PDA

View Full Version : Kosovo independence would be ‘nightmare’ for Serbia

Warrior
Nov 24th, 2006, 06:39 PM
By Tom Burgis in Brussels
Published: November 23 2006 14:06 | Last updated: November 23 2006 14:06
Independence for Kosovo would visit a “nightmare” on Serbia’s government by bolstering supporters of the late dictator Slobadan Milosevic, the country’s foreign minister has warned.
Vuk Draskovic said the centre-right administration could be outflanked by nationalists if the final status of the province is imposed on Belgrade by the international community.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I am very afraid of the consequences of an imposed solution,” Mr Draskovic told the Financial Times in an interview. “It will strengthen the hands of the [ultra-nationalist] Radicals. This is my nightmare.” There was already pressure to cut ties with any state that recognises an independent Kosovo, he said.
Kosovo has been a ward of the United Nations since Nato troops drove Serb forces from the Albanian-dominated province in 1999. Martti Ahtisaari, the UN’s special envoy to Kosovo, has delayed making his recommendations on the province’s future until early next year after Belgrade called snap elections for January. In October, Serbs voted to adopt a new constitution describing Kosovo as an “intergral part” of the nation.
Mr Draskovic said there remained time to find a compromise solution that would see Kosovo gain full autonomy but remain within Serbian territory without the right to join Nato or the UN.
However, the Contact Group of nations marshalling negotiations has promised a solution “acceptable to the people of Kosovo”. One Western diplomat said that “any Belgrade proposal offering autonomy is unlikely to fulfil that”.
Belgrade argues that allowing the 2m Kosovans - among them 100,000 Serbs - to secede would set a precedent. “An imposed solution will have to respect the right to self-determination of Kosovans,” Mr Draskovic said. “But what happens when the next day the Serbs in Bosnia say: ‘We also want to use that right’?” Separatists in South Ossetia, Abkhazia and Taiwan might follow suit, he added.
In a meeting with Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, Nato secretary general, in Brussels on Wednesday, Mr Draskovic will demand unconditional Serbian entry to a Partnership for Peace cooperation agreement. A pact with the treaty body could hasten the arrest of former Bosnian Serb army chief Ratko Mladic by demonstrating to his supporters that “they have lost the battle for the future”, Mr Draskovic said. However, Nato has made Serbian compliance with the tribunal a precondition of partnership.
The European Union has frozen talks with Belgrade on an accession agreement, widely seen as a waystation to membership, while Mr Mladic - wanted by the UN’s war crimes tribunal for the 1995 Srebrenica massacre - remains at large.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/f6dfecbc-7a32-11db-8838-0000779e2340.html

Just Do It
Nov 24th, 2006, 06:42 PM
We ( people from Serbia) are not ready for that decision...anayway we still hope Kosovo wont be independent !

*JR*
Nov 24th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Whatever the merits, is Vuk Draskovic a reliable source re. anything? That fucking whore was a "leader" of the anti-Slobo opposition in the 90's, then sold out those with principles (like future assassinated PM Zoran Djindjic) to become a Minister in Slobo's government.
:spit:

njnetswill
Nov 24th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Call me an ignorant American, but I didn't even realize Kosovo was even considering leaving Serbia. :eek: I thought the Montenegro split was the final one possible. :o

njnetswill
Nov 24th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Call me an ignorant American, but I didn't even realize Kosovo was even considering leaving Serbia. :eek: I thought the Montenegro split was the final one possible. :o

This topic interests me, so I did some research online. I was surprised to learn of the great number of unrecognized/semi-autonomous nations in the world.

Cassius
Nov 25th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah, like the flag I'm showing - Somaliliand.
Do some research and you'll discover that Somaliland is a much better country than Somalia ever will be - it's got democratically elected leaders, health care, education.
What has Somalia got? International recognition:rolleyes:
Ridiculous!

dementieva's fan
Nov 25th, 2006, 12:37 AM
So Serbia is breaking up again? This drama never ends :rolleyes:

Lord Nelson
Nov 25th, 2006, 12:45 AM
So Serbia is breaking up again? This drama never ends :rolleyes:

No it won't break up and even if it will, Serbia will keep the northern tip that it already controls. So it can be a win win situation and no one would dare force Serbia to relinquish that part up.

Stark
Nov 25th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Its funny that Draskovic is trying to scare the world with rise of naionalist when he himself was a party of Milosevic govenment, his party supported the greater serbian idea. He has ZERO credebility and is one opportunist politician, funny how people would do 180 degree flip flops to take advantage of an oppertunity :(

So it can be a win win situation and no one would dare force Serbia to relinquish that part up.
:yawn: Stop acting tough, Serbia is no longer the strong gangster in town, now that JNA is gone, even a country like Andorra could beat them :rolleyes:

Lord Nelson
Nov 25th, 2006, 12:39 PM
:yawn: Stop acting tough, Serbia is no longer the strong gangster in town, now that JNA is gone, even a country like Andorra could beat them :rolleyes:
If it is so weak then how come you guys can't even take back republic of Serpska in Bosnia. the Serbs control 50% of Bosnia which of course is normal since Bosnia is not exclusively for the Bosniaks.

Just Do It
Nov 25th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Its funny that Draskovic is trying to scare the world with rise of naionalist when he himself was a party of Milosevic govenment, his party supported the greater serbian idea. He has ZERO credebility and is one opportunist politician, funny how people would do 180 degree flip flops to take advantage of an oppertunity :(

:lol: you are really funny...if Serbia is not powerful nowday why dont BiH take REPUBLIKA SRPSKA back ? By the way if Kosovo become independent Serbia will take Republica Srpska...

©@®eLess
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Kosovo issue will highly influence federal states in Europe giving chances for Basque in Spain... Corsica in France and other regions more right to demand independence...so as i see there are atleast two countries in EU that will vote against it Spain and Greece...that has a large population of Albanians, and in UN...Russia and China will vote against it. So this situation will either spread like cancer all over europe and affect other countries...or will finish as giving high autonomy for Kosovo as a part of Serbia. Second option sounds more reasonable...and i think EU and UN...will not make same mistake as breaking up EX-YU ... i think they learned their lesson...if not...God help Europe....and world as others will demand their independence too...

GrassGOAT
Nov 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I don't really see how independence would help Kosovo. Dule® is right, soon everybody and their dogs will be declaring independence :o It was so much easier when we had Yugoslavia, USSR, Czechoslovakia....

Lord Nelson
Nov 26th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I don't really see how independence would help Kosovo. Dule® is right, soon everybody and their dogs will be declaring independence :o It was so much easier when we had Yugoslavia, USSR, Czechoslovakia....
That just gets to show you that communism is a failure. with Yugoslavia, montenegrins are actually Serbs but their region was made into a state by the communists. Kosovo was given great autonomy in 1974 and Bosnia was created when easier thing to do was give Serb part to Serbia, Croat part to Croatia and Bosniaks would be a minority in either region. I think if Yugolsavia was a monarchy then this is what would have happened. Yugoslavia would certainly be richer like Greece.
Anyway that is the past but fret not. East Germany was reunified with West Germany. And down the road when Romania joins the EU this could make Modovans from Modova eager to reunify with Romania in order to be part of the rich club. Otherwise they have virtually no chance of joining the group.

GrassGOAT
Nov 26th, 2006, 06:44 PM
That just gets to show you that communism is a failure.

You mean totalitarianism was a failure. These countries were mostly totalitarian states that used communist ideas to control the population. Yugoslavia under Tito was the lesser of the evils, and with some good ideas and some more freedoms than others, but still authoritarian.

And I cannot see Moldova joining Romania any time in the near future. Even 16 years after East Germany joined the West, there is still a major divide in living conditions between both areas... and West Germany was far better off than Romania, which still has huge poverty problems of its own to address.

Lord Nelson
Nov 26th, 2006, 07:09 PM
And I cannot see Moldova joining Romania any time in the near future. Even 16 years after East Germany joined the West, there is still a major divide in living conditions between both areas... and West Germany was far better off than Romania, which still has huge poverty problems of its own to address.

The gap between Moldova and Romania is less than between East Germany and West Germany just before they reunified. As you said yourself, Romania is a poor country. As for Germany, they make the differences more than it seems. Sure East Germany is poorer off than West Germany but reunified Berlin is popular among Germans as well as other German Eastern cities like Leipzig. Lignite factories which are extremely polluting have been shut down and East Germany has been confirming itself to EU standards. Eastern Germany is a far better now than it was in 1990 but of course there is still much more to be done. It is however better off than other Eastern nations such as Hungary, Czech republic, Slovakia. So reunification has had its benefits from the economic point of view.

GrassGOAT
Nov 26th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Eastern Germany's current GDP per capita is lower than it was in 1989, but I think a lot of that has to do with alot of the people having migrated to the West after the wall was open.

I guess it is a different kind of difference - East Germany in 1989 was better off than Romania today... according to the World Factbook of 1989 (http://www.theodora.com/wfb1989/) the GDP per capita for West Germany was $18,370 and for East Germany it was $12,500. In 2006 terms, that equals to about $28,700 and $19,500 respectively. I read an article somewhere (wish I had bookmarked it) that today Eastern Germany's GDP per capita is only about $9,000. Currently Romania has a GDP per capita of $8,200 whereas Moldova's is a very paltry $1,900.

Anyway we should make a separate thread about this as it has nothing to do with Serbia or Kosovo :lol: