PDA

View Full Version : Prominent Chinese AIDS activist missing

drake3781
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Prominent Chinese AIDS activist missing
By CHARLES HUTZLER, Associated Press Writer Sat Nov 25, 6:11 PM ET

BEIJING - A Chinese AIDS activist who was organizing a symposium to help people with the disease fight for their legal rights has gone missing after meeting with police, his advocacy group said Saturday.

Although Beijing launched a more open and energetic fight against AIDS two years ago, the apparent disappearance of the activist, Wan Yanhai, highlights the government's lingering antipathy toward its more outspoken critics.

Four police officers showed up at the Beijing offices of the AIDS advocacy group Aizhi on Friday and questioned Wan for much of the day, the group said on its Web site.

With police still present, Wan ordered colleagues to cancel a symposium on AIDS, blood safety and legal rights that had been scheduled for Sunday, the group's statement said.

Wan spoke briefly with a colleague Friday evening on his cell phone but has not been heard from since, the statement said.

"The colleague asked Wan Yanhai his whereabouts, and Wan Yanhai replied that he was being questioned. Since then, his colleagues and family have lost contact with Wan Yanhai," the group said. Wan's phone has been switched off.

Wan has been one of China's most dogged campaigners for AIDS awareness and effective public health policies. He has frequently angered the Communist government, which had long ignored the spread of the disease. Wan has also drawn harassment from the police.

The government acknowledges the spread of AIDS is accelerating.

Health experts say actual cases are likely to be four to five times the reported figure.

Though it was not immediately clear what prompted police to question Wan, initial signs pointed to the now-canceled symposium on Sunday.

Wan's colleagues at Aizhi said more than 60 people, some of them AIDS sufferers and their families, were invited to the symposium, one of the activities marking World AIDS Day on Dec. 1.

Twice on Friday while being questioned, Wan told his colleagues to be sure any participants who had come to Beijing returned home, the Aizhi statement said.

"Whether this is or isn't sensitive is not by our definition. It's theirs," said Wang Lixuan of Aizhi. A colleague, who refused to disclose her name, said the group held a similar symposium a year ago before AIDS day.

In a sign that organizers were aware of possible trouble, they did not publicize the symposium's location, but told participants to come to the Aizhi office for details.

The event's topics — blood supply safety and legal rights — touch on issues of government responsibility. Several localized AIDS epidemics in China were caused by tainted blood supplies and unsanitary transfusions, and victims have struggled to win compensation from the state health system.

Throughout the 1990s, the government treated the disease with silence and ineffective policies, and Wan was a thorn in its side throughout. He was fired from a Health Ministry job in 1994 after publicly calling for AIDS education and gay rights.

He founded the Aizhi group later that year, and has since been occasionally detained. His publicizing of an epidemic from blood transfusions, in Henan province, landed him in detention for two months in 2002.

======================

Chinese members: can you read this? Can you get in trouble for reading about it? Will this site be censored if the government finds out people can post any news?

njnetswill
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:30 AM
:o :help:

Things like this embarass the Chinese community living outside of mainland China, including myself.

drake3781
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:38 AM

Things like this embarass the Chinese community living outside of mainland China, including myself.

Do you think the Chinese members living in China can get in trouble for reading this? Or could this site be banned? If so, I will delete the thread.

Where do you live, btw? :wavey:

Haute
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:43 AM
It's probably already being blocked by me mentioning the conflict between the Uighurs and the CCP.

flyingmachine
Nov 26th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Stop being thinking the idea that the Chinese goverment = Every Chinese person living in this planet. Because this is NOT true. Anyway, it's better to heard the true than the la la la everything is perfect the Chinese goverment wants you to know. Anyway, this will only makes the AIDS problem in China worse. :(

Pengwin
Nov 26th, 2006, 11:50 AM

I don't feel in any way accountable for the actions of the Chinese government and I don't see any reason why you should either.

hdfb
Nov 26th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Do you think the Chinese members living in China can get in trouble for reading this? Or could this site be banned? If so, I will delete the thread.

Where do you live, btw? :wavey:

Of Chinese descent myself, such an article would be deemed blasphemous by the Chinese government as it presents them in a negative light. If you were found reading it, and the police somehow could read the English, you do have a chance of getting into trouble for it.... I mean c'mon, Chinese censored certain keywords for all Chinese search engines.

People go "missing" in China just like this AIDS activist. I once read a chilling account of someone who went "missing" because he practised Falun Dafa. He wrote a tell-all story after he escaped from his detention centre. They were made to walk in straight lines, and turn in 90 degree angles, all the time with chains on their hands and feet. They were poorly fed, tasered, beaten, and guards always tried to prevent them sleeping during sleeping hours.

But DON'T delete this thread, why should we deny free speech and advocate the very thing the Communist government wants, censorship and silence over things they fear.

The Chinese government MUST learn that they have to change their ways if they are to achieve America's status. However it's so unlikely, since their economic success gives them no reason to change. :o

I don't feel in any way accountable for the actions of the Chinese government and I don't see any reason why you should either.

Exactly. Citizens don't even vote for their leaders.

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 05:52 AM
^^ I agree with you. But our Chinese members are very important to me, and without them this site would be much weaker.

So has this guy turned up yet or ?? :confused:

hdfb
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Which guy? If you mean the one I talked about, then of course, if he was able to tell everyone about his story. :p I think he somehow made it to the States. Just as long as he is safe now... An interesting thing he said was that he was always sick, like sometimes a muscle pain here, or bones aching there, or maybe coughing or sneezing, nothing serious but so frequent that he never felt healthy or very cheerful. But all these problems went away when he started to practice Falun Dafa... it bewilders me really. :p

As for whether to delete this thread or not, I still say no. There have been many threads in the past which denigrate the Communist government on many a message board, but nothing seems to happen.

Which reminds me of another report I read today.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6186646.stm

Forced late-term abortions and forced sterilisations! :o

Pengwin
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Chinese police free Aids activist -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6187670.stm

drake3781
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Chinese police free Aids activist -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6187670.stm

Thanks. :wavey: