PDA

View Full Version : Customer Care Outsourcing

Yonexforever
Nov 24th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I need to rage for a minute... indulge me.
I am having a problem with my Verizon DSL service, why in Gods name must I deal with a call center in Bangalore India somewhere?
I understand cost saving measures etc.. BUT English is NOT their first language and you constantly have to repeat yourself.
They cant even tell what day it is!!!!!
This was all compounded by a call to United Airlines where the reservationist was ALSO in India?
I cant stand it!!!!!!!!
Im all for globalization but DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!
Needless to say i got NO satisfaction from either organization!!
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

quasar
Nov 24th, 2006, 07:14 PM
A sad example of enhancing shareholder value conflicting with customer service.

Cheers,

Carlos

drake3781
Nov 24th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Did you know that at some fast food restaurant drive-thrus, the person you are talking to placing your order is in another country?? :eek:

I'll see if I can find a link (but it's true)!

nikita771
Nov 24th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I can definitely empathize with you. There is nothing more frustrating that trying to problem solve with someone who you cannot understand.

drake3781
Nov 24th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Did you know that at some fast food restaurant drive-thrus, the person you are talking to placing your order is in another country?? :eek:

I'll see if I can find a link (but it's true)!

Well, here is a link. It may not necessarily be in another country, but it could.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Outsourcing the drive-thru window (http://www.foodfacts.info/blog/2006/11/outsourcing-drive-thru-window.html)

Some fast food restaurants are now relying on remote call-centers to take their drive-thru orders. That means the next time you speak into a drive-thru order box the person your talking to on the other end of the wires could be miles away.

Remote call-centers for order taking is just part of a comprehensive order effeciency solution offered to fast food restaurants by a company called Exit41 (http://www.exit41.com/).

Another part of the plan is a camera that takes a photo of each customer as they speak their order into the drive-thru box. This photo is then used at the drive-thru window to help the fast food employee match the right food order with the right customer (see photo above).

Exit41's system promises to provide fast food restaurants with increased drive-thru capacity, higher order accuracy and speed, and improve customer satsifaction. Their system is in place in some Wendy's, Burger King, Panda Express and McDonald's locations.

There is an animated illustration and explanation of the features and benefits of Exit41's system on their website (http://www.exit41.com/).

http://www.foodfacts.info/blog/uploaded_images/exit41-queue-photos.gif

quasar
Nov 24th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Hope Americans outsource the presidency of their country...

Cheers,

Carlos

Mother_Marjorie
Nov 24th, 2006, 11:53 PM
HP recently made a decision to pull its customer service out of India for similar reasons. After they botched the shipping of my laptop (language barrier), I wrote to HP's corporate office and complained. I'm sure I'm not the only one either, which is what prompted the change.

My best suggestion for you would be to send them a written grievance and be very specific about your complaint.

quasar
Nov 25th, 2006, 12:07 AM
The main problem with Indian call-centers is that their accent is too difficult to comprehend, hindering effective communication.

Cheers,

Carlos

Jidkova84
Nov 25th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I had the same problem with Verizon DSL and finally emailed them with my problem and they gave me another number to call. I called it and they were all english speaking, so I think they have some call centers in the US too.

Mother_Marjorie
Nov 25th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I am so bitchy about the outsourcing that I always ask for an English-speaking customer service rep.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 25th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I am so bitchy about the outsourcing that I always ask for an English-speaking customer service rep.
Where I work, we outsource to India and when people ask me for English speakers next time I transfer them, I give them some corporate spiel on equal opportunity employment and everybody at *insert company name here* being equally qualified to serve their needs ;)

ico4498
Nov 25th, 2006, 01:37 AM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:I am having a problem with my Verizon DSL service, why in Gods name must I deal with a call center in Bangalore India somewhere?

are you willing to pay the difference?

Rocketta
Nov 25th, 2006, 02:17 AM

can't speak for the thread starter but I know it's money well spent especially when you are talking about computers and such. What bothers me the most is they make them use these 'Western' sounding name but lets not kid, white sounding names and then you hear this accent. My Customer service rep does not have to be american and they certainly don't have to have a traditional western names. To me that practice is direspecful to the worker if they are good enough to work for the company but they are not good enough for the companies' patrons to know, It's basically disrespectful to the customer.(It's basically admiting that even the company knows there are problems with this business plan).

The next 5 years will be very interesting. Jobs are disappearing for the middle class and we will see where these type of jobs head next. :shrug:

ico4498
Nov 25th, 2006, 04:56 AM
:shrug: What bothers me the most is they make them use these 'Western' sounding name but lets not kid, white sounding names and then you hear this accent.

i hear yah Rocketta, don't really disagree with anything you've written.

pretty sure you already know the anglo name change supposedly helps some customers bridge the cultural divide. truth is, there are bunches of folks that will never orally wrap their tongue around Vengsarkar or such like ...

my son, has an Ethiopian name, two syllables. i thought it would be pretty easy to pronounce, by no means is it a tongue twister. after a while ... he used his middle name exclusively for folks outside the family.

Wigglytuff
Nov 25th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I need to rage for a minute... indulge me.
I am having a problem with my Verizon DSL service, why in Gods name must I deal with a call center in Bangalore India somewhere?
I understand cost saving measures etc.. BUT English is NOT their first language and you constantly have to repeat yourself.
They cant even tell what day it is!!!!!
This was all compounded by a call to United Airlines where the reservationist was ALSO in India?
I cant stand it!!!!!!!!
Im all for globalization but DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!
Needless to say i got NO satisfaction from either organization!!
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: i FEEL your pain.

it is HARD, but i think one way is too deal with only places who use american or canadian call centers.

apple for example uses american and canadian workers to take orders and address issues. (calling at like 4am est will get you straight to canada. its fun to ask them what a particular apple product is "about" :lol: :lol: :tape: :tape:

continental also uses american workers to take orders.

godaddy does also.

there is one company i want to jetblue, that has no call centers instead its calls go to home wifes and house husbands in the midwest that work from home.

Wigglytuff
Nov 25th, 2006, 05:12 AM

what difference. there is no true cost difference as a whole, the difference is that companies what to pay their execs more. because we ALL know microsoft and the like have MORE than enough money to keep the call centers in america and not charge one penny more for the products.

so the question should be am i willing to work with a companies whose execs are paid a little less in order to keep call centers in america. of course.

am i willing to deal with companies that bs users into calling india? not if i can fucking help it.

ico4498
Nov 25th, 2006, 05:40 AM
what difference. there is no true cost difference as a whole, the difference is that companies what to pay their execs more. because we ALL know microsoft and the like have MORE than enough money to keep the call centers in america and not charge one penny more for the products.

so the question should be am i willing to work with a companies whose execs are paid a little less in order to keep call centers in america. of course.

am i willing to deal with companies that bs users into calling india? not if i can fucking help it.

disagree Wiggly. there is an obvious cost difference. multi national corps. want a sexy bottom line. hire the same worker in the US and provide health insurance, pay the difference in wages (these developed countries have nasties like minimum wages).

if you expect the folks running the circus to elect situations where they earn less ... well aint saying its impossible, Adam Smith says, no precedent for that.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 25th, 2006, 05:45 AM
apple for example uses american and canadian workers to take orders and address issues. (calling at like 4am est will get you straight to canada. its fun to ask them what a particular apple product is "about" :lol: :lol: :tape: :tape:

1) Apple has a call centre in India. They deal with technical support - ie; they address technical issues ;)

2) The Canadian queue, like the American queue, is only open from 9 till 9 eastern. So call at 4am all you'd like, and enjoy the voice recording.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 25th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I can cope with some Indian taking my order... after all, it shouldn't take no longer than a couple of minutes. (BTW who orders on the phone now anyway? :o) What I DESPISE is Indian customer/technical support assistants named 'Tom' or 'Lisa' at the end of the line after holding for 2 fricking hours. There is nothing that pisses me off more than trying to explain something technical to these people. They have NO idea what you're talking about half the time and put you on hold while they chat to their 'colleague', come back and tell you they don't know what the problem is.

My name is Tim... they ask me how to spell that. Nuff said.

Wigglytuff
Nov 25th, 2006, 05:11 PM
disagree Wiggly. there is an obvious cost difference. multi national corps. want a sexy bottom line. hire the same worker in the US and provide health insurance, pay the difference in wages (these developed countries have nasties like minimum wages).

if you expect the folks running the circus to elect situations where they earn less ... well aint saying its impossible, Adam Smith says, no precedent for that.

yes there is a cost difference for that part but what i was saying is the total cost of running a business for the vast majority of industries and companies its not a savings that consumers will see. that is money that goes to pad the wallets of already over paided execs. like i said before, take microsoft for example, it would NOT mean that the consumer would have to pay any extra to get support based out of the us. its not as if they are for want of money. so why do companies who are already turning billions in profit make the choice to outsource. to pay execs more and to please share holders.

i didnt say that i expected anything from them, what i am saying is lets not lie to ourselves about the REASONS for this. and it has nothing to do with making the product cheaper for consumers. if people still want to pay for the execs pay raises by stressing themselves out with calls to india thats their choice. but its a lie to say that thats how things HAVE to be to make products affordable.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 25th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I'm curious - does anybody have an issue with outsourcing to Canada? Sure, you can understand our accents but those are still jobs that could easily be filled by an American.

Of course, I make about 50% doing what I do than my American counterparts do... that's why I have my job, I guess ;)

Wigglytuff
Nov 25th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I'm curious - does anybody have an issue with outsourcing to Canada? Sure, you can understand our accents but those are still jobs that could easily be filled by an American.

Of course, I make about 50% doing what I do than my American counterparts do... that's why I have my job, I guess ;)

i dont mind it. i just have a great laff doing everything i can to make them say "about" as many times as possible.

for me at least its not about xenophobia its about being about to do what you need to do in a speedy manner were you understood.

Stamp Paid
Nov 25th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Shit most of the time I get one of those foreign call centers, I'm the only one having a hard time understanding. :o

drake3781
Nov 25th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I called Panasonic call center about my TV, and I could tell the guy was in the USA and he did a terrible - even laughable - job.

Basically, he found the owner's manual that I already had, but I had to wait for him to find it, then he read the page that I referred him to back to me, which was not helpful since I pointed him to the page in the first place, then he told me something off-the-cuff about his TV at home. At that point I got off the phone as fast as possible.

I would have called back to complain but I knew it would be impossible to get in touch with the right department/supervisor, and even if I could, the chance that someone cared seemed very slim.

Wigglytuff
Nov 25th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I called Panasonic call center about my TV, and I could tell the guy was in the USA and he did a terrible - even laughable - job.

Basically, he found the owner's manual that I already had, but I had to wait for him to find it, then he read the page that I referred him to back to me, which was not helpful since I pointed him to the page in the first place, then he told me something off-the-cuff about his TV at home. At that point I got off the phone as fast as possible.

I would have called back to complain but I knew it would be impossible to get in touch with the right department/supervisor, and even if I could, the chance that someone cared seemed very slim.

dude i could have told panasonic call center sucks ass. though last i called i thought i was calling india. sony also sucks ass. man panasonic pissed me off. i have $600 panasonic camera and was just calling to order to connector cable that goes from camera to computer because they dont use a standard cable. i never thought something so simple would lead to so many transfers and crap. i ended up just getting a sd to usb adaptor and called the whole thing off.

*JR*
Nov 25th, 2006, 09:14 PM

Little secret: a lot of travel companies (airlines and hotel chains for example) use call centers located here... in prisons. That's right, you may be telling some guy or gal doing hard time your credit card number, and when you're going 2B away. :eek: