PDA

View Full Version : Among these forgotten 80s singers, who was the best?

Parsley
Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:42 AM
Among these forgotten 80s singers, who was the best?

Barrie_Dude
Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:53 AM
Belinda

mirzalover
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:13 AM
paula she had great songs from what my mom told me and she wrote that song( spin something:shrug: ) for kylie minogue so i voted for her

CondiLicious
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:22 AM
Easily Belinda. I've been going through a Belinda phase lately. I've been playing "Heaven Is A Place On Earth", "Leave A Light On", "Circle In The Sand" and "I Get Weak" a lot lately. Classic songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qQxpTogxxE She was hot. If I'd have been a grown-up in the 1980's I'd have totally lusted after her.

StarDuvallGrant
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:27 AM
I love Lisa's voice.

bionic71
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:30 AM
Let me dive into my cd collection......

Although most of these artists never again repeated the heady heights they attained in their 80s heyday...most have continued to record and perform well beyond their 80s heyday. It is almost criminal that many of their finest albums have been ignored....as record companies continue to source the "next best thing", whilst talented and proven performers are left to shop around for their own recording and publishing deals....

LISA STANSFIELD...who was originally given her first big break as the lead singer of Blue Zone during the 80s, has recorded many albums since her first solo project "Affection". The track "All Around THe World" in 1989 was a major hit both in Europe and the USA...and follow up singles did well also. Her second album "Real Love" (91) sold very well also.....the track "All Woman" was a huge Adult Contemporary, Pop and R&B crossover hit in the USA.

She had no mainstream hits in the USA beyond that, but her profile remained high. She won A Brit Award for Best UK Female (circa 92 or 93....can't remember). Her third album "A Little Bit Of Heaven" was popular in many European territories...as was her fourth release "Lisa Stansfield" from 1997. The singles from her 97 album became huge Billboard Dance Club hits....her first USA schart uccess for many years.

A fabulous album "Face Up" was released in 2001 (my personal fav!)....however it did not see a USA release at all. The single "Lets Just Call It Love" was a European hit...notably in Germany and Holland.

A 2 disc greatest hits "Biography" cd was released in 2003...
As recently as 2004 she released a new album..."The Moment"...produced by Trevor Horn who recently produced the new Pet Shop Boys cd. She continues to tour throughout Europe.

KIM WILDE released a new album earlier this year....which included new songs and reworked older material. It has been in the Scandanavian charts over the past few months and appears to be on the release schedule in other territories for Jan 2007 and beyond.

Her 1981 self titled debut KIM WILDE was a surprise hit in Europe....the hits "Kids In America" and "Chequered Love" becoming signature songs. At the time she was heavily criticised for being a Blondie replica. She released the albums "Select" (82), Catch As Catch Can (83) and Teases and Dares (84) in quick succession...building a strong following and touring extensively in the UK and Europe.

Her big world wide hit came in 1986 when she covered the Supremes track "You Keep Me Hanging On"...reaching No#1 in the USA, Australia and various territories throughout Europe. The album "Another Step" followed, however it did not perform as expected.

Close (1989)...my favourite album...included the hits "You Came", "Love In A Natural Way" and "Four Letter Word". This set is easily her most complete album. It was around this time that she supported Michael Jackson on his world tour.

Her 90s efforts.... "Love Moves" (90), "Love Is" (92) and "Now And Forever" (95) performed poorly on world charts. A Greatest Hits was issued in 1993...which sold well and included the hit "If I Can't Have You"....the track was huge in Australia.

BELINDA CARLISLE had huge solo success after leaving the The Go Go's in 1985. Her debut solo project "Belinda" included the hit "Mad About You". In 1987 the "Heaven On Earth" album was a huge project...with Carlisle going through a super redhead make-over (channeling Ann Margaret). The single "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" was a worldwide hit and subsequent singles maintained her profile across the world.

US chart perrformance was poor for her third album "Runaway Horses" (89). The singles "Leave A Light On", "Summer Rain" and "La Luna" all missing the US Top 10, but were hits elsewhere. In Australia the album was a huge success and the singles performed well on the charts.
During this time she embarked on a world tour.

Her 90s albums..."Live Your Life Be Free" (91), "Real" (93) and "A Woman And A Man" (96) were not commercial successes..although various singles dis well in some territories and kept her profile high.

A new album "Viola" is scheduled for release in January of 2007.....Her first new release, excluding Greatest Hits packages, since 1996.

MARTIKA.....if I remember correctly she got her start on kids tv in the USA. She was basically moulded into a Madonna styled pop tart by her record company. Her first single "Toy Soldiers" showed much promise....and reached the top spot in THE US as well as many international markets...
The first album "Martika" (89) produced further hits.... "More Than you Know" and I Feel The Earth Move". Her second album was not a success, despite it being a huge project which involved Prince, amongst other highly regarded producers of the time......the Prince penned single "Love...Thy Will Be Done" being the only single to perform on world wide charts from her second album. Greatest Hits packages followed and a sample from "Toy Soldiers", used on an Eminem track, revived some interest in her solo work in recent years.

PAULA ABDUL....Success was limited to a three album deal in the late 80s to the mid 90s. A cheerleader and choreographer by trade, she found the transition to pop singer effortless...her music videos often included extensive dance routines....
Her 1988 debut, "Forever Your Girl" included the Top 10 US hits "Forever Your Girl", "Straight Up", "Opposites Attract" and "Cold Hearted". The followup "Spellbound" (91) included the huge hit "Rush Rush". 1995's "Head Over Heals" produced the fabulous "My Love Is For Real". Public interest vanished soon after. Despite a high public profile as a judge on American Idol, a recent Greatest Hits package failed to reignite any interest in her music career. She is credited as co-writer on Kylie Minogues hit from 2000 "Spinning Around"

TIFFANY...best remember as the teenage shopping mall phenomenon...."I Think We're Alone Now" being her huge 1988 debut single from the album "Tiffany". Subsequent albums failed to make any impression....."Hold An Old Friends Hand" (1989),"Dreams Never Die" (1993)...released in Japan only.....There are other albums from the 90s that I do not have and cannot remember any details of them.

Profile returned somewhat in 2005 with an album of dance music...."Dust Off And Dance"....was a reasonable collection of songs that failed to sell due to lack of promotion and the small independent label used for distribution. Apparently a new cd is in the works!

As for SANDRA .....she is a actually a duo from Germany. Unless you are referring to a performer I am unaware of. She is often considered to be a solo artist though.

Incredibly successful throughout Europe for over 20 years....notably in Germany. I only have a few albums "Long Play" and "Mirrors" from the 80s, "Painting In Yellow" from the 90s.

Sandra and her collaborator Micheal Creta are also ENIGMA.....who had major world wide success in the 90s....remember the track "Sadness Part One".

They continue to sell today...a remixed package "Reflections the Remixes" was released last year.

moby
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:07 AM
Debbie Gibson. :banana:

But in some circles, she's not forgotten. :D

Infiniti2001
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:14 AM
Definitely Berlinda Carlisle--- Loved her :P

ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth ?
ooh heaven is a place on earth
They say in heaven love comes first
We'll make heaven a place on earth
Ooh heaven is a place on earth

What ever happened to Martika Miss Toy soldiers? I still have that single cassette http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4152/lff3oj7.gif

quasar
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:40 AM
Belinda, really hot woman (as her Playboy pics damn well attest), and "Heaven is a Place on Earth" is one of my favorite all-time tunes: Great rithym and very catchy.

Cheers,

Carlos

Scotso
Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:53 AM
Ann and Nancy Wilson :worship:

Brαm
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/versie2/nieuws/details/060812Zomerhit/M_060813_ZH_KimWildePrijs-20060813-122218.jpg

Kim Wilde!

^bibi^
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Kim Wilde

^bibi^
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Oh shit I didn't see there was Sandra, would have voted for her :sad:

Sam L
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
What about Janet Jackson?

mandy7
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
belinda
cause kim ain't forgotten
she was in the top 50 here a few weeks ago

Parsley
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
There was also Mel and Kim.

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
:hearts: BELINDA! :hearts:

kabuki
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM
If by best you mean most well-known, then by all means, Belinda, as most of you seem to think.

If by best you mean best singer, it is Lisa Stansfield, by far.

Grohl
Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
I liked Kim Wilde and Tiffany
but Kim had a hit over here not too long ago,
so can't vote her

Martian Willow
Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:27 PM
TIFFANY...best remember as the teenage shopping mall phenomenon....

No, shes best remembered for the mohair jumper/dress she wore on TOTP and the strange vogueing during the middle eight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a3TU7zbh-E :p I Think We're Alone Now is better than anything Belinda did, but Belinda had more good songs. But then she did that strange warbling vibrato too. Kim Wildes best song was a Motown cover. I don't remember Martika or Sandra. :)

Grohl
Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
No, shes best remembered for the mohair jumper/dress she wore on TOTP and the strange vogueing during the middle eight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a3TU7zbh-E :p I Think We're Alone Now is better than anything Belinda did, but Belinda had more good songs. But then she did that strange warbling vibrato too. Kim Wildes best song was a Motown cover. I don't remember Martika or Sandra. :)

I love that song

MLF
Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:35 PM
What ever happened to Martika Miss Toy soldiers?

She is now in a band called Oppera who have released two albums, the most recent was a self-titled effort released in 2005.

From that list my favourite is Kim Wilde but I remember them all well. Tiffany put out a decent album in 2000 which was called 'The Color Of Silence' which was in the mould of people like 'Jagged Little Pill' era Alanis Morissette and Natalie Imbruglia and got good reviews, Billboard loved it. You can hear snippets here : http://cdbaby.com/cd/tiffanysongs

Tiffany was a finalist in the show in the UK 'Hit Me Baby One More Time'.
Here's a quick interview and clip of her singing 'Love Machine' by Girls Aloud on the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEdbCzY2Yds

-Ph51-
Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/versie2/nieuws/details/060812Zomerhit/M_060813_ZH_KimWildePrijs-20060813-122218.jpg

Kim Wilde!

i agree :)

Dawn Marie
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Lisa Stansfield. I love Belinda but her songs were a bit too campy. Oh I kow every word and sing them all the time. Yet something about that song "Been around the World" that maked me want to download it for my music collection. I never downloaded any of the GoGo's songs. All though I love them as a group.

*Jool*
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Sade ;)

Parsley
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
Sade ;)

Sade is not forgotten. Her Lovers Rock album sold millions just 3-4 years ago.

Parsley
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
Martika:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg-cF3U-sBk

Parsley
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Sandra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARag0BGJZh8

Kart
Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
There was also Mel and Kim.

RIP Mel :sad:.

I like Belinda Carlisle most of the list.

Kim Wilde was on TV a while back - isn't she a landscape gardener now ?

I've never heard of Sandra, I'm obviously too young ;).

!Gio!
Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
I really like Belinda and Kim.
But I had to go with Belinda there was something special about her.
Great career with the GoGos and great solo career.

watchdogfish
Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Belinda Carlisle

Parsley
Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
Belinda's voice was quite weak tho. She had catchy tunes and she looks great.

KV
Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:46 PM
Kim Wilde followed by Belinda Carlisle

*JR*
Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:29 PM
Voted for Tiffany, but would have chosen Nena if she was listed.

As ninety-nine, red baloons go by :worship:

kiwifan
Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:40 PM
I love Lisa's voice.

That's why I voted for Lisa. :cool:

Although I like the GoGos (her solo stuff, not nearly as much) more than anyone else in the poll. :p

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
Belinda

Bероника
Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:24 PM
I have not forgotten any of them ;) My favourites were Belinda :drool: , Sandra and Martika.

Jakeev
Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:11 PM
Loved Belinda but I also thought Martika was rather underrated. Really think she should have been a bigger star than she was.

bionic71
Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:45 PM

Silly me...how could I forget that dance routine.

G-Ha
Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:18 PM
if we're talking actual talent and vocal ability, it's lisa stansfield, by far...the others aren't even close to her league...

Parsley
Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:59 PM
Sandra - In the heat of the night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZbk86x-GxM

:worship:

Barrie_Dude
Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:18 PM
This is whom I really miss in as far as singers go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZMmrwZoBBE