PDA

View Full Version : Which Country Has The Worst Food?

LH2HBH
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Which country & culture has the worst food?

This should be pretty lively!

Pengwin
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:27 PM
Finland

Parsley
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
UK, Poland, Hungary, Scandinavians.

tennismaster8820
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:35 PM
I voted for America, but I love fast food!:help:

Yonie
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:38 PM
Im in england at the moment..and seriously dont like the food...just the chips are okay.

fufuqifuqishahah
I voted for America, but I love fast food!:help:

there's a lot of shit food and crappy eaters in america but at the same time there's so much high level cuisine as well.

i would say....... maybe........ iraq.

Barrie_Dude
The Brits! Yech!

America: Crawfish, BBQ Baby Back Ribs, Shrimp Gumbo, Chicken Fried Steak, TexMex, Pecan Pie, Pralines, Fried Nanners, Rattlesnake, all great eating!:lick: :drool:

Parsley
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:42 PM
there's a lot of shit food and crappy eaters in america but at the same time there's so much high level cuisine as well.

Because you never are Iraqi food? I've been to 2 Iraqi restaurants and they were great. All Middle East and North Africa has a great food culture.

Parsley
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:43 PM
Most good American food are stolen from Mexico. The rest is fried stuff.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:44 PM
Because you never are Iraqi food? I've been to 2 Iraqi restaurants and they were great. All Middle East and North Africa has a great food culture.

lol it was a joke... probably not a very tactful one though >_<

i like middle eastern / north african food as well...

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:46 PM
Most good American food are stolen from Mexico. The rest is fried stuff.

well the question wasn't referring just to the culture... it was also referring to what the country "has"... as in sells to people for eating.

also, american culture is basically infusion, and you get a lot of infusion cuisine in america.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
At least the UK has lots of famous original dishes. All America's known for is fast food junk. :tape: (that's not to say they don't have great *cheap* food, though ;))

The food in the big UK cities is excellent now.

Martian Willow
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Britain has some of the worst food, but it has some of the best food in the world too.

America also has some of the worst food. :)

tennismaster8820
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:53 PM

I know that, that's why i laughed when I saw this thread; every country has something good in it's cuisine, even Iraq! So it all depends on different tastes!

LH2HBH
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
Interesting Article!

Click Here ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Iraq

fnuf7
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:57 PM
I voted for 'other', with Japan/Oriental cuisine in mind. It's just all the stuff like sushi that I don't like *puke* It's quite fish based out there so I dislike quite a bit of it, having said that I literally adore Chinese style crispy duck pancakes :drool:

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
Indian....the food has a weird color to it...and it doesnt taste too good either.

Parsley
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:03 AM
If we are talking about traditional food of countries, UK wins this hands down. Kidney pies, gravy, deep fried mars bars, deep fried fish, fried breakfast (black pudding anyone?). Yuck.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
I voted for 'other', with Japan/Oriental cuisine in mind. It's just all the stuff like sushi that I don't like *puke* It's quite fish based out there so I dislike quite a bit of it, having said that I literally adore Chinese style crispy duck pancakes :drool:

Sushi is amazing :drool:

Anyways I picked Russia even though it probably doesn't have the worst food. I love my british food and the US fast food. And I couldn't be bothered to think about other countries with even worse food.

Pengwin
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:07 AM
Black pudding is really nice.

Parsley
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:10 AM
Black pudding is really nice.

Black pudding is boiled pig's blood in a length of intestine.

http://blog.terrorpilot.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/vomit-smiley-020.gif

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:14 AM

I wanna say that is nasty but hell i love chitterlins lol (pig intestines)

Blu€
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:21 AM
I hate Mexican food! burritos, fajitas, guacamole..... :fiery: :fiery:

Love Sheppard's Pie & Trifle! UK Food rocks!

tennismaster8820
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:21 AM

That sounds terrible!
I could never eat bloody steaks, it's pretty common in England!

Parsley
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:23 AM
That sounds terrible!
I could never eat bloody steaks, it's pretty common in England!

I hate blood and white fat on my meat.

In UK supermarkets, all red meat comes with LOTS of fat.

tennismaster8820
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:32 AM
I hate blood and white fat on my meat.

In UK supermarkets, all red meat comes with LOTS of fat.

Yes, me too. I hate fat, so when I eat meat, I always remove all white parts!
When I was young I was obsessed with it, so my parents had a very difficult job convincing me to eat some meals!

!<blocparty>!
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:32 AM
It's delicious - have it with my English breakfast fry-up every morning caked in HP brown sauce :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

:scared:

JUSTICE4ALL
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:35 AM
Umm America has the largest and most popular restaurants in the world!

NyCPsU
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:47 AM
america for sure..i hate most fast food

Diam's
Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:57 AM
Cacada :rocker2:

Scotso
Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:30 AM
Uk

skanky~skanketta
Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:34 AM
from the sounds of it, russia!

treufreund
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:30 AM
Russian food that I had made by a babushka was simply divine!

Mexican food seems to be the same old shit wrapped up in different things. Very overrated.

kiwifan
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:47 AM
Seems to me you're either answering correctly, England or you're showing the usual blind hatred for...

:devil:

the superpowers

Brett.
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:51 AM
Morrocan food! :spit: :help:

M2k
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:57 AM
Seems to me you're either answering correctly, England or you're showing the usual blind hatred for...

the superpowers

:lol: you are such a little devil :devil:

plus who doesn't like hamburgers? :confused: I love them :drool:

M2k
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:03 AM
Mexican food seems to be the same old shit wrapped up in different things. Very overrated.

I hate Mexican food! burritos, fajitas, guacamole..... :fiery: :fiery:

pfffff :rolleyes:

anyways Mex food is fantastic Flan,Seviche de Camaron, Margaritas, Pan de Azucar, salsa and chips, Camaron a la Diabla, Tequila donuts, and Spinach Enchiladas :drool:

kiwifan
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:20 AM
:lol: you are such a little devil :devil:

plus who doesn't like hamburgers? :confused: I love them :drool:

The movie "Barcelona" addresses the Hamburger debacle...

...short version is...

...you can only judge a burger if you've had it handed to you from a grill in an American backyard. :drool:

Judging by MickyDees is as fair as us Yanks judging "Asian" based on the Jade Pagoda/Panda Express chain. :p

Brett.
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:25 AM
Engililias - can't spell! lol! Its a mexican food which is my favourite

James
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:27 AM
Engililias - can't spell! lol! Its a mexican food which is my favourite

You mean Enchiladas?

Brett.
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:34 AM
You mean Enchiladas?

Thanks - thats correct! My favourite food!

fifiricci
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:47 AM
Without being defensive, I wonder how many people who voted for the UK, did so on the basis of the stereotype, rather than based on actual experience?

I agree with Bloc Party - there are hordes of really good restaurants all over the UK (yes, there are civilised bits beyond London ;) ) and me and my contemporaries believe we eat very well indeed in an ordinary Welsh city thank you very much. That "greasy spoon" image is pretty old hat now don't you think? They hardly exist any more. And with reference to the thread starter, I can't remember the last time I had a "greasy burger" in a pub? Pub food in the UK is not half bad in general terms, although you'll obviously come across the odd nightmare establishment every so often, just like you would in every other country on the planet.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:25 AM
Filipino food

Kunal
Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:26 AM
greasy pub burgers...

Parsley
Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:22 AM
Morrocan food! :spit: :help:

1. It's not spellend like that.

2. I guess you've never eaten couscous, tajine, pastilla, harira etc.

mandy7
Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:24 AM
France, just cause they overcook their food and give it fancy names, doesn't mean it's good.

watchdogfish
Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
Without being defensive, I wonder how many people who voted for the UK, did so on the basis of the stereotype, rather than based on actual experience?

I agree with Bloc Party - there are hordes of really good restaurants all over the UK (yes, there are civilised bits beyond London ;) ) and me and my contemporaries believe we eat very well indeed in an ordinary Welsh city thank you very much. That "greasy spoon" image is pretty old hat now don't you think? They hardly exist any more. And with reference to the thread starter, I can't remember the last time I had a "greasy burger" in a pub? Pub food in the UK is not half bad in general terms, although you'll obviously come across the odd nightmare establishment every so often, just like you would in every other country on the planet.

I agree with you and also most of our food now is influenced by other cultures anyway. Stereotypes are dangerous things ;)

Veritas
Nov 23rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
Germany has some pretty bad food. Especially those things they call "sausages" :tape:

France isn't that much better. I like the meat, especially their rare-cooked beef, but the onion soup is gross :help:

Qrystyna
Nov 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
North Korea... such bland food, even the "italian" restaurant I went to there, the food tasted like cardboard.

V-MAC
Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:02 PM
Which country & culture has the worst food?

This should be pretty lively!

You've turned into a poll making machine lately :o

timafi
Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
the UK by far:help:
baby just in case you're reading this I love you:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: but your food stinks:tape: :tape: :tape:
hope we can still be together after this?:help: :unsure: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

"Sluggy"
Nov 23rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
Sorry Gang, but Dutch food totally is the pits, it sucks.

James
Nov 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM

Which Dutch food did you try?

"Sluggy"
Nov 23rd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Which Dutch food did you try?

well the only thing really "dutch" that the locals speak of is like some mixture of potatos or something, and those people didnt really say it was particularly good. There are some good vietnames and thai restaurants in the Dam though, but other than that, it's all french fries, pizza, gyros and the like. try do deny it.:lol:

James
Nov 23rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
well the only thing really "dutch" that the locals speak of is like some mixture of potatos or something, and those people didnt really say it was particularly good. There are some good vietnames and thai restaurants in the Dam though, but other than that, it's all french fries, pizza, gyros and the like. try do deny it.:lol:

There is more to Dutch cuisine than that. I never said it was particualrly spectacular, but there is more than a mix of potatos. So you should really go back and try out the rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_cuisine

"Sluggy"
Nov 23rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
There is more to Dutch cuisine than that. I never said it was particualrly spectacular, but there is more than a mix of potatos. So you should really go back and try out the rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_cuisine

I am going to spend 3 weeks next Summer in Holland, by the beach. It's near Bergen, a nice tourist resort and near the cheesemarket - Sluggy loves Holland, holland is nice, and the people are very down to earth. Of course there is delicious dutch food, it's just that Amsterdam caters to the tourist crowd and there is no reason to prepare super-quality foods, when you can sell fast foods just as well - the shere volume of tourists makes it necessary to provide american-style fast foods.

James
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:19 PM
I am going to spend 3 weeks next Summer in Holland, by the beach. It's near Bergen, a nice tourist resort and near the cheesemarket - Sluggy loves Holland, holland is nice, and the people are very down to earth. Of course there is delicious dutch food, it's just that Amsterdam caters to the tourist crowd and there is no reason to prepare super-quality foods, when you can sell fast foods just as well - the shere volume of tourists makes it necessary to provide american-style fast foods.

That is true, but you should try and make an effort to get away from the tourist traps and sample some real Dutch cuisine.

pigmalion
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:20 PM
the worst for me is the german food, how awfull :tape:

Stavie
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
to me its all the too spicy and chilly food :bolt:

The Crow
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Have no idea about Russian food, but I hesitated between USA and UK. Voted for UK in the end.

The Netherlands deserves to be on the poll as well ;)

The Crow
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:30 PM
James, typical Dutch cuisine makes me think of the famous "kroket" with a glass of milk :p

Drake1980
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
:lol: great thread

Staticbeef
Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Spain by far

-Ph51-
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:02 PM
I dare not say...oh well...obviously the UK:tape:

..ikke..
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
I really hate Dutch food :weirdo:
There are some really nasty things, just like 'boerenkool', 'andijvie' and lots of other things that are grose
Most things are vegetables and I really really don't like them
We do have some good things like a 'frikadel' and a 'kroket' (both are snacks :p) but I don't like most of typical Dutch things

Just Do It
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
Uk :tape:

James
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
James, typical Dutch cuisine makes me think of the famous "kroket" with a glass of milk :p

That's typical indeed, but hardly anything to remember. "Kroketten" are really gross. We have so much more to offer. :lol:

James
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:58 PM
I really hate Dutch food :weirdo:
There are some really nasty things, just like 'boerenkool', 'andijvie' and lots of other things that are grose
Most things are vegetables and I really really don't like them
We do have some good things like a 'frikadel' and a 'kroket' (both are snacks :p) but I don't like most of typical Dutch things

But vegetables are good for you. :p

-Ph51-
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:59 PM
That's typical indeed, but hardly anything to remember. "Kroketten" are really gross. We have so much more to offer. :lol:

Like what? :devil:

Bayo
Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
the worst for me is the german food, how awfull :tape:
It's no surprise that most American classics are German derivatives. My mother used to make Jagerschnitzel, and it was pretty good. I like the potato pancakes too.

I actually went with Russia for the poll though. I tried Russian cusine in a Russian language course once and it just wasn't my style. Most people liked the Borsch (beetroot soup) at least. Not me.

fifiricci
Nov 24th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I dare not say...oh well...obviously the UK:tape:

Oh well, if we're all getting down and dirty with the gloves off, I would have to say that one of my worst culinary experiences came on a recent holiday to ................................ no not Belgium (that was worse in other and spookier ways ;) ) ............................................ the Czech Republic!!

Tepid grey potato dumplings and very poor quality meat. Only made up for by the absolutely fantastic Czech beer and of course the beautiful city of Prague :devil:

Wolf-man
Nov 24th, 2006, 09:39 AM
UK's is the best :sobbing:

ico4498
Nov 24th, 2006, 09:47 AM
immigrants rescued Britain.

traditional British cuisine owes a huge debt to their converted subjects.

fish & chips (wrapped in the daily) is a strange delight.

Chirac once quipped, "Britain's only contribution to Euro cusine was mad cow."

sanpo
Nov 24th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Indian and Vietnamese.
Indian foods have this strong odor and taste. Though I have to say Curry is an exception.

James
Nov 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Like what? :devil:

Try reading the Wikipedia article I posted earlier and maybe there is something you would enjoy. :angel:

"Sluggy"
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Boy you said a "mouthful". :lol:

tennislover
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:42 PM
UK & USA of course

timafi
Nov 24th, 2006, 01:04 PM
UK's is the best :sobbing:

soooooooooo not but chin up mate:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :kiss: :kiss:

frenchie
Nov 24th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Germany and GB:help: their "fruhstuck" and "breakfast" are just disgusting to me!! How can you eat ham, eggs, beans.... early in the morning???:rolleyes:

Josh B.
Nov 24th, 2006, 01:44 PM
France, do i have to say anymore than frogs legs and snails, eeeeewwwwwwwww

Tom13
Nov 24th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Clearly UK. I have been once in the UK and I will never forget this experience. Pizza with cucumbers and french fries on the pizza. But they also make french fries with lasagna. :banghead: That was awful. But they don't seem to realise that their food is horrible. The only way to eat correct food in UK is to go in an indian restaurant but that's expensive.

On the contrary I have heard it's possible to eat correct food in the US. There is some good restaurant and some specialities are very good. For example Jambalaya. :drool:

Scandinavians food is on the same level than british one anyway.

I don't know russian food but that can't be worst than british and scandinavians one.

Diam's
Nov 24th, 2006, 01:55 PM
France, do i have to say anymore than frogs legs and snails, eeeeewwwwwwwww

and horsemeat :drool: and dog meat :drool:

Josh
Nov 24th, 2006, 02:13 PM
The worst I've ever eaten was in the Netherlands but I'm sure they have good food as well. I've eaten several times in the UK as well and it was ok although if you compare the food served in comparable cheap restaurants across Europe, the UK comes out as the worst.

CooCooCachoo
Nov 24th, 2006, 02:37 PM
The Americans only just beat the Brits.

Wolf-man
Nov 24th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Germany and GB:help: their "fruhstuck" and "breakfast" are just disgusting to me!! How can you eat ham, eggs, beans.... early in the morning???:rolleyes:

so stereotypical. most Brits have cornflakes or other cereal, or toast for breakfast. :)

The Crow
Nov 24th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Err, breakfast is the only good thing about British cuisine :p

!<blocparty>!
Nov 24th, 2006, 03:47 PM
so stereotypical. most Brits have cornflakes or other cereal, or toast for breakfast. :)

You don't eat a cooked breakfast at like 6/7am, anyway. Well I never have. It's more of a brunch meal.

Wolf-man
Nov 24th, 2006, 03:51 PM
You don't eat a cooked breakfast at like 6/7am, anyway. Well I never have. It's more of a brunch meal.

The only time I ever do is Christmas morning, around 11am :smoke:

rrfnpump
Nov 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM

I like eating a boiled egg in the morning (but mostly on the weekends), I would also not eat ham for breakfast. Ironically, most germans eat ham, eggs and beans at McDonalds :lol:

I voted for UK :)