PDA

View Full Version : Leona Lewis will she become X-Factor's first Mega Star - And what does the US think?

The_Pov
Nov 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Leona Lewis is a conestant on the UK's X-Factor (a bit like American Idol with Simon Cowell and Sharon Osbourne as judges)

She is being touted as the next best thing and apparently big names in the US are keeping an eye on her. So I ask is she just all hot air or does she have the potential to become a star? I'd especially like to see what the Americans think of her.

Here are a few of her perfomances:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9eGOwdLSUrM - I will Always Love You - This performance just blew me away and proved to me that she should win the show, it is almost as good as Whitney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3vwrkU6KVY&NR - Lady marmalade - A more up beat song...not her best but she was ill at the time (there is a little bit before she starts singing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoBMjYPdFg&mode=related&search= Like A Bridge Over Troubled Waters - Oh My Word...is all I have to say about this.

No girl has ever won X-Factor, I hope Leona can change that!

LoveFifteen
Nov 28th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I found out about her through PerezHilton.com because Perez loves her. I think she's amazing, and I'd love to see her become a star. Some of the songs she's done have been flawless.

Leona :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

!<blocparty>!
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I loved her performance of Summertime.

She's good.

Sugar_Kane
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM
She's nothing special, she's an average at best singer, she's got average looks and she does not deserve a record contract, she's the poor man's Beyonce, Chrstina, Mariah and Kelly.

GOOOO MACDONALD BROTHERS!!!!

DevilishAttitude
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:21 PM
:lol: Leona is black, black people don't win UK reality shows. It's a fact.

Hell, I'm white and not keen on the race card, but it's so true :tape:

Having said that, not winning could still mean lots of success. So Leona, has a small chance of creating something in the US.

Sugar_Kane
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:22 PM

:bigclap: And she can't use the race card because her mum is white

!<blocparty>!
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Having said that, not winning could still mean lots of success. So Leona, has a small chance of creating something in the US.

What black person was ever robbed of a reality show win in the UK.

A couple of gay people and a transexual have won big shows, why not a black girl?

Vacant
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:28 PM

A couple of gay people and a transexual have won big shows, why not a black girl?

Only one I can think of is Lemar, maybe. :confused:

I still think she is the favourite to win though.

Sugar_Kane
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:31 PM
The Macdonald Brothers will win they are so much more talents than shitona, and they're only 17

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gm3ZrO9Kygc

Viktymise
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM
She's good and deserves to win the show, as shes the best of the rest left but she is being waaaaaay overhyped by Simon Cowell. He gives her a standing ovation every performance and its mainly just because she's his act, he never ever gave Jennifer Huson or Latoya London standing ovations when they brought the house down on IA and ever Randy and Paula were on their feet here's ill show you's

Leona - Bridge Over Troubled Water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoBMjYPdFg&mode=related&search=

Latoya London - Dont Rain On My Parade
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yq4rRuSMDNI

Im sorry but i dont know how you give a standing ovation to Leona and not Latoya, the only downside to leona is that Simon Cowell is her mentor, he is way OTT, im sure if Leona wasnt his act he would be saying she's a 3rd rate Mariah

Anyways i hope she wins Xfactor :D

~Kiera~
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I don't see why her race should have anything to do with it. It's a sad fact but the best person doesn't always win. Anyone remember Sian and Russell from that singing show? Sian couldn't sing for tuppence, yet she won. Zoe Ball came third behind Colin and Darren in Strictly Come Dancing despite the fact she was considerably better at dancing than Darren, and some would argue Colin too. Some people just didn't take to her personality.

The fact Leona's female is probably a bigger hindrance right now.

Sugar_Kane
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM
She's good and deserves to win the show, as shes the best of the rest left but she is being waaaaaay overhyped by Simon Cowell. He gives her a standing ovation every performance and its mainly just because she's his act, he never ever gave Jennifer Huson or Latoya London standing ovations when they brought the house down on IA and ever Randy and Paula were on their feet here's ill show you's

Leona - Bridge Over Troubled Water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoBMjYPdFg&mode=related&search=

Latoya London - Dont Rain On My Parade
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yq4rRuSMDNI

Im sorry but i dont know how you give a standing ovation to Leona and not Latoya, the only downside to leona is that Simon Cowell is her mentor, he is way OTT, im sure if Leona wasnt his act he would be saying she's a 3rd rate Mariah

Anyways i hope she wins Xfactor :D

:bs: Simon always prises Ben and he's Sharon's act!

Viktymise
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM
:bs: Simon always prises Ben and he's Sharon's act!

can you please tell me where the hell i said that he didnt :scratch:

Sugar_Kane
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:53 PM
can you please tell me where the hell i said that he didnt :scratch:

You said if she wasn't his act he wouldn't be so supportive of her, but Ben's not his act!

Viktymise
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:56 PM
You said if she wasn't his act he wouldn't be so supportive of her, but Ben's not his act!

Exactly the word SO supportive of her, do you really think he would be giving her standing ovations if she was Sharon or Louis act. I dont think so, plus Ben and Leon are 2 different types of singers

Philip
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Leona's I Will Always Love You was so good.
She simply should not be in this competition, she is far too good for it.

Leona :hearts:

Philip
Nov 28th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Leona, Whitneys I Will Always Love You:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZAYPyhF7PM

:D

Parsley
Nov 28th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Average Mariah Carey clone.

ampers&
Nov 28th, 2006, 04:14 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9eGOwdLSUrM - I will Always Love You - This performance just blew me away and proved to me that she should win the show, it is almost as good as Whitney
uhm, not even close to Whitney. :lol:

anyway, she's pretty good.
her rendition of Summertime was really good, but Fantasia Barrino did it better.
she's a good singer but she can't touch the likes of Alicia Keys, Beyonce, Mariah, Jill Scott, Whitney, Celine and many others.
hell, there have been a few American Idols that sing better then her (LaToya London, Tamyra Gray, Vonzell Solomon, and Jennifer Hudson).

but she's good. :)

JonBcn
Nov 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM
The Macdonald Brothers will win they are so much more talents than shitona, and they're only 17

Are you serious?! That's the funniest thing I've ever read. I dont like either act, but to suggest these two - who have virtually no vocal range, no stage presence, no abiliity to dance, permanently look as if they're about to burst into tears and seem to have based their act on Robson and Jerome - are superior in terms of talent is laughable.

Leona's borrowed Mariah stage postures are utterly annoying, but there's no denying she has an incredible voice.

skanky~skanketta
Nov 28th, 2006, 04:38 PM
she's not that great. i dont see it.

Selah
Nov 28th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I think she has an incredible voice. I like it. I don't know why people have to go down the road of comparing her to Mariah or Whitney or Beyonce for that matter :shrug: Isn't there room for someone else? Anyway, i like her talking voice a bit better:) She definitely can have a career in US (If Rhianna can have one to name just one mediocre recording artist), especially if Simon likes her i suppose. She's also cute.

The Daviator
Nov 28th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Her best performance, by far, was Summertime, she's great, I think she'll be big :yeah:

DevilishAttitude
Nov 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM

:lol:

None.

But that doesn't change the fact that from all these shows, a black person hasn't won. Some have come 2nd, like Kelle in Love Island or Mel in BB1, but they are just not the perfect winner.

Yeah, gays, transexual and a gay loving tourettes person have won, but they were white.

I feel a little :tape: for being like this, has it usually annoys me when blacks on this board go OHH, THE WHITEZ HAVE IT BETTER THAN MY BROTHEZ OR MY SISTAHS. but it's true.

I don't see why her race should have anything to do with it. It's a sad fact but the best person doesn't always win. Anyone remember Sian and Russell from that singing show? Sian couldn't sing for tuppence, yet she won. Zoe Ball came third behind Colin and Darren in Strictly Come Dancing despite the fact she was considerably better at dancing than Darren, and some would argue Colin too. Some people just didn't take to her personality.

The fact Leona's female is probably a bigger hindrance right now.

That doesn't help, but race is a factor. Hell, even Leona's mother has siad she'll be surprised if she won, so you know :eek:

JUSTICE4ALL
Nov 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM
MegaStar? Bitch please, she's beyond average compared to the top women of American Idol. Summertime was just 'aiight', hoe don't have shit on Fantasia. NEXT!

No Name Face
Nov 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
i'm smitten. she's gorgeous and her voice is amazing.
best talent i've heard on these reality shows.

and her version of summertime is WAY better than fantasia's. then again, i can't stand fantasia.

V-MAC
Nov 28th, 2006, 05:53 PM
:lol:

None.

But that doesn't change the fact that from all these shows, a black person hasn't won. Some have come 2nd, like Kelle in Love Island or Mel in BB1, but they are just not the perfect winner.

Yeah, gays, transexual and a gay loving tourettes person have won, but they were white.

I feel a little :tape: for being like this, has it usually annoys me when blacks on this board go OHH, THE WHITEZ HAVE IT BETTER THAN MY BROTHEZ OR MY SISTAHS. but it's true.

That doesn't help, but race is a factor. Hell, even Leona's mother has siad she'll be surprised if she won, so you know :eek:

:lol: You're sounding like Dawn Marie:eek:

Anyway, I think Leona should win the X Factor ( I'm pretty sure she will do it) but I don't know if she'll have a long career out of it :shrug: Shayne Ward is already awol after barely a year
:tape: I hope she does well though, she seems like a nice person :)

No Name Face
Nov 28th, 2006, 05:57 PM

that doesn't make her not black, you idiot.

JUSTICE4ALL
Nov 28th, 2006, 05:57 PM
i'm smitten. she's gorgeous and her voice is amazing.
best talent i've heard on these reality shows.

and her version of summertime is WAY better than fantasia's. then again, i can't stand fantasia.

I know this mothasucker DID NOT just say that, now you know you've bumbed your head.

Here is a REAL performance ,classic, so emotional, I almost started crying when I saw this!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-yVXaw8yufY&mode=related&search=
:hearts:

No Name Face
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I know this mothasucker DID NOT just say that, now you know you've bumbed your head.

Here is a REAL performance ,classic, so emotional, I almost started crying when I saw this!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-yVXaw8yufY&mode=related&search=
:hearts:

different strokes for different folks. i don't like fantasia's voice and tone. period. i don't see how fantasia won and not vonzell. were they even in the same season? :confused:

Avid Merrion
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:06 PM
she's the best that the X Factor has had to offer but she's nothing that we haven't seen before. it'll probably be better for her career if she doesn't win. winning the X Factor is guaranteed career suicide rather than career longevity :lol:

Farina Elia Fan
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Leona has an amazing voice and should become a star!

I will always love you - she did it justice but I think I prefer Brenda from the previous series version, didnt simon cowell call it magical? But its not on youtube :sad:

and if I remember correctly - Verity from the 1st series sang it and murdered it but its ok because I loved Verity lol

JUSTICE4ALL
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:10 PM
different strokes for different folks. i don't like fantasia's voice and tone. period. i don't see how fantasia won and not vonzell. were they even in the same season? :confused:

No just a MASSIVE gap of talent of the top American Idol girls(Fantasia, Kelly, Jennifer, Vonzell, Carrie, Tamarya, and that british chick) Sorry she's just average to me, then again I live in the South and go to church, so I know big voices.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:14 PM
she's the best that the X Factor has had to offer but she's nothing that we haven't seen before. it'll probably be better for her career if she doesn't win. winning the X Factor is guaranteed career suicide rather than career longevity :lol:

There was Will Young. Come on now. :p But yeah, everyone since season one has flopped after their first single. :o:help: LOLz, remember Steve.

And oh, Fantasia Barrino sounds awfulreminds me of Macy Grey. :shrug:

JUSTICE4ALL
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:18 PM
It's also a much bigger deal to win American Idol, by far the MOST popular and biggest reality television show in the world, compared to a domestic british show which I just heard of 10mins ago.

Avid Merrion
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:21 PM
There was Will Young. Come on now. :p But yeah, everyone since season one has flopped after their first single. :o:help: LOLz, remember Steve.

And oh, Fantasia Barrino sounds awfulreminds me of Macy Grey. :shrug:

Will Young was a Pop Idol, not X Factor. thanks :p not that Pop Idol is any better right enough. Michelle McManus anyone? no? :lol:

Steve :tape: :rolls:

JUSTICE4ALL
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Oh and the very best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50aYvD8Asy0
(This deserves it's own thread)

!<blocparty>!
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Will Young was a Pop Idol, not X Factor. thanks :p not that Pop Idol is any better right enough. Michelle McManus anyone? no? :lol:

Steve :tape: :rolls:

Pop Idol = X-Factor. No bands ever win so they may aswell call it Pop Idol v2. :p

Aaah Michelle! Gareth Gates was supposed to be coming back with a ROCK album :help:... Sam and Mark.... Rick Waller had a hit single!

Avid Merrion
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Pop Idol = X-Factor. No bands ever win so they may aswell call it Pop Idol v2. :p

i know, i was just being pedantic :angel:

although i note your casual dismissal of the MacDonald Brothers, they might just do it you know. i can sense a Michelle McManus type backlash in the air...... :lol: ;)

BigB08822
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:56 PM
OMG! As a big fan of Kelly Clarkson, I just love a girl that can sing and this girl can SING! I think she has the potential to be huge and I will definitely be buying her album when it is available in the US. I might not be able to wait and have to get the import. "I Will Always Love You" blew me away!

smiler
Nov 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM
She's a great singer I hope she goes far.

I don't know why every thread has to turn into a race debate. :rolleyes:

Parsley
Nov 28th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Americans sheepishly bought Joss Stone's black singer voice imitation, so this x factor girl can sold records there too.

IMPOSSIBLE
Nov 28th, 2006, 07:34 PM

Are You Joking You Must Be Seriously messed up LET ME GUESS YOU FANCY THE MACDONALD BRO'S OR you work in Macdonalds !

IMPOSSIBLE
Nov 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM
You Are Jealous Of Her !! (Haters)

DevilishAttitude
Nov 28th, 2006, 07:37 PM
:lol: You're sounding like Dawn Marie:eek:

Anyway, I think Leona should win the X Factor ( I'm pretty sure she will do it) but I don't know if she'll have a long career out of it :shrug: Shayne Ward is already awol after barely a year
:tape: I hope she does well though, she seems like a nice person :)

Never EVER compare me to Dawn Marie again! :bolt: :help:

;)

I tell facts. And sometimes, no matter how much the blacks on this board annoy me with it, there are some double standards around. And Brit reality shows are a prime example of it.

Leona has an amazing voice and should become a star!

I will always love you - she did it justice but I think I prefer Brenda from the previous series version, didnt simon cowell call it magical? But its not on youtube :sad:

and if I remember correctly - Verity from the 1st series sang it and murdered it but its ok because I loved Verity lol

Brenda was a fat, old black woman who stood no chance of winning. I never understood why people were shocked when she was out.

And Verity, I remember being really into the 1st series and not liking her :lol: And luckily, she was forgetton soon after.

She's a great singer I hope she goes far.

I don't know why every thread has to turn into a race debate. :rolleyes:

I suppose that's aimed at me :p

It's WTAworld, race is always an issue.

mirzalover
Nov 28th, 2006, 11:50 PM
she is good but i dont think she will be big in america though

BigB08822
Nov 29th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Americans sheepishly bought Joss Stone's black singer voice imitation, so this x factor girl can sold records there too.

I never understood this mentality when it came to Joss Stone. Is it her fault that she "sounds" black, whatever that means. She sings how she sings and that is that. Do you really think she sat down one day with her manager and said "hey, I know, I can sell a billion records if I try to make my voice sound more black." That is just ludicrous and dumb. She has always just been herself. I think she is amazing and hope she has continued success.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:57 AM
LMAO, the girl is OVERRATED!!!!!

She wasn't even the best singer in the competition this year!!! Gemma, Tiwah & Dionne were all better than her!!!

Her version of Summertime was NOT better than Fantasia.

Her version of I Will Always Love You was NOT better than Brenda's last year.

She is being hyped a lot and she doesn't really deserve it. She is good, but not that good.

Ben to win :woohoo: :aparty:

Hannah-Louise
Dec 3rd, 2006, 02:55 PM
shes good but im sorry BEN is sooo much better and is gonna win! thank heavens the mcdonalds have gone-seriously who the hell kept voting for them! BOOOORRRING!!!

Monica_Rules
Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM
Have to disagree i loved Fantasia but Leaonas version of summertime was better IMO. Both were amazing BUT Leona took it up a notch.

I think leona should win. Shes a level better than ben even and he is pretty damn good.

She should have a bright future but people that appear on these shows don't last. So far Will Young is the only exception.

Steve Brookstein is dead and buried but he was just a knobhead.

Shayne. Who knows i think he'll prob do well but so far nothing amazing.

The_Pov
Dec 4th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I don't care what none of y'all have to say, Leona has an amazing voice and there is no denying that, she has a better voice than all other current british pop-stars and she's up there with some of the top pop singers in the world. Yeah she's no Mariah, Whitney or Christina yet but give her time she's still inexperianced and she will learn.

I'm appauled though that she's fave to go next saturday:help: :tape: , she deserves to win X-factor and as Phillip Schofield said, she was more like a guest performer last Saturday than a contestant.

jenny161185
Dec 4th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Leona will win im pretty sure of it shes great amazingly talented and that performance of 'I will always love you' gave me goosebumps!

kittyking
Dec 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I think she great, as in far better than the rest of the contestants - I bet she wont win though (generally these sorta show eliminate the best singer before the final 2)

JonBcn
Dec 12th, 2006, 07:39 PM
someone on a music forum I visit posted a zip file of all her performances, plus some demos. Perhaps some of you might want it...I havent downloaded it so I dont know what it's like, but it contains the following:

Bridge Over Troubled Water
Chiquitita
Could It Be Magic
Dance With You
I Have Nothing
I Will Always Love You
I'll Be There
It's All For You
Lady Marmalade
Loving You
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Sorry Seems To Be THe Hardest Word
Summertime
The First Cut Is The Deepest
What You Do To Me
Without You

http://www.mydatabus.com/public/Tiiger/z/Leona_Lewis.zip

PamShriverRockz
Dec 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Leona is good. But she's no McDonald Brothers is she!!?! They were robbed.

*cough*

Viktymise
Dec 12th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Jamelia said about Leona, "Mariah Carey circa 1990, i dont know how she would fit into the music industry"

Simon said in response to this "Jamelia's been fantastic. She's a one-hit wonder and she's got all the advice. My advice to her would be have a 2nd hit single then have an opinion"

Sharon said, "Can i ask something? Who is Jamelia? This is all going over my head"

Louis said " She has one hit, there are much bigger stars than Jamelia"

Leona said "I didn't actually read about her comment but i heard about it"

:lol: the judges are deluded, WTF saying Jamelia has has 1 hit, she has had like 6 10 top singles and 3 top 5 singles, shes right leona does sound like Mariah and there are many ppl out there like her who sing like that, and Sharon Osbourne is on the wrong show if she doesnt know who Jamelia is :o

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 12th, 2006, 09:56 PM
JAMELIA >>>>>> LEONA :rolleyes:

One hit wonder my arse. Simon needs to get his tongue outta her arse.

RAY TO WIN!!!! :tape:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 12th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Leona is good. But she's no McDonald Brothers is she!!?! They were robbed.

*cough*

I'd rather them over the two actual finalists ;)

LeRoy.
Dec 12th, 2006, 10:02 PM
why do some British people care so much about what the US thinks about them ? :confused: :scared: :tape: :o

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM

:)

A_S
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:09 PM
mega star? why would anyone wanna listen to manufactured pop, thats all i gotta say. If she did it off her own back maybe. Popstars/x-factor or whatever this shit equils is just hype thats all... lets get some real music people...

Farina Elia Fan
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:10 PM
she really is out of this world!!!!!

Stamp Paid
mega star? why would anyone wanna listen to manufactured pop, thats all i gotta say. If she did it off her own back maybe. Popstars/x-factor or whatever this shit equils is just hype thats all... lets get some real music people...

:worship:

Farina Elia Fan

why does it matter how she got the record deal???? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

A_S
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:13 PM
she isnt making her own music. how long till simon cowell gets her to sing unchanged melody or some other covered ballod/song. This isnt music its a money making machine....

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:16 PM

why does it matter how she got the record deal???? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Exactly. Who the fuck gives a shit if it's manufactured or not (the people too 'cool' to even consider listening to manufactured music, that's who :tape: ). I'm not saying she's going to make some amazing album (because, X-factor winners always blow). My point is, most of my favourite pop albums are from manufactured pop bands.

A_S
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I just question there credibility if they have to go on this type of show to make it "big" Ive got no problem with pop or manufactured music, but my view is that this type of show just creates so much hype on which records sell. If she didnt have the hype of x-factor then would she be selling records? My answer is no.

MLF
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:25 PM
She can certainly sing, but she's nothing that hasn't been heard before. She'll follow the route of most of these type of talent show winners by recording endless dreary MOR glossy power ballads and cover versions.

The UK has many finer black female vocalists than Leona, Beverley Knight and Terri Walker to name just two.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:28 PM
She can certainly sing, but she's nothing that hasn't been heard before. She'll follow the route of most of these type of talent show winners by recording endless dreary MOR glossy power ballads and cover versions.

The UK has many finer black female vocalists than Leona, Beverley Knight and Terri Walker to name just two.

:worship: :bowdown:

There have been better black UK female vocalists on these types of shows also ;)

A_S
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:29 PM
exactly, and i feel soooo sorry for all those hard working groups/artists/bands/whatever who strive for a hit single when shes just gonna waltz in there and take the christmas no1 with no fucking effort. Is it a surprise why the x-factor finnishes a week before christmas each year? I bloody think not.... :rolleyes: Gotta love the money making machine eh?

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I just question there credibility if they have to go on this type of show to make it "big" Ive got no problem with pop or manufactured music, but my view is that this type of show just creates so much hype on which records sell. If she didnt have the hype of x-factor then would she be selling records? My answer is no.

Right...

mega star? why would anyone wanna listen to manufactured pop, thats all i gotta say. If she did it off her own back maybe.

So you have no problem with manufactured pop? :confused: I have no problem with you dissing this show, but to make comments like that = ridiculous. Millions of records are sold every year from manufactured pop groups/singers. Their music can be just as good as the 'real' artists doing it on their 'own back' you talk about.

The_Pov
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM
:worship: :bowdown:

There have been better black UK female vocalists on these types of shows also ;)

I'd like to hear them sing a Whitney Houston or Maria Carey song like Leona.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I'd like to hear them sing a Whitney Houston or Maria Carey song like Leona.

Brenda did and sounded better each time :wavey: She could actually command the stage and engage the audience.

The_Pov
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Brenda did and sounded better each time :wavey: She could actually command the stage and engage the audience.

Good for her but we could go on. No one could own the stage like Whitney, thus (in your theory) making Brenda redundant.

A_S
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Right...

So you have no problem with manufactured pop? :confused: I have no problem with you dissing this show, but to make comments like that = ridiculous. Millions of records are sold every year from manufactured pop groups/singers. Their music can be just as good as the 'real' artists doing it on their 'own back' you talk about.

well ok, maybe that is slightly contradictory wording but i think you know exactly what i mean. Its just a money making machine, just hype, sell a few records, make a lot of money. wheres mcmanus? wheres that guy with the stammer? gates? wheres brookstine, infact apart from girls allowed where are ANY (bar lemar who is quality and was on bbc) of the people from these tallent shows over the last 5 or 6 years?

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Good for her but we could go on. No one could own the stage like Whitney, thus (in your theory) making Brenda redundant.

lol, obviously compared to Whitney, Brenda is nothing.

But I'm just saying that when Simon says Leona is the best in any of the shows he has been on (including American Idol) I just find it to be a joke, when there have obviously been many more talented singers and entertainers than Leona.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:38 PM
exactly, and i feel soooo sorry for all those hard working groups/artists/bands/whatever who strive for a hit single when shes just gonna waltz in there and take the christmas no1 with no fucking effort. Is it a surprise why the x-factor finnishes a week before christmas each year? I bloody think not.... :rolleyes: Gotta love the money making machine eh?

This show is just another way for big music execs and TV companies to make an absolute fortune. The original shows were decent - Popstars/Popstars: The Rivals, then after a couple of years they got really old. I've tried to watch some of this season but everything is just SO terrible. :help: That blonde presenter is quite possibly even worst than Ant & Dec.

Anyway, Leona probably won't do shit just like everyone else after their Christmas number one single. If she has true talent then she'll come through and continue selling albums after the hype dies - just like Will Young.

The_Pov
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:40 PM
lol, obviously compared to Whitney, Brenda is nothing.

But I'm just saying that when Simon says Leona is the best in any of the shows he has been on (including American Idol) I just find it to be a joke, when there have obviously been many more talented singers and entertainers than Leona.

Obviously Simon wanted to hype her up a bit, but you can't deny Leona is amazingly talented and if being nothing special means you can sing like Leona, what does that make most other contestants?

The_Pov
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:42 PM
This show is just another way for big music execs and TV companies to make an absolute fortune. The original shows were decent - Popstars/Popstars: The Rivals, then after a couple of years they got really old. I've tried to watch some of this season but everything is just SO terrible. :help: That blonde presenter is quite possibly even worst than Ant & Dec.

Anyway, Leona probably won't do shit just like everyone else after their Christmas number one single. If she has true talent then she'll come through and continue selling albums after the hype dies - just like Will Young.

Talent only gets you so far, look at Britney - awful singer, hugley succesful artist. She'll need to find her niche, like Will Young did.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Obviously Simon wanted to hype her up a bit, but you can't deny Leona is amazingly talented and if being nothing special means you can sing like Leona, what does that make most other contestants?

she is good, but not great! To me, she is like a third rate Mariah Carey, and it showed when she sang her single. It just reeked of old Mariah Carey (like Jamelia stated, but got bad mouthed by everyone for it) and nowhere near as good. Just a poor imitation of an amazing singer.

I found the hype machine to be even more irritating. When there were flaws in her performance, none of the judges said anything about it. When she walks the stage like a zombie, none of the judges said anything about it. The fact that the best singer in the show, Dionne, was shitted on by Simon for the way she moved around the stage, I was surprised that not one of the judges had the nerve to talk about Leona's drunken hippy movements around the stage :(

The_Pov
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:45 PM
she is good, but not great! To me, she is like a third rate Mariah Carey, and it showed when she sang her single. It just reeked of old Mariah Carey (like Jamelia stated, but got bad mouthed by everyone for it) and nowhere near as good. Just a poor imitation of an amazing singer.

I found the hype machine to be even more irritating. When there were flaws in her performance, none of the judges said anything about it. When she walks the stage like a zombie, none of the judges said anything about it. The fact that the best singer in the show, Dionne, was shitted on by Simon for the way she moved around the stage, I was surprised that not one of the judges had the nerve to talk about Leona's drunken hippy movements around the stage :(

Dionne the best :haha: you have to be kidding :haha:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Talent only gets you so far, look at Britney - awful singer, hugley succesful artist. She'll need to find her niche, like Will Young did.

What the fuck. Singing talent will only get you so far. It's how talented you (and the people you surround yourself with) are in every other department that will sell you millions of records/make you a successful artist in the long term.

MLF
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM
wheres mcmanus? wheres that guy with the stammer? gates? wheres brookstine, infact apart from girls allowed where are ANY (bar lemar who is quality and was on bbc) of the people from these tallent shows over the last 5 or 6 years?

I guess you overlooked Will Young? The first two of his three albums charted at #1 and his last one which came out at the tail end of last year reached #2 so he's doing well.

The_Pov
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM
What the fuck. Singing talent will only get you so far. It's how talented you (and the people you surround yourself with) are in every other department that will sell you millions of records/make you a successful artist in the long term.

No it's how you are marketed, Britney has sold over 100 million records worldwide but she has your average x factor rejects voice.

Explain please.

A_S
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I hope that ray (i think that was his name) becomes succesful (i think he made the final too? but not sure) cause he really has a good voice, but i doubt it. again just like usual, 1 album, lots of hype no sustained success. I feel sorry for them as much as i critisise. I mean, it must be gauling to be rolled over by these people just so they can make a bit of money. whatever happened to that scottish guy that won fame accademy? I hate these things, i just think they A) take the piss so much B) play off so much hype C) are so contrived and setup, and D) whoever the middle age women/teenage girl likes wins. Get em off or tv and bring back decent saturday night entertainment....

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 16th, 2006, 10:58 PM

errrrrrrrr yeah obviously! :scratch:

She was so much better than Leona. Her voice was much better. Her I'm Gonna Make You Love Me performance shits on anything Leona has done! Shame she went too early!

The_Pov
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:00 PM
errrrrrrrr yeah obviously! :scratch:

She was so much better than Leona. Her voice was much better. Her I'm Gonna Make You Love Me performance shits on anything Leona has done! Shame she went too early!

She had an ok voice but in general always looked a mess. She average at best.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:03 PM
She had an ok voice but in general always looked a mess. She average at best.

who gives a shit about how she looked. Her voice was amazing that it doesn't matter how she looked. You don't see me going on about Leona's nose.

Plus tonight she actually did look hot!

A_S
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I guess you overlooked Will Young? The first two of his three albums charted at #1 and his last one which came out at the tail end of last year reached #2 so he's doing well.

I think the reason i overlooked him need not be stated in the light of what i said. But apart from himself, Jamilia, out of say the ten finalist each year thats what 50/60 i can only name but few says enough. The thing that i look at, if succesfull bands or artists who have been up at the top of the album charts recently (dont look at singles chart) went on x-factor, would they win? with there OWN songs? lyrics, etc? Doubt it, thats the point... Its all hype, its not about how good you are or what your music means its how like the original you can sing a cover version. I just read, well shes a 3rd rate maria carey? well why doesnt she sing her own songs? why the hell does she have to act like a 3rd rate carey? because it makes money for 5 minutes before she is dumped thats why...

Philip
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Leona sings A Moment Like This, 1,000,000 times better than Kelly Clarkson did in my opinion, infact i thought leona made a shit song sound great. I really dont know why they chose that song for the single... though maybe it will be a good omen for Leona, and will take her to the stardom Kelly is at now :)

Good luck to her i say! :)

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:06 PM
No it's how you are marketed, Britney has sold over 100 million records worldwide but she has your average x factor rejects voice.

Explain please.

Britney got into the Mickey Mouse Club, and won dozens of talent shows when she was a kid. She had talent. She was (in her heyday) an entertainer. She could dance, she could put on great shows, she could always find new ways to get media attention. I am NOT saying Britney Spears is insanely talented and we should all worship the ground she walks on. I'm saying she certainly wasn't JUST a talentless bimbo who soley relied on her skank ass, song writers/producers/marketing strategists to become a global phenomenon.

The_Pov
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:07 PM
who gives a shit about how she looked. Her voice was amazing that it doesn't matter how she looked. You don't see me going on about Leona's nose.

Ok whatever you say, her voice was still average.

Anyhoo you bore me now, so I'm off to bed content that Leona has a £1,000,000 recording contract and even if she's not known this time next year she'll still have been through something amazing and will have more money than anyone here, while as Dionne left with nothing.

Cya cry:baby:
:kiss:

The_Pov
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Britney got into the Mickey Mouse Club, and won dozens of talent shows when she was a kid. She had talent. She was (in her heyday) an entertainer. She could dance, she could put on great shows, she could always find new ways to get media attention. I am NOT saying Britney Spears is insanely talented and we should all worship the ground she walks on. I'm saying she certainly wasn't JUST talentless bimbo who soley relied on her skank ass, song writers/producers/marketing strategists to become a global phenomenon.

Wrong she has always relied on her ass, song writers/producers/marketing strategists to become a global phenomenon, they just made sure she had some catchy hits and was always causing controversy everywhere she went.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Ok whatever you say, her voice was still average.

Anyhoo you bore me now, so I'm off to bed content that Leona has a £1,000,000 recording contract and even if she's not known this time next year she'll still have been through something amazing and will have more money than anyone here, while as Dionne left with nothing.

Cya cry:baby:
:kiss:

:haha: Now that's just pathetic. If people like you are satisfied with third rate Mariah Carey's then good for you. I was just actually given my side without even cussing you down. But then you gotsta go and act like a fool and be all retarded :rolleyes:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:12 PM
:haha: Now that's just pathetic. If people like you are satisfied with third rate Mariah Carey's then good for you. I was just actually given my side without even cussing you down. But then you gotsta go and act like a fool and be all retarded :rolleyes:

Lolz, it's useless. ;) If she doesn't agree, there's no point trying to argue rationally.

TomTennis
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I think Leona was great tonight. She deserved to win. Her performance of Bridge over troubled water was great! :worship:

In terms of breaking America, I think she could do it. It would be tough, and I think hard at first but do-able becasue she has a lot of talent, more so than some of the current female artists that have also made it.

A_S
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:18 PM
now thats another thing! does anyone who wins that show not sing that song? jesus christ i ask you... where is the individuality or difference!

Viktymise
Dec 16th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Wrong she has always relied on her ass, song writers/producers/marketing strategists to become a global phenomenon, they just made sure she had some catchy hits and was always causing controversy everywhere she went.

Britney built up her name and up until around early 05 was the no.1 female artist in the world, yes she only writes a few songs but, music is really made in the production and there are very few people out there who write, produce and sing there own music, the ones who get to the top can sing, look good and have that little something special, Britney can sing and dance and perform plus she commands the stage and has charisma do you think that Leona will be any different and she'll be writing all her own material, she worked extremely hard as a child, doing the mickey mouse club and many other talent shows, if leona has a fraction of Britney's success she should be happy, Leona doesnt have the stage prescence or the harisma as a Britney Spears, there have been waaaaay better singers on AI than Leona and Simon Cowell just talks out of ass every time her says that was the best performance he has seen on one of them shows

Monica_Rules
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Well Done to Leona. Totally deserved win.

Think she won it after her performance of a moment like this was just leagues above Rays rubish version. If that had been released:o

On the subject of Dionne vs Leona. At first i prefered Dionne but soon Leona took over. Her performance of Summertime was just the best thing to have been on any of these british shows. Streets ahead of Dionnes first performance.

CondiLicious
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Leona sings A Moment Like This, 1,000,000 times better than Kelly Clarkson did in my opinion, infact i thought leona made a shit song sound great.

Agreed.

I really like Leona and she just gets better and better. She has the potential to be very successful!

No Name Face
Dec 17th, 2006, 03:14 AM
congrats leona. i think she's really hot and insanely talented. (and way better than mariah)

fifiricci
Dec 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I think Leona was great tonight. She deserved to win. Her performance of Bridge over troubled water was great! :worship:

In terms of breaking America, I think she could do it. It would be tough, and I think hard at first but do-able becasue she has a lot of talent, more so than some of the current female artists that have also made it.

I think its weird, this suggestion that people can't do well in the USA because they're not "American" or they have to be more talented than "Americans" to do it. Why for god's sake? Surely we're not saying that the Americans are blind to talent that isn't home grown? ;)

DevilishAttitude
Dec 17th, 2006, 12:03 PM
:)

Well, I was wrong.

It was time :)

Please. Who wants to watch some fat woman wobbling and shouting on stage?

Dionne? :haha: She about has much potential has the YMCA girl from Pop Idol.

The only thing Dionne would ever win is the worst teeth award.

Erm, image is everything. Dionne hadn't any image.

The_Pov
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Leona to take on the world

FULL X FACTOR INDEX ››

By JEN BLACKBURN
December 17, 2006

X FACTOR winner Leona Lewis has been promised worldwide superstardom by the music mogul behind Whitney Houston and Alicia Keys' careers.

After Saturday’s live final, Take That’s Gary Barlow called on Simon Cowell to “break the X Factor mould,” insisting Leona’s talent deserved more than “an album of ballad covers”.

Speaking at a press conference immediately after the show, Simon hit back, insisting industry bigwig Clive Davis has been enlisted to develop Leona’s career.

He said: “A lot’s been happening over the last few weeks. I’ve had a phone call from Clive Davis, who looks after Alicia Keys and Whitney Houston, and is one of our affiliates in America. He called me on Thursday and said, ‘Simon we’ve been watching Leona Lewis and win or lose, we’re in.’

“I take Gary’s words very seriously. I think we have a major, major worldwide star. We’re not going to make an album quickly, we’re going to make the best possible album. Obviously with Leona’s input to make the album she’s comfortable with.”

And Simon vowed to start work on Leona’s career immediately.

He added: “The work starts tomorrow morning on this young lady. We’ve got to do the job now.

“We’re going to try and make everyone who voted for her proud that we’ve found found a British girl who’s up there with the Mariah’s and the Whitney’s. We take this very, very seriously.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,11050-2006580375,00.html

!<blocparty>!
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I thought you didn't read The Sun.

The_Pov
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I thought you didn't read The Sun.

Honestly can you just butt out, and leave us Leona fans to basque in her glory. OK you hate this girl you don't know but please go and make your own anit-Leona thread, that way posters will know which one to go to!

!<blocparty>!
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Where have I been anti-Leona? :confused:

I asked about the article.

The_Pov
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Where have I been anti-Leona? :confused:

I asked about the article.

Oh don't try and spin that, you and supernova hate the girl and wish that her career will be over asap.

Farina Elia Fan
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:49 PM
who much of the vote did Leona get???

The_Pov
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:55 PM
who much of the vote did Leona get???

60%

Hannah-Louise
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:58 PM
well done leona. absolutely great show last night! wow my mum cried her eyes out!

The_Pov
Dec 17th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Leona breaks world record

By JEN BLACKBURN
December 17, 2006

X FACTOR winner Leona Lewis is believed to have smashed a world record last night when her debut single was downloaded a whopping 50,000 times in just 30 minutes.

The 21-year-old from Hackney is releasing Kelly Clarkson hit A Moment Like This, and with over a million pre-ordered copies, it looks a dead cert to take the Christmas number one spot.

The choice of song has been controversial for judge Simon Cowell; the music mogul was accused of picking a track better suited to a female finalist.

However, last night Simon hit back at his critics insisting fellow finalist Ray was as comfortable with the song choice as Leona.

He said: “You know we get submitted new songs from the point we come on air, and this year, the new songs that were submitted just weren’t up to scratch.

“We’d never released a Kelly Clarkson record in the UK and we made a decision that that should be the song. It seemed a shame to waste it.

"We approached the final four contestants, the only one who had a problem with it was Ben, but after recording it he was happy with it. Ray was as happy as Leona to sing that song.”

He added: “I think this is a world record: we have had, in 30 minutes, 50,000 downloads.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,11050-2006580374,00.html

Farina Elia Fan
Dec 17th, 2006, 11:18 PM
60%

thank you :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Monica_Rules
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Will those 50,000 downloads count towards ther christmas #1 week?

Monica_Rules
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
60%

Monica_Rules
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM
60% thats quite impressive.

So that means out for 8million votes Leona got 4.8million and Ray 3.2 Million. Yeah it was just so close wasn't it Kate Thornton.:rolleyes:

JCF
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:55 PM
She has an amazing voice, but I dunno about her personality right now. Then again it may grow....

Apparently Simon has given Ray a record deal now, he's gonna release a swing album...

Monica_Rules
Dec 18th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Everyone keeps going on about her personality but i would rather have a nice shy girl over a massive diva anyday. Stardom has gone to the head of many of the 1980's and 1990's divas.

V-MAC
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Leona is differant in the fact that she seems such a sound, down-to-earth girl. I think that is what people find so appealing about her. She has the girl-next-door type of personality mixed with a superstar voice and looks ;) BTW, I just saw her video being played on the box. I know X - Factor winners' videos are mainly just made up of clips from their time on the show but I still wasn't expecting to see Leona's video out so soon after the final :eek: :)

Sugar_Kane
Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Eww here's the video...look how cheap it is, I can't wait for her to dissapear and Ray to be the real winner.

Her voice is average at best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqHj6Gahut0

*abby*
Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
she is talented but imho kelly clarksons version of the single was a lot better (her voice is just so much more powerful)
and i did think that dionne was an amazing singer!girl had talent and should have got a lot further and probably would have if it wasnt for simon!

*abby*
Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5c_cpEhh0
this performance just blew me away
on this alone, she beats leona, sorry but the only thing i think when i hear the new single is what a weak voice she has. yeah shes a good singer but her voice lacks power.
as for the comments on dionnes looks, why dont you post a pic of yourselves, im sure you can look pretty fugly sometimes. so what if she isnt perfect (by your standards) shes got real beauty, not just what society expects people to conform to

The_Pov
Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:41 PM
Leona lacks power :rolls:

I'm not saying that she's the most powerful singer ever but power is not one of her weak spots, her lower range is...but that's another matter.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rpkJD7TjWgw - Leona has enough power in her voice.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Eww here's the video...look how cheap it is, I can't wait for her to dissapear and Ray to be the real winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqHj6Gahut0

*dead*

You expect that tacky cheapness from a first X-factor/Pop Idol/Popstars video... and I guess you should expect some God awful cover version now, too. It's as if Simon Cowell and Co. picked a song and said "right, how much can we butcher this up before getting Leona in the studio". :tape:

Seriously, she's a great girl and has an amazing voice... but I just can't see how she's going to follow up this with some decent hits when all the hype dies down... a sloppy half-assed album full of shit ballads will probably follow. :sad:

The Christmas number one was hers this year if she'd have released some version of the talking clock... her next single(s) should be interesting. :unsure: Something original and not ballady would be nice.

Pengwin
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:47 AM
The video is totally crap but I prefer her version to Kelly Clarkson's and I think her voice is better.

*abby*
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:37 AM
her voice is sooooo not better than kellys!

V-MAC
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:09 PM
yeah the next single will be interesting. I think Leona will have to stay in ballad territory though if she is to have a lasting career, it is what she is best at.

Viktymise
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:29 PM
*dead*

You expect that tacky cheapness from a first X-factor/Pop Idol/Popstars video... and I guess you should expect some God awful cover version now, too. It's as if Simon Cowell and Co. picked a song and said "right, how much can we butcher this up before getting Leona in the studio". :tape:

Seriously, she's a great girl and has an amazing voice... but I just can't see how she's going to follow up this with some decent hits when all the hype dies down... a sloppy half-assed album full of shit ballads will probably follow. :sad:

The Christmas number one was hers this year if she'd have released some version of the talking clock... her next single(s) should be interesting. :unsure: Something original and not ballady would be nice.

I hope her next single is something original aswell, Simon should get the best producers for her from US and UK and make a really exciting album for her, with most upbeat, funky and a few innovative ballodsmixed in but most likely it will be full of soppy ballods, nothing which we havent heard before which is a shame, hopefully that doesnt happen

Monica_Rules
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I think as long as she mixes up the ballards and the up beat songs she should be ok. I just hope they take their time with her debut album and don't rush one out in the next 4 months.

Maybe single #2 in May and a third in august/sep followed by the album should be ok.

And to the person who said when Ray become the real winner:lol: I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that comment.

Monica_Rules
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Oh god Ray the real winner:tape: :lol: Don't make me laugh, he couldn't sing anything but swing if his life depended on it.

If leonas voice is average what does that make Rays? Piss poor? No Ray has an average voice Leona is the most talanetd contestent there has ever been in pop idol and x factor in the uk.

DevilishAttitude
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5c_cpEhh0
this performance just blew me away
on this alone, she beats leona, sorry but the only thing i think when i hear the new single is what a weak voice she has. yeah shes a good singer but her voice lacks power.
as for the comments on dionnes looks, why dont you post a pic of yourselves, im sure you can look pretty fugly sometimes. so what if she isnt perfect (by your standards) shes got real beauty, not just what society expects people to conform to

Dionne? Beautiful??? :haha:

You cannot look like Dionne and be a successful musician from a show like X-Factor. It doesn't happen. Ever. Look at Michelle McManus.

Has for the song choice. It's predictable shite. Leona has a great voice. But lacks personality. This IMO will become a big issue for her career.

Viktymise
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Ray was the luckiest contestant of xfactor ever, he had one of the weakest voices of everyone and somehow made it to the final, all he could do was sing swing, and even that was a poor imitation, Ray will be lucky to have more than one album that makes top 50 :lol:

Monica_Rules
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:57 PM
^ totally agree, he should have been gone after about 3 weeks.

He'll be lucky to be doing panto or the west end in 12 months time.

Viktymise
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Dionne? Beautiful??? :haha:

You cannot look like Dionne and be a successful musician from a show like X-Factor. It doesn't happen. Ever. Look at Michelle McManus.

Has for the song choice. It's predictable shite. Leona has a great voice. But lacks personality. This IMO will become a big issue for her career.

I agree about leona, everyone say's people like Mariah and Whitney are huge Diva's but thats part of what makes them interesting and it makes headlines, most of the top female singers in the world are big Diva's, and Leona is more shy and well nothing standout about her personality, you need more than a great voice to be a star

Dava
Dec 24th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I think Leona will have a lasting career as long as someone somewhere finds the balance, and doesnt give her an album filled with ballads, or make her into one of the many RnB girls clogging up the charts. We alredy have about 14 Ciaras we dont need another one.

As for the song...well its a bit over the top which means I prefer Kelly version. Also can people please remember Kellys version isnt the original! Kellys awesome but she also started her very successfull career with a cover of the Fame song.

CondiLicious
Dec 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Seriously, she's a great girl and has an amazing voice... but I just can't see how she's going to follow up this with some decent hits when all the hype dies down... a sloppy half-assed album full of shit ballads will probably follow.

Maybe not. Carrie Underwood's first song was pure shit, as was the video. But her album turned out just fine.

The_Pov
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM
X Factor winner in US record deal

X Factor winner Leona Lewis has signed a £5m ($9.7m) record deal in the US, with the man who discovered singer Whitney Houston.
Clive Davis, 74, is also a mentor to Alicia Keys and Justin Timberlake.

Lewis, 21, said: "I am just overwhelmed. I can't believe everything has happened so fast, from winning the X Factor to coming to LA."

Her manager Simon Cowell said: "We'll do everything in our power to make her an international star."

The X factor judge and mentor on the ITV show claims she is the "best" contestant they have ever had on.

"I've always said that she is the next Whitney Houston, and I believe it," he added.

The deal will see the former receptionist release five albums.

Lewis performed in front of the cream of the US record industry on Wednesday at the Beverley Hilton Hotel.

One music executive who watched her said: "It's like hearing the love child of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey."

Lewis, who has been nominated for best single at next week's Brit awards, is due to start recording her album in April.

A spokeswoman for Cowell said: "The plan is to take time and produce an album which has global reach."

Lewis scored the Christmas number one with her single A Moment Like This after beating fellow X Factor finalist Ray Quinn in the ITV talent show.

The track sold almost 100,000 downloads in just two days

This is the coolest news for her!

TeaMMashA
Feb 11th, 2007, 01:04 PM
She is awesome

mirzalover
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:55 PM
she is boring thats what she is no personality what so ever but atleast she can sing even though I'm not sure why we need another mariah or whitney when the originals are still around

kabuki
Feb 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM
She's cute and seems sweet. I think with some molding and training she will be huge. :D

The_Pov
Feb 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM
she is boring thats what she is no personality what so ever but atleast she can sing even though I'm not sure why we need another mariah or whitney when the originals are still around

She is not another Mariah or Whitney, unless you're saying "why do we need another good singer?"

I'd rather have a plethora of Whitney and Mariah esque singers than Britneys, Lindsays and Hillarys!

Wait for her album then we'll see what kind of singer she wants to be!

BigB08822
Feb 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM
It doesn't matter if she is boring, Mariah Carey is the most boring thing to ever witness on stage. She does nothing but stand there, trying too hard to look pretty, while she moves one arm as she sings. B-O-R-I-N-G! Yet, she is amazing because her voice is so damn good.

mirzalover
Feb 11th, 2007, 06:16 PM
She is not another Mariah or Whitney, unless you're saying "why do we need another good singer?"

I'd rather have a plethora of Whitney and Mariah esque singers than Britneys, Lindsays and Hillarys!

Wait for her album then we'll see what kind of singer she wants to be!

No I'm not saying i want bad singers although some bad singers do make good songs sometimes ( CASSIE BRITNEY RIHANNA)

what i'm saying is eveyone is like she whitney, mariah and that makes me think that she will most likely be marketed just like them and her music will sound like a whitney or mariah songs and american music already sounds alot alike when it comes to Female RnB artist rather its the CASSIE, CIARA's or FANTASIA, SUNSHINE ANDERSON"S or the BEYONCE, RIHANNA's. I just hope that the fact that she is from England will mean that her music is different from all these previous ladies I mentioned even though I doubt it will

Shimizu Amon
Feb 11th, 2007, 06:54 PM
She sounds amazing and I'm sure to buy her album if it hit the stands.

But I really disliked her version of A Moment Like This. Why? Kelly Clarkson sang the song just 2-3 years ago. I didn't forgot about that version. And I liked the original version much better as the version of Leona Lewis.
To be honest the first I heard of Leona was A Moment Like This and I was like who the f*ck is singing this song to shreds. So my first impression of Leona was very bad because of this cover. Now that I've seen her performances on youtube I'm stunned. She isn't Whitney or Mariah, she lacks the soul in her voice, but in her own way she's amazing. I hope we'll get to see a lot of her in the future.

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM
She doens't have the power of some of the other singers around (Hudson, Fantasia, Aguilera) but that being said, her voice is :hearts: She really know exactly what to do with almost every note. Everything sounds good out of her mouth, and I don't doubt that she'll be HUGE one day.

Sugar_Kane
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:12 PM
:haha: she's already disapeared. I knew she would at least Ray got a number 1 album, she never even got round to getting one out.

Just goes to show talent means shit in this industry :rolls:

Paul.
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
:haha: she's already disapeared. I knew she would at least Ray got a number 1 album, she never even got round to getting one out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leona_Lewis

Read the "Post X-Factor Career" section. Looks more promising than the other shit heaps who won the X-Factor.

She says she won't release anything 'til late 2007 :)

Sugar_Kane
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leona_Lewis

Read the "Post X-Factor Career" section. Looks more promising than the other shit heaps who won the X-Factor.

She says she won't release anything 'til late 2007 :)

What when everyone's forgotton about her? She's over before she started

Paul.
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:07 PM

I guess we'll see. I don't think she's done quite yet though.

The_Pov
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM

Well seeing as her main market is mst likely to be the US she can hardly disappear when they don't know she exists, she's making an album and she's not going to rush it like Ray Quinn or Ben Mills, they need the X factor connection more than Leona. Leona is gong to be marketed as a new artist rather thanthe x factor winner because in the US that means nothing. Anyway I heard she's performing on the penultimate American Idol when Clive Davis is the guest judge, I suppose she'll perform her new single here.

Anyway heard Pharrell was helping with her album!

Cat's Pajamas
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:43 PM
She's good but I think American Idol has had better woman such as: Kelly Clarkson, Latoya London, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Vonzell Solomon, Carrie Underwood, and Melinda, Lakisha, and Jordin this season.

The_Pov
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:58 PM
She's good but I think American Idol has had better woman such as: Kelly Clarkson, Latoya London, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Vonzell Solomon, Carrie Underwood, and Melinda, Lakisha, and Jordin this season.

I wonder how many of them got a $10,000,000 contract for their first record contract?

Cat's Pajamas
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I wonder how many of them got a $10,000,000 contract for their first record contract?

Um, probably not many; but does that has nothing to do with what I was talking about. :wavey:

The_Pov
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Um, probably not many; but does that has nothing to do with what I was talking about. :wavey:

Well if they're such great woman why aren't they offered the same deal? I will say that Leona's not the best singer ever but she's damn good

mirzalover
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:13 AM

because their actually still own their shows or they have already been signed or they already have american success something simon is so desperate for leona to have which i doubt she will

The_Pov
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:53 AM
because their actually still own their shows or they have already been signed or they already have american success something simon is so desperate for leona to have which i doubt she will

Simon didn't give Leona the contract, Clive Davis did. He wouldn't give Leona such an amazing contract if he didn't believe in her. He's got her working with the best people around.

azinna
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:35 AM
A wonderful voice, but she certainly has that Whitney/Mariah-lite vibe about her. If this was the mid-1990s, I'd say "No", she'd have little chance of cracking the US market with "I Have Nothing," "Dreamlover," "Hero" and "I Will Always Love You" crowding the air waves. But both Whitney and Mariah have fallen off vocally, and there's space now for a fresh-faced, pure-voiced pop-ballad talent like Leona's.

The question is whether the US pop market has shifted too much since the 1980s and 90s, whether ears currently trained on Beyonce, Christina, Rihanna, Ashanti, even Gwen and a little Blige would buy the softer sound and act that Leona seems to have perfected. Right now, female vocal talents unwilling to show some thigh and shake a booty or two need to have some schtick or creative edge to break in, get people's attention and sustain it past the illegal download. A quick glance at the Billboard charts, MTV, the magazine stands and even VH1 will tell you that the Simply Stand and Sing Diva may have gone the way of the Supermodel of those times.

So I'm wondering what Clive's got up his sleeve. What's the schtick? Leona can't be the headwrap-wearing, tea-drinking candle burner (Erykah), or the rapper-slash-actress soul preacher (Lauryn), or the acoustically inclined folk poet (India). He already gave us the classically trained pianist/hoodrat in Alicia. So what's next? What's the packaging? He tried Whitney 2 in Tamyra. We know how that went. What makes us think that Leona would do better?

Monica_Rules
Apr 7th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Comparing Leona to Jordin in this years american idol. LMAO! Leona is 10 times better. And i think Jordin is good BTW.

LaKisha is good but i a way is a one trick pony, Leona is versitle.

Now Melinda i like a lot and i think should win this years AI but i think Leona has something over Melinda dont know what but she does.

azinna
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I certainly agree with you, Monica Rules, on Leona being (at least right now) a better singer than Jordin by far. She hasn't, on the other hand, shown herself to be more versatile than Lakisha. "One trick pony" is a phrase that certainly comes to mind after now viewing 5-6 of Leona's performances. Sure she's sung mid-tempo numbers with some success. But so has Lakisha. Both lose a good bit of their glitter while doing so.

Now, Melinda is about 2 light years ahead of Leona as a vocal artist and performer. But the thing you feel Leona has over her ain't as much of a mystery as you make it out to be. The British-Nigerian soulstra Sade Adu, when asked how she stumbled into the business, once said that an industry figure caught sight of her skin and svelte figure at a club, turned to see her ponytail, then her eyes, cheekbones and lips (which were painted Red Gloss Delite; it was 1982) and simply asked, "Can you sing?"

BigB08822
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:10 PM

You must consider two things.

1) The success rate for winners, or even non winners, of these shows has been proven to be very good. So many go on to be amazing artists and do well. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Fantasia, Clay Aiken and I could go on and on and these are only the Americans. So, they can offer more money to the newer season contestants because they have much more reason to know they will be making a profit in the long run.

2) How long is this contract for? Many of the AI winners, especially the earlier ones, only had a contract for 2 or so albums. No way would they get $10 million, that would be $5 million per CD! Leona is probably in a 10 or more CD deal. That is a lot.

Edward.
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:29 PM
You must consider two things.

1) The success rate for winners, or even non winners, of these shows has been proven to be very good. So many go on to be amazing artists and do well. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Fantasia, Clay Aiken and I could go on and on and these are only the Americans. So, they can offer more money to the newer season contestants because they have much more reason to know they will be making a profit in the long run.

2) How long is this contract for? Many of the AI winners, especially the earlier ones, only had a contract for 2 or so albums. No way would they get $10 million, that would be $5 million per CD! Leona is probably in a 10 or more CD deal. That is a lot.

She is in a 5 album contract.

Pengwin
Apr 8th, 2007, 10:59 AM
She is absolutely phenominal! Greatest thing to come out of Britain for a long time, and she totally deserves all the attention and money being thrown at her, because she will be huge.

Way better than ANY American Idol winner (and I am a big fan of Fantasia and Carrie). She would have owned any season of Americna Idol. Clive Davis said she is 'potentially up there with Whitney, Mariah, Christina'.

CondiLicious
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Her album is incredible! Her voice is insane. She has zero personality but her vocals are crazy awesome! And the songs are so catchy and pretty.

KennyChante4ever
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:58 PM
^ I agree about zero personality. I just saw her making of the video on MTV and Leona doesn't have the X factor in my opinion. I think she can achieve some success but I really have doubts about her being a megastar.

CondiLicious
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I just care about her voice and her songs, which are both good. I don't watch much TV, especially music stuff so the no personality thing doesn't bother me really.

CondiLicious
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:39 PM

That's so funny to read now, considering everything she's achieved in the past couple of weeks and the fact her album is gonna be huge.

Ballbasher
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Agreed :lol:
In Germany you can listen to "Bleeding Love" on every radio station "Bleeding Love" will be released next Friday here :bounce: I think she'll be really successful in the future ;)

Jogi
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:29 PM
what does it mean "she is simon'S act", "she is not sharon's act"..? simon & sharon were the judges, each one of them had an act? lol I don't get it :lol: what is an act supposed to be anyway?

whatever, I love "bleeding love", hope it will be successful

ce
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I ADORE HER
:inlove:

JAMESYBABY!
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I ADORE HER
:inlove:

like we know:lol:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:35 PM
When will she be in the US?:scratch:

Monica_Rules
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Shes meant to be going there now.

sharapovarulz1
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Leona is already a mega star 'Bleeding Love' was the fastest selling single of 2007 and her album is just amazing I have had it since the day it came out and I adore it there isn't a bad song on it! Leona you are fantastic :)

Monica_Rules
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:46 PM

LMAO most farcical comment on this board ever.
Biggest selling single of the year 2 years in a row. 1.6 million albums sold. Hardly a disapearance.

Where was ray this christmas in some GMTV choir LMAO!

Ballbasher
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Her next Single will be a Double-A-Side of Footprints in the sand/Better in time. :)

Bleeding Love is/has been #1 in 9 countries and "Spirit" will debut on #1 tomorrow in Germany,Austria and Switzerland,too :D

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
:D Great news!

I heard Better In Time is very good but I haven't listened yet.

Elwin.
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah, her single; Bleeding Love is doing great in The Netherlands. After two weeks it's already at n.3 in the top 40 :rocker:
It's just a matter of time when her single is n.1

She is a great singer :worship:

V-MAC
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I like Leona but why did she feel the need to make a new video for Bleeding Love for its American release?!:scratch: The original video is way better anyway.

[S@nti]
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:08 PM
True. I hate the new video... B O R I N G. The first one was mucho more dramatic.... I just don't see the need of doing two videos for the same song, lots of european acts do that... anyway it's... interesting.

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 12th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Simon told her to do so.;) :p

Ballbasher
Mar 15th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Better in time/Footprints in the Sand will make a huge jump this week :D

Ksenia.
Mar 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM
She has great voice.. but i can't forgive her what she did to Summertime :tape:

patch.
Mar 15th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Last night she sung live on BBC Sport Relief and I think this is one of her best performances :bowdown:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AvFM1lTZs4A (though it did sound a bit better live :p)

Matthias13
Mar 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Bleeding Love is so beautiful :) I hope she will have a tremendous career

Maria Croft
Mar 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I heard she is currently recording her US album, her voice is amazing, and I love Bleeding Love, although I have to day her album Spirit is a little to boring for me.

ce
Mar 15th, 2008, 02:59 PM
i love her

IceHock
Mar 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I like bleeding love, anf right now it's number 2 on itunes so it seems she is going to do very well.

Talula
Mar 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Bleeding Love has rocketed up the Billboard chart by 20 places to 21! If any British act is going to succeed in America it will be Leona. Partly because her music and voice could pass for being American. Good to luck to her. She's talented and a decent person. I hope she goes all the way.

mirzalover
Mar 15th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Or the fact that she has one good single and thats gonna give her attention. Then you add her being pimped out on oprah by simon and then her putting akon on her album how can she fail.

Talula
Mar 15th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Or the fact that she has one good single and thats gonna give her attention. Then you add her being pimped out on oprah by simon and then her putting akon on her album how can she fail.

I wouldn't say she was being 'pimped'! Surely she's just promoting her song?

I admire her for trying to make a real go of it in the States. Too many British 'acts' can't make it there and then pretend they don't want to - inverted snobbery I think it's called. Even Kylie Minogue, an Aussie of course! - made out she wasn't bothered about cracking America. I personally bet she'd have sold her granny to do so! Leona is just trying to take her chances while she can. I'd do the same if I could!

mirzalover
Mar 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I dont think everyone wants to crack america. Plus Kylie Minogue has cracked America twice. Many British artist try and dont make it. Leona is gonna do good cause she sounds american, sings like a american( Mariah/Whitney ). She is being pimped Simon knows Oprah=sales. There really is no reason for her to go on there. She is gonna sing and then talk about her winning X factor, nothing we havent heard the from Fantasia, and Jennifer, etc when they were interviewed on Oprah, but atleast they had done something to be on her show, Oscar, Broadway. With Leona its nothing new but Oprah a nice woman and she wants to give the girl a shot.

Ballbasher
Mar 16th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I heard she is currently recording her US album, her voice is amazing, and I love Bleeding Love, although I have to day her album Spirit is a little to boring for me.
Agreed.That's why I didn't buy it myself!
My favourite two Songs she sings are-
Take A Bow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hx6gXqbDn0
Bring me down:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_8WX3fG3bE

supergrunt
Mar 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM
She sounds like Witney Houston's,Mariah Carey's, and Celine Dion's baby :p.

Slutiana
Mar 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Last night she sung live on BBC Sport Relief and I think this is one of her best performances :bowdown:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AvFM1lTZs4A (though it did sound a bit better live :p)

Lypsynch. :tape:

:p

Ballbasher
Mar 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah I think so.too :lol:
I hope she's gonna rock the US! :D

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 18th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I really like Footprints in the Sand :)

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 18th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Is she going to compete with Mariah when she's going to US in April?:unsure:

:scared:

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Is she going to compete with Mariah when she's going to US in April?:unsure:

:scared:

she is better :p

Sir Stefwhit
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I've ignored the threads, turned a deaf ear to all the hype, and after my initial listen of 'Bleeding Love', I just didn't get it. A few months later and I can say that the song has finally penetrated my initial barriers. It's infectious and it's a grower- now I find myself more and more invested in her. Dare I say, I think I'm becoming a fan.

She's doing great on iTunes, thanks to her Oprah appearance:
http://i32.tinypic.com/2edpdgi.png

Geisha
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Isn't she huge in Europe? In Wikipedia, it says "Bleeding Love" is #1 in 20 countries. I'm in Canada - my brother has been listening to her since he saw her on Perez Hilton. My friends absolutely love the song.

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I've ignored the threads, turned a deaf ear to all the hype, and after my initial listen of 'Bleeding Love', I just didn't get it. A few months later and I can say that the song has finally penetrated my initial barriers. It's infectious and it's a grower- now I find myself more and more invested in her. Dare I say, I think I'm becoming a fan.

She's doing great on iTunes, thanks to her Oprah appearance:
http://i32.tinypic.com/2edpdgi.png

everyone in the uk was really unsure on it in the beginning but its really does grow on you :)

mirzalover
Mar 18th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I wouldnt say she is huge in european but the "song" is. She is huge in The UK.

Ballbasher
Mar 18th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Leona needs a second Top hit and she'll be here in Germany ;)

Slutiana
Mar 18th, 2008, 08:35 PM
It's amazing how much talent there is on American Idol but how much more successful the British people are in britain than the americans in america. The only American Idol contestant to make a massive dent in Britain is Kelly Clarkson i think. I do think that Leona can become the first vice versa. Not too fond of her music though.

mirzalover
Mar 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
It's amazing how much talent there is on American Idol but how much more successful the British people are in britain than the americans in america. The only American Idol contestant to make a massive dent in Britain is Kelly Clarkson i think. I do think that Leona can become the first vice versa. Not too fond of her music though.

The only ones I can think of are Will, Shanye, and Leona. What are the others doing. Oh and Jordin Sparks will be big in the uk. She already has went top ten doen under and is moving up the uk Itunes chart. The only americans doing well are Kelly, Chris, Carrie, and sorta Fantasia and Jordin.

CondiLicious
Mar 18th, 2008, 10:14 PM
uUW43sbLw_4

Leona on Oprah.

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 18th, 2008, 10:32 PM
uUW43sbLw_4

Leona on Oprah.

a nice interview :)

Vacant
Mar 18th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Not really a fan of warbling and ballads, so Leona bores me.

sfselesfan
Mar 18th, 2008, 11:45 PM
She is talented. You just never know what the American market is going to buy though. Given the crap that has been put out by Mariah, Britney, Janet and likely Madonna (based on what I've heard). I'd say the market is wide open.

Can she dance? We tend to go for the total package. I can see she has great vocals and looks, but we like when they can shake their booty too.

SF

mirzalover
Mar 19th, 2008, 03:00 AM
She is talented. You just never know what the American market is going to buy though. Given the crap that has been put out by Mariah, Britney, Janet and likely Madonna (based on what I've heard). I'd say the market is wide open.

Can she dance? We tend to go for the total package. I can see she has great vocals and looks, but we like when they can shake their booty too.

SF

I havent seen her dance. She looks to shy to dance to me but I would like to see her try.

CondiLicious
Mar 19th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Apparently she can dance...

[S@nti]
Mar 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM
don't think she can.. she always looks somewhat stiff while singing

MH0861
Mar 20th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Up to #8 on the Hot 100 :worship:

abercrombieguy23
Mar 20th, 2008, 03:26 AM
i give her 8 months till she fizzles out

Dave.
Mar 20th, 2008, 03:47 AM
uUW43sbLw_4

Leona on Oprah.

I think that's one of her worst performances of bleeding love and it still sounded good. As Oprah said, Leona is the real deal.

dybbuk
Mar 20th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I love Bleeding Love and Footprints in the Sand. In general, I find the album rather blah. I hope she does more R&B next time around, instead of trying to pitch this "pretty voice" so blatantly. She has potential though, I like her a lot.

V-MAC
Mar 27th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Well looks like she is poised to knock Usher off the top spot and get her US #1 now :eek: Well done to her. First British female in over 20 years to do so I believe. Like her or not, that is some achievement to be proud of.

tterb
Mar 27th, 2008, 03:42 AM
She can sing, for sure. I hate her vibratto on drawn out notes in ballads, though (on lower notes, mostly). It's so choppy, at least from what I remember of her X Factor performances.

I like "Bleeding Love." It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. Sounds very early/mid 90's to me.

mirzalover
Mar 27th, 2008, 03:44 AM
She can sing, for sure. I hate her vibratto on drawn out notes in ballads, though (on lower notes, mostly). It's so choppy, at least from what I remember of her X Factor performances.

I like "Bleeding Love." It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. Sounds very early/mid 90's to me.

It reminds me of Whitney Houston your love is my love.

V-MAC
Mar 27th, 2008, 03:48 AM
It always reminded me of Sinead O Connor's "Nothing Compares to You" - just the music, kind of :o

tucker1989
Mar 27th, 2008, 04:12 AM
#1 on the Hot 100 this week! Great job Leona!

mckyle.
Mar 27th, 2008, 04:13 AM

Yep! Very old school. It's different from the processed music teens listen to nowadays. I think that's why everyone likes it so much.

tterb
Mar 27th, 2008, 04:48 AM
It always reminded me of Sinead O Connor's "Nothing Compares to You" - just the music, kind of :o
You know what, that's actually exactly it. It's the beginning organ chords, really - they're nearly identical to "Nothing Compares to You," you could almost hear Sinead breaking out into song instead of Leona.

The beat is what reminds me of 90's era Whitney songs, I think.

Bayo
Mar 27th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Lovely voice. Here's hoping she fully conquers the finicky US music charts. :yeah:

Sir Stefwhit
Mar 27th, 2008, 11:37 AM
This was probably her only week with a chance for number since Mariah Carey's single is now available. Mariah will no doubt bounce her out of the top spot next week and break the Beatles record for most numbers in the history of the charts.

The buzz surrounding Leona is really growing if she continues to market herself and make the most of it she can do big things. She needs to get on a big stage and bring the house down like Whitney used to do back in the 80's- 90's.

Right now Leona, Madonna, and Mariah are all battling it out- so pick your diva!

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM
#1 on the Hot 100 this week! Great job Leona!

:eek: :banana: :worship:

Leona for another couple of weeks would do.;)
Then comes Mariah!:bounce:

Dodoboy.
Mar 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Maria will not IMMEDIATELY get the #1 in my opinion!

LEONA #1! :woohoo:

She will be there for 3 weeks! Too bad she had to knock off Usher:sad:

mirzalover
Mar 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Mariah is so going number next week. Her radio play and downloads are great.

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 27th, 2008, 06:30 PM
:woohoo:

well done Leona!!!

Kart
Mar 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I'm ashamed to say that, much as I like to bash her as overrated, I actually quite like her new song :o.

Destiny
Mar 27th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Leona :inlove:

InTheGloaming
Mar 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM
RnB is supposed to mean Rythmn and Blues. Not screaching catterwalling. Or mechanical voices over mechanical computerised muzak. Runs don't equal talent, despite what Fatty, I mean Randy says.

Too many are classed as RnB when they are just pop fillers.

Conor
Mar 27th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Bleeding Love isnt even the best song on the album! So hopefully a few more number ones will follow XD well done Leona :worship: But yes, Mariah will definately knock her off next week.

mirzalover
Mar 27th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I dont see her having another big hit off this album in america. I think she will have maybe 2 top 30 or 20 hit but nothing more. Her album is so blah.

Conor
Mar 27th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Probably not seeing the amount of publicity given to 'Bleeding Love' but theres a few songs better from her album. 'Better in Time' is just amazing, 'Take a Bow' is really good aswell. We shall see! :)

Poova
Mar 27th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Take A Bow is the best on her album. I :hearts: that song!

mirzalover
Mar 27th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Probably not seeing the amount of publicity given to 'Bleeding Love' but theres a few songs better from her album. 'Better in Time' is just amazing, 'Take a Bow' is really good aswell. We shall see! :)

I can listen to Better in Time, Whatever it takes, Angel, First Time I saw Your Face, and Bleeding Love. I just dont really love them. I wouldnt go out of my way to listen to them. I was hoping that her US edition would have soom better songs but they just sound weird.

Jakeev
Mar 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM
[quote=Sir Stefwhit;12800923]This was probably her only week with a chance for number since Mariah Carey's single is now available. Mariah will no doubt bounce her out of the top spot next week and break the Beatles record for most numbers in the history of the charts. quote]

Ahhh that explains why Mariah's song has been slowly going up the charts. Only thing is though she did drop down one this week.

Jakeev
Mar 28th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Well looks like she is poised to knock Usher off the top spot and get her US #1 now :eek: Well done to her. First British female in over 20 years to do so I believe. Like her or not, that is some achievement to be proud of.

Yup Kim Wilde in 1987 with You Keep Me Hanging On:eek: I think the closest in between was Donna Lewis with Always, Forever. Of course the Spice Girls had Wannabe and yet none of their solo efforts did well here in the States either.

But great for Leona that has got to be a big achievement for her!!

Shimizu Amon
Mar 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I think Leona Lewis has got a lot of talent and she's going to be a huge star for years to stay.
And well she hit number one this week in America, so that is an outstanding performance. But I think she will fall to Mariah's Touch My Body next week. Perhaps the week after she can climb back to number one.
If Mariah should make it to number one it's gonna be her 18th number 1 that's putting her in front of Elvis and two behind the Beatles. But she is the only active recording artist. So there's a possibility that Mariah will break the record eventually. Would be awesome that a woman could hold such a record!

mirzalover
Mar 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Yup Kim Wilde in 1987 with You Keep Me Hanging On:eek: I think the closest in between was Donna Lewis with Always, Forever. Of course the Spice Girls had Wannabe and yet none of their solo efforts did well here in the States either.

But great for Leona that has got to be a big achievement for her!!

they didnt releases anything here did they?

Jakeev
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM

I think most of the girls have appeared on the dance charts (would have to research it) but none of them had a top 100 singles chart as a solo artist.

InTheGloaming
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Warbling wonder Leona hits No 1 in the US. It's a massive achievement. No doubting that whatsoever. I don't know how her album 'Spirit' is doing across The Pond. It was mega in the UK over Christmas. But a warning to all Yankies: it is boring and dire, and the only 2 decent songs are the current No 1, and the cover of that song by that American Idol bird who won a few years back. 'A Moment Like This'. Leona should just enjoy her 'moment'.

Monica_Rules
Mar 28th, 2008, 10:29 PM
MY god you are pathetic. Leoan should enjoy her moment- this is just the start.

People said she was a failure before she even released her 2nd single. Which did amazing then her album has now sold waht 1.7million/1.8million in the uk? and now shes #1 in the US. No doubt her album will now do well there.

Her album was a tad dissapointing but there are some good songs. Bleeding Love, Better in Time, Homeless, Footprints in the Sand, Take a Bow.

Her version of Run by Snow Patrol is just a voal masterpiece.

Jakeev
Mar 29th, 2008, 03:11 AM

Alright well as far as I can tell, Melanie B has had three top 40 singles hit, Emma Bunton three top ten dance hits and Geri Halliwell the only Spice Girl to have a top 50 album.

I really think Melanie C has had some sort of success in the states but can't quite find the info on Billboard.

kz
Mar 29th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Her version of Run by Snow Patrol is just a voal masterpiece.

I love her cover of "Run", it sounds like a new song on piano. The arrangement is simple but really well done...I just had to learn it myself and I love playing it.
But the song could've been a little better if the end part of it wasn't so overdone with "pop" singing.