PDA

View Full Version : Subdivision Bans Wreath With Peace Sign

Infiniti2001
Nov 27th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Homeowner Defies Board, Faces About $1000 in Fines
By ROBERT WELLER, AP

DENVER (Nov. 26) - A homeowners association in southwestern Colorado has threatened to fine a resident $25 a day until she removes a Christmas wreath with a peace sign that some say is an anti-Iraq war protest or a symbol of Satan.
http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/04/00/20061126210109990016

Some residents who have complained have children serving in Iraq, said Bob Kearns, president of the Loma Linda Homeowners Association in Pagosa Springs. He said some residents have also believed it was a symbol of Satan. Three or four residents complained, he said.

"Somebody could put up signs that say drop bombs on Iraq. If you let one go up you have to let them all go up," he said in a telephone interview Sunday.

Lisa Jensen said she wasn't thinking of the war when she hung the wreath. She said, "Peace is way bigger than not being at war. This is a spiritual thing."
Jensen, a past association president, calculates the fines will cost her about $1,000, and doubts they will be able to make her pay. But she said she's not going to take it down until after Christmas.

"Now that it has come to this I feel I can't get bullied," she said. "What if they don't like my Santa Claus."

The association in this 200-home subdivision 270 miles southwest of Denver has sent a letter to her saying that residents were offended by the sign and the board "will not allow signs, flags etc. that can be considered divisive."

The subdivision's rules say no signs, billboards or advertising are permitted without the consent of the architectural control committee.

Kearns ordered the committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, but members refused after concluding that it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything. Kearns fired all five committee members.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/subdivision-bans-wreath-with-peace-sign/20061126205309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Oh the drama :shout:

quasar
Nov 27th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Rudolph's red nose is a metaphor for communism as the one and only guiding light. Let's ban reindeer from Xmas altogether!

(People can be so silly sometimes...)

Cheers,

Carlos

Sally Struthers
Nov 27th, 2006, 05:56 AM
well it is tacky looking.

Wigglytuff
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Homeowner Defies Board, Faces About $1000 in Fines
By ROBERT WELLER, AP

DENVER (Nov. 26) - A homeowners association in southwestern Colorado has threatened to fine a resident $25 a day until she removes a Christmas wreath with a peace sign that some say is an anti-Iraq war protest or a symbol of Satan.
http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/04/00/20061126210109990016

am i to understand that some brain-dead hick from colorado actually believes that a PEACE SIGN is a symbol of "SATAN"??? :help: :help: :help:

treufreund
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:16 AM
well it is tacky looking.

I don't find it tacky at all

Sally Struthers
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I don't find it tacky at all

Well it is huge, ugly, and looks cheaply made is what I was reffering to :lol:

Qrystyna
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:37 AM
What happened to free speech? :o

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Well it is huge, ugly, and looks cheaply made is what I was reffering to :lol:

My only problem with the way it looks is the placement of the bow. I suggest they move the bow to the top, and slightly off-center to the left.

Rocketta
Nov 27th, 2006, 07:15 AM
pffft, some people. :rolleyes:

treufreund
Nov 28th, 2006, 02:26 AM
uhhh some of you are missing the point.

wta_zuperfann
Nov 28th, 2006, 05:08 AM
right wing American Hitlerians often mistake this,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/Sigil-baphomet.gif/170px-Sigil-baphomet.gif

for the Peace sign

go hingis
Nov 28th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Freedom a word of the past.

Sally Struthers
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Many home owners associations won't let you put up stuff around your house that might be construed as ugly and/or tacky. One of my neighbors got into a big fight with them when he decided to buy one of those big RVs and park it in the driveway. They started fining him and slapped a lien on his house when other neighbors complained. I'm not sure what happened but the RV is no longer in the driveway :lol:

samsung101
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:55 PM
A covenant or homeowners association can make you do anything,
homeowners sign up for it, and agree to their terms when they
buy their new home. You get a nice greenbelt, nice community
center, a community gardening crew, etc., and in return, they
can tell you what color you can paint your house, what type
of lawn you should have, how many cars you can park in your
driveway, and yes, what kind of Christmas lights you can put up.

Some even tell you that only white lites are allowed, or only
colored ones, or nothing besides lights on your garage, no
nativity scene, no Santa Claus figures, etc.

It has less to do with the peace sign, as their rigid rules, and
the people who run the boards that control stuff.

Mello Roos, Covenants, Homeowners Associations, they are
good for the look of the neighborhood. But, bad if you actually
like a little individuality and don't mind a few messy lawns as opposed
to manicured laws.

Heck, they can even take your house away if you get enough
fines and citations from them.

drake3781
Nov 29th, 2006, 10:20 PM
^^ All true but it seems in this case it is a matter of interpreting the rules.

The rules do not explicitly state how a green bough circular wreath with a cross-diameter bough and two radial bows, all covered in multi-colored lights and hung on the outside of the dwelling should be handled. The board needs to interpret the written rule as it applies to that situation.

There was a difference of opinion on this interpretation, and the board president found it not conforming to the rules. He not only prevailed, but apparently fired every other board member, all of whom disagreed with his interpretation.

The board can try to clean up language in teh rules to prevent this situation in the future, but there will always be cases in which the rules need to be interpreted as to how they apply to a given situation.

Infiniti2001
Nov 30th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Truce declared in peace wreath battle

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A subdivision has withdrawn its threat of $25 daily fines against a homeowner who put a Christmas wreath shaped like a peace sign on the front of her home.

Homeowner Lisa Jensen told The Associated Press on Monday that the board of directors of the Loma Linda Homeowners Association had apologized, called the incident a misunderstanding and had withdrawn its request for the wreath's removal.

Jensen was ordered to take the wreath down when some residents in her 200-home subdivision saw it as a protest of the Iraq war. Bob Kearns, president of the board, also said some saw it as a symbol of Satan.

The homeowners' association demanded Jensen remove the wreath from her house, saying it doesn't allow flags or signs that are considered divisive.

None of the three members of the board in the scenic town 270 miles southwest of Denver was available for comment late Monday. Kearns and colleague Jeff Heitz both had their phone numbers changed to unlisted numbers Monday. Tammy Spezze, the third board member, did not return a call seeking comment.

Jensen, a past association president, said she was overwhelmed with hundreds of calls of support and offers to help her pay the $1,000 fine that would be due if she kept the wreath up until after Christmas.

"We would like to thank everyone who has contacted us with moral support and offers of financial support. We are grateful to hundreds of complete strangers who felt so moved by this story they contacted us," she said.

"It seems whenever someone tries to say 'Peace on Earth' it is met with so much resistance," she said. "The incredible amount of support we have received over the last couple of days really is proof to us of how many people believe in peace and in our right to say it."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/28/peace.wreath.ap/index.html
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Wigglytuff
Nov 30th, 2006, 05:02 PM
common sense finally won one!!! :bounce: :bounce: