PDA

View Full Version : Thread for those of us who are BEYOND HOPE

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:14 AM
I just finished watching "Life is Beautiful" and I HATED it! :tape:

We are supposed to LOVE that movie, right? All "normal" people do, right?

I found if simplistic, overly-sentimental, shallow, and just plain annoying,

What's WRONG with me? :lol:

Anyone else out there beyond hope, like me?

kiwifan
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Do you hate the Christmas special with Heat Miser and Snow Miser?

Cuz if you do, then you really do suck are totally beyond hope...

...otherwise, don't worry - you're fine. :p

I thought Life Is Beautiful was "okay" - nothing to feel any strong emotions about either way.

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Do you hate the Christmas special with Heat Miser and Cold Miser?

Cuz if you do, then you really do suck are totally beyond hope...

...otherwise, don't worry - you're fine. :p

I thought Life Is Beautiful was "okay" - nothing to feel any strong emotions about either way.

I don't know that one, but I really like the Grinch. :shrug:

kiwifan
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:27 AM
I don't know that one, but I really like the Grinch. :shrug: Grinch is cool, if you mean the cartoon version - not Jim Carrey. :cool:

Fine, you're currently in 'suck purgatory' - check your local listings :lol:

"Year Without A Santa Claus"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STNUfthedXM

this is just a taste you need to watch the whole thing. :p

RVD
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Well, I found it boring and unrealistic. :)
My son chose it as one of the 6 films that he was to summarize for his AP European History class Summer assignment. But obviously is struck a cord with the 'Oscar' judges. :D

quasar
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:32 AM
As long as you like a Xmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life, you are OK.

Cheers,

Carlos

kiwifan
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:33 AM
My son chose it as one of the 6 films that he was to summarize for his AP European History class Summer assignment. But obviously is struck a cord with the 'Oscar' judges. :D

Oh, for a second I thought you were saying Heat Miser and Snow Miser were unrealistic...

...and that would have meant WAR!!! :fiery: :devil: :fiery: :devil: :fiery:

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Grinch is cool, if you mean the cartoon version - not Jim Carrey. :cool:

Fine, you're currently in 'suck purgatory' - check your local listings :lol:

"Year Without A Santa Claus"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STNUfthedXM

this is just a taste you need to watch the whole thing. :p

Yes, the Grinch cartoon.

I rarely watch Jim Carrey... that's another reason I'm BEYOND HOPE, don't like Jim Carrey and the though of having to sit through a Robin Williams movie scares the daylights out of me. My hairdresser was talking about how much she loves RW (I guess he has a new movie coming out :shrug: ) and I really couldn't think of anything to say so I said nothing at all. :p

The Heat Miser thing was cute.

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 04:04 AM

Now I'm almost mad about it. How insulting to think we are supposed to buy into that load of pre-fabricated crap.

I remember RB jumping around when he won the Oscar, and I didn't know what to think since I hadn't seen the film. Now I think that a bunch of other people in the audience were really annoyed that Oscar-winning had been reduced to this level.

I suppose it would be VERY easy to summarize for any class assignment. It was so one-dimensional.

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 04:06 AM
As long as you like a Xmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life, you are OK.

Cheers,

Carlos

I like that one with Jimmy Stewart and the little girl whose mother tells her there is no Santa Claus, and the mother works in a department store, and there is Kris Kringle who works for the department store, and there is the Macy's parade, and all the letters to the judge, and the house and love story at the end. :D

stevos
Nov 27th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Life is Beautiful is an amazing movie, but I won't judge you ;)

quasar
Nov 27th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Jim Carrey is an unfunny facial contortionist. Robin Williams ain't funny either. Hell of an actor, though.

What's the name of the Macy's-Kris Kringle movie?

Cheers,

Carlos

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Jim Carrey is an unfunny facial contortionist. Robin Williams ain't funny either. Hell of an actor, though.

What's the name of the Macy's-Kris Kringle movie?

Cheers,

Carlos

Miracle on 42nd Street?

Not sure if I got the street number right, but it's something like that.

G1Player2
Nov 27th, 2006, 04:21 AM
I just finished watching "Life is Beautiful" and I HATED it! :tape:

We are supposed to LOVE that movie, right? All "normal" people do, right?

I found if simplistic, overly-sentimental, shallow, and just plain annoying,

What's WRONG with me? :lol:

Anyone else out there beyond hope, like me?

I agree. Life Is Beautiful was extremely overrated and I was bored to tears watching it.

Reckoner
Nov 27th, 2006, 04:26 AM
What if you're like me and sick of Christmas? Seriously, the only thing I like is the time off. Otherwise its lame.

Damn Capitalism :fiery:

I'm a lost cause
:help:

quasar
Nov 27th, 2006, 04:37 AM
drake:
Miracle on 42nd Street?

Then it must be "Miracle on 34th Street." I'll see if I can find a torrent and download it. Been wanting to see it for a while now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039628/

maestro:

What if you're like me and sick of Christmas? Seriously, the only thing I like is the time off. Otherwise its lame.
While I'm a secular Xmas fan and am against its capitalistic overtones, I still like the idea of a short time, however brief, where we can try to find our dormant feelings of good will towards other...before going on and becoming an ass the rest of the year. :)

Cheers,

Carlos

kiwifan
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Yes, the Grinch cartoon.

I rarely watch Jim Carrey... that's another reason I'm BEYOND HOPE, don't like Jim Carrey and the though of having to sit through a Robin Williams movie scares the daylights out of me. My hairdresser was talking about how much she loves RW (I guess he has a new movie coming out :shrug: ) and I really couldn't think of anything to say so I said nothing at all. :p

The Heat Miser thing was cute.

I'm Jim Carrey and Robin Williams annoy you and you find "the Heat Miser thing cute", you're fine!!! :yeah: Your bullshit detector just needs a rest, so Read "Catcher in the Rye" and try not to laugh and you'll be cured after your first laugh.

PS. in So Cal its hard as hell to have any Christmas spirit since it feels like September all Winter. :yawn:

So I just see it as time off to hit a few extra tennis balls. :cool:

Rocketta
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:22 AM
naw, you're normal if you don't necessarily like that but if you don't at least watch 'A Christmas Story' once during the xmas holiday you are beyond hope. :fiery:

cellophane
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:38 AM
You are totally not the only one who hates this movie.

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:41 AM
I'm Jim Carrey and Robin Williams annoy you and you find "the Heat Miser thing cute", you're fine!!! :yeah: Your bullshit detector just needs a rest, so Read "Catcher in the Rye" and try not to laugh and you'll be cured after your first laugh.

PS. in So Cal its hard as hell to have any Christmas spirit since it feels like September all Winter. :yawn:

So I just see it as time off to hit a few extra tennis balls. :cool:

Thank you, doctor. I feel much better now.

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:42 AM
naw, you're normal if you don't necessarily like that but if you don't at least watch 'A Christmas Story' once during the xmas holiday you are beyond hope. :fiery:

OK, which one is that??? I'm having trouble with all these shows.

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:43 AM
You are totally not the only one who hates this movie.

Bless you, my child. (And you too, GPlayer.)

Rocketta
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:51 AM
OK, which one is that??? I'm having trouble with all these shows.

The kid who wants a BB gun for xmas and everyone tells him he'll put his eye out. He finally gets one and he almost puts his eye out. :lol:

quasar
Nov 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM
And speaking of Xmas Story--about which I didn't know anything either, here's an extract from today's NYTimes about a Cingular commercial based on the flick:

"In 2003, Macy’s, which figures centrally in “Miracle on 34th Street,” saluted “A Christmas Story” in a holiday window of its flagship store in Herald Square. This year in particular, advertisers and agencies are demonstrating how much the movie inspires them.

A commercial for Cingular Wireless by the Atlanta office of BBDO Worldwide, part of the Omnicom Group, recreates the central narrative of the film in 30 seconds, replacing the BB gun that Ralphie desires with a cellphone.

Adults in the movie discourage Ralphie from insisting on the air rifle by declaring, “You’ll shoot your eye out.” In the commercial, the refrain becomes, “You’ll run the bill up.” A happy ending ensues when Ralphie’s parents buy him a prepaid Cingular cellphone, the GoPhone."

The full article can be found here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/27/business/media/27adcol.html?ex=1322283600&en=02c9670fdd7f92dd&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss

(Requires registration, which is free)

Cheers,

Carlos

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:26 PM
The kid who wants a BB gun for xmas and everyone tells him he'll put his eye out. He finally gets one and he almost puts his eye out. :lol:

OMG I've never even HEARD of such a show at Christmas time! :tape: I'll watch for it when the specials start to be on.

quasar
Nov 28th, 2006, 02:29 AM
If you get TBS, they have a 24 hour marathon of this flick every december 24th. (Yes, the film's is showcased 12 times that day!!!).

Cheers,

Carlos