PDA

View Full Version : 32 or 48 Players Maindraw?

Jorn
Nov 25th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Info from the Website says 48 draw, but WTA say 32...:confused:

Moorilla Hobart International receives boost for 2007

Player field increased to 48, prizemoney to US$170,000

HOBART, May 23rd - Already one of the Tasmania’s most popular sporting events, next year’s Moorilla Hobart International will boast several significant upgrades tournament organisers announced today.

Following the success of the tournament in 2006, the continued strong support of naming rights sponsor Moorilla Estate and the Tasmanian State Government’s $750,000 grant to upgrade the clubhouse, next year’s event will see increased prize money, a larger draw and more sessions.

The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has recently agreed to increase the main draw size of the Moorilla Hobart International from 32 up to 48 players. Players at the 2007 event will be competing for more prize money than ever before, with a figure of US$170,000 on offer for players, up from US$145,000 this year.

The increased draw size will mean more matches on offer for the public. The final will move back to its original timeslot on the Saturday and create a “Super Semi Final’s Friday”, with both a day and night session.

Tournament Director Michael Roberts said the State Government’s funding, Moorilla Estate’s support and continued backing from the Tasmanian corporate sector and public would ensure the long-term success of the Moorilla Hobart International.

“With upgraded facilities, more players, additional matches and increased prize money the Moorilla Hobart International continues to cement its position on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and enhance its reputation with the players,” said Roberts.

“The Moorilla Hobart International final will again be broadcast around the State on Southern Cross television, and furthermore, we are investigating the option of showcasing the event to an international sporting audience as part of a deal involving all the Road to the Australian Open tournaments.”

Domain Tennis Centre President, Peter Armstrong, said ‘I am delighted with the substantial increase in the tournament draw size and the interest that will be created by higher ranked players. With the re-development occurring at the club we are really looking forward to next year’s event. It certainly has become a major international drawcard on the state’s sports calender.’

The Minister for Sport and Recreation, Bryan Green, said the Tasmanian Government was proud to be supporting such an important international sporting event.

“We’ve provided assistance through Events Tasmania to once again secure this event in Hobart on top of the $750,000 provided for the Domain Tennis Centre to help it cater for such prestigious events."

“This grant went towards upgrading the club facilities and further improvements to the change rooms will be completed by the 2007 tournament."

“Having world-class facilities has meant that Tasmania has played host to many national and international competitions and that our own local players can train on superior facilities, giving them the best chance to compete and succeed outside Tasmania."

The Moorilla Hobart International will be staged at the Domain Tennis Club from 5 – 13 January 2007.

Ellery
Nov 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Very confusing, I admit. :confused: :shrug:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 25th, 2006, 09:25 PM
from everything that i can see Hobart is a 32 draw

Fact Sheet, Entry Forms
find out soon enough when the entry lists come out on Wed.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 25th, 2006, 09:39 PM
just too weird :confused: :confused:

see the doc attatchment

kirstin05
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:18 AM
the tournament director says its a 32 draw (although he hasn't said that to the media or anything, just in random talks i've heard), and they are not redeveloping the courts. Hobart would need at least one extra show court to host a 48 draw, so its not happening in 2007. maybe 2008 tho! :)

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:13 AM
we shall see when the EL comes out

Ben.
Nov 26th, 2006, 10:27 AM
usually a tier IV event doesn't have a 48 player main draw. we'll have 2 wait & see when the tourney is bout 2 begin.

The Kaz
Nov 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM
no WTA tourney has a 48 player draw...so its unlikely that tier IV hobart will ;)

ozfan44
Nov 28th, 2006, 09:25 AM
The whole idea behind getting rid of Canberra was increasing Hobart md to 48! well thats what i thought!

Ellery
Nov 28th, 2006, 12:05 PM
The whole idea behind getting rid of Canberra was increasing Hobart md to 48! well thats what i thought!

That's what I thought too.

pierce0415
Nov 28th, 2006, 02:58 PM
just too weird :confused: :confused:

see the doc attatchment

so that is the Official Entry Form for tournaments :tape: :tape: :tape:
my grandmother can do a better job of formatting :o

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:36 PM
its definately a 32 draw.

and that doc isnt the actual entry form. its a c/p job from the website (online form)