov 29th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Er... what was the "bodily harm" to the baby then?

The article says he had no parenting skills... he's just really, really stupid. :shrug:

skanky~skanketta
Nov 29th, 2006, 01:52 PM
if that's his daughter, then well...i wonder who was stupid enough to sleep with him.

either way, he needs to go to prison for a while just for being a dumbass.

Kunal
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:04 PM
some ppl i dunno how their minds work

Wigglytuff
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:16 PM
dude needs so serious jail time

tenn_ace
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:19 PM
some ppl should never be allowed to have kids.

controlfreak
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:45 PM
this guy needs to team up with the woman who microwaved her kid.

I can SO see a business opportunity here...

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 29th, 2006, 03:45 PM
ok so what do we have left...

a washing mashine
a clothes dryer
a dishwashing machine
a garbage disposal... :scared:

Wigglytuff
Nov 29th, 2006, 03:51 PM

a washing mashine
a clothes dryer
a dishwashing machine

i have already heard stories of children ending up in washers and dryers.

The_Pov
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:06 PM
i have already heard stories of children ending up in washers and dryers.

How????

It's stories like this that make think we should sterilize thick people. (BTW that was a joke...I know some of you were born without functioning senses of humour)

Sally Struthers
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:38 PM

a washing mashine
a clothes dryer
a dishwashing machine

does anyone remember on MTV's Cribs when Mariah Carey's dog popped out of the dryer? :lol:

tenn_ace
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:39 PM

to fry you? :rolleyes:

tennislover
Nov 29th, 2006, 08:27 PM
dude needs so serious jail time

yes, in the Moron County Prison! ;)

tennislover
Nov 29th, 2006, 08:33 PM
...i wonder who was stupid enough to sleep with him.

right

.....I still wonder how a woman slept with and married Tom Cruise! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kart
Nov 29th, 2006, 10:40 PM
How????

I seem to remember reading a sad story of an innocent young boy putting his baby sister into the dryer because she was wet and he wanted to help her dry or something like that.

Some of those tales are truly tragic.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 29th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think he deserves jail time? :shrug:

Rocketta
Nov 29th, 2006, 10:53 PM
under stress people can do really insane things....a lot of times these are everyday normal people who make horrid horrid mistakes. I think about the people who aren't use to taking their kids to daycare but one day they have to do it and they go on automatic pilot and go straight to work and get out leaving the sleeping baby in the backseat. Unfortunately by time they remember their baby is dead. :( It's the type of mistake you can't understand how they will every forgive themselves but some things are just mistakes, or poor choices but they have no malice behind them. :(

Sad Story.....but I hope the baby will be ok.

kittyking
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Lock him up, charge the mother too!

UDACHi
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think he deserves jail time? :shrug:

i think people are way overreacting. but then again, if the mother HADN'T come home, this could have been a real tragedy. who knows how long he planned to leave the baby in for? :unsure:

Wigglytuff
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:29 PM
i think people are way overreacting. but then again, if the mother HADN'T come home, this could have been a real tragedy. who knows how long he planned to leave the baby in for? :unsure:

the question is not are people over reacting, the question is : does a baby need to die for people to call cruelty and abuse when its this clear?

quasar
Nov 30th, 2006, 03:12 AM

:lol:

!<blocparty>!

Am I the only one who doesn't think he deserves jail time?

No. In law, a delictive act comprises the "mens rea" (criminal mind) as well as "actus rea" (criminal act). Apparently, he lacked the former and, in my personal opinion, commiting a honest mistake--however incredibly stupid--is not cause enough to convict someone for the latter. Sure, it's tragic what happenned to the baby, but that not justifies jailing someone for being a dumbass--unless you consider having no common sense a crime.

(Granted, I'm not a lawyer, and the aforementioned legal babble I learnt from watching Legally Blonde, as crazy at it may sound!).

Btw, it should be studied whether this dude had previously demonstrated such idiotic behavior. If he had, and the mother knew about it, she should definitely be charged for negligence, leaving her kid with such a moron.

Cheers,

Carlos