PDA

View Full Version : I am JEALOUS\ENVIOUS of America, Americans, USA, The States because...

JUSTICE4ALL
Nov 25th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Saw this same topic on another board, and this is also in response to the "Most Hated Country" I knew who would when in a landslide, so we all know you don't really hate America, you're just Jealous, and certainly envious of America. So please why are you bitches on that American Haterade? :devil: :worship:

azdaja
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:06 PM
funny thing. because of the "most hated country" thread i actually wanted to start one to ask why americans often say other people are envious of america whenever people say something negative/critical about their country.

-Ph51-
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:09 PM
:scratch: :tape:

Lord Nelson
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:35 PM
when the poll closes overthere you will see that many if not most of the people who voted that the U.S. is the most hated nation are actually Americans. :lol:

*JR*
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM
when the poll closes overthere you will see that many if not most of the people who voted that the U.S. is the most hated nation are actually Americans. :lol:
1) It wasn't saying that we hate America, but acknowledging that we're the most hated. (And perhaps the most admired too. Which just means that ppl aren't neutral about us, like fucking Belgium or something). :devil:

2) Your adopted country wasn't in the poll. :p

Renaissance
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:51 PM
1) It wasn't saying that we hate America, but acknowledging that we're the most hated. (And perhaps the most admired too. Which just means that ppl aren't neutral about us, like fucking Belgium or something). :devil:

2) Your adopted country wasn't in the poll. :p

1) Americans have the right to think their country is the most hated
2) I supposed "other" corresponds to France ,and we are far away behind United States :lol:

gentenaire
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:51 PM
So please why are also you bitches on that American Haterade? :devil: :worship:

Because we're envious of the way Americans speak English. Such beautiful prose can't be read anywhere else.

Joana
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:59 PM
... of their amazing public high schools and health care system.

Qrystyna
Nov 25th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I don't think America is as free or democratic as it makes itself out to be. I also don't agree with some of its foreign policy, and its treatment of different racies and sexualities in some areas of the country, but I don't hate or envy it at all. :wavey:

JonBcn
Nov 25th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I've got one:

because at KFC in the States, you get to choose which bits of chicken you want when you order. Imagine that! No scraggy bit with no meat on it and the wing attached, and no drumsticks! Now that's what I call democracy.

new-york
Nov 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
they have the best sunglasses/glitter/red carpets/series/inthegroove part.

and new york city.

Renaissance
Nov 25th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I've got one:

because at KFC in the States, you get to choose which bits of chicken you want when you order. Imagine that! No scraggy bit with no meat on it and the wing attached, and no drumsticks! Now that's what I call democracy.

:lol:

*JR*
Nov 25th, 2006, 11:36 PM
2) I supposed "other" corresponds to France ,and we are far away behind United States :lol:
Whatever "other" meant, Lord Nelson (from India) is a Suisse resident now. ;) You know, that country whose numbered bank accounts have kept it safe because "nobody drops a bomb on his own money". Whose banks fought to avoid giving up Nazi looted Jewish assets for decades.

That wouldn't pay the life insurance policies of Holocaust victims because Adolf Eichmann, etc. weren't nice enough to give the survivors death certificates for their murdered relatives. And gave sanctuary to Frankfurt Felon Rainer Hofmann, including as a Deadbeat Dad.

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 25th, 2006, 11:48 PM
The bottom line is it's the only country people risk life and limb to get to...and most of you Euros can say what you want...Given the chance you would love to live here...God bless the USA...Hate it or love...the States's on top...:p

Diam's
Nov 25th, 2006, 11:59 PM
The bottom line is it's the only country people risk life and limb to get to...

Sure ... :tape:

JonBcn
Nov 25th, 2006, 11:59 PM
well, that's not strictly true...do you know how many hundreds (if not thousands) of Africans perish trying to make it to Europe every month?

azdaja
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:06 AM
well, that's not strictly true...do you know how many hundreds (if not thousands) of Africans perish trying to make it to Europe every month?
true :sad:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Look...the bottom line is...This is the country that I live in and I love it...I would not want to live anyplace else...It's not perfect but I am sure that my life is the way it is because I took advantage of the opportunities that it afforded me. Think what you all want to think and I will continue to think that your hatred for America stems from jealousy...it's kind of like the poor kids from the wrong side of the track hating on the rich popular kids for no reason.

Also, you French and British would be speaking f'ing German today if the US had stayed out of WW2...:rolleyes:

~Kiera~
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:22 AM
The bottom line is it's the only country people risk life and limb to get to...and most of you Euros can say what you want...Given the chance you would love to live here...God bless the USA...Hate it or love...the States's on top...:p

Perhaps the only country in North America, although I'm sure if Canada wasn't so northern many South American immigrants would love to go there, too.

I like America, but I wouldn't love to live there. I'm happy where I am.

Also, you French and British would be speaking f'ing German today if the US had stayed out of WW2...:rolleyes:

Perhaps it's because some Americans insist on spouting such crap that many people dislike them?

Just a thought.

Diam's
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Look...the bottom line is...This is the country that I live in and I love it...I would not want to live anyplace else...It's not perfect but I am sure that my life is the way it is because I took advantage of the opportunities that it afforded me. Think what you all want to think and I will continue to think that your hatred for America stems from jealousy...it's kind of like the poor kids from the wrong side of the track hating on the rich popular kids for no reason.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=242935

quasar
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I am JEALOUS\ENVIOUS of The United States because...
...they are so close to Canada!

Cheers,

Carlos

JonBcn
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:29 AM

That's like arguing you'd be living in a teepee if our ancestors hadn't colonised America: it's irrelevant, untrue, and, if you dont mind me saying so, it detracts from your perfectly good previous comment by making you look rather ignorant.

I don't know why people can't just be proud of their countries without it being at someone else's expense.

Cersei
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:33 AM
That's like arguing you'd be living in a teepee if our ancestors hadn't colonised America: it's irrelevant, untrue, and, if you dont mind me saying so, it detracts from your perfectly good previous comment by making you look rather ignorant.

I don't know why people can't just be proud of their countries without it being at someone else's expense.

:worship:

GoDominique
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:34 AM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=242935

Are you sure you didn't want to post the link to the "I am dumb" thread? :lol:

kabuki
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Bottom line for me is, the US is a country. Like every other country, it does good things and bad things. As an American, it is tiresome dealing with the anti-Americanism on this board. I don't expect to be thanked for the good things that the US does or has done, but I also don't look kindly on being blamed for the bad.

In other words, you don't have to personaylly thank me for liberating France, Grey's Anatomy, or Madonna (even tho she's a Brit now). But I'd also prefer not being blamed for Iraq, Baywatch, or Tom Cruise.

SpankMe
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Re: I am JEALOUS\ENVIOUS of America, Americans, USA, The States because...
They are teh most overweight nation, boring, do nothing about global warming, have a chimpanzee for a president and start wars in countries without real evidence to support their wmd argument. :p

kiwifan
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:37 AM

Hope you're directing that at all those angry non-jealous Non-Americans too.

:nerner:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=slZKol1gHWQ

you'd think that secure individuals would simply ignore such a provocative thread and get on with their envy free lives. :shrug:

But back on topic, I'm Jealous of America because its so f*cking cool, man!!! :yeah: :yeah:

JonBcn
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Bottom line for me is, the US is a country. Like every other country, it does good things and bad things. As an American, it is tiresome dealing with the anti-Americanism on this board. I don't expect to be thanked for the good things that the US does or has done, but I also don't look kindly on being blamed for the bad.

The problem with this board is that people seem to have trouble distinguishing 'America' and 'Americans' from the policies of it's government, which - once again - is a reflection of the ignorance of the posters rather than evidence that OMGAMERICAISEVIL11111!!!11!!.

tfannis
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Look...the bottom line is...This is the country that I live in and I love it...I would not want to live anyplace else...

But you can't accept other people love to live somewhere else? Prefer their country over the US?

Oh and your WW2 comment is just...dumb :tape:

As for the topic :lol: The only thing I want from the US are its various landscapes with all its kinds of vegetation/climate. Exceptional to have a desert/mountains/sunny beaches/all kinds of forests/... :)

!<blocparty>!
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:44 AM

:lol::lol::lol: Dumbfuck. :lol::lol::lol:

There's only three good things about America for me: California, NYC and Aspen. :tape: The rest is just... uh, yeah. :o

tfannis
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Tom Cruise.

Serious issue. Especially since his marriage in Italy...too close :unsure:

Selah
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Because they get to influence (for better or worse) others the world over through their movies, music, technology, youth/hip-hop culture, capitalist idealogy and so on :sad:

kabuki
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:52 AM

There's only three good things about America for me: California, NYC and Aspen. :tape: The rest is just... uh, yeah. :o

I'm sorry. I'm really not trying to be nasty here, but how much of the US have you seen? Is it really so simple to judge a place you have never fully experienced?

mirzalover
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:54 AM

Amen tell them I'm sick of poor bitches hating on Darris, fuck you poor people and you mama too:armed:

kabuki
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Serious issue. Especially since his marriage in Italy...too close :unsure:

Just don't blame me. :p

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Ok...so i'm dumb for pointing out the fact that France had fallen into the hands of the Nazis and England was down it's last gun? OK...whatever...:lol:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:59 AM

Your stupid ass have the nerve to call somebody dumb? :eek: :haha:

Joana
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Ok...so i'm dumb for pointing out the fact that France had fallen into the hands of the Nazis and England was down it's last gun? OK...whatever...:lol:

Obviously USA only entered the WW2 out of goodness of their heart. :awww:

!<blocparty>!
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I'm sorry. I'm really not trying to be nasty here, but how much of the US have you seen? Is it really so simple to judge a place you have never fully experienced?

Yes I have been to several other states. And I was generalising, badly. ;)

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:02 AM

Do you KNOW how much immigration there is to Western Europe?

And not all that many Europeans would love to live in America. Maybe I would if I was rich. I could live in a hot climate, with maximum security around my house to protect me from armed robbers, and live in relative comfort.

But no way would I ever want to live in America as an ordinary citizen.

Stamp Paid
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I wanna move to France. Now thats a country to envy. :inlove:
But I'll settle for Chicago.

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Obviously USA only entered the WW2 out of goodness of their heart. :awww:

No...to keep Europe free...so that you guys can oneday grow up to enjoy the internet and spew anti American hate without fear of retribution...:wavey:

azdaja
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:04 AM
usa didn't give a fuck about the ww2 until pearl harbour and it was the russians rather than the americans who defeated the nazi germany. i'm not underestimating the american contribution, but i'm not overestimating it either, like you do :rolleyes:

Stamp Paid
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:04 AM

And not all that many Europeans would love to live in America. Maybe I would if I was rich. I could live in a hot climate, with maximum security around my house to protect me from armed robbers, and live in relative comfort.

Why not? Being an average citizen here is really not as bad as propaganda suggests...and I'm black and poor. :angel:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:06 AM

Well good for you sweety...I'll continue to enjoy my life as an ordinary citizen in Brooklyn sipping henny in my pentouse and take my chances with the armed robbers...:bounce:

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:06 AM

Yes, that may be true.

So we were extremely lucky that the Japanese decided to attack the U.S otherwise the Americans would never have taken a stand against fascism and tyranny, even if it was spreading across Europe and Britain was down to its last gun bravely defending itself.

So I thank the Japanese for their stupidity.

Selah
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Why not? Being an average citizen here is really not as bad as propaganda suggests...and I'm black and poor. :angel:

Post of the night.

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:09 AM
usa didn't give a fuck about the ww2 until pearl harbour and it was the russians rather than the americans who defeated the nazi germany. i'm not underestimating the american contribution, but i'm not overestimating it either, like you do :rolleyes:

Bullshit...FDR was supplying arms to the British long before Pearl Harbor...:rolleyes:

kabuki
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Yes I have been to several other states. And I was generalising, badly. ;)

;)

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Yes, that may be true.

So we were extremely lucky that the Japanese decided to attack the U.S otherwise the Americans would never have taken a stand against fascism and tyranny, even if it was spreading across Europe and Britain was down to its last gun bravely defending itself.

So I thank the Japanese for their stupidity.

Pearl Harbor was not the only reason The US entered WW2...and I think you are smart enough to know that...:rolleyes:

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:11 AM

I'm sure there are many, many worse places to live. But from what I read, and what Americans tell me, welfare provision in the United States is nothing like it is in the U.K. And the UK falls behind France and Germany in many areas.

I'm sure you manage. But I'd rather be average in Western Europe and feel I am worth something.

But I have many good things to say about America as well.

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Pearl Harbor was not the only reason The US entered WW2...and I think you are smart enough to know that...:rolleyes:

I'll take the last bit as a compliment. Did I deserve it? :confused: :) No it wasn't. But I think you are smart enough to know that it was a major catalyst. And the U.S would have been unlikely to have entered the war without the Japanese attack.

azdaja
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Bullshit...FDR was supplying arms to the British long before Pearl Harbor...:rolleyes:
very nice of him. that means he won the ww2, right?

i actually like americans, btw. i had a relationship with one and most i met were nice. but you are talking rubbish and that can get a bit annoying. people are ready to risk their lives to reach other places as well, you know.

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I'll take the last bit as a compliment. Did I deserve it? :confused: :) No it wasn't. But I think you are smart enough to know that it was a major catalyst. And the U.S would have been unlikely to have entered the war without the Japanese attack.

Again...that's not true...infact...although most Americans clearly did not want US involvement, FDR secretly aided the British under the guise of taking a stand against totalitarianism...There is now evidence that FDR knew about the attack against the Pacific fleet and did nothing...

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:26 AM
very nice of him. that means he won the ww2, right?

i actually like americans, btw. i had a relationship with one and most i met were nice. but you are talking rubbish and that can get a bit annoying. people are ready to risk their lives to reach other places as well, you know.

Everyone should love their country and defend it...unless it's America, right? :rolleyes:

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Again...that's not true...infact...although most Americans clearly did not want US involvement, FDR secretly aided the British under the guise of taking a stand against totalitarianism...There is now evidence that FDR knew about the attack against the Pacific fleet and did nothing...

Okay, I'll go back on what I said. What I should have said is America would have been unlikely to have entered the war when it did, which was by no means in timely fashion, had it not been for the Pearl Harbour attacks.

Is public opinion not a vital mandate behind a President's involvement in a World War which was sure to kill hundreds of thousands of American troops?

Had it not been for Pearl Harbour, surely public opinion would never have turned in Roosevelt's favour. Indeed, as the war in Europe became more forlorn, with Britain possibly having fallen (although I don't think it would have done, but I'm biased), American public opinion would have turned towards negotiating with Hitler, who would have represented no direct threat.

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Everyone should love their country and defend it...unless it's America, right? :rolleyes:

Americans have many things they should love about their country.

But I think they need to realise that their values are most under attack when they cave in on themselves. We in Britain need to remember that as well. By caving in, I mean condoning torture camps and rendition, laws closing down civil liberties, and murderous wars with no legality nor moral or intellectual justification.

azdaja
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:31 AM
you can love your country and defend it if you like, but no need to get carried away. if your country is doing something wrong you shouldn't defend it. you have every right to complain that people blame you for actions of your government etc, though.

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Okay, I'll go back on what I said. What I should have said is America would have been unlikely to have entered the war when it did, which was by no means in timely fashion, had it not been for the Pearl Harbour attacks.

Is public opinion not a vital mandate behind a President's involvement in a World War which was sure to kill hundreds of thousands of American troops?

Had it not been for Pearl Harbour, surely public opinion would never have turned in Roosevelt's favour. Indeed, as the war in Europe became more forlorn, with Britain possibly having fallen (although I don't think it would have done, but I'm biased), American public opinion would have turned towards negotiating with Hitler, who represented no direct threat.

So you agree that US involvement regardless of the reason was vital for Britain and France? And you now speak the beautiful language you speak thanks to us? ;)

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Americans have many things they should love about their country.

But I think they need to realise that their values are most under attack when they cave in on themselves. We in Britain need to remember that as well. By caving in, I mean condoning torture camps and rendition, laws closing down civil liberties, and murderous wars with no legality nor moral or intellectual justification.

With that said...save your attacks for the current administration and not AMERICA and AMERICANS.

Qrystyna
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:37 AM
WW2 ended 60 years ago people :lol:

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:39 AM
So you agree that US involvement regardless of the reason was vital for Britain and France? And you now speak the beautiful language you speak thanks to us? ;)

As I've already said, that may well be true. Britain won the air battle against Germany's Luftwaffe before American involvement, in 1940. Probably Britain's greatest ever victory.

But invasion may have followed later had the war no been brought to a speedy end with American help.

And as for speaking German, don't be ridiculous. Even if they'd tried that, it would never have worked. The Normans invaded in 1066 and the aristocracy spoke Norman French for the next 300 years. But the people still spoke Old English.

Besides, English is a Germanic language and Hitler -- aren't we lucky -- was said to be an Anglophile. He didn't want to destroy us.

But anyway....we digress ;)

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:41 AM
WW2 ended 60 years ago people :lol:

NOOOOO!!!!!!!:speakles:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:43 AM
As I've already said, that may well be true. Britain won the air battle against Germany's Luftwaffe before American involvement, in 1940. Probably Britain's greatest ever victory.

But invasion may have followed later had the war no been brought to a speedy end with American help.

And as for speaking German, don't be ridiculous. Even if they'd tried that, it would never have worked. The Normans invaded in 1066 and the aristocracy spoke Norman French for the next 300 years. But the people still spoke Old English.

Besides, English is a Germanic language and Hitler -- aren't we lucky -- was said to be an Anglophile. He didn't want to destroy us.

But anyway....we digress ;)

I think for the most part we are in agreement...and the "speaking German" thing was just for effect...:D

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:43 AM
With that said...save your attacks for the current administration and not AMERICA and AMERICANS.

By criticising the American lack of welfare provision, the rhetoric, the wars killing over two thousand American troops and injuring many more, and the gradual shift away from liberty under the guise of defending it -- which we are also experiencing here -- I would argue that I am defending American people, its core values, and denouncing its incumbents.

So you need not worry.

:)

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:49 AM
NOOOOO!!!!!!!:speakles:

In Britain we always say, "Nezer talk about ze voor". But we still do ;)

SJW
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:03 AM
We don't speak German thanks to Russia. :)

:shrug:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:05 AM
We don't speak German thanks to Russia. :)

:shrug:

:tape:

BTW, thanks for forgeting that I exist...:rolleyes:

SJW
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:07 AM

Bitch you better hope that someone has jacked your msn account because when I see you online, I always say hi. No reply though :rolleyes:

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:10 AM

I think what he means is that Hitler made a crucial mistake, having lost the air battle with Britain for the time being, in attacking Russia rather than continuing his focus on crossing the English Channel.

It's an age-old belief in Britain. My nan always says it. "We were so weak in 1940 and Hitler didn't realise it".

Maybe it doesn't give the Americans enough credit, let alone ourselves.

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Bitch you better hope that someone has jacked your msn account because when I see you online, I always say hi. No reply though :rolleyes:

Oh! :o

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:11 AM
I swear I'm never on MSN...NEVER!!!! I think that when I'm online it shows that I am but not really...I'm gonna start using it again just for you...:kiss:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Oh! :o

LOL

silverwhite
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:46 AM

You're saying this to a Brit? :spit:

LoveFifteen
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Man, this thread is, like, totally, like, discussing themes that have never been beaten to death on WTAWorld. :unsure:

meyerpl
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Because we're envious of the way Americans speak English. Such beautiful prose can't be read anywhere else.

Hey! I know sarcasm when I see it. That's a cheap shot and really unfair. Most of us speak English really good.

silverwhite
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Hey! I know sarcasm when I see it. That's a cheap shot and really unfair. Most of us speak English really good.

I sincerely hope this was meant to be ironic. :lol:

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:13 AM

Actually I have no problem with the American branch of English. I've met a lot of continentals who lament the way Americans speak English and state that they're so glad they came to the original place because we speak dead proper ;)

I always tell them that language evolves, and it has only changed over the centuries because of the incorporation of new words and terms which were originally slang. Shakespeare created some of them himself, but I don't hear them complaining about that! Breaking conventions is a good thing, when it is done convincingly and made to work. Some Americanisms have been incorporated into British English. "Cool" is the most obvious one.

meyerpl
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Actually I have no problem with the American branch of English. I've met a lot of continentals who lament the way Americans speak English and state that they're so glad they came to the original place because we speak dead proper ;)

I always tell them that language evolves, and it has only changed over the centuries because of the incorporation of new words and terms which were originally slang. Shakespeare created some of them himself, but I don't hear them complaining about that! Breaking conventions is a good thing, when it is done convincingly and made to work. Some Americanisms have been incorporated into British English. "Cool" is the most obvious one.
I agree that language isn't, nor should it be static. It's interesting listening to different dialects, colloquialisms and how the vernacular evolves. Unfortunately, what all too many Americans do to English doesn't contribute to the evolution of the language any more than one contributes to the development of a savory meal by consuming it and converting it into excrement.

Danči Dementia
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:27 AM
you can love your country and defend it if you like, but no need to get carried away. if your country is doing something wrong you shouldn't defend it. you have every right to complain that people blame you for actions of your government etc, though.

I think this post is good.
I'm Mexican and trust me I have enough reasons to hate USA but its wrong why I should hate a country when the only one who is doing the things wrong and bad things to the wrold is their fucking president????????????
That thing of the wall that USA is going to built in the bordier makes me so so angry and the way that the inmigrants are handled in USA some people treat them like shit.

I also dislike this: America is a CONTINENT   
I can't say that I'm American because people will think that I was born in USA   :
Well that doesn't really bother me because I can say that I'm a latin..... and proud to be a latina....:worship: :worship: :worship: .

I'll have to learn to live with the fact that we'll always be handled for the USA goverment.......like it or not...........we are under them so they have us forever:sad: :sad: :sad: we'll always be opressed by their sistem........................................the only good thing here is that our rich culture :hearts: and traditions :worship: will NEVER dissapear for americans traditions that is for sure.
This is something wierd I don't like some american things and I'm 100% sure that an American doesn't like to see his country full of inmihgrants wich most of them are Mexicans................................ its a never ending situation and there is nothing we can do.
We say we are treated like shit..............but inmigrants are still going to the USA like a phrase says "nos gusta la mala vida" its senseless I know.

USA and the rest of the Americans do not have the fault of having such an asshole for president that is making poeple to hate America and I don't think that is fair.

Sorry for my english.....its very very bad.,...............I know:)

:wavey: :wavey:

Danči Dementia
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:31 AM

I know what that is like.........its the same with spanish and all the accent and modisms are used...........................its very very interesting.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

I wonder if its the same thing with the French?????????

Danči Dementia
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:34 AM
And Russia was the country who won WW2.........as far as I being taught at school.
The Riussians won the war

*hingis_forever*
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:35 AM
It's quotes like these that make me think how arrogant and full of shit some Americans are. I'm definitely not jealous of it and I've lived here nearly my whole life unfortunately :sad:.

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Unfortunately, what all too many Americans do to English doesn't contribute to the evolution of the language any more than one contributes to the development of a savory meal by consuming it and converting it into excrement.

You snob, you! :lol:. I thought the British did that best.

No, of course we all have preferences, and some dialects may be hard on the ear. The hip hop vernacular turns me off. But ultimately, if two people understand one another then it doesn't matter how they speak. The evolution of language is fascinating.

And actually, the Mexican poster brings me to another point.

English is an international language and many people all around the world are speaking it incorrectly to communicate with one another. I once observed that when listening to a French and a German traveller. They both understood one another but their sentences were littered with grammatical mistakes.

It struck me that the English language will develop other branches from those who speak it as a second language.

quasar
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Steffica Greles:
It struck me that the English language will develop other branches from those who speak it as a second language.
Completely agree. Just as Latin was the lingua franca during the Roman Empire, spawning several romance languages, English should follow a similar path, blending itself with local vernaculars across the planet.

And I fully agree with Dani's contention. We musn't confuse a country with its government. The US, as a country, is an example of progress that, while not leading to Utopia, has resulted in a fair quality of life for its citizens. Their governments, on the other hand, have traditionally done little more than grandiloquently spouse glamour words like "democracy" and "peace" on the one hand, while using the other to engineer coups--or outright unilaterally invasions--in countries that, while democratic, fail to adhere to the neoliberal agenda that Corporate America advocates.

Cheers,

Carlos

meyerpl
Nov 26th, 2006, 03:57 AM
You snob, you! :lol:. I thought the British did that best.

No, of course we all have preferences, and some dialects may be hard on the ear. The hip hop vernacular turns me off. But ultimately, if two people understand one another then it doesn't matter how they speak. The evolution of language is fascinating.

And actually, the Mexican poster brings me to another point.

English is an international language and many people all around the world are speaking it incorrectly to communicate with one another. I once observed that when listening to a French and a German traveller. They both understood one another but their sentences were littered with grammatical mistakes.

The Mexican poster, Dani dementieva, should be commended for her command of English. She gets her point accross just fine; much, much better than I could using Spanish.

I have no problem with any dialect or slang. I speak a distinct dialect and use plenty of slang. My dismay comes from the fact that while most people from other parts of the world speak two or more languages, too many Americans literally don't even know how to speak one language properly. Some of us are born, live and die never even having learned to properly speak our native tongue. That's so lazy, even lazy people think about it and say, "That's fuckin' lazy!"

winone23
Nov 26th, 2006, 04:24 AM
I think this post is good.
I'm Mexican and trust me I have enough reasons to hate USA but its wrong why I should hate a country when the only one who is doing the things wrong and bad things to the wrold is their fucking president????????????
That thing of the wall that USA is going to built in the bordier makes me so so angry and the way that the inmigrants are handled in USA some people treat them like shit.

I also dislike this: America is a CONTINENT   
I can't say that I'm American because people will think that I was born in USA   :
Well that doesn't really bother me because I can say that I'm a latin..... and proud to be a latina....:worship: :worship: :worship: .

I'll have to learn to live with the fact that we'll always be handled for the USA goverment.......like it or not...........we are under them so they have us forever:sad: :sad: :sad: we'll always be opressed by their sistem........................................the only good thing here is that our rich culture :hearts: and traditions :worship: will NEVER dissapear for americans traditions that is for sure.
This is something wierd I don't like some american things and I'm 100% sure that an American doesn't like to see his country full of inmihgrants wich most of them are Mexicans................................ its a never ending situation and there is nothing we can do.
We say we are treated like shit..............but inmigrants are still going to the USA like a phrase says "nos gusta la mala vida" its senseless I know.

USA and the rest of the Americans do not have the fault of having such an asshole for president that is making poeple to hate America and I don't think that is fair.

Sorry for my english.....its very very bad.,...............I know:)

:wavey: :wavey:

Why is it wrong for America to build a Wall on its borders???? Any Nation has a right to protect its borders from illegal activity. Also Mexican immigration laws are harsher than American immigration laws and you know it. Every illegal immigrant in Mexico is a criminal and if caught they are either jailed or deported. If 15 million people decided to move to Mexico in a ten year span how do you think your country would handle it?

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 26th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Our language had to be made simple so the millions upon millions of people from other countrys coming to the US for a better life would have an easier time learning the language :wavey:

Stamp Paid
Nov 26th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Our language had to be made simple so the millions upon millions of people from other countrys coming to the US for a better life would have an easier time learning the language :wavey:

LOL, do Americans truly believe stuff like this?

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 26th, 2006, 05:19 AM
LOL, do Americans truly believe stuff like this?

It was a joke :p

Danči Dementia
Nov 26th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Why is it wrong for America to build a Wall on its borders???? Any Nation has a right to protect its borders from illegal activity. Also Mexican immigration laws are harsher than American immigration laws and you know it. Every illegal immigrant in Mexico is a criminal and if caught they are either jailed or deported. If 15 million people decided to move to Mexico in a ten year span how do you think your country would handle it?

I never said that built a wall on the bordiers is wrong.....................I just said that it makes me angry and it does.
Mexican inmigration laws are harsher than the American..............come on.               ................. ...........................that is not true..............................in your country the laws are respected and in mine the laws are born to be broken "las nacidas para violarse".
And when inmigrants are caught in Mxico those inmigrants don't want to live or work in Mxico they only wanna cross Mxico to get to the USA and make a life there not in here.......................and most of the times they don't succed and they are caught in the center/north area of the country and sent back to their countries (usually Guatemala, Belce, El Salvador, Honduras and sometimes Per).

Your question is a good question but Its useless to even think of an answer 'cos that will never happen.

You and I............................... me being Mexican and you being American.........our opinion will always be diferent and I doubt that we will get to some point together when we are talking about inmigration..........I want to defend my people and you want to defend your people.............................but I do think that inmigrants are very very helpful, useful and important to the USA as the USA money(dollars) that the inmigrants sent to Mxico is very useful, helpful and important for us.

Its a never ending situation..................................

quasar
Nov 26th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Frazier:

Our language had to be made simple so the millions upon millions of people from other countrys coming to the US for a better life would have an easier time learning the language

It was a joke

Funny enough, there is some factual veracity to your joke. American English pioneer, Noah Webster, actually set out the task of simplifying the aristocratic english spoken in the British Isles in order to both facilitate its assimilation by immigrants (after all, the US was born out of settlers from afar), as well as help it reflect the young country's own linguistic and cultural idosyncrasies. :)

Cheers,

Carlos

Jeff
Nov 26th, 2006, 06:40 AM
It pretty much goes for all situations...when you are big, you stand out and will have several people who are with you, who want to be with you, and who could care less. As for myself, I have my own personal issues with certain aspects of my country, but as far as what other's in their own country think of my country, I could care less. We are expected to help when help is needed, dambed when we choose to stay neutral, and as a stand-out country every mistake is criticized. Of course, many of these criticisms come from nations who don't have the resources to do anything at all, except boost about how great they are for doing nothing.

Veritas
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:13 PM
The jealousy/hatred/envy/whatever is unavoidable since the U.S. is the world's only superpower. It's unfortunate the good things are often overlooked, but I'm sure in the end Americans could care less :shrug:

Personally I love the U.S. It's got problems, but the good outweighs the bad and I know I'd have a much better life living in a multicultural society like the U.S., Canada or Australia rather than continental Europe.

Most of the things I can't stand about the U.S. are superficial. I can't stand the cheese and the cliches (e.g. "just follow you dreams" :lol: :lol: :lol: ). And a lot of work needs to be done to improve racial harmony and power relations. But otherwise it's a great country :yeah:

Veritas
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:17 PM
It pretty much goes for all situations...when you are big, you stand out and will have several people who are with you, who want to be with you, and who could care less. As for myself, I have my own personal issues with certain aspects of my country, but as far as what other's in their own country think of my country, I could care less. We are expected to help when help is needed, dambed when we choose to stay neutral, and as a stand-out country every mistake is criticized. Of course, many of these criticisms come from nations who don't have the resources to do anything at all, except boost about how great they are for doing nothing.

Pretty much agree with what you've said. It's amazing how the U.S. gets so much negative press about its race relations. A lot of the times these criticisms come from countries who fare worse on a multicultural scale.

angele87
Nov 26th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Just on the issue of not confusing America/Americans with the government and its policies, the current government had to be voted into power and it was... TWICE! Now I know not everybody voted republican, and you can't generalize, but if you look at the number of people who voted for George Bush a second time around + all those who couldn't even be bothered to vote, that's a pretty big portion of the population who's not against the current president's policies. I think it's funny how in all kinds of polls the president's approval is below 50% yet he was still elected twice. That statistic, to me, is even scarier because does it mean that people are voting with no idea what their vote is doing? I've certainly seen that in Canada and it's really scary. The same thing is happening now too with our conservative government *shudder*.

Edit: This is NOT to say that it is ok to generalize, just saying that the generalization isn't as far off as some might think.

kiwifan
Nov 26th, 2006, 04:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2N6rscGQxA&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TicuyhN7UYs&mode=related&search=

kabuki
Nov 26th, 2006, 05:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2N6rscGQxA&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TicuyhN7UYs&mode=related&search=

I would agree. Chic is definitely enviable.

kiwifan
Nov 26th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I would agree. Chic is definitely enviable.

green dot coming. :lol:

*attempt failed*:( something about "spreading it around".

I guess some people make too many good posts. :shrug:

Renaissance
Nov 26th, 2006, 05:57 PM
The jealousy/hatred/envy/whatever is unavoidable since the U.S. is the world's only superpower. It's unfortunate the good things are often overlooked, but I'm sure in the end Americans could care less :shrug:

Personally I love the U.S. It's got problems, but the good outweighs the bad and I know I'd have a much better life living in a multicultural society like the U.S., Canada or Australia rather than continental Europe.

Most of the things I can't stand about the U.S. are superficial. I can't stand the cheese and the cliches (e.g. "just follow you dreams" :lol: :lol: :lol: ). And a lot of work needs to be done to improve racial harmony and power relations. But otherwise it's a great country :yeah:

Have you ever been in Continental Europe? I definitely think not you have some cliches
France is so far multicultural .I can say that because my parents were immigrants.
But France is not an exception the Netherlands are mulitcultural too.

Steffica Greles
Nov 26th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Have you ever been in Continental Europe? I definitely think not you have some cliches
France is so far multicultural .I can say that because my parents were immigrants.

Britain, too.

Renaissance
Nov 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Britain, too.

Britain too ;)
but it doesn't belong to Continental Europe

Tom13
Nov 26th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I dedicate this song at Justice4all, cam'ron Giles, kiwifan and a few others.
Sorry for the bad translation but my english is terrible.

"La Ballade des gens qui sont nés quelque part" by Georges Brassens
"The ballade of the one who were born anywhere."

"That's true they are nice all these villages, towns, cities and countries with their fortress, their churches, their beaches.
They have only one weakness and that's to be inhabited by people who look at the other one with contempts on the top of their rampart.
The race of the chauvinistics, the nationalists, the lovers of their flag,
The happy imbeciles who were born anywhere, the happy imbeciles who were born anywhere.

I fuck these children of their motherland, who will never look at what happens elsewhere,
who show you their towers, their museums, their town hall
who show you their native land until having a cast.
They come from Paris, Roma or Sète (the hometown of Brassens) or from Zanzibar or even from my asshole, they are very proud of this.
The happy imbeciles who were born anywhere, the happy imbeciles who were born anywhere

the sand of their beaches is the finest, the air that they breathe is divine breath.
And gradually they become more and more arrogants until they think that the droppings made by their horses make everybody jealous.
The happy imbeciles who were born anywhere, the happy imbeciles who were born anywhere

Their birthplace is not a common place, they feel so sorry for the poor unlucky person, the small awkward ones
who haven't have the awareness to born in the same place than them.
During wartime, they sacrifice their happiness and come out of their wonderful hole to die with happiness in the war against the strangers who are all barbarians

My god, it will be so great on this earth if nowhere you could meet this incongruous race,
This fucking race that abounds everywhere, The race of people of the soil, the people of the vintage
Oh life would be so beautiful in every circumstances If you had not created all these suckers
Probably the proof of your inexistence,
The happy imbeciles who were born anywhere, the happy imbeciles who were born anywhere"

Kart
Nov 26th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Before I went to America I had quite grand visions of what it would be like - mainly based on what I'd seen on TV.

I have to say it and its citizens were not quite as different as I was expecting them to be from anywhere else I've been.

Even if people look different or claim to be different, they're ultimately the same wherever you go :shrug:.

SJW
Nov 26th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Britain is more racially integrated than America. Maybe it's because there's not as many minorities.

decemberlove
Nov 26th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Because we have ice cubes & air conditioning. Let's try to play catch-up, okay Euros? :ras:

kiwifan
Nov 26th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I dedicate this song at Justice4all, cam'ron Giles, kiwifan and a few others.

You know that Georges Brassens is just jealous, right? :nerner:

But thanks for the effort. :angel:

and DLove I was just in Germany this summer and once I asked several times I got some ice cubes...

...and lots of harrassment (of the friendly kind)

So much that I just drank beer most of the time to avoid further ice cube debacles. :drink:

-Ph51-
Nov 26th, 2006, 08:10 PM

and DLove I was just in Germany this summer and once I asked several times I got some ice cubes...

So much that I just drank beer most of the time to avoid further ice cube debacles. :drink:

Cold beer, i hope. :tape: :angel:

kiwifan
Nov 26th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Cold beer, i hope. :tape: :angel:

You know this!!! :dance:

Needed it too, it was a long walk back from the stadium in Gilsenkirchen (sp) after the USA/Czech game -for some reason the Czech fans were no longer jealous of Americans, but I'm sure that only lasted for a couple of days
:lol: :tape:

gentenaire
Nov 26th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Because we have ice cubes & air conditioning. Let's try to play catch-up, okay Euros? :ras:

Well, AC runs on electricity and we don't have electricity in Europe.

-Ph51-
Nov 26th, 2006, 08:57 PM

Are you sure?
A friend just used his tam tam to tell me he saw some light no too far away.
Oh well...it could have been candlelight.;)

kiwifan
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:17 PM

I think you do have electricity :silly:, its just that those socket holes aren't right. :scratch: :p

I couldn't plug in any of my Awesome American Appliances* while I was in Euro-Land...

...yet another reason why I needed to drink lots of cold beer. :drink: :devil:

* I know they were all made in China, but once we import them and I purchase them they become Awesome and American, got that?

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I think you do have electricity :silly:, its just that those socket holes aren't right. :scratch: :p

I couldn't plug in any of my Awesome American Appliances* while I was in Euro-Land...

* I know they were all made in China, but once we import them and I purchase them they become Awesome and American, got that?

TRIPLE A!

gentenaire
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:26 PM

So the cold German beer you bought miracously turned into Budweiser the moment you bought it? If so, it's your own fault for adding ice cubes to it. :devil:

Tom13
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM

:lol: Jealous of who?
You really don't know who is Georges Brassens, right? :lol: :tape:
Anyway, he's dead a long time ago. It's pretty pathetic that some person have not evolved at all for 40 years and are still so ridiculously nationalistic than they think everybody is jealous of them. That's not only an american things anyway. A lot of French are sure the whole world envy them and ask you: "have you this also in Belgium? Yes and already a long time before you have."
When people die because they want to emigrate in USA, you are proud of this. You say: "look my country is so great. People are ready to die to come here. What a great country :fiery: " Sorry but that makes me sick. When people die because they want to come in Belgium I'm ashamed. I'm really not proud of our lifestyle that makes 4/5 of hunmanity (sorry I made up numbers) live in the poverty. I'm ashamed that we close our boundaries and then we gave them a few peanuts just to say: "look. We are so generous; We gave them money. Soon they will reach our level of life" But we know very well that's impossible. The whole world cant' live like us. Simply. There is really nothing to be proud about our countries and anyway we have made nothing except to born in these countries. What a great accomplishment!!!

kiwifan
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:48 PM
:lol: Jealous of who?
You really don't know who is Georges Brassens, right? :lol: :tape:
Anyway, he's dead a long time ago. It's pretty pathetic that some person have not evolved at all for 40 years and are still so ridiculously nationalistic than they think everybody is jealous of them. That's not only an american things anyway. A lot of French are sure the whole world envy them and ask you: "have you this also in Belgium? Yes and already a long time before you have."
When people die because they want to emigrate in USA, you are proud of this. You say: "look my country is so great. People are ready to die to come here. What a great country :fiery: " Sorry but that makes me sick. When people die because they want to come in Belgium I'm ashamed. I'm really not proud of our lifestyle that makes 4/5 of hunmanity (sorry I made up numbers) live in the poverty. I'm ashamed that we close our boundaries and then we gave them a few peanuts just to say: "look. We are so generous; We gave them money. Soon they will reach our level of life" But we know very well that's impossible. The whole world cant' live like us. Simply. There is really nothing to be proud about our countries and anyway we have made nothing except to born in these countries. What a great accomplishment!!!

nice rant. :lol:

Maybe you're jealous of us, too. :devil:

-Ph51-
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:49 PM

kiwifan
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:50 PM
So the cold German beer you bought miracously turned into Budweiser the moment you bought it? If so, it's your own fault for adding ice cubes to it. :devil:

No it turns to patriotic, Sam Adams :p, the Czechs keep telling me that Budweiser belongs to them. :devil:

gentenaire
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM
nice rant. :lol:

Maybe you're jealous of us, too. :devil:

Phhrrrrttt! You may have a triple A, I'm a quadruple B!

(Bright Beautiful Belgian Babe)

gentenaire
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM
No it turns to patriotic, Sam Adams :p, the Czechs keep telling me that Budweiser belongs to them. :devil:

I've got the hand it to you, you do have some taste. Sam Adams isn't all that bad.

kiwifan
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Phhrrrrttt! You may have a triple A, I'm a quadruple B!

(Bright Beautiful Belgian Babe)

Maybe the last 3 B's are true :shrug:...

...but I understand you have a history with garlic paste than renders the first B, forever unattainable. :nerner:

kiwifan
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I've got the hand it to you, you do have some taste. Sam Adams isn't all that bad.

I knew I was saving your green dot for a reason. :angel:

gentenaire
Nov 26th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I need to spread the love around first.

(and now I'm off to bed)

kiwifan
Nov 26th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I need to spread the love around first.

(and now I'm off to bed)

Bed, its only 2:12pm. :scratch:

Do you guys have different time or something over there? :confused:

:wavey:

-Ph51-
Nov 26th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Bed, its only 2:12pm. :scratch:

Do you guys have different time or something over there? :confused:

:wavey:

Nope, but it's dark early over here and with only candlelight...:tape: :lol:

Veritas
Nov 27th, 2006, 02:35 AM

Yes, I've been to "Continental Europe". It's been a while though, since I was a teenager then.

And "cliche" or not, these are my observations. I only report what I've seen and the messages that come from them :shrug:

Btw, I never said outright that there's no multiculturalism in Europe. However, I find places like the U.S., Canada and Australia more accepting of different cultures than places like France or Germany. There are exceptions, but on a whole I'd much prefer to live in Anglo-Saxon countries because I don't feel as much an ethnic outsider.

Besides, in the case of France, just having a large North African presence doesn't mean it's somehow "far multicultural" than say the U.S. Legal, social and cultural considerations should also be taken into account. Although it's a sporadic example, soccer riots which are based on racial tensions don't do much good for the "multicultural" image European countries try to promote. These things happen in the U.S., Canada and Australia, but on a general level, it isn't as severe or frequent.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Based on what i know, Canada is probably the best place IN THE WORLD for multiculturality.

UK isn't too shabby either. =)

Diam's
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:51 AM

Borine, I think you missed the point of most of the threads on this board ...
Lesson #1 : Anglo-Sax'> le reste
so n'insiste pas :angel:

samsung101
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Well, that is still very true.

For all the talk of how perfect Cuba, England, Venezuela, Russia,
China, France, etc. are, people do risk life and limb to get here
from Cuba, South America, Asia, through deserts, in ship crates,
in rickety boats, in trucks, underneath cars, etc.

Every single day.

Doesn't matter who the President is or who runs Congress or
who has the #1 tv show or movie.

People from other lands get it, better than native Americans do.
Especially those that come here, with nothing, and achieve great
things every single day.

For all our faults and mistakes, and the self-flogging we like
to impose on ourselves for daring to be great and different,
for our limousine liberals hate America frenzy, our openess about
our errors, and our efforts over the years that have helped
free nations that are quickly forgotten....it is a wonderful
nation.

The best one around.

I think a lot of the world is very envious of America.

I guess we have a little bit of France in us afterall.
We just know we're good.
We just don't like to say it out loud much.
Without saying we suck at the same time.

-Ph51-
Nov 27th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Well, that is still very true.

For all the talk of how perfect Cuba, England, Venezuela, Russia,
China, France, etc. are, people do risk life and limb to get here
from Cuba, South America, Asia, through deserts, in ship crates,
in rickety boats, in trucks, underneath cars, etc.

Every single day.

Doesn't matter who the President is or who runs Congress or
who has the #1 tv show or movie.

People from other lands get it, better than native Americans do.
Especially those that come here, with nothing, and achieve great
things every single day.

For all our faults and mistakes, and the self-flogging we like
to impose on ourselves for daring to be great and different,
for our limousine liberals hate America frenzy, our openess about
our errors, and our efforts over the years that have helped
free nations that are quickly forgotten....it is a wonderful
nation.

The best one around.

I think a lot of the world is very envious of America.

I guess we have a little bit of France in us afterall.
We just know we're good.
We just don't like to say it out loud much.
Without saying we suck at the same time.

So you're the exception :lol:

Coffee&TV
Nov 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Im jealous of America coz they have snows. :lol:

Qrystyna
Nov 27th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Im jealous of America coz they have snows. :lol:

Oh trust me, you don't snow... it gets old VERY fast. :o

azdaja
Nov 27th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Btw, I never said outright that there's no multiculturalism in Europe. However, I find places like the U.S., Canada and Australia more accepting of different cultures than places like France or Germany. There are exceptions, but on a whole I'd much prefer to live in Anglo-Saxon countries because I don't feel as much an ethnic outsider.
i somewhat agree, but there are differences from country to country in this regard.

Renaissance
Nov 27th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Yes, I've been to "Continental Europe". It's been a while though, since I was a teenager then.

And "cliche" or not, these are my observations. I only report what I've seen and the messages that come from them :shrug:

Besides, in the case of France, just having a large North African presence doesn't mean it's somehow "far multicultural" than say the U.S. Legal, social and cultural considerations should also be taken into account. Although it's a sporadic example, soccer riots which are based on racial tensions don't do much good for the "multicultural" image European countries try to promote. These things happen in the U.S., Canada and Australia, but on a general level, it isn't as severe or frequent.

From your observation don't make generalities please

As you know France had colonies (Maghreb,Sub Saharian Africa,Indochina mainly) and has territories (West Indies, Polynesia, La Réunion,New Caledonia,French Guyana...) all over the world and has always been a crossroad in Europe.

More than 25 % of the population are immigrants or have an immigrant parents.
Otherwise France has the most important jewish and muslim communities in Europe.

North Africans (3 countries) represent 25% of immigrants.
The rest come from Europe, Subsaharian Africa (From Senegal to Madgascar) or Asia (Vietnam Cambodge Laos and China).
Multicultural??? i can add all these Frenchmen who come from french territories in the world like West Indies or Guyana,la Reunion, Polynesia (there's more than 1 million Caribbeans in Metropole).

Look at the French sport...

In tennis, only Dechy or Loit or Bremond have french names...(Mauresmo,Bartoli Razzano,Rezaï,Golovin Fedossova,Foretz)

Look at the French football,volley ball ,handball or basket ball teams

http://http://www.fff.fr/fonds/Equipe-de-France-800.jpg

It shows well how France is multicultural but for sure nothing is perfect there's also racial tension like everywhere.:rolleyes:

Veritas
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:19 AM
From your observation don't make generalities please

If there "generalities" aren't allowed, then that means schools like Anthropology shouldn't exist.

I don't deny making "generalities" but that's the best I can do since I can only report what I've experienced.

As you know France had colonies (Maghreb,Sub Saharian Africa,Indochina mainly) and has territories (West Indies, Polynesia, La Runion,New Caledonia,French Guyana...) all over the world and has always been a crossroad in Europe.

More than 25 % of the population are immigrants or have an immigrant parents.

Otherwise France has the most important jewish and muslim communities in Europe.

North Africans (3 countries) represent 25% of immigrants.
The rest come from Europe, Subsaharian Africa (From Senegal to Madgascar) or Asia (Vietnam Cambodge Laos and China).

Multicultural??? i can add all these Frenchmen who come from french territories in the world like West Indies or Guyana,la Reunion, Polynesia (there's more than 1 million Caribbeans in Metropole).

Look at the French sport...

In tennis, only Dechy or Loit or Bremond have french names...(Mauresmo,Bartoli Razzano,Reza,Golovin Fedossova,Foretz)

Look at the French football,volley ball ,handball or basket ball teams

That's all nice and well, but I never said anything to dispute your point there (that multiculturalism exists in Europe).

What I am saying is that I find countries like the U.S., Canada and Australia more accepting of multiculturalism.

It shows well how France is multicultural but for sure nothing is perfect there's also racial tension like everywhere.:rolleyes:

Yes, but what's your point since I know that fact and haven't denied it?

morningglory
Nov 28th, 2006, 05:47 AM
America rockz! I wanna leave my country and live here later on... :o
So many more education and career opportunites here...

Kunal
Nov 28th, 2006, 07:27 AM
prime targets is what they are

rockstar
Nov 28th, 2006, 08:42 AM
iraq was voted as 'hated' too, are people envious of iraq ?:tape:

^bibi^
Nov 28th, 2006, 09:40 AM
they get Desperate housewives before we do :haha:

Renaissance
Nov 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=Veritas;9556586]If there "generalities" aren't allowed, then that means schools like Anthropology shouldn't exist.

I don't deny making "generalities" but that's the best I can do since I can only report what I've experienced.

To make generalities you need a larger sample and I don't think a trip or holidays in France (you stay maybe 1 week here) are sufficient to conclude unbiased observations.Your analyze is inevitably biaised for technical consideration because i suppose you didn't travel the lenght and breadth of the country.
Anthropology is the study of all the aspects of a society (social,historical,cultural) and I don't think you had these elements to synthetize the French society.

That's all nice and well, but I never said anything to dispute your point there (that multiculturalism exists in Europe).
You said french immigration is mainly a north african immigration which is not for you multiculturalism:you were wrong north african immigration is in minority.As you can see,immigrants come from all over the world.

What I am saying is that I find countries like the U.S., Canada and Australia accepting of multiculturalism.
The only difference I see between France and these "young"countries is that there are not on the same continents.
More seriously compare what is comparable,Us and Australia are settlers countries ,the state of mind is for sure a little bit different.But when you have racial tensions in US (blacks/whites) or in Australia (racials riot against libaneses,Aborigines ),i see very few difference between these countries and France in the acceptance of multiculturalism.It's above all an historical fact.

Yes, but what's your point since I know that fact and haven't denied it?I wanted to temper the watered down description I made of multiculturalism in France.

Veritas
Dec 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM
To make generalities you need a larger sample and I don't think a trip or holidays in France (you stay maybe 1 week here) are sufficient to conclude unbiased observations.Your analyze is inevitably biaised for technical consideration because i suppose you didn't travel the lenght and breadth of the country.

Anthropology is the study of all the aspects of a society (social,historical,cultural) and I don't think you had these elements to synthetize the French society.

You said french immigration is mainly a north african immigration which is not for you multiculturalism:you were wrong north african immigration is in minority.As you can see,immigrants come from all over the world.

The only difference I see between France and these "young"countries is that there are not on the same continents.

More seriously compare what is comparable,Us and Australia are settlers countries ,the state of mind is for sure a little bit different.But when you have racial tensions in US (blacks/whites) or in Australia (racials riot against libaneses,Aborigines ),i see very few difference between these countries and France in the acceptance of multiculturalism.It's above all an historical fact.

OK, you got me there. Yes, I only stayed in France for a little over a week. I enjoyed my trip there and I'd like to go back again some time in the future.

What I'm saying is that in terms of personal experience, that's all I really got - referring to what I've seen in that time frame. But you're right, I guess I gotta have more experience in that country to make a more informed opinion.

And my point was that humanities and social sciences are ultimately based on making generalisations because the scope of the data they collect are limited.