PDA

View Full Version : Mom charged with baby's microwave death

Infiniti2001
Nov 28th, 2006, 10:22 PM
DAYTON, Ohio (AP) -- A mother was arrested on suspicion of murdering her newborn daughter by microwaving the baby in an oven.

China Arnold, 26, was jailed Monday on a charge of aggravated murder, more than a year after she brought her dead month-old baby to a hospital. Bail was set Tuesday at $1 million.

"We have reason to believe, and we have some forensic evidence that is consistent with our belief, that a microwave oven was used in this death," said Ken Betz, director of the Montgomery County coroner's office.

He said the evidence included high-heat internal injuries and the absence of external burn marks on the baby, Paris Talley.

Arnold was arrested soon after the baby's death in August 2005, then was released while authorities investigated further. Betz said the case was difficult because "there is not a lot of scientific research and data on the effect of microwaves on human beings."

The death was ruled a homicide caused by hyperthermia, or high body temperature. The absence of external burns ruled out an open flame, scalding water or a heating pad as the cause, Betz said.

Arnold's lawyer, Jon Paul Rion, said his client had nothing to do with her child's death and was stunned when investigators told her that a microwave might have been involved. (Watch the mother's lawyer insist she's innocent Video)

"China -- as a mother and a person -- was horrified that such an act could occur," Rion said.

The night before the baby was taken to the hospital, Arnold and the child's father went out for a short time and left Paris with a baby sitter, Rion said. The mother didn't sense anything out of the ordinary until the next morning, when the child was found unconscious, Rion said.

Arnold has three other children.

In 2000, a Virginia woman was sentenced to five years in prison for killing her month-old son in a microwave oven. Elizabeth Renee Otte claimed she had no memory of cramming her son in the microwave and turning on the appliance in 1999.

Experts said that Otte suffered from epilepsy and that her seizures were followed by blackouts.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/11/28/baby.microwave.ap/index.html

RVD
Nov 28th, 2006, 10:40 PM
OMG!!
But how do the authorities know for certain? :scratch:
It's never justice when the evidence is circumstantial. Though people are jailed in this way all the time. Yet another reason why I've stated that the judicial system doesn't work.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 28th, 2006, 10:41 PM
o_O;

maybe its one of those spontaneous combustion things lol

Staticbeef
Nov 28th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Excuse me Infinity, you know you are the very bestest and I am #1 in your fan club but.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
***Get the F**ck outa here*** This is freaking unbelievable

controlfreak
Nov 29th, 2006, 12:29 AM
This is a classic case of someone not reading the manual before using an appliance. Everybody knows that babies should be cooked slowly, on the defrost setting, to ensure the meat is cooked through to the centre.

Erika_Angel
Nov 29th, 2006, 01:23 AM
This is a classic case of someone not reading the manual before using an appliance. Everybody knows that babies should be cooked slowly, on the defrost setting, to ensure the meat is cooked through to the centre.

The thought of putting any living thing in a microwave is totally disgusting but I did snicker at that post (I tried not to I swear).

Yeh, it is hard to tell though obviously because they cannot be sure the baby was microwaved. Very VERY disturbing thought though, babies, animals etc in microwaves. Scary.

kabuki
Nov 29th, 2006, 01:30 AM
What a hideous way to die. :sad:

klok
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:17 AM
WOW! if she really did that she automatically becomes one of the worst people to step foot on this earth. That is just plain WRONG.

tenn_ace
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:19 AM

I guess, this is supposed to be funny :scratch:

tenn_ace
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:21 AM
I just have no words................

quasar
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Probably the mother is a Hulk fan and microwaved the kid in the vain hopes of giving him enhanced powers.

(Evidently, she's a dumbass: logic dictates 1st to microwave the cat. If succesful, proceed with the kid).

Cheers,

Carlos

Buitenzorg
Nov 29th, 2006, 03:16 AM
OMG....so inhuman that was :mad: she should get death penalty :mad:

quasar
Nov 29th, 2006, 03:47 AM
OMG....so inhuman that was she should get death penalty
They should fry her ass in a microwave chamber.

Cheers,

Carlos

Haute
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:20 AM
I always thought it was bad enough when people did this to animals, but I never thought I'd hear of anyone doing it to a baby. :scared:

quasar
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:42 AM
At least she didn't froze the baby in the fridge. I reckon that would have been even worst.

Cheers,

Carlos

drake3781
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:49 AM
At least she didn't froze the baby in the fridge. I reckon that would have been even worst.

Cheers,

Carlos

I just read a story yesterday about this happening! The man did not know how to take care of a child and he was left with a child, who had a fever, and he put the child in the freezer. The child had injuries from it and the man was arrested. He was trying to cool the child's fever.

drake3781
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:55 AM
This story is getting a lot of news here as I live right by Dayton, OH.

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/B/bc99fb95-d76a-4d01-a127-757bae0bc08d-big.jpg

I don't know why, but I always end up feeling sorry for these mothers, and empathizing with them. This woman had four children by the age of 25. My life at 25 was pretty easy in comparison, and my only responsibilities were for myself. I know it is her fault for getting pregnant so many times, but better education would surely have changed her fate. She must have been overwhelmed with three, then the fourth one comes along....

Do I have to say I am in now way excusing what she did by killing the baby? If I don't, I suppose someone will write that it is no excuse. I'm just saying it is a very sad situation all around, for her, the baby, and her family.

Andy.
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:57 AM
OMG that just makes me so ill

Haute
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:59 AM
I smell what you're steppin' in. She's a victim of the circumstances, doesn't excuse what she did (killing anyone, let alone an infant is never okay), but it puts it into perspective. She had her choices in life, just never made the right ones.

hdfb
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:06 AM
omg that is crazy. she deserves a life sentence.

hdfb
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:09 AM
You know it's crazy here in Australia. 8 different people killed 8 different babies, and the total of all their jail terms added up to 64 years. That's 8 years on average each person for taking an innocent infants life.

People ALWAYS plead under their "circumstances" of hardship or mental suffering just to appeal to our emotions, and it sucks that each time the law falls for it.

Maybe the person was going through a hard time that I will never ever comprehend, but I still do not think such lenient jail terms are the way to go.

Kunal
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:12 AM
speechless

Wigglytuff
Nov 29th, 2006, 07:07 AM
this is fucking sick.

hope she fucking gets life in jail.

Wigglytuff
Nov 29th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Probably the mother is a Hulk fan and microwaved the kid in the vain hopes of giving him enhanced powers.

(Evidently, she's a dumbass: logic dictates 1st to microwave the cat. If succesful, proceed with the kid).

Cheers,

Carlos

fucking sickos the lot of you.

alfonsojose
Nov 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
:eek: She misunderstood the "baby beef" recipe :tape:

tenn_ace
Nov 29th, 2006, 04:39 PM
:eek: She misunderstood the "baby beef" recipe :tape:

not funny...

I don't think this horror is a good material for even half ass jokes :rolleyes:

quasar
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Wigglytuff:
Whatever rocks your self-righteous, politically correct boat...The baby was assasinated in cold-blood (actually, warm, since he was microwaved), and there's nothing my words or yours can do to bring him back, bring solace to his family or justice to the homicidal maniac who gave birth to him. It's simple pragmatism.

I do congratulate drake's and Sol Apollo's well-balanced pespectives about this matter. Even if macabre acts such as this are not justifiable, trying to comprehend its root causes is a step forward. Evil, as everything in life, is not B&W, but has shades of gray.

Cheers,

Carlos

tenn_ace
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Wigglytuff:

Whatever rocks your self-righteous, politically correct boat...The baby was assasinated in cold-blood (actually, warm, since he was microwaved), and there's nothing my words or yours can do to bring him back, bring solace to his family or justice to the homicidal maniac who gave birth to him. It's simple pragmatism.

I do congratulate drake's and Sol Apollo's well-balanced pespectives about this matter. Even if macabre acts such as this are not justifiable, trying to comprehend its root causes is a step forward. Evil, as everything in life, is not B&W, but has shades of gray.

Cheers,

Carlos

now imagine an asshole like youself making a joke when you baby dies or killed this way? would you still feel the same way?

Dawn Marie
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Yeah this pissed me off. It happened 25 minutes away so it is all over the news here in Springfield!

She looked like she has no remorse. No crying or anything!! I can't believe this happened.

Wigglytuff
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Wigglytuff:

Cheers,

Carlos
oh get over your idiotic self. a baby being killed, particularly in such a cruel way is really nothing to joke about.

you can talk about shades of gray all you want but it doesnt change the fact that you are morally bankrupt. you can paint that in shades of pink and purple for all i care, you are still a sad and sick "person", i use the term "person" loosely when referring to you.

quasar
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:14 PM
now imagine an asshole like youself making a joke when you baby dies or killed this way? would you still feel the same way?

1) Do you usually go around insulting people you don't know? Does that make you feel smarter or something?

2) I gather your Q is rethorical so I'll not bother you with an answer, just a thought: Do you really think those mourning the baby's tragic death are actually reading my posts at WTAWorld? Joking about someone's grief in their presence is unacceptable cruelness. Even you must have the capacity to realize the difference between both scenarios.

(Although, judging by your rude--apparently thoughtless--reactions, perhaps I'm over-estimating you).

Cheers,

Carlos

quasar
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:20 PM
oh get over your idiotic self. a baby being killed, particularly in such a cruel way is really nothing to joke about.

you can talk about shades of gray all you want but it doesnt change the fact that you are morally bankrupt. you can paint that in shades of pink and purple for all i care, you are still a sad and sick "person", i use the term "person" loosely when referring to you.

Whoa! Freud is in da house! Such dissection of someone's personality based solely on the reading one post!

Thanks a bundle for the free assessment!!!!

Cheers,

Carlos

Wigglytuff
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:21 PM
1) Do you usually go around insulting people you don't know? Does that make you feel smarter or something?

2) I gather your Q is rethorical so I'll not bother you with an answer, just a thought: Do you really think those mourning the baby's tragic death are actually reading my posts at WTAWorld? Joking about someone's grief in their presence is unacceptable cruelness. Even you must have the capacity to realize the difference between both scenarios.

(Although, judging by your rude--apparently thoughtless--reactions, perhaps I'm over-estimating you).

Cheers,

Carlos

did you actually just call someone else rude and thoughtless?

and like all who are morally bankrupt you are a coward and a fool as well.

LoveFifteen
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Man, that is just evil. What a hideous, painful way to die. :sad:

Wigglytuff
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Yeah this pissed me off. It happened 25 minutes away so it is all over the news here in Springfield!

She looked like she has no remorse. No crying or anything!! I can't believe this happened.

:mad: :mad:

quasar
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:36 PM
did you actually just call someone else rude and thoughtless?

and like all who are morally bankrupt you are a coward and a fool as well.

You're a feisty dudette aren't you?

If you take a sec to read before you post:

--I called him "rude" in response to him calling myself "asshole." Rude is a fair assessment of his behavior, no?

--I didn't call him thoughtless. I said "apparently" thoughtless. There's an ample difference between an inference (which, by nature, may or not be correct) and a statement (which is an assertion of one's particular POV).

Look, we could go back and forth all day and it would take us nowhere.

Word to the wise, try calming your fondness for insulting people, rejoice yourself about your ethical fortitude, and go continue defending your moral high ground from those intruders who dare menace your dogmatic worldview.

Cheers,

Carlos

Wigglytuff
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:56 PM
You're a feisty dudette aren't you?

If you take a sec to read before you post:

--I called him "rude" in response to him calling myself "asshole." Rude is a fair assessment of his behavior, no?

--I didn't call him thoughtless. I said "apparently" thoughtless. There's an ample difference between an inference (which, by nature, may or not be correct) and a statement (which is an assertion of one's particular POV).

Look, we could go back and forth all day and it would take us nowhere.

Word to the wise, try calming your fondness for insulting people, rejoice yourself about your ethical fortitude, and go continue defending your moral high ground from those intruders who dare menace your dogmatic worldview.

Cheers,

Carlos

$600 vcash says this post says nothing at all. i doubt anyone read it though.

i say, get off the net and go find someone who will help stop being so morally bankrupt, rude, and otherwise lacking in human decency. hopefully someone can impart on you what your parents failed to: making repeated "jokes" about the death of a baby is pretty fucking sick, rude and just plain wrong on so many levels. its not about being politically correct its about being a decent person.

quasar
Nov 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Wigglytuff:

Sigh, guess your shrink prescribed you to go randomly insulting people online...

At least your last post was less-centered on the insulting and more on actually making a point. It's a valid premise (not an argument, because you didn't bother explaining the reasons that support it), but valid nonetheless.

That, being said, I respectfully disagree with your contention. No biggy.

Cheers,

Carlos

drake3781
Nov 29th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Wigglytuff:

Sigh, guess your shrink prescribed you to go randomly insulting people online...

At least your last post was less-centered on the insulting and more on actually making a point. It's a valid premise (not an argument, because you didn't bother explaining the reasons that support it), but valid nonetheless.

That, being said, I respectfully disagree with your contention. No biggy.

Cheers,

Carlos

Just recognize that many people find joking about a situation like this inappropriate or worse, and your better response would be to either apologize or at least stop, than bash them for criticizing you for it. You started this, and escalated it when it was better stopped.

drake3781
Nov 29th, 2006, 09:09 PM

She is crying in the only picture I see. :confused:

The death occurred a year ago; I suppose she will not be crying every moment she may be photographed.

quasar
Nov 29th, 2006, 10:37 PM
drake:

Just recognize that many people find joking about a situation like this inappropriate or worse, and your better response would be to either apologize or at least stop...
Since you cordially manifested your displeasure with my post, sure, I extend my apologies to you, as it was never my intention to upset you--or anyone else for that matter--with my comments.

:)

Cheers,

Carlos

drake3781
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:08 PM
drake:

Since you cordially manifested your displeasure with my post, sure, I extend my apologies to you, as it was never my intention to upset you--or anyone else for that matter--with my comments.

Cheers,

Carlos

Thanks... it really didn't bother me personally (other than to put a little negative/inappropriate mark in my mental column for a poster I usually otherwise like), but I understand the response from others.

But your answer is a good one. ;)

Wigglytuff
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM
drake:

Cheers,

Carlos

you make cruel "jokes" about dead children, respond like a brain-dead prick when people are displeased and then you want people to continue to be nice to you about it when you lack any human decency.

being insane as well as asinine.

you want people to be nice to you, heres a hint: dont "joke" about the death of babies.

LH2HBH
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Was she high?

Was she desperate to end the life of her child some deranged reason?

Either way she should be jailed or institutionalized for life.

Wigglytuff
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Was she high?

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Dawn Marie
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks... it really didn't bother me personally (other than to put a little negative/inappropriate mark in my mental column for a poster I usually otherwise like), but I understand the response from others.

But your answer is a good one. ;)

Yeah I see that in the picture that she shed tears.

I also agree with your assesment that it's a sad situation all around. She was young and probably lost it. I'm not excusing her actions but I feel that alot of young lives were lost. The infants,the mothers and her other children. A sad case. I wouldn't be surprised if the woman had PPD. Again no excuses but just a sad case.

She must pay for what she did.

Drake where are you located?

drake3781
Nov 30th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Yeah I see that in the picture that she shed tears.

I also agree with your assesment that it's a sad situation all around. She was young and probably lost it. I'm not excusing her actions but I feel that alot of young lives were lost. The infants,the mothers and her other children. A sad case. I wouldn't be surprised if the woman had PPD. Again no excuses but just a sad case.

She must pay for what she did.

Drake where are you located?

I'm in Cincinnati. I know you are near Dayton...:wavey:

quasar
Nov 30th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Wigglytuff:

you want people to be nice to you, heres a hint...

...being insane as well as asinine.

...respond like a brain-dead prick...

And the hits just keep on coming...

Look, I tried to be nice, but clearly you just want to provoke / call attention to yourself, and I'm getting bored with this. Count me off if you want to proceed with such a path.

You want people to be nice to you? Simply drop the attitude: Boy, you must have a huge chip on your shoulder! Such hostility! Anger mgmt. issues, anyone?

Cheers,

Carlos

Ps. Look, if this bothers you so much as to keep insulting and bad-repping, why not spam my PM inbox instead of continously hijacking the thread, and derailing it from its initial purpose?

le bon vivant
Nov 30th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Was she high?

Put to death.

harloo
Nov 30th, 2006, 02:12 AM

For the life of me, I can't even think what's funny about a derranged woman microwaving her child? Some people really are heartless pieces of trash because what type of person makes fun of a dead baby? Sick!:fiery:

When I heard about this story my mind kept envisioning the baby screaming while enduring so much pain. I nearly shed tears over that thought, how sad. What's wrong with people these days? I'm speechless.:sad: :sad:

égalité
Nov 30th, 2006, 03:00 AM
OK, so one guy puts his baby in the freezer, and then this woman puts hers in the microwave. SOME PEOPLE JUST CAN'T BE SATISFIED WITH THE TRADITIONAL INFANT BODY TEMPERATURE :rolleyes:

Wigglytuff
Nov 30th, 2006, 08:44 AM
For the life of me, I can't even think what's funny about a derranged woman microwaving her child? Some people really are heartless pieces of trash because what type of person makes fun of a dead baby? Sick!:fiery:

When I heard about this story my mind kept envisioning the baby screaming while enduring so much pain. I nearly shed tears over that thought, how sad. What's wrong with people these days? I'm speechless.:sad: :sad:

so very very true!! :sad: :sad: :sad: