PDA

View Full Version : Fabio Cannavaro wins Football Ballon D'Or 2006

FORZA SARITA
Nov 27th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro paid tribute to his national team and troubled Juventus after being named European Footballer of the Year. The 33-year-old defender beat international team mate Gianluigi Buffon and France and Arsenal striker Thierry Henry into second and third.

"Of course I will bring this trophy back to Madrid but I would also love to bring it to Turin," Cannavaro, who joined Real Madrid from Juventus in July, told a news conference.

"My season at Juventus was just outstanding. I played 37 matches and scored four goals, all decisive.

"It is also late recognition for our World Cup victory," said Cannavaro, the first Italian player since Roberto Baggio in 1993 to win the award.

Cannavaro said the collective performances of Juventus and Italy had played a key role in his success.

"It is thanks to them that I have been able to show my qualities on the pitch. So I want to thank my Juve team mates and all my colleagues from the Nazionale," he said.

Cannavaro, the sixth Real Madrid player to win the award, also had thoughts for Naples, the city were he was born and raised.

"I would like to show the trophy to Naples as it is a very special city, where I grew up. I used to play football in the streets of Naples," he said.

"I would love to show it to the kids who are in difficulty over there."

However, Cannavaro added that he was still far behind Argentine Diego Maradona in the Neapolitans' hearts.

"Diego is someone very special in Naples. If I am proud for Naples to win this award, I cannot say I am even close of Maradona in this city," he said.

Congrats Fabio!!!!:yeah::yeah::yeah:

FORZA SARITA
Nov 27th, 2006, 09:41 PM
France Football's Ballon d'Or award for European Footballer of the Year has been presented to Fabio Cannavaro. Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon and Arsenal's Thierry Henry were second and third respectively.

Last year Ronaldinho won the award for leading Barcelona to the Liga title.

The prize effectively lists the best players plying their trade on the continent, narrowed down from 50 by a pool of European journalists.

Cannavaro won with 173 votes, with Buffon trailing with 124 followed closely by Henry.

Ronaldinho comes fourth with 73, joined by Barca team-mate Samuel Eto'o in sixth with 67.

In between them is retired Zinedine Zidane, who amassed 71 votes.

The rest of the top ten reads Werder Bremen's Miroslav Klose, Didier Drogba of Chelsea, Milan's Andrea Pirlo and Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann.

There had been much speculation about the recipient in 2006, with Italy captain Cannavaro favourite for a while alongside Buffon and Henry and the maverick Brazilian Ronaldinho.

Some of the world's most influential ambassadors have had their say on where the award should end up.

The most prominent among these was Michel Platini, winner on three consecutive occasions in the eighties.

He claimed that the award would be given to an Italian solely because of that nation's World Cup triumph, and that Ronaldinho and Henry were more deserving.

Milito22
Nov 27th, 2006, 09:43 PM
grande fabio! :drool:

KV
Nov 27th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Fair choice! Hope Cannavaro wins the title with Real too. :)

FORZA SARITA
Nov 27th, 2006, 09:53 PM
:ras:

fnuf7
Nov 27th, 2006, 10:39 PM
:woohoo: I love Fabio :) He totally deserved it as he was outstanding throughout the whole World Cup :yeah:

Avid Merrion
Nov 27th, 2006, 10:41 PM
congrats Fabio! :D well deserved recognition for his outstanding contribution to Italy's World Cup win :worship:

Avid Merrion
Nov 27th, 2006, 10:54 PM
some pics :cool:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/AvidMerrion/fabio1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/AvidMerrion/fabio2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/AvidMerrion/fabio3.jpg

controlfreak
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:06 PM
should be called the golden baldy award not golden ball

quasar
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:18 PM
No disrespect to Cannavaro--a great player in his own right, but I fully agree with Platini:

He claimed that the award would be given to an Italian solely because of that nation's World Cup triumph, and that Ronaldinho and Henry were more deserving.

Etó'o would have been a fair choice, too.

Anyhoo, next year's Ballon d'Or will be sitting in Kaká's trophy-case. :)

Cheers,

Carlos

minboy
Nov 28th, 2006, 01:55 AM
No disrespect to Cannavaro--a great player in his own right, but I fully agree with Platini:

I don't agree with you and Platini at all. I mean, the way Fabio played during the World Cup was just OUT OF THIS WORLD. He hasn't made a single mistake , he's been outstanding in all the matches of the Squadra azzura... and the guy is only 1.75 m, which is very small for a central defendor, most world-class central defendors are at least 1.85. And he's played the best season of his career with Juventus.

Fact is : defending is not a spectacular position, because most of the work is, in a way, invisible, and people will always focus on strikers, attacking midfielders, and eventually goalkeepers, but defendors are and will always be underlooked, which is a real shame. Fabio is only the third defendor to win the Trophy, after Beckenbauer and Sammer. Just put 11 Henry's against 11 Cannavaro's on a football pitch, and I can tell you that the Cannavoro's win hands down.

Something I can't understand : No Kaka , yet Lehmann in the top 10. And Drogba is overrated as well. Give me Ibrahimovic any time.

quasar
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:54 AM
minboy,

Cannavaro should have won the WC Golden Boot (or whatever it's called), not the Ballon d'Or, as he was simply magnificent with Italy. I just feel this prize is way too WC-centered. Henry and Dinho had marvelous seasons with Arsenal and Barcelona, respectively, and should have been recognized for it.

BTW, Zidane had no place finishing 5th (or something like that); he had a terrible season with Real and in the WC had 2 great games against Spain and Brazil and that was basically it. No way should he have been in contention.

(I imagine Zizou told the voters that if he didn't get a good enough finish, he would headbutt them in the balls. That oughta explain his absurd, unmerited high ranking).

Cheers,

Carlos

Diam's
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Is it an international award ? or just a French magazine's award ?

tenn_ace
Nov 28th, 2006, 04:06 AM
he's lucky my baby Zenedine didn't keep his cool :mad:

ClaudiaZ-S
Nov 28th, 2006, 05:30 AM
:rolls: I dunno him :lol:

selyoink
Nov 28th, 2006, 05:37 AM
He deserves this award and should have won the MVP of the World Cup award as well.

shirley
Nov 28th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Congratulations to Fabio :) Fully desered it for his outstanding season with Juventus and also leading Italy to the World Cup :D

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 28th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Henry should have gotten it

wonder if he bribed the journos into given him the award :o :rolleyes:

mc8114
Nov 28th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Very deserving.

Fabio :hearts: :worship:

Ellery
Nov 28th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Congrats Fabio!