PDA

View Full Version : California....California...hey hey hey

No Name Face
Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:27 AM
So long story short, I'm from New York. I've never left the East Coast. Ever.

And this is crazy but I'm graduating from college this May...I'm 20...and I'm thinking of deferring my job offer on Wall Street to do Teach For America for two years. I really want to give back to the kiddies and my community, because I've never had the opportunity to do so. And I've always wanted to teach. So TFA pretty much puts us recent graduates with underprivileged children. I'll most likely get put with black children and that's what I want. We teach them for two years. And then we get discharged and get to go on with our lives, pretty much.

So I really want to do it. Though the salary is literally half of my current offer, I really want to see if I can make a difference and give some kids hope for the future. I care about money, but not that much. This is far more important.

However, if I accept this offer I want to move to California because I feel like it'll be cathartic to start over in a place I don't know and see how strong I really am.

So can anyone tell me about Cali? Specifically the Bay Area and/or Los Angeles because that's where I'd be teaching.

Also if anyone has any advice on how to teach and hopefully inspire these young children over two years, also let me know. I guess I'm targeting the parents of children on this MB.

Thanks so much in advance. It's very appreciated. :wavey:

G1Player2
Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:38 AM
I love California and I can't even dream about ever leaving. The Bay Area is one of the coldest places in California. This is because most of the cities surrounding the bay are near the ocean obviously. Very diverse cities. Oakland, Richmond, Vallejo, San Francisco, Daly City, etc. San Francisco is a really big city with lots of people and it is the GAY capital. I even saw two gay midgets holding hands but if you are comfortable with your sexuality I wouldn't worry about. Pier 39 is my favorite place to go in San Francisco. This is not even a good synopsis but I will tell you more later. There are also alot of panhandlers and homeless people In San Fran.

L.A. is ALOT hotter than the Bay Area and is also very diverse. You will see lots of celebrities here but I don't think most people in L.A. are all that starstruck so it's not that big of a deal when you see a celebrity. There are loads of things to do in L.A. and Hollywood isn't too far away. Some parts are VERY dangerous in L.A particularly downtown at night but most of L.A. is pretty fun and diverse. Well, this is only 10% of what California has to offer but I can't be around much longer. I will post more later.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 23rd, 2006, 08:05 AM
move to the Bay Area. I think you'd like it there better if you like New York.

however, i THINK (i could be wrong), that the black kids in LA need more help in general. The LAUSD school district is overcrowded & underfunded so any help would definitely be appreciated.

G1Player2
Nov 23rd, 2006, 08:06 AM

however, i THINK (i could be wrong), that the black kids in LA need more help in general. The LAUSD school district is overcrowded & underfunded so any help would definitely be appreciated.

You live in California? And I agree about L.A. but I don't know if No Name Face will be ready for that. :lol:

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 23rd, 2006, 08:09 AM
You live in California? And I agree about L.A. but I don't know if No Name Face will be ready for that. :lol:

yea... LA is crazy. but if he really wants to help, and is ready for anything, i think it could be worth it for him to come to la.

lol yes i lived in california my whole life. los angeles and northern orange county my whoooooooooole life. :o

Pheobo
Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
I lived in the bay area for years (North Bay: Guerneville, CA) and I fucking love it and I miss it. It's a great place. Great food, great people, diversity, so much nature. The Russian River is amazing.

You should really move there.

I grew up in the Los Angeles area...it never really appealed to me.

cometz9
Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:14 AM
thats cool, my cousin did TFA in LA for 2 years, she loved it over there. Personally, i would rather live in SF because it's less hectic than LA.

RVD
Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:15 AM

And this is crazy but I'm graduating from college this May...I'm 20...and I'm thinking of deferring my job offer on Wall Street to do Teach For America for two years. I really want to give back to the kiddies and my community, because I've never had the opportunity to do so. And I've always wanted to teach. So TFA pretty much puts us recent graduates with underprivileged children. I'll most likely get put with black children and that's what I want. We teach them for two years. And then we get discharged and get to go on with our lives, pretty much.

So I really want to do it. Though the salary is literally half of my current offer, I really want to see if I can make a difference and give some kids hope for the future. I care about money, but not that much. This is far more important.

However, if I accept this offer I want to move to California because I feel like it'll be cathartic to start over in a place I don't know and see how strong I really am.

So can anyone tell me about Cali? Specifically the Bay Area and/or Los Angeles because that's where I'd be teaching.

Also if anyone has any advice on how to teach and hopefully inspire these young children over two years, also let me know. I guess I'm targeting the parents of children on this MB.

Thanks so much in advance. It's very appreciated. :wavey:Hey NNF, that's incredibly admirable of you!!! :worship: :worship: And believe me when I say that you will feel wonderfully fulfilled when you see those little faces looking to you for assistance and leadership. The only other feeling that I could compare it to is having your own kid do the same. :lol:

As far as whether the surrounding cities here honor the TFA program, I'll have to check. However, I know for a fact that many cities here need the help. As GPlayer21 mentioned earlier, locations like Oakland, Richmond, Vallejo, San Francisco, and Daly City, could certainly utilize your youthful energy and talents. Some other location you may want to consider include San Pablo, Fremont, East Palo Alto, and San Mateo.

Also, if you enjoy great weather, diversity, incredible food, and world class tourism, then the Bay Area is the place to be. But more importantly, the areas that need the most help, as far as I know, are Oakland, San Francisco, East Palo Alto, Richmond, and Vallejo. And though I've visited L.A. countless times, I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with their school system to be of any assistance. maybe kiwifan can help you there. :cool:

At any rate, I'll look and ask around in my district for you if you are interested. :wavey:
We can correspond through PM from here on if you like. Wherever you decide to go, I'm sure you'll be appreciated and welcomed, because MAN do we need help. :lol: :cool:

kiwifan
Nov 23rd, 2006, 01:10 PM

Just for you, I've called a few demography experts and polled them and the results follow:

The Bay Area sucks.

Southern Cal rocks.

These people are at the top of their field so I'd go with their evaluation. :angel:

No Name Face
Nov 23rd, 2006, 01:21 PM

well...i'm from New York, but not New York City. I'm two hours north of NYC which equals rural-ness.

So you still think I'll like the Bay Area if I'm not from the city?

-----

Thanks for the input guys.

Can you tell me any more about these areas? How's the nightlife? What things can I do? What's the tennis scene like? Beaches? Clubs? Food?

I wanted to move to LA just cuz I don't know what the Bay Area is :confused:

Also, on an aside I sorta hate Thanksgiving because I always have to wake up so freaking early. Seriously. My parents don't know this, but I go to bed at like..6am, I don't wake up then :mad:

No Name Face
Nov 23rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Hey NNF, that's incredibly admirable of you!!! :worship: :worship: And believe me when I say that you will feel wonderfully fulfilled when you see those little faces looking to you for assistance and leadership. The only other feeling that I could compare it to is having your own kid do the same. :lol:

As far as whether the surrounding cities here honor the TFA program, I'll have to check. However, I know for a fact that many cities here need the help. As GPlayer21 mentioned earlier, locations like Oakland, Richmond, Vallejo, San Francisco, and Daly City, could certainly utilize your youthful energy and talents. Some other location you may want to consider include San Pablo, Fremont, East Palo Alto, and San Mateo.

Also, if you enjoy great weather, diversity, incredible food, and world class tourism, then the Bay Area is the place to be. But more importantly, the areas that need the most help, as far as I know, are Oakland, San Francisco, East Palo Alto, Richmond, and Vallejo. And though I've visited L.A. countless times, I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with their school system to be of any assistance. maybe kiwifan can help you there. :cool:

At any rate, I'll look and ask around in my district for you if you are interested. :wavey:
We can correspond through PM from here on if you like. Wherever you decide to go, I'm sure you'll be appreciated and welcomed, because MAN do we need help. :lol: :cool:

thank you! i will PM you when i actually make my decision.
however, every day i inch closer to saying yes.

decemberlove
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Well, I'll be the lone party pooper and say that I think it's a bad idea.

kiwifan
Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:27 PM

stinker. :nerner:

a little public service in your early years is good for the soul. :angel: :angel: :angel:

the "big money boys" are going to treat you like a snot nose punk early on anyway (they show love when their recruiting but once they've got you...) so its better to be a little older and world wise, bring more than "book learnin'" to the table. :cool:

but if you come down to the Hotel California...

...you can check in any time you like, but you'll never leave. :devil:

Just from the tennis perspective alone, once you get used to never having to check the weather report before you schedule a match with your buddies...

...you'll come to the conclusion that you'd be crazy to go back to real weather. :p

This of course only applies to Glorious So Cal, up North their weather sucks sooooo bad they have to wear layers in Summer (hot for 3 minutes, then windy for an hour, then it rains for 9 minutes, then its cold as shit for an hour, then its hot again - I've seen this with my own eyes :scared: )

VeeReeDavJCap81
Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
LA is cool, but I also think where you come FROM is the deciding factor of whether or not you'll like LA. If you're from a midwest state, seems like most midwesterners that I've met that have moved from LA love it. They love the fast pace, materialistic lifestyle as it is a direct contrast from where they come from. I find that southerners don't like LA too much because everyone is "rude" :lol: With east coasters, I find it to be a mixed group. Some think we're way too shallow for their tastes, while others don't mind it at all.

This is a huge decision for you, and props to graduating at 20 :eek: I'm 25 and still in college :tape:

TF Chipmunk
Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Well, I'll be the lone party pooper and say that I think it's a bad idea.Sorry to poop your party but I think so too :o

kiwifan
Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:58 PM
LA is cool, but I also think where you come FROM is the deciding factor of whether or not you'll like LA. If you're from a midwest state, seems like most midwesterners that I've met that have moved from LA love it. They love the fast pace, materialistic lifestyle as it is a direct contrast from where they come from. I find that southerners don't like LA too much because everyone is "rude" :lol: With east coasters, I find it to be a mixed group. Some think we're way too shallow for their tastes, while others don't mind it at all.

This is a huge decision for you, and props to graduating at 20 :eek: I'm 25 and still in college :tape:

All joking aside this is true.

I'm a East Coast guy originally (even though I was born in GA, most of my life - K,1,8-12 & College was up north).

LA is shallow as hell compared with back East.

You will not be respected for your mind unless your mind is making someone some money in La La Land; but its still zee best place for people who've got it goin' on and people who don't have shit but think they could have it if someone would just give them a chance. If you're anywhere in the middle and not trying to move one way or the other head North to the Valley not Frisco, I meant the part about Northern Cal, dude.

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 23rd, 2006, 09:23 PM

Well, I've lived in both. I grew up in (near) LA, and now I live in The Bay.

Both are nice for different reasons. IMO, the bay best replicates the NY feel, to me. There's the BART = Subway system, the fact that 3 HUGE cities are about and hour apart SF, Oakland, and San Jose.

LA is so different, but good. Don't expect public transport to be reliable. Almost EVERYONE drives. LA is great though for good food, and meeting celebs. You really should visit. They're both great, and I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

*JR*
Nov 23rd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Just for you, I've called a few demography experts and polled them and the results follow:

The Bay Area sucks.

Even 14th & Minna? :p

Pheobo
Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
Are you gay? You'll love the gay scene in the Bay Area...if you aren't I think I just ruined it for you.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:36 PM
Can you tell me any more about these areas? How's the nightlife? What things can I do? What's the tennis scene like? Beaches? Clubs? Food?

if u moved to LA we could totally play tennis ;) lol.

Beaches are ok in Los Angeles... they are better down south of LA. Good nightlife, great food, etc. But like what people have said before, LA is more shallow than most other cities in the world. However, if you hang out with the right people, then it won't really matter.... just dont be expecting respect for mind & superhospitality in LA.

kiwifan
Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
Even 14th & Minna? :p

In every desert, an oasis exists.:p

:angel:

http://forum.rscnet.org/images/smilies/auto.gif "Top down chrome spinning - DIGTBK!!!"

Asshole, trying to get me in trouble.

RVD
Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:46 PM

The Bay Area sucks.

Southern Cal rocks.

These people are at the top of their field so I'd go with their evaluation. :angel::spit: :haha: :lol: Family members don't count Kiwifan. :lol:

kiwifan
Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:58 PM
:spit: :haha: :lol: Family members don't count Kiwifan. :lol:

I've been baiting you all day - now I'm too darn Happy about Da Boys whippin' on Tampa to talk trash about Frisco with a straight face. :D

Only static in life today, is I have to find somewhere to watch the next game. :(

We used to have a great Sports Bar, Dublins over here - now they all kinda suck - too Hollywood. :(

Didja check the Playa's Thread?

I've taken over as the Head Playa. :devil: while you were going through education brochures. :smoke:

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:00 AM
well...i'm from New York, but not New York City. I'm two hours north of NYC which equals rural-ness.

So you still think I'll like the Bay Area if I'm not from the city?I'm personally not a fan of The City, but wifie loves it and also works there. At any rate, other than a night life that never dies, the Bay Area is the corridor to the rural life as well. For instance, if you've never visited the wine country [Sonoma & Napa Valley] make that a MUST SEE if you ever decide to visit. Talk about your lush green landscape and the smell of fresh sweet grapes in the air. not to mention world class wine. We've kicked the French's azz so many times that we've spelled out California on it. :lol:

There's also a vast Tri-Valley area where produce is grown. You can make stops along the way and purchase cherries, grapes, strawberries, and a myriad of veggies at the roadside fruit stands. There are horse stables, sheep, cow ranches, right alongside beer plants. :lol: the culture is extremely rich out here.

However, if you prefer acrid and all-consuming smog, then L.A. may be your cup of tea. :tape: :lol:

-----

Thanks for the input guys.

I wanted to move to LA just cuz I don't know what the Bay Area is :confused:

Also, on an aside I sorta hate Thanksgiving because I always have to wake up so freaking early. Seriously. My parents don't know this, but I go to bed at like..6am, I don't wake up then :mad:Aside from the above, there are a host of tennis clubs, schools, and parks in the Bay Area. And half of California is a beach. But then you also have the inner Bay beaches, [one of which I live across the street from] if you prefer a little more peace. ;)

Honestly, I think the only places in America that MIGHT beat us out in the food department is New York. but that's a big MIGHT. Remember, the present day San Francisco is a product of the Gold Rush era. So there is cuisine from every facet of the world here. If you can name it, California has a restaurant that can cook it. :hehehe:

I really should consider a career in advertising. :angel:

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Well, I'll be the lone party pooper and say that I think it's a bad idea....for personal growth, you can't beat the wisdom gained. And as a way to broaden horizons, what's better than getting your hands dirty and experiencing that which most commonly avoid? :)
Besides, it’s for the ‘kids’. And if you take that perspective and run with it, you can’t go wrong.
PLUS, the teachers in California are fine as hell! :lol:

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:09 AM
stinker. :nerner:

a little public service in your early years is good for the soul. :angel: :angel: :angel:

the "big money boys" are going to treat you like a snot nose punk early on anyway (they show love when their recruiting but once they've got you...) so its better to be a little older and world wise, bring more than "book learnin'" to the table. :cool:

but if you come down to the Hotel California...

...you can check in any time you like, but you'll never leave. :devil:

Just from the tennis perspective alone, once you get used to never having to check the weather report before you schedule a match with your buddies...

...you'll come to the conclusion that you'd be crazy to go back to real weather. :p

This of course only applies to Glorious So Cal, up North their weather sucks sooooo bad they have to wear layers in Summer (hot for 3 minutes, then windy for an hour, then it rains for 9 minutes, then its cold as shit for an hour, then its hot again - I've seen this with my own eyes :scared: ):lol: You know, I'm not gonna argue because we do have what's referred to as micro-cells that prevent the weather persons from forecasting accurately. But at least our rain washes away that nasty smog that L.A.ers refer to as nature's incense. :p :lol:

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Well, I've lived in both. I grew up in (near) LA, and now I live in The Bay.

Both are nice for different reasons. IMO, the bay best replicates the NY feel, to me. There's the BART = Subway system, the fact that 3 HUGE cities are about and hour apart SF, Oakland, and San Jose.

LA is so different, but good. Don't expect public transport to be reliable. Almost EVERYONE drives. LA is great though for good food, and meeting celebs. You really should visit. They're both great, and I'm sure you'll be happy either way.Correction...

Oakland to San Francisco = 12 minutes.
Oakland to San Jose = 45 minutes.
:lol: Just thought I'd set the record str8. ;)

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Are you gay? You'll love the gay scene in the Bay Area...if you aren't I think I just ruined it for you.:spit: :haha:
I shouldn't laugh, but... :shrug:

San Francisco has the largest gay and lesbian community in the country. Or so I've heard. :angel:

But I'm laughing because Pheobo made me think of that Australia commercial where they say, "...and we'll throw a shrimp on the Barbie fo ya."
In The City, they'll, "...throw a gay on the Barbie fo ya".
Honestly though, we've got ALL walks of life here. :wavey:

moon
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:18 AM
i got into teaching via a progaram similar to TFA. first year--My advice would be to keep a stiff upper lip concerning the kids. Some of them will welcome the help. Most of them won't.

that being said--if you can hang, it is very fulfulling. :)

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:19 AM
In every desert, an oasis exists.:p

:angel:

http://forum.rscnet.org/images/smilies/auto.gif "Top down chrome spinning - DIGTBK!!!"

Asshole, trying to get me in trouble. :spit: :lol:

No Name Face
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:19 AM
if u moved to LA we could totally play tennis ;) lol.

haha, that'd be fun. if i do this, i'd know no one. i'd need all the friends i could get.

Beaches are ok in Los Angeles... they are better down south of LA. Good nightlife, great food, etc. But like what people have said before, LA is more shallow than most other cities in the world. However, if you hang out with the right people, then it won't really matter.... just dont be expecting respect for mind & superhospitality in LA.

what do you mean by more shallow than most other cities? more than one person has said this. do you mean racist? or judgemental based on looks? do they hate you if you're fat or something? i'm confused by this.

Are you gay? You'll love the gay scene in the Bay Area...if you aren't I think I just ruined it for you.

lol! :lol:
Los Angeles it is, then.

you're not. my mom isn't too ecstatic about it but i figured it's for motherly reasons. why do you think it's a bad idea, hol?

------

okay but seriously, thanks all you guys for the input. keep it coming if you can!

No Name Face
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:21 AM

I feel like nyc is a shallow place, but I guess I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks! I'll be 21 by the time I graduate. Actually I turn 21 in December. And there's no shame in being 25 and in college. At least you're getting higher education, you know?

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I've been baiting you all day - now I'm too darn Happy about Da Boys whippin' on Tampa to talk trash about Frisco with a straight face. :D

Only static in life today, is I have to find somewhere to watch the next game. :(

We used to have a great Sports Bar, Dublins over here - now they all kinda suck - too Hollywood. :(

Didja check the Playa's Thread?

I've taken over as the Head Playa. :devil: while you were going through education brochures. :smoke:I rose late because I hit the sack late. :o
But I'll have to check ya..."at the playa's club"...in a minute. :lol: :wavey:

No Name Face
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:23 AM
i got into teaching via a progaram similar to TFA. first year--My advice would be to keep a stiff upper lip concerning the kids. Some of them will welcome the help. Most of them won't.

that being said--if you can hang, it is very fulfulling. :)

I love kids. I worked as a camp counselor and it was easily the most fulfilling thing I've done to date.

I have two younger sisters so I feel like I can deal with the young'uns. I really hope the kids won't be too jaded when/if I start teaching. That would break my heart. All kids have the right to believe in their dreams...it would totally suck if this isn't the case.

No Name Face
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I'm personally not a fan of The City, but wifie loves it and also works there. At any rate, other than a night life that never dies, the Bay Area is the corridor to the rural life as well. For instance, if you've never visited the wine country [Sonoma & Napa Valley] make that a MUST SEE if you ever decide to visit. Talk about your lush green landscape and the smell of fresh sweet grapes in the air. not to mention world class wine. We've kicked the French's azz so many times that we've spelled out California on it. :lol:

There's also a vast Tri-Valley area where produce is grown. You can make stops along the way and purchase cherries, grapes, strawberries, and a myriad of veggies at the roadside fruit stands. There are horse stables, sheep, cow ranches, right alongside beer plants. :lol: the culture is extremely rich out here.

wait, you mean your wife works in the LA city? or NYC? I have this bad habit of thinking when people say the city they mean NYC...cuz well, i'm from new york.

the rest of what you're saying is totally interesting though...seems like i'll have a lot to do with my limited salary and all :o

However, if you prefer acrid and all-consuming smog, then L.A. may be your cup of tea. :tape: :lol:
Aside from the above, there are a host of tennis clubs, schools, and parks in the Bay Area. And half of California is a beach. But then you also have the inner Bay beaches, [one of which I live across the street from] if you prefer a little more peace. ;)

the bay area seems a little more my speed considering that i don't like nyc that much.

Honestly, I think the only places in America that MIGHT beat us out in the food department is New York. but that's a big MIGHT. Remember, the present day San Francisco is a product of the Gold Rush era. So there is cuisine from every facet of the world here. If you can name it, California has a restaurant that can cook it. :hehehe:

new york does have great food. i prefer my dad's cooking...but then again, who doesn't prefer their parents' cooking?

haha! the sky's the limit!

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Correction...

Oakland to San Francisco = 12 minutes.
Oakland to San Jose = 45 minutes.
:lol: Just thought I'd set the record str8. ;)
...but what I meant was SF - San Jose 57 mins = an hour...I probably didn't articulate it properly, but that's what I meant ;)

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 01:28 AM
wait, you mean your wife works in the LA city? or NYC? I have this bad habit of thinking when people say the city they mean NYC...cuz well, i'm from new york.

the rest of what you're saying is totally interesting though...seems like i'll have a lot to do with my limited salary and all :o

the bay area seems a little more my speed considering that i don't like nyc that much.

new york does have great food. i prefer my dad's cooking...but then again, who doesn't prefer their parents' cooking?

haha! the sky's the limit!:lol: I know what you mean. When people say 'The City', I always assume they are referring to San Francisco. :lol: But no, I meant that wifie works in San Francisco. :)

I find that compared to New York City, San Francisco is markedly less manic. But that was some years ago.
However, there are two VERY IMPORTANT things you need to take heed of concerning San Francisco...

1) The constant [and I do mean perpetual] construction taking place in San Francisco is maddening!! If you know where you are going and how long it takes to get there, then no prob. However, if you or your driver are not familiar with the innumerable detours, then be prepared for a drive through the Twilight Zone. :lol:

2) People will purposely try to run you down. And I'm not saying this to get a rise. From the MUNI , to the cabs, tourists, and regulars, be prepared to run for your life when crossing an intersection [I]WITH THE GREEN LIGHT IN YOUR FAVOR!!! :eek:

Maybe it has to do with people breaking under the stress of the perpetual construction and innumerable detours. :lol:

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 01:35 AM
...but what I meant was SF - San Jose 57 mins = an hour...I probably didn't articulate it properly, but that's what I meant ;)Yeah, that makes sense. I suppose I'm judging the travel 'starting point' from Oakland. :lol:

Actually, now that I think about it, if one were to include realistic traffic congestion, we're both waaaay off. :tape:

This probably a good point in which to warn NNF that the highway system here in Cali is the worst in the country. Unfortunately, Cali has never compensated for the massive influx of immigrants and business and technology boom. :o

*JR*
Nov 24th, 2006, 02:48 AM
2) People will purposely try to run you down. And I'm not saying this to get a rise. From the MUNI , to the cabs, tourists, and regulars, be prepared to run for your life when crossing an intersection [I]WITH THE GREEN LIGHT IN YOUR FAVOR!!! :eek:

Maybe it has to do with people breaking under the stress of the perpetual construction and innumerable detours. :lol:
Actually, its because they've all got roid rage like Barry Bonds. :tape:

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Actually, its because they've all got roid rage like Barry Bonds. :tape:Hey! We don't do drugs up here....:mad:

...we sell em to tourists. :lol: :p

kiwifan
Nov 24th, 2006, 05:09 AM
I feel like nyc is a shallow place, but I guess I'm not sure what you mean.

Slight over simplification, but...

Rent "Swingers" and pay attention to everything that has nothing to do with dancing in the movie. ;)

Rent "LA Story" and pay attention to Sarah Jessica Parker's character. :lol:

If you actually come here PM me and I'll give you all the proper warnings about the "LA Flakes" :angel:...

...you probably won't believe them until you're up close and personal with the locals in the "City of Angels".

:topic:

and I have to redo my "tribute sig"

http://forum.rscnet.org/images/smilies/auto.gif "Top down chrome spinning -always on the winning side - come over to 14th and Minna and I will dunk in your face so hard that it will knock you the f*ck out - DNT!!!

http://www.frybread-hut.com/forums/images/smilies/king.gifDIGTBK!!!http://www.frybread-hut.com/forums/images/smilies/king.gif"

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 24th, 2006, 06:36 AM
more like travel agent. :kiss:

what do you mean by more shallow than most other cities? more than one person has said this. do you mean racist? or judgemental based on looks? do they hate you if you're fat or something? i'm confused by this.
not really racist, but more like judging you before you get to speak. basically... why should i talk to YOU? kind of thing. and even if they do talk to you, they might stop talking to you if they feel you serve no obvious purpoose to them. in other places, people are more friendly, and will be your friend if you are friendly enough to them. mind you, this is just a general statement -- you'll meet a lot of people who aren't like that... it's just more prevalent in Los Angeles than in other cities.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 24th, 2006, 06:39 AM

i dont think la is like nyc as far as pace is concerned. however, it is faster than bay area and more uptight... la is really sprawled out though so a lot depends on where you live in los angeles... at least if you dont like one area you can always move... or hang out in another... just mind your gas.

kiwifan
Nov 24th, 2006, 07:37 AM
more like travel agent. :kiss:

not really racist, but more like judging you before you get to speak. basically... why should i talk to YOU? kind of thing. and even if they do talk to you, they might stop talking to you if they feel you serve no obvious purpoose to them. in other places, people are more friendly, and will be your friend if you are friendly enough to them. mind you, this is just a general statement -- you'll meet a lot of people who aren't like that... it's just more prevalent in Los Angeles than in other cities.

Oh, see now you're giving away the Flake info. :p

They'll stop talking to you - mid conversation - after inviting you to go do something with them that weekend :tape: - and while talking with you are always scanning the room for someone who might "do something for them". :lol:

I've got the superficial "checklist" qualities. So "now" I'm someone they stop conversations to talk to. Even more so when I worked at William Morris. :tape: :lol:

2 weeks after I stopped working at William Morris suddenly chicks who were "very into me" didn't remember my name...

...then the rumors circulate about the new gig and the phone starts ringing again. :haha:

That's the crazy thing about LA Flakes, they're shameless. :lol:

Just understand that for a whole segment of under 40 Los Angeles, socializing is a profession. They're looking for work while sipping those drinks and looking cute.

Gotta love the MAWs :haha:

Now you just have to understand/recognize and "tier" your friends accordingly.

Never mistake a flake for a real friend (although you'll want to because Flakes are usually very hot and lots of fun- go to/know about/can get you into all the right parties - and "on the surface" live the dream life).

And there's no getting rid of the Flakes, because where there's LA success - there are the LA Flakes. Sometimes you can roll with Flakes for months before they "Flake" on you (because sometimes it takes them months before they realize that you can't help them become famous).

The funniest thing about the LA Flakes is that the first thing they usually do is warn you about LA Flakes :lol: and all the phonies in the room...

...then they ask you what you do, who you know...

...and if you're new in town and not attached to a project, that's probably as far as the conversation will go. ;)

Thanks to the Rugby scene, I've got real friends that don't care about what I can do for them - but in the working world of Hollywood, you have to be careful because Flakes have skills -

the main skills are being friendly, attractive and fun. :devil:

If you don't take it all too seriously the whole thing can be lots of fun but if you start buying into the Hollywood scene...

...:explode:

http://forum.rscnet.org/images/smilies/auto.gif "Top down chrome spinning -always on the winning side - come over to 14th and Minna and I will dunk in your face so hard that it will knock you the f*ck out - DNT!!!

http://www.frybread-hut.com/forums/images/smilies/king.gifDIGTBK!!!http://www.frybread-hut.com/forums/images/smilies/king.gif"

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 07:45 AM

They'll stop talking to you - mid conversation - after inviting you to go do something with them that weekend :tape: - and while talking with you are always scanning the room for someone who might "do something for them". :lol:

I've got the superficial "checklist" qualities. So "now" I'm someone they stop conversations to talk to. Even more so when I worked at William Morris. :tape: :lol:

2 weeks after I stopped working at William Morris suddenly chicks who were "very into me" didn't remember my name...

...then the rumors circulate about the new gig and the phone starts ringing again. :haha:

Just understand that for a whole segment of under 40 Los Angeles, socializing is a profession. They're looking for work while sipping those drinks and looking cute.

Never mistake a flake for a real friend (although you'll want to because Flakes are usually very hot and lots of fun- go to/know about/can get you into all the right parties - and "on the surface" live the dream life).

And there's no getting rid of the Flakes, because where there's LA success - there are the LA Flakes. Sometimes you can roll with Flakes for months before they "Flake" on you (because sometimes it takes them months before they realize that you can't help them become famous).

The funniest thing about the LA Flakes is that the first thing they usually do is warn you about LA Flakes :lol: and all the phonies in the room...

...and if you're new in town and not attached to a project, that's probably as far as the conversation will go. ;)

Thanks to the Rugby scene, I've got real friends that don't care about what I can do for them - but in the working world of Hollywood, you have to be careful because Flakes have skills -

If you don't take it all too seriously the whole thing can be lots of fun but if you start buying into the Hollywood scene...

http://www.frybread-hut.com/forums/images/smilies/king.gifDIGTBK!!!http://www.frybread-hut.com/forums/images/smilies/king.gif"Hey kiwifan...?

These “flakes”...:confused:

Ummm...do they wilt in milk?

:haha:

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist. :p

kiwifan
Nov 24th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Hey kiwifan...?
These “flakes”...:confused:
Ummm...do they wilt in milk?
:haha:
Sorry, but I just couldn't resist. :p

No they tend to wilt with time. ;)

The prettier they are the more damage time does. :p

The more damage time does, the better they tend to become as people. :angel:

Goodnight, Buddy. :wavey:

RVD
Nov 24th, 2006, 08:25 AM
No they tend to wilt with time. ;)

The prettier they are the more damage time does. :p

The more damage time does, the better they tend to become as people. :angel:

Goodnight, Buddy. :wavey:

http://www.frybread-hut.com/forums/images/smilies/king.gifDIGTBK!!!http://www.frybread-hut.com/forums/images/smilies/king.gif":wavey: TTFN...

*JR*
Nov 24th, 2006, 01:29 PM
IC that Mr. Kiwi is having some major WCC nostalgia. :lol:

No Name Face
Nov 24th, 2006, 05:27 PM
thanks guys.

well i guess i'll be getting the shit end of the stick because i'm helping out little kids and making bad money.

but i'm told i'm very attractive so maybe chicks will want me for that. ;)
just kidding. maybe i'll still be taken at that point, but who knows.

kiwifan
Nov 24th, 2006, 05:36 PM
thanks guys.

well i guess i'll be getting the shit end of the stick because i'm helping out little kids and making bad money.

Despite everything I posted, Flakes are Fun.

Most of them are teaching, waiting tables, parking cars, drug sales reps, and forever "getting their license in something" etc...to afford the flake lifestyle. ;)

As long as you don't take people too seriously you'll have a great great time.

I just remind myself that if Scott Baio or Pauly Shore walk into the room, I'll find out just how much "she really likes me". :tape: :tape: :tape:

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 24th, 2006, 05:48 PM
thanks guys.

ok so i guess, if you want to be less risky I would move to the Bay Area. You dont have to live in San Francisco if "GAY" offends you. You can live somewhere else that's close.

if you want to be a little more risky, try Los Angeles. You can always dabble within los angeles anyways.

if you want to be super risky, try South Central Los Angeles or another ghetto community... although that may not be as risky for you as West Hollywood ;).

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 24th, 2006, 05:51 PM

hah awesome! I love the Flaky Guide. =)

I think he's going to be working for Teach for America though so I dont think he'll have to deal with those types as much. ;) you never know though... :o

do you watch girlfriends no name face? That should give you more clues on Los Angeles culture.... lol with a feminine twist. Im trying to think of a show that has a more masculine twist on LA but i dont watch much tv....

kiwifan
Nov 24th, 2006, 06:14 PM
hah awesome! I love the Flaky Guide. =)

I think he's going to be working for Teach for America though so I dont think he'll have to deal with those types as much. ;) you never know though... :o

do you watch girlfriends no name face? That should give you more clues on Los Angeles culture.... lol with a feminine twist. Im trying to think of a show that has a more masculine twist on LA but i dont watch much tv....

I was trying not to put the "Flaky Guide" out in public. :lol:

Cuz I love LA...

..."We Love It!!!" :p

Plus I don't think anyone can really believe it until they see it with their own eyes. :haha:

No Name Face
Nov 24th, 2006, 06:32 PM

:lol:
every day!

but seriously? no. lol. maybe i'll watch an episode or two though.